GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2021 6:39 pm  #1

Best Athletes in GW history

Jonquel's MVP candidacy season cements her status as one of the best athletes in GW history, got me thinking who are the top 5?  Any sport/Gender

Red I think takes a spot, as a GW athlete who went on to be the GOAT of hoops Coaching. 

Who would be your top 3/top 5??

9/21/2021 7:09 pm  #2

Re: Best Athletes in GW history

Beyond Jonquel here are some other names (no particular order). I apologize for the many I'll overlook.
Mike Brown
Elana Myers
Pops
John Flaherty

Agree with Red. He might have his own catergory for overall sports contribution.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (9/21/2021 7:11 pm)

9/22/2021 8:45 am  #3

Megan Hogan (WXC)
Svetlana Vtyurina (VB)

9/22/2021 9:16 am  #4

I'd have to say there were some pretty good gymnasts over the years, but I didn't really follow them.  Doing a flip over a 4 inch(?) bar takes more guts and skill than any other sport I can think of.   But I've always loved JJ.

Last edited by BC (9/22/2021 9:19 am)

9/22/2021 9:22 am  #5

Good call - great run of recent gymnasts that historically measure up as most decorated athletes of all time

9/22/2021 9:45 am  #6

We’re all going to be affected by a certain recency and own eyeballs on the athlete bias but future GW Hall of Famers Francisco Dias (tennis) and Jenna Cone (softball) have got to be in the conversation. What always complicates these kind of discussions is the consideration to be given to greatest athletes for their post-collegiate accomplishments.

9/22/2021 9:57 am  #7

Can't argue with any of the names brought up after my list.. Top 5 is impossible. I have to admit I did look at post graduation accomplishments which isn't fair to some of the athletes (softball, XC etc)

9/22/2021 1:44 pm  #8

Svetlana Viturina was a great call.   I don’t know anything about volleyball but I certainly remember the hype and attention she brought to the program.   Perhaps the best season ever for any gw athlete?   

JJ is a given, though you could fill this with just women’s basketball players like Anna Montanana, Ugo Oha, TJ Abraham Ngonbga, Debbie Hemery, and Lisa Cermignano.

I would put  Elena Myers in if this is just best athlete because she won an Olympic medal (albeit not in a sport she played for GW). 

Shawnta gets the men’s basketball nod for me.

Couldn’t name a single squash player, but I do recall that for a few years gw has one of the too squash teams so there must have been a dominant athlete.

And tuffy Leeman as the one football player I could name. 

Also, there was a soccer player when I was in school named Mario something or other who set all kinds of records.

9/22/2021 2:45 pm  #9

Free Quebec wrote:

Svetlana Viturina was a great call.   I don’t know anything about volleyball but I certainly remember the hype and attention she brought to the program.   Perhaps the best season ever for any gw athlete?   

JJ is a given, though you could fill this with just women’s basketball players like Anna Montanana, Ugo Oha, TJ Abraham Ngonbga, Debbie Hemery, and Lisa Cermignano.

I would put  Elena Myers in if this is just best athlete because she won an Olympic medal (albeit not in a sport she played for GW). 

Shawnta gets the men’s basketball nod for me.

Couldn’t name a single squash player, but I do recall that for a few years gw has one of the too squash teams so there must have been a dominant athlete.

And tuffy Leeman as the one football player I could name. 

Also, there was a soccer player when I was in school named Mario something or other who set all kinds of records.

Mario Lone, enshrined in GW HOF

9/22/2021 2:58 pm  #10

Some good candidates for sure.

JJ was named Player of the Year today, also led the league in Win Shares.  Making the case for best ever?

9/22/2021 4:00 pm  #11

Too many youngsters post without knowledge of the past. Great athletes at GW must include Garry Lyle. Played football between 1964-1966. Started as a tailback ,switched to quarterback. Drafted by the Bears in 1967 at the 3rd round. Played cornerback in the NFL from 1967-1974 with 12 career interceptions. Had speed , size and great athleticism. Lived in Vienna Va., a son played football in college and the NFL.

9/22/2021 6:44 pm  #12

Great call Cutis!! Lyle was a terrific athlete.Best pure athlete I’ve seen at GW hands down.Having said that 
I have never seen Volleyball and Gymnastics so what do I know.Don’t have all the information I need to make 
an informed decision.

9/22/2021 9:58 pm  #13

Do people outside of the athletes' immediate family, friends, and Poog, really follow sports such as GW Volleyball and Gymnastics?

9/22/2021 10:15 pm  #14

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Do people outside of the athletes' immediate family, friends, and Poog, really follow sports such as GW Volleyball and Gymnastics?

They should. Crowds at gymnastics meets rival anything at basketball with competing fans and high decibel little gymnasts in training. Fellow athlete and other support at volleyball, swimming, water polo and soccer provides a much different outlook on what athletics is all about at GW.   Besides, nobody complains about bullpens at those events.

9/22/2021 10:46 pm  #15

Callie Flipse has to be up there.  She was elite as a woman in a men’s sport. 

Bambi Bowman, incredible long distance swimmer

She was after my time at GW, but Elena Meyers Taylor is perhaps one of or the the most accomplished athletes post Gradation, and had amazing college career in softball.

9/22/2021 10:48 pm  #16

Would anyone put Yinka in your top 5?

Last edited by The Dude (9/22/2021 10:53 pm)

9/23/2021 9:55 am  #17

Is it even possible to compare athletes between sports and genders?   At least the question has not engendered a knockdown drag-out fight.  

9/23/2021 1:16 pm  #18

There was a GW wrestler, Wade something, in the late 1980s, who held the NCAA record for most victories in a season. Evidently he would wrestle up in weight. As a thank you, GW then dropped the wrestling program a year later.

9/23/2021 3:09 pm  #19

Did not realize we had a high NFL draft pick, no less that recently.

Any other players drafted? 

How about Taj Abraham for consideration?

9/23/2021 4:56 pm  #20

Poog wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Besides, nobody complains about bullpens at those events.

You should have been a defense attorney, Poog, as nobody I know does a better job of defending the indefensible and making it sound logical than you do.   (I am referring to the National's bullpen here).   I know, Barry.  Off topic.   I'll stop.

Board footera