GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/18/2021 10:50 am  #1

2021-2022 GW & A-10 magazine preview

I got a copy of Lindy's College Basketball magazine and will share some things they wrote about GW, the A-10 and other notable tidbits about the upcoming season. Unfortunately, they printed this BEFORE Ira Lee's injury news. They picked GW to finish 9th, one spot ahead of George Mason. The write-up on GW mentions that Jamion Christian had the reputation of being 'Mr. Fix-It' after his successes at Mount St. Mary's and Siena but there are some questions after GW finished 5-12 last season.

Everything else mainly focuses on the incoming transfers, the GW coaches view Ricky Lindo as a legitimate pro prospect. Adams played in 78 games at UConn but struggles with his outside shot by shooting just 26.9% from 3 point range. Bamisile was once a top 75 high school prospect, comes from the same area in Virginia as JC and his athleticism has the GW coaches excited They also write that Brayon Freeman bears watching because he brings floor general instincts and could help take pressure off Bishop as an extra ball handler and playmaker

They name 3 All-Conference teams, 2 GW players made the list and they are surprises to me for different reasons.  Lindo and Bishop are both on the All-Conference 3rd Team. I thought Bishop would be 1st or 2nd team, and I'm surprised that Lindo was picked on the 3rd team because he only played half of the year and I figured most outlets will overlook him. Bishop was named the 'Most Entertaining' player in the A-10. 

About the A-10 Newcomers, the #1 signing coup is Dayton incoming freshman DaRon Holmes of Montverde Academy, he chose Dayton over a bunch of BCS schools. They also list D.Holmes as The Best Rebounder, The Most Likely To Wear An NBA Uniform First and Best shot at all-conference this season of all the A-10 newcomers. Dayton added transfers from Georgia and DePaul(Kobe Elvis..what a name!!), and have incoming freshman Lynn Greer III, the son of the former Temple player.  They list George Mason coach Kim English(yet another outlet who is high on him) as having the Most Impact since he brought D'Shawn Schwartz with him from Colorado. D.Schwartz scored 31 points in the Colorado's 2 NCAA tournament games last year.

About the former GW players, they mention that Jamison Battle will be Minnesota's top frontcourt option. Minnesota actually had 11 players transfer out when they fired Pitino Jr, they've had 2 players suffer torn ACL's during the summer and are picked to finished in last place. For those of us who thought Terry Nolan Jr. would go to Towson and dominate..Not So Fast!! It looks as if they brought in a more heralded transfer in UT-Martin transfer Cam Holden, he averaged about 15ppg/8rebs last season and was 2nd team All-Ohio Valley Conference. Towson also brought in transfer guard Antonio Rizzuto from Albany, who was 2nd Team All-American East. Delaware is picked to finish 1st in the CAA as they return all 5 starters, so Jameer Nelson Jr. could be on a great team but have a somewhat secondary role, at least for this season. Maceo Jack could be in a similar situation to JNJ as Buffalo is picked to finish 1st in the Mid-American conference and return 4 starters, including the Preseason Player of the Year choice Josh Mballa.

PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH:
1. St. Bonaventure
2. Richmond
3. VCU
4. St. Louis
5. Dayton
6. Davidson
7. St. Joseph's
8. Rhode Island
9. GW
10. George Mason
11. La Salle
12. UMass
13. Duquesne 
14. Fordham

PLAYER OF THE YEAR           Javonte Perkins       St. Louis
NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR   D'Shawn Schwartz   George Mason
TOP SHOOTER                        Hyunjung Lee           Davidson
TOP REBOUNDER                  Osun Osunniyi          St. Bonaventure
TOP DEFENDER                     Jacob Gilyard            Richmond
TOP PLAYMAKER                   Kyle Lofton                St. Bonaventure
MOST VERSATILE                  Jordan Hall                St. Joseph's
TOP NBA PROSPECT             Javonte Perkins        St. Louis
MOST ENTERTAINING           James Bishop          GW

ALL CONFERENCE TEAMS:
1st Team
Jacob Gilyard,     SR       Richmond
Kyle Lofton,         SR       St. Bonaventure
Javonte Perkins, SR       St. Louis
Grant Golden,     SR       Richmond
Osun Osunniyi,   SR       St. Bonaventure

2nd Team
Jaren Holmes,          SR           St. Bonaventure
Vince Williams,         SR           VCU
Tyler Burton,             JR           Richmond
Jordan Hall,              SOPH     St. Joe's
D'Shawn Schwartz   SR          George Mason - transfer from Colorado

3rd Team
James Bishop,       JR      GW
Dominick Welch       SR      St. Bonaventure
Hyunjung Lee          JR       Davidson
Toumani Camara,    SOPH  Dayton - transfer from Georgia
Ricky Lindo Jr.      JR      GW  

9/18/2021 11:33 am  #2

Re: 2021-2022 GW & A-10 magazine preview

Great post T

James Bishop and Lindo picked for all A10 teams

Last edited by The Dude (9/18/2021 4:09 pm)

9/20/2021 9:34 am  #3

I think that even playing without Ira Lee, there's no reason why we should not be able to escape bottom 4 territory.  I think their predicted bottom 4 will be the bottom 4.  UMASS has not come close to reloading properly and should be headed for a major fall.  Maybe McCall can do it again but he's back to square one.  Duquesne has also lost a lot but Dambrot is a damn good coach so that should scare us a bit.  It's hard to believe that so many have jumped ship under his watch.  First, he lost his best inherited players but that happens a lot.  Lately though, he's been losing his own recruits.  It's one thing if this is happening so that the team is getting better (which is presumably what's happening at GW).  However, when you lose your own recruits and you don't appear to be improving as  a result, that's problematic.

I think the team that Lindy's might be sleeping on a bit is Dayton.  It's very common to undervalue programs who lose key players because the so-called experts are not as familiar with the newcomers or the guys who will be taking on expanded roles.  Dayton has reloaded as well as anyone in the conference and I will be very surprised if they don't receive a double bye.  Richmond has the talent and the experience but there's a lack of a killer instinct about them that would have me concerned.  And, the one key guy they lost, Blake Francis, personified that killer instinct as much as anyone on that team.

I do see GW in that pack of teams along with URI, Davidson, Mason and St. Joe's, all jockeying for position.   

9/20/2021 9:46 am  #4

One quick observation with Grant Golden projected as all A-10 first team.
  Doesn't Richmond seem to have long history of big men who torment GW--and seem
to  have on average, say 7 or 8 years of eligibility? Sure seems that way.
  I half-expect TJ Cline to come out of the stands and play against us , joined by Santos-Silva, Mo Allie-Cox returning to basketball in the NFL off season and probably even Larry Sanders.

9/20/2021 10:54 am  #5

JF, Dan Geriot was another of those Richmond bigs who presumably stayed for 10 years.  Santos-Silva, Alie-Cox and Sanders were all VCU guys, but your point is well taken.

9/20/2021 5:17 pm  #6

Santos-Silva is still playing at Texas Tech now, as he decided to stay for his Super Senior year.

Since GW will be playing them early in the season, Maryland is picked to finish 6th in the Big 10, Eric Ayala and Georgetown transfer Qudus Wahab were named to the All-Big 10's 3rd Team. 

Other notable former A-10 players that are still around are, AJ Wilson(another guy who seemed to have a 7 or 8 years of eligibility) at South Carolina, Justin Kier at Arizona and Kellan Grady at Kentucky, he scored over 2,000 points at Davidson.

GWMayhem,  UMass kept 2 or 3 of the guys they recruited from that one prep school(Woodstock Academy?) and they brought in a guard from Boston College(Rich Kelly), so McCall still has a few building blocks left over. I was surprised to see that Tre Mitchell transferred Texas because he may end up being the 3rd best newcomer/transfer on the team and 4th or 5th best player on the team. I thought he'd transfer to a school where he could be the #1 option based on how his high school recruitment went. I believe T.Mitchell had a high school or AAU coach dictating his recruitment

9/20/2021 9:50 pm  #7

I’ve watched DeShawn Schwartz a lot.  I think Mason fans are going to be disappointed with all these expectations of him being transformative.  Schwartz never showed the ability to be the main man at Colorado.  He was a very nice glue guy for them.  But he was a role player who didn’t handle the ball much, didn’t command really any defensive attention (it was all PG McKinley Wriight and a couple of bigs and two years ago they also had Tyler Bey who is in the NBA).  He shot well from three but usually only when wide open, and played good defensive (though didn’t produce steals or blocks).

Maybe Schwartz is actually a star who never got his chance to shine, but I’ll be surprised if he really is a transformative star, rather than a great glue guy. 

Without the injury, Ira Lee would have had a much bigger impact, in my opinion.

9/20/2021 11:45 pm  #8

Mark Schmidt, and Mooney, well into their 2nd decades at their schools, but, particularly Mooney, on the hot seat at times, sit together atop the A10 now.

Both rewarding the schools for sticking with them, and for themselves, a huge benefit by not jumping at the first Power 5 offers which surely came their way.  

Mooney was 8-22 and 4-12 his second year, the calls were out for his head that year, and often in the years ahead. Well, look where things.

Schmidt, has been even better.

9/21/2021 7:46 am  #9

More reasons to "love" the new transfer rule. (As just as it is especially since the last thing the NCAA wants to do is enforce rules), Bona saw all the guys who weren't slated to be starters transfer. But yes Dude Schmidt is right up there with McKillop. His program has a strong identity and he develops guys into stars and he LOVES the school he is at. And the school and town love him back. But, yes I'm gonna be watching the Top 6 in the A-10 this year.

As for GW my question is, "Is my team ever going to be hard to play against?"

9/21/2021 10:03 am  #10

There is a world of difference between the careers of Mooney and Schmidt.  The enormous difference boils down to the programs they inherited and subsequently the starting points in which they had to build their programs.  Last 5 coaches at each school:

Rich:

Mooney        288-231  .555    2 NCAA's in 16 years
Wainwright     49-42    .538    1 NCAA in 3 seasons
Beilein          100-53    .654    1 NCAA in 5 seasons
Dooley            43-69    .384    0 NCAA's
Tarrant          239-126  .655    5 NCAA's in 12 seasons

SBU:

Schmidt          245-185  .570     3 NCAA's in 14 seasons
Solomon           24-88    .214     0 NCAA's
Van Breda Kolff  30-27   .526    0 NCAA's
Baron                 132-131 .502   1 NCAA in 9 seasons
Chapman            22-62    .262    0 NCAA's

Mooney is at a program with an overall greater tradition for winning (Bob Lanier notwithstanding) and his career has largely ebbed and flowed.  He has had a nice career but nothing exceptional.  Schmidt has worked miracles at SBU.  He is 121-62 over his last 6 seasons.  None of the school's prior 4 coaches have come close to accomplishing what he has. 

If I had to pick one A10 coach to win a single game, there would not be a close second behind Schmidt.  He has developed lightly regarded recruits like Andrew Nicholson and Jaylen Adams (Brendan's older brother) into stars.  It will be very interesting to see if he moves on once the Lofton/Osunniyi/Welch class departs.    

9/21/2021 1:31 pm  #11

Schmidt was passed over by his own alma mater (BC) this spring so I think the feeling out there is he's pretty lackluster. His success stems largely from the trainwreck wrought by the welding certificate scandal that tanked the program. There was literally no one else who would take that job. Schmidt was conveniently located already on the Bonnies bench, and there would be no itch to oust him whatever the reason as long as the program stayed out of the news (which pretty much describes GW Basketball post-Nero).
In fact, the Bonnies (nee "Brown Indians") have had much more D1 basketball success throughout their history than they have with Schmidt thus far (and much more than GW, it turns out), with an NCAA Final Four (1970) to go along with an NIT championship (1977), as well as deep NIT runs to the semifinals when it was the national championship (1952, 57), compared with Schmidt, who's had 1 NCAA win in 3 tournaments over 14 years.
(One could argue their welding scandal involving Jamil Terrell was MUCH less outrageous than Omar, Carl and Maureece not having high school diplomas, and right around the same time. Yet SBU lost their coach and university president to resignations and a trustee to suicide over it, and the program cratered -- with routine 12th to 14th place finishes in the conference -- for the better part of a decade.)
I think Schmidt is a decent coach who has prospered because of great tradition, perseverance, and few other options. Where most new coaches have a 3-year window, his was more like 10, and he needed all of them to get 1 NCAA win.
Where he gets the most credit is for having to "do things the right way." Most of us (including me) erroneously believe GW -- with its high self-perceived academnc standards and lack of donors, student or administrative support, or high local profile -- doesn't have the luxury of that. Although SBU learned its recruiting scandal lesson the hard way, they at least have a blueprint for sustained success moving forward. Whereas GW is now in the equivalent of Schmidt Year 3.
One thing is for sure: Looking up in the A-10 at St. Bonaventure is a hard damn pill to swallow.

Last edited by Mentzinger (9/21/2021 1:37 pm)

9/21/2021 1:59 pm  #12

The only team I'd have a hard time looking up at is Fordham and even then that would be my stupid fan ego. Kudos for pointing out GW's inflated sense of self. You said it. 1) Bonaventure has a lot more support and, 2) They learned from their scandal. Maybe you have higher standards than me, but I think Schmidt is a heck of a coach.

9/21/2021 2:10 pm  #13

Here's every parent and prospective college students dilemma - 

Do I choose University of Maryland, ranked #59 by USNWR, with a tuition of $11,000 per year, with everything else to offer, including big time college athletics,
or
GWU, ranked #63 (tied with stellar academic institutions like Penn State, Rutgers and UCONN), with a tuition of $60,000 and sub-par sports?

What a tough decision.

9/21/2021 2:10 pm  #14

We'd be blessed, as would any program to have Mooney or Schmidt.  It was the yahoo fans crying to have them fired, the schools knew better

When Mooney took Richmond to the Sweet 16 at age 38, he was one of the hottest, if not THE hottest coach in the country but opted to stay put.  When things went down inevitably, they opted to keep him there. 

Both sides rewarded for staying the course.  Mooney's seat was red hot, at least twice, and yet here he is with a program atop the A10 again.  

9/21/2021 2:28 pm  #15

Mentzinger, a few points about Schmidt.  Am not sure what you mean by he was already on the SBU bench.  He arrived after a successful stint as the head coach at Robert Morris.  I don't believe he was ever an assistant for SBU.  Also, it was Anthony Solomon who really bore the brunt of the scandal as it was his teams that received NCAA sanctions.  Am pretty sure the sanctions were gone by the time Schmidt started even though there was some major rebuilding to do.

As for BC passing him over, I mean, come on.  They hired Earl Grant who had less success at a less regarded program (College of Charlston) in a lower conference (CAA).  They also did not want to wait very long to interview Schmidt, whose team was winning the A10 and subsequently playing in the NCAA Tournament.  Other factors...they just fired Jim Christian who came to BC as an accomplished coach (like Schmidt is) and was more interested in a younger guy who can breathe energy into the program.  Some reports indicated that they were also interested in hiring a minority candidate.  Add all of this up and it certainly sounds like BC was looking to save some money on this hire, fair or unfair.

I will amend an earlier statement.  When I mentioned that Richmond has had a more consistently successful program than SBU, I was not referring to overall but rather over the span of each school's four preceding coaches prior to their current ones.  In other words, it should have been much easier for Mooney to maintain success at Richmond than it was for Schmidt to build success in Olean.  

9/21/2021 2:38 pm  #16

Mooney has more NCAA tourney wins in a single year, 2, than GW has in a quarter century, 1.

Mooney age 38:  2

Penders at GW: 0
Hobbs :  1
Lonergan 0
Mojo 0

9/21/2021 8:03 pm  #17

I heard Schmidt made clear to BC he wasn’t interested.   That place is even tougher to win right now than Bona.

9/21/2021 11:07 pm  #18

Wise choice.  There's a lot to be said for leading a successful A10 program.  Schmidt and Mooney are following in the path of a guy like Martelli, who stayed a long time and was allowed to ups and downs, mostly ups but also some big downs.

Martelli had a terrible 3rd 4th and 5th year.... then stayed a quarter of a century.  Won 7 NCAA tourney games.  

Mark Schmidt, had 1 winning A10 season, in his first 7 seasons. 1.  
In the next 7 he's done nothing but win.

Mike Jarvis built up so much good will, he too could have stayed a Quarter of a century.
Think about the offers that surely came at Martelli, as he took St Joes to the Sweet 16 at 41, and then the Elite 8, still in his 40s. 

Speaking of McKillop: He began his Davidson career with 3 awful seasons, lost 60 out of 85 games. 3 decades later he's at 600+ wins and counting.  

Last edited by The Dude (9/21/2021 11:26 pm)

9/28/2021 8:42 am  #19

Blue Ribbon and betting line.

Bet The Hoops@betthehoops 
A-10 Winner Odds:
-St. Bonnies (-134)
-Richmond (+300)
-VCU
(+600)
-Saint Louis (+1600)
-Dayton (+2000)
-Rhode Island (+2000)
-Davidson (+3300)
-UMass (+3300)
-Duquesne (+10000)
-George Mason (+10000)
-Fordham (+15000)
-GW (+15000)
-La Salle (+15000)
-St. Joes (+15000)
twitter.com/stoolbenchmob/…

1:49pm · 27 Sep 2021 · Twitter for iPhone

Last edited by BM (9/28/2021 8:44 am)

9/28/2021 9:29 am  #20

Tsohonis is a good shooter and a decent player but no way do I see him as newcomer of the year.  He rarely even started for a bad Washington team that went 4-16 in the PAC12.

I’m probably forgetting some transfers, but Toumani Camara popped every time I saw him at Georgia. He’s going to be a force at Dayton, and I suspect he’ll be newcomer of the year.

Also, give me Ossunyi first team over Golden easy.

Last edited by Free Quebec (9/28/2021 9:30 am)

Board footera