GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2021 5:55 pm  #21

Re: Best Athletes in GW history

Before we move on I need to mention that Lyle was also a Kick returner-and a Place kicker.
Add Tailback and Quarterback gives you a sense of his capabilities.I think he was the first Black All 
Southern Conference selection. His son is Keith Lyle who played at Virginia and was also a third round
pick of the Los Angeles Rams in 1994.He had a very good career-led the league in interceptions from 
95 to 98.

9/23/2021 9:29 pm  #22

I got a wildcard for you.  Sarah Hokom.  In the GW Hall of Fame for volleyball.  However, is also a former world champion and two time US Champion at Disc Golf.  When have we ever had a world champion at something?

9/23/2021 10:45 pm  #23

Does anyone beat out Jonquel Jones for the top spot?

She's about to be the MVP of a major american sports league, have we ever had an alum quite like that?

9/28/2021 12:49 am  #24

Above the Dude said: "Did not realize we had a high NFL draft pick, no less that recently.
Any other players drafted?"

From that same class with Gary Lyle, the last years of GW football, Norm Neverson, a defensive end, was drafted by the Washington Redskins. There may have been others but my memory is fading. 

I take it that the question about Yinka "the Stinka" Dare being considered among the top 5 was intended to be purely facetious.

Last edited by RobSmithoasas (9/28/2021 12:53 am)

9/28/2021 10:54 am  #25

Led team to Sweet 16. A Highwater mark for GW team sports on national level

And NBA lottery pick, wasn't being facetious

Jonquel named WNBA MVP

Last edited by The Dude (9/28/2021 12:08 pm)

9/28/2021 10:57 am  #26

Know the second to above post was by a GW fan sincerely making a point and the light vein in which it was written.
       But we shouldn't give short shrift to Yinka's college career.
Don't think he was Top 5 of all GW athletes certainly, but wouldn't short Yinka as a force in college basketball. especially at our level. He might not have had a similar pro career to say the least (and turned pro too early), but in college he caused a lot of teams a lot of problems. And as John Feinstein once noted, just his physique initially drove fear into the likes of UConn.
       YInka had real impact during his too short time at GW and that should be noted when looking at his all too short life.

Last edited by jf (9/28/2021 11:00 am)

9/29/2021 11:11 am  #27

How many NBA lottery picks have we produced?

How many players put a GW in the national spotlight?

He's in my top 5, with Red, Jonquel, and 2 spots for non hoopsters.

9/29/2021 2:02 pm  #28

as is true with any ranking, you have to define your criteria. if we’re talking about athletes who achieved most in their field, then red, yinka and jj certainly belong.

on the other hand — if we are trying to identify best athletes — we would probably come up with a few others.

two names that haven’t been mentioned, even though they were two sport participants, are pat tallent and dirkk surles. both great athletes.

if we are looking for athletes who achieved some fame at the pro level, can we include chuck stobbs?  he never played at gw but he coached the baseball team for several years.

9/29/2021 2:13 pm  #29

i personally think that based on the subject title "Best Athletes in GW History" the criteria seems pretty defined as to their time at GW

Either way - JJ is in the Top 5, without a doubt

9/29/2021 2:29 pm  #30

Open ended, but would include GW days and post as well.

A few years back I posted a thread positing Jonquel as perhaps the most talented woman player in history, a shot blocking Kevin Durant. 

A few years later, she looks very much on path to be just that

10/11/2021 10:57 pm  #31

Best GW MB player was probably Joe Holup, drafted fifth overall in the 1956 NBA draft. The 1954 team he led was ranked #5 in the nation. They lost in the first round of the NCAA tourney, but there were only 16 teams back then.

10/11/2021 11:55 pm  #32

That's a good call, probably is Joe Holup.

2nd most rebounds in NCAA history??

Board footera