GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2021 1:47 pm  #21

Re: Consensus about GW

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWrising, why don't we just spell this out.  The Dude has an agenda.

He wants to be GW's greatest fan.  He already is in his mind but he wants the board to acknowledge this as well.  

The Dude feels that some of us have it out for JC.  He believes people like me (and others) want him to fail.  He believes we wanted MoJo to fail.  All because we are disgusted over how things turned out in the ML/PN saga.  He believes that in our minds, it would be better to never have a winning program again.  Unless of course ML were to be rehired which everyone knows will not happen.

In an effort to counteract all of this vitriol that we presumably have for JC, The Dude, acting as GW's greatest fan, will fall over backwards to protect JC's job performance at all costs.  And, this is what's happening here.  The Dude is attempting to create the most modest of expectations for this year's team so that under almost any conceivable realistic scenario, he will be able to proudly report on how JC exceeded expectations, even with a 12th place finish.

He makes up complete bullshit about how this consensus exists that's calling for GW to finish near the bottom of the conference and when he's asked to cite sources who have predicted this, he of course is unable to.

Ironically, what The Dude fails to realize is that there is nobody here, myself included, who is rooting for JC to stumble.  I have said repeatedly that any coach's success means success for this program.  I'd like to get back to watching this team play in the NCAA or NIT tournaments.  There is literally nobody who visits this site that does not want this.  Nevertheless, what we have here is someone with way too much free time on his hands who enjoys inventing a false narrative for shits and giggles.  

Of course, this is downright laughable because anyone who has been reading my posts over the past few years would know that I am perhaps JC's biggest defender on this board. The Dude is desperate to have an argument about his dislike for ML. The thing he can't understand is that ML's tenure and JC's tenure are mutually exclusive events. In other words, JC winning does not in any way diminish what ML accomplished here. JC did not immediately follow ML and not a single JC player played for ML. 

Simply put, JC should be judged on his own merits and ML on his. ML demonstrated that he was able to win here. Hopefully, JC will soon demonstrate the same. We don't need to be in the Dude's business of building up JC to tear down ML as well as anyone who wants to engage in the opposite. Two things can be true at once - you can think ML was a good coach, ran a strong program, and was unfairly dismissed, while at the same time, rooting hard for JC to get this headed in the right direction and achieve every success that ML achieved and then some. Only the Dude is apparently unable to process this notion.

9/30/2021 2:12 pm  #22

So the consensus pick is about 12th.  Good to have some facts established.

9/30/2021 3:18 pm  #23

All good points Rising.
Years ago I recall seeing some things on social media between ML and JC that showed how much respect they have for each other. I don't think anything has changed in the last 5 years (other than ML telling JC what a dumpster fire GW was before taking the job).

Dude, does Kinko's offer a military discount?

9/30/2021 4:07 pm  #24

Joel, you may or may not know this but JC had Mike's son Jack as a manager at the Mount and now Jack is a Graduate Assistant for Dan Engelstad. Also, after taking the GW job, JC met with ML. I think you are correct that there is mutual respect.

9/30/2021 8:44 pm  #25

Yes, unless there was another meeting, seeing ML and that picture posted together at some restaurant/watering hole spoke volumes. 
     Personally, see that as a real plus for JC,  not erasing history with fiction as the university has sought to do and seems to continue to do so.
   No matter what you think on the issue, GW hasn't handled it well, nor been forthcoming or even honest, to say the least, though the university has done a bit better in the past few years after Mojo has left.
    We need to acknowledge reality, not minimize it in videos and pictures.

9/30/2021 11:00 pm  #26

Well, at least it will be noted, if the team finishes 8th, that was 4 spots or so ahead of the consensus prediction.

10/01/2021 5:53 am  #27

Glad this thread didn't revisit familiar ground :-)

10/12/2021 11:55 am  #28

Some site I am unfamiliar with, basketballarticles.com, has picked GW for a 9th place finish (albeit before the Ira Lee injury).  So much for the alleged "consensus."

10/12/2021 12:22 pm  #29

So an out date site you've never heard of.

Well Joel, Bart Torvik has us 273rd and 14th in the A10, a widely respected data site.

My Nephew has us 1st he loves GW and he's 7. So much for the consensus I guess JJ.

10/12/2021 2:42 pm  #30

The site is basketballarticles.com.  I'd venture to say that they know a bit more about this than your 7 year old nephew.  I'd also venture to say that your 7 year old nephew knows quite a bit more about this than you.

10/12/2021 3:01 pm  #31

3 Man Weave has a very good site. 

They had us 11th but after the Lee injury, more like 13th:Tier 4 

11. George WashingtonKey Returners: James Bishop, Ricky Lindo, Amir Harris (DNP in 20-21)

Key Losses: Matthew Moyer, Jamison Battle (transfer), Chase Paar (transfer), Jameer Nelson (transfer)

Key Newcomers: Brendan Adams (UConn), Joe Bamisile (Virginia Tech), Brayon Freeman, Daniel Nixon, Qwanzi Samuels (FGCU), Ira Lee (Arizona)****** - Thanks to Kevin Sweeney, who pointed out that Ira Lee suffered a ruptured patella tendon and will amost certainly miss the entire season. That could be enough to knock GW down to 13th.

Last edited by The Dude (10/12/2021 3:08 pm)

10/12/2021 10:13 pm  #32

I would bet all my Colonials gear and wear GW will finish in the top 8. By the way Steve Lavin watched two of our practices and he says we will be in the top half of the A-10.

10/13/2021 8:25 am  #33

Tied for 13th with Fordham.

https://www.a10talk.com/the-2021-22-a10-talk-season-preview/

And this preview has Ire (sic) Lee as playing this season.

10/13/2021 11:52 am  #34

Somewhat related, can anyone explain the consensus about George Mason? It seems like everyone just assumes Kim English will hit the ground running even though he’s never been a HC before and that all their transfers will play at an all-conference level even though they have the same question marks as our transfers.

I truly don’t get it.

Last edited by GW0509 (10/13/2021 11:52 am)

10/13/2021 1:56 pm  #35

Main difference: George Mason was 13-9 last year and about 100 spots ahead of us in the KenPom

Which is the same margin Bart Torvik has 

Mason 170
GW 273  

https://barttorvik.com/?conlimit=A10&state=All&year=2022&sort=

And yes, GW is 273.     

Obviously, GW is being picked near the bottom of the A10, I get that there's someone here who likes to turn facts upside down, but facts are facts. 

Last edited by The Dude (10/13/2021 2:03 pm)

10/13/2021 1:57 pm  #36

GW73 wrote:

Tied for 13th with Fordham.

https://www.a10talk.com/the-2021-22-a10-talk-season-preview/

And this preview has Ire (sic) Lee as playing this season.

Eight teams with a winning record and three teams with a losing record. I don’t think the math works out on that one, lol.

10/13/2021 2:24 pm  #37

The Dude wrote:

Main difference: George Mason was 13-9 last year and about 100 spots ahead of us in the KenPom

I’m not arguing why they’re ranked higher than us, why is there an assumption they’ll be the same or better than they were last year with an rookie HC and just as many question marks on their roster as Davidson, Duquesne, Rhody, Etc.?

Reading that preview (admittedly written  by a Mason student) it’s making a lot of assumptions about players/staff who have not played at Mason and about Oduro being in contention for POY which I just don’t see happening.

Last edited by GW0509 (10/13/2021 2:29 pm)

10/13/2021 4:40 pm  #38

Oh yeah, gotcha, and I think the GW one was written by GW fan Daniel Frank, A10 talk is pretty dicey.  

IDK, but Bart Torvik's 170 is pretty bearish for a team that as pretty decent last year.  I'd put more stock into Torvik.

10/13/2021 5:10 pm  #39

So here's a10talk with predictions for every conference game. It doesn't get better for our heroes. It says we finish 3-15, tied with Fordham for 12th place. St. Joe's holds down the basement at 1-17.

https://www.a10talk.com/i-picked-the-outcome-of-every-a10-game-so-you-didnt-have-to/

10/13/2021 5:24 pm  #40

#273 is what concerns me. Bart Torvik.  And lets see what our KenPom is.

Maybe 6 7 8 9 predictions are all too bearish, but the data based sites is concerning, and free of human bias.

I think we'll be a little better but basically just pure optimism, no real explanation for that.  I'd put us near the bottom of the league removing my GW bias hat.

Board footera