GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/15/2021 2:21 pm  #61

Re: Consensus about GW

Gonzaga #1.  Bonnies #19. Rutgers #39 (seems too low?) Richmond #41 Maceo's Buffalo #60  SLU #66
GW #245   Duke 13 Kentucky 15.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-no-1-358-rankings-preseason-countdown-concludes-with-top-68-teams-for-2021-22-season/

10/15/2021 2:43 pm  #62

"Maceo's Buffalo" LOL. The Dude must be a parody account run by the Onion or the Babylon Bee.

10/15/2021 2:52 pm  #63

60 puts Buffalo near the bubble Mailvan.  We could use Maceo on this team, and Terry Nolan Jr, and Jamison Battle, losing all 3 is a big part of why we're #273 in Torvik and 245 on this list CBS list.  Not so funny Mailvan.

I didn't see NC A&T on the list. in the 300s I presume with Quinipiac.  

Last edited by The Dude (10/15/2021 2:56 pm)

10/15/2021 3:00 pm  #64

Maceo wouldn't play 5 minutes per game on this team. Remember I told you.

10/15/2021 3:21 pm  #65

Maceo Shot 56.7% from the field last year and 40% from 3, Mailvan.   Didn't miss a FT, and 86% career- 6'5 3 point shooter Buffalo will be better than GW and he will be playing for Buffalo, he certainly would and should minutes as a 5th year senior on this #273 Bart Torvik team. Part of why we're #273. 

Team was worse without him.  Buffalo, a really good program snatched him up for a reason. Battle to Minnesota.  Not exactly NC A&T and Quinnipiac but not too bad.

A big reason we've been bad, and people expect us to be bad again, is constant roster turnover. Is Maceo a great player? no, but he was a solid contributor and continuity and gelling is a big part of successful teams.  At any rate, they are #60, we're 273.

Last edited by The Dude (10/15/2021 3:33 pm)

10/15/2021 3:41 pm  #66

The Dude wrote:

Maceo Shot 56.7% from the field last year and 40% from 3, Mailvan.   Didn't miss a FT, and 86% career- 6'5 3 point shooter Buffalo will be better than GW and he will be playing for Buffalo, he certainly would and should minutes as a 5th year senior on this #273 Bart Torvik team. Part of why we're #273. 

Team was worse without him.  Buffalo, a really good program snatched him up for a reason. Battle to Minnesota.  Not exactly NC A&T and Quinnipiac but not too bad.

Don't forget about guarding Dude. He didn't guard anyone - hence his minutes dropped. How about assists? In averaging 21 minutes per game over 7 games he had a whopping 2 assists and 14 total rebounds. He also shot 6 free throws (big sample size lol) and made 1 three a game basically. Averaged about 7 ppg. Stop. Our record with him was 1-6. You don't think he would be behind Bishop, Adams, Basimile, Freeman and Harris now?. How much PT does the 6th guard get? You really are a basketball illiterate.

Hope he has a great season at Buffalo but he wasn't the answer here and rather was part of the problem.

Finally, Buffalo "snatched him up" because his mother is the women's coach there. Good grief. Basically nobody was beating down the doors for him off the portal.

I like Maceo he's a good kid but never should have been at a school like GW for basketball if you expected GW to win.

Last edited by GWRising (10/15/2021 3:49 pm)

10/15/2021 3:57 pm  #67

The Dude wrote:

60 puts Buffalo near the bubble Mailvan.  We could use Maceo on this team, and Terry Nolan Jr, and Jamison Battle, losing all 3 is a big part of why we're #273 in Torvik and 245 on this list CBS list.  Not so funny Mailvan.

So, TNJ is playing at Towson this year... transferred down twice (first to Bradley). So in classic fashion that actually argues The Dude's point both ways: "We need someone like TNJ," and since TNJ transferred down "that proves he was a terrible recruit."

10/15/2021 4:30 pm  #68

Mentzinger wrote:

The Dude wrote:

So, TNJ is playing at Towson this year... transferred down twice (first to Bradley). So in classic fashion that actually argues The Dude's point both ways: "We need someone like TNJ," and since TNJ transferred down "that proves he was a terrible recruit."

Yes Mentzinger, this is exactly the type of thing that happens when someone talks out of their ass. 

BGF, I can't believe I am alone when I say the following:  I'm begging you to get rid of this guy once and for all.  Not that anyone is amused by him now, but pretty soon, there will be real games to discuss and the vast majority of us would be happy to engage in legitimate discussions about this team rather than put up with his nonsense.  It's all way too predictable.  We'll beat St. Francis and UMass Lowell and The Dude will be crowing about how this team is overachieving.  And if God forbid anyone offers constructive criticism about anything to do with the team, The Dude will remind everyone, over and over, how we're expected to be a terrible team anyway, based on computer rankings whose authors fully acknowledge are unreliable at the start of a season..  It's all insulting to everyone's intelligence.  It's truly gone on long enough.  Please do something about it before the season starts. 

10/16/2021 6:15 am  #69

The Dude wrote:

A big reason we've been bad, and people expect us to be bad again, is constant roster turnover. Is Maceo a great player? no, but he was a solid contributor and continuity and gelling is a big part of successful teams.  At any rate, they are #60, we're 273.

Dude, you make it hard to defend you.  Team was worse without him?   Really?  We lost to Navy, Hampton, UMBC, Delaware, William and Mary, and Charlotte with him.  Two of those were sub-300 ranked teams!   We only beat #291 Coppin St with him.  Without him, we went 4-6 and beat a couple of top 130 teams.

I wish Maceo well, and Buffalo will be a perfect fit for a career 35% three point shooter who has never played a lick of defense, doesn’t handle the ball, and doesn’t rebound or pass.  He probably plays the stand in the corner role, something he could be good at if the rest of the team is quality.

10/16/2021 1:56 pm  #70

Mailvan you are very transparent.  The site has basically no one left, because you chased them off, but, yes cry to the Admin to have the last few people who aren't you, removed. You got Brian I see! way to go.  In case it wasn't clear, that's why 5 fake names exist only to insult the poster/s Mailvan wants removed.

You've spent 10 days arguing the sky isn't blue, GW isn't picked to finish at the bottom of the league, so you can spend the next 5 months crying how the team under-achieved. to an audience of basically zero, since for 15 years you've shut down one site, and chased away most of the posters.  You got Rich Maier, Maine Colonial, Brian Paul.  Chase them off or beg the Admin to do so.  

Now, I suspect rather than deal with the issue, you, this thread will be edited away.  Nevermind the dozen personal attacks you launch that go unchecked every week.   

Mailvan-BlueSeats.  The guy, you, that WAS banned from the site 10 years ago.  
Well, you were warned, you are going to chase away everyone, and you did, Mission Accomplished Mailvan.  

You're right about one thing Mailvan, I will take some positivity from some games this year, and take the losses in some stride. That's what bothers you, and why you do this.   Its why the others were chased off.

That's what Barry will have to consider, if he wants to enable you to do this over and over.  7 names only exist here to insult whomever you are trying to chase away. I know he saw you do it with Brian Paul. Way go to Mailvan, good use of a GW fan site.

Last edited by The Dude (10/16/2021 2:21 pm)

10/17/2021 4:02 am  #71

Dude.  Stop.  Don't presume to tell anybody what I think or what I'll do.  You don't know my motivations and you don't know my decision process.  

You're wrong about the people you think have multiple handles on this site.  Could there be one or two?  Sure, including you I imagine.  Perhaps not, but how would I know?  

You're also wrong to think I care one shit about what happened on the old board.  The past was buried when I started this board.  The good (and there was a lot of good on the old board) and the bad...they're dead to me, and they should be to everyone else.  MOVE ON.

I've asked you repeatedly to stop referring to people by names other than what they have on this site.  I started this board to give a fresh start to our little community.  You're the one perpetuating the past right now with these little digs that are certain to instigate a negative response from other board members.. 

So, let me try this approach.  We're all about moving on from the past difficulties in the GW program, about looking to the future of GW Hoops and not the past scandals.  So why can't you let go of the past on this board and do the same?  Look to the future and stop being confrontational. (And that goes for everyone else as well).

So, Dude, please stop, and if you can't, just leave the board.  I don't like to ban anyone, because it sets a precedent I don't want to set.  You may not like the people on here and they may not like you, but I believe in the right for you to take part in this community.  I also believe that underneath your confrontational tone, you have some very interesting posts and the discussions that result from are often great. 

I could be wrong, but I think that what you mistake for people leaving the board is actually people who have opted to not engage with you.  And I'd be just fine with this board having only 10 people on it if those 10 were committed to the sharing of information and opinions, and the building of a great GW Hoops fan community.

And I'm now guilty of what I hate about this board:  changing the direction of a thread by hijacking it to something unrelated and unwanted.  Ball's in your court, Dude.

Barry

10/17/2021 7:46 am  #72

Thanks  Barry

10/17/2021 1:04 pm  #73

KenPom rankings were released this morning:

https://twitter.com/A10Talk/status/1449739863050305540

GW ranked at 214

10/17/2021 1:50 pm  #74

Yep, picked 13th in the A10 again, sure looks like a consensus

and yea, you're wrong, it was already proven and showed by Herve to be the case. Willfull blindness is what prolongs the issue.  There was a campaign to get rid of Brian Paul, by that guy, by attacking his deceased wife.  It worked. He came back and the attacks came back.
I know you're aware that happened, so please don't pretend it doesn't go on here. The guy doing this doesn't share my view either (basically non whining orientation) so I am subjected to half a dozen attacks as were the people that were chased away, Those are the choices, "go away" or be attacked. You're enabling that. It happens, everyone can see it happening. Is anyone else subject to this? Its obvious, please don't pretend that it isn't.  Most people just dont post what they think or long ago left, because of this.

GW is being picked about 13th over and over, pointing that out, since it gets in the way of 1 person's agenda (to complain all year how much the team is under-achieving) triggers endless personal attacks.  

Rich Maier and Thinker and Maine Colonial (real name known) all were subjected to the same thing and all chose to leave.  All from the same person. Is anyone else EVER subjected to personal attacks? Always coming from the same person for the same reason.  Lets just be real about it Barry.   

Is that the site you want to Admin? Please take a moment to actually think about that. 

Thx

Last edited by The Dude (10/17/2021 2:24 pm)

10/17/2021 6:07 pm  #75

Thanks Barry

10/17/2021 6:33 pm  #76

Thanks Barry

10/17/2021 8:25 pm  #77

The past is relevant if it involves GW basketball not poster personalities.
Barry,even in the early a.m., has shown incredible graciousness,patience and remarkable restraint in trying to deal with a needless problem here.
  So, not only Thanks Barry,but appreciation for what you have had unnecessarily go through.

10/18/2021 10:19 am  #78

Thanks Barry. If only the Dude knew that there are a lot more people here than he thinks, and who think similarly on many issues, and had nothing to do with whatever past issues on previous boards he is referring to, many of the problems here would likely ameliorate. I don't know how we prove this to him.

Last edited by GWRising (10/18/2021 10:20 am)

10/18/2021 10:28 am  #79

I could post my SSN!

10/18/2021 10:45 am  #80

First, thank you Barry.  Of course, since you made your feelings known, The Dude almost immediately came back and violated the very things that you've been nicely asking him not to do.  This is only my opinion but it appears as if he's pushing the envelope as far as he can to see what he can get away with.  I am as guilty as anyone at getting caught up in his muck but to be honest, I feel that this has been in part due to my feeling that I was the only person here willing to stand up to him and call out either his lies or to be more generous, his misinformation.  We are not talking about opinions which he is of course entitled to.  We are talking about taking facts and either distorting, manipulating or ignoring them.  What's been gratifying of late is to read more and more posters expressing their own dissatisfaction with him.  Barry, I can only hope that if the Dude continues to troll, or shall we say, purposefully antagonize myself or others, and if enough people continue to express how tired they are of his deliberately annoying tactics, that you will take the appropriate action.  I realize you don't want to and it truthfully sucks that this has to fall in your lap.  But when you have one person attempting to make the experience of visiting this site miserable for others, then it's more than feasible to have to take a difficult action, for the sake of the board as a whole.

Since I've last logged on, we've had a weekend's worth of misinformation.  Thought I would take a moment to summarize:

On October 13, The Dude wrote that CBS Sports had us at 245, at least 45 spots below the #12 A10 team.  In reality, the #12 team is La Salle at #229, just 16 spots ahead of GW,

On October 17, The Dude wrote that Bart Torvik, very similar to these KenPom rankings.  KenPom has GW at 214, Torvik at 273.  Do these appear to be very similar to you?  I'd venture to say that you could compare every school's ranking on both sites and not find a variance of greater than 59 spots.  Therefore, the Torvik and KenPom's rankings are about as dissimilar as it gets.

As has been pointed out, these rankings exist largely to slot teams at the start of a season.  KenPom fully acknowledges that it takes about a month of play before the rankings crystallize into meaningful form.  They are determined largely in part by how a team performed last season.  I'd also add, definitely in the case of KenPom,  that by no means are these rankings intended to PREDICT how teams will finish at the end of a season, in October.

On September 28, The Dude wrote, "the predictions have been pouring in and have us around 12th-13th in the A10.  A finish better than 11th would exceed expectations."

On October 17th, The Dude wrote, "what's the argument on paper for GW being much better than 11th-13th?"  Also, "haven't read a good case for GW being picked any higher than 11-13."

This might appear to be a nitpick to some, but in the span of a few weeks, The Dude would now like to say "I told you so"  (because this is always what this is about when he is concerned) to an 11th place finish, as opposed to his original "12th-13th" prediction.  No, this isn't the end of the world; it's just another example of the disingenuous way he attempts to manipulate this site. I had said that 10th place ought to be a modest goal for the team with a spot in the 8-9 game being a more lofty yet attainable goal.  That would hopefully imply that 11th place is about the normal, reasonable prediction for this team.  So, his changing 12th-13th" to "11th-13th" does make a difference.

Finally, despite what I can only describe as blatant lies, Brian Paul has not been attacked by me on this site.  You'd have to ask him why he hasn't posted lately.  I have mostly avoided engaging with him and when I have engaged, it's almost exclusively due to my dealings with The Dude.  The notion that I have run him off this site is beyond ridiculous.  

Board footera