GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2021 11:44 am  #81

Re: Consensus about GW

Like a lot of arguments on this board, this is pretty pointless. To say a team underachieved or overachieved is based on an expectation, and expectations change through time. So if GW finished #13 this year, it would be perfectly reasonable for a person to say that the team met expectations if those expectations were from October 2021. At the same time, it would be perfectly reasonable for a person to say the team underachieved based on expectations from when Jamion Christian was hired in March 2019, as I think we all expected at that time for GW to finish better than #13 in his third year as head coach. If that was the expectation, we could have stuck with MoJo. So it's all just another pointless argument. We should all be able to predict how we think the team will and should finish this year without people questioning each other's motives. As for me, I have no idea what they will finish this year, but I am hoping they finish better than #13 and am looking forward to finding out!

10/18/2021 2:34 pm  #82

Well it is Oct 2021 and the season is about to begin, so those are the relevant expectations at the moment.  

Last edited by The Dude (10/18/2021 2:54 pm)

10/18/2021 2:36 pm  #83

Thanks Barry. Nobody can say you didn't try. Within 10 hours of your post, the dude was back at it. 
Rich Maier and Thinker were 2 of the many names dude posted under before Barry designed this board to prevent that sort of thing. Maine Colonial (our former illustrious National Alumni leader and Nero buddy) left us when Nero was canned.
Things are slowly getting back to normal with only 1 problem child. Barry, it's just a matter of time before you need to exile him to the Mens Squash site.

10/18/2021 11:08 pm  #84

So, thanks for the comments.  I think many of you know I produce festivals for my job in real life (you know, the things one does when not on this board).  Right now I'm in the midst of 3 major events in four weeks and my post was made at the end of a long day, not the beginning of the next.  I tell you this simply so you understand that I cannot and will not actively monitor discussions on a regular basis.  I try to catch up, but it doesn't always happen.  

Second, I have made it known that I don't believe in anonymity on this board, not because I don't think that's a right on a board like this, but rather because I do feel a kindred spirit with others on this board and I want to know who else shares my bewildering passion for a GW basketball program that seemingly disappoints just when I get excited about our potential future success.  My wife makes fun of me for always saying GW is rebuilding, but I still believe. Pathetic, right?

Anyway, my hope is that others on this board will join me in person for a pre-game in-person happy hour sometime, relinquishing their anonymity for those present.  If you're interested in such a get-together, please privately message me.  

Last thing...while I don't usually reveal the contents of private messages to me, I would like to say something publicly that Dude wrote to me.  In a recent message, he indicated that I "chose to revive the board." 

The truth is that I didn't.  I actually chose to create a new board for people who wanted something different.  I was foolish to not realize that the other board would die as a result, and the end result was that I basically replaced the old board with this one.  But that was absolutely not my intent.  The reason I want everybody to be nice to each other is because that is who I am and it's what I want the people on here to be.  I am the eternal optimist and therefore am often disappointed.  I just want to urge everyone to be civil, if not kind.  

Thanks.

Barry

P.S.:  I have found that the concensus about GW in a year like this, with so many new players, is irrelevant.  I believe we're going to be better than most people think, but not as good as we on this board would like us to be!

Last edited by BGF (10/19/2021 12:24 am)

10/19/2021 6:45 am  #85

Barry, 

My grandmother taught me that niceness is it's own reward.  I'm glad you're nice, and I will be mailing you a memorialization of niceness. Maybe two, if there is a Mrs. Barry.

Rich Maier is nice, btw, with a nice wife.  Thinker tries to be nice. I understand he is a real friend when a guy needs a real friend. He'll give you the shirt off his back, if he's wearing a T-shirt.  Or, change your tire, or jump start your battery.  I trust they both read this site, and might join you for a drink.  Dude can be nice, but he may be a smoker, rather than a drinker. 

Anonymity is no way to go through life.  It too often is used for scurrilous purposes. 

Have a nice day, Barry.   Same to all. 

10/19/2021 12:02 pm  #86

Those were good posters. Shouldn't have been allowed to be run off.

Depends on the occasion Colonel

Colonel wrote:

Barry, 

My grandmother taught me that niceness is it's own reward.  I'm glad you're nice, and I will be mailing you a memorialization of niceness. Maybe two, if there is a Mrs. Barry.

Rich Maier is nice, btw, with a nice wife.  Thinker tries to be nice. I understand he is a real friend when a guy needs a real friend. He'll give you the shirt off his back, if he's wearing a T-shirt.  Or, change your tire, or jump start your battery.  I trust they both read this site, and might join you for a drink.  Dude can be nice, but he may be a smoker, rather than a drinker. 

Anonymity is no way to go through life.  It too often is used for scurrilous purposes. 

10/19/2021 2:02 pm  #87

The Dude wrote:

Those were good posters. Shouldn't have been allowed to be run off.

Depends on the occasion Colonel

Colonel wrote:

Barry, 

Nobody gets run off.  People leave on their own.  Maybe they are tired of the nonsense posts.  Maybe they are tired of the same points being repetitively made.  Maybe they have had it with all of the bickering.  Or the instigating.  Or the trolling.  Nobody forces anyone to leave.  They leave on their own volition.

Rich Maier?  Thinker?  For all we know, the person or people who once used these names may very well still be on this site.  This is what happens when you go from "post under as many names as you'd like" to "one poster name per person".  The universe of poster names shrinks even if the number of unique individuals stays the same.

10/19/2021 2:58 pm  #88

Rich Maier, Thinker and several other "names" don't post because they were from the same poster using numerous names which has been eliminated by Barry on this site. Now Dude is limited to 1 or 2 names, depending on his access to different servers. 

This site has become tolerable now that a few have left. If we can only get 1 more to find a new hobby, job or other interests, life will get back to normal!

10/19/2021 3:19 pm  #89

Hilarious that people posting anonymously were "run off a site". How would you identify who to "run off"? of course, the allegations are being made by another anonymous poster. 

Much more likely, the explanations can be found in Gwmayhem and Joel Joseph's posts above. 

But Dude why would someone go to such great lengths to register with Barry using a valid email and converse with Barry but then use other names here? Barry probably knows who most of the posters are here. I promise when I tell you I don't have time for that shit. Maybe others do I don't know but I tend to doubt it. Time to end to end the wild conspiracy theories and just realize that more than one person may not agree with you. Barry has been trying to tell you this politely and with the patience of job for months now. God gave you two ears and one keyboard for a reason lol.

10/19/2021 4:05 pm  #90

This is about attempts to currently drive people off the board, something that's gone on too long.  There's a rule here, about no personal attacks, that's violated almost daily.  

Rich Maier posted for many years as Newtman.  When he expressed some views about ML that Mailvan didn't like, Mailvan began to attack him daily, as he has done, (as well as me and Brian Paul, and Thinker)

Both Rich Maier and Brian Paul began to use their actual names, (Mailvan claimed they were hiding anonymously)  the attacks then  spread to even both men's wives.
So that was the end of Rich Maier, on the site, a real guy named Rich Maier who  had posted for many, many years. Thinker is long gone too. Driven away. So was Maine Colonial, also an occassional mild ML critic, same reason for all. His real name was posted by Mailvan and he too was driven away.  Maine Colonial was a guy active in alumni affairs, a strong supporter of GW.  His real name was hunted down, attacked off the board.  

Should not have happened, should not be happening, but it did and still does.  Absolutely ridiculous and should be stopped.  

Last edited by The Dude (10/19/2021 4:21 pm)

10/19/2021 4:25 pm  #91

Ok I'll play Dude but just so there is no confusion I'm not Mailvan.. You know Rich Maier personally? Thinker? Maine Colonial? Real friends of yours or guys you took whatever they said here at face value? Could you pick any of them out of a lineup? If the answer is no, then how do you know what happened? If the answer is yes how do you know for a fact they are still not posting here?

Second, you claim "it still does." Got any evidence of that? Barry, care to chime in here and set the record straight?

Dude basketball fantasies are one thing but this paranoia is not at all healthy. Ask GW69 for a referral. You will feel better. I promise.

Oh and one other thing, please stop direct messaging me. I don't know you and I am not interested in engaging in the paranoia.

10/19/2021 5:03 pm  #92

"The Dude" Seems to have been quoting me.  I have no idea what his point was. But, he quoted me accurately. 

Nice going, Dude.

10/19/2021 6:43 pm  #93

Too bad I am no longer in school. Or a psychology major. I'm sure they could do a hell of a case study on a couple people here.

10/19/2021 8:28 pm  #94

I’m retired.Thank God!!

10/20/2021 12:48 am  #95

Poke around the board, GW, Skittles has a sick interest in the sex lives of other men's wives. He's accused one poster of engaging in adultery with a coach's wife. 

I concurred with Barry about the importance of being nice. I noted that Rich, Thinker, and Dude are three distinct men.  I have spoken with each over the years.  You know: like real GWU alums who attend real GWU games as real GWU ticket holders do. 

I have phone numbers for each of these men. 

Skittles is a bit of a scam.  No matter, except for his comments about other men's wives. His comments are libels.   

Last edited by Colonel (10/20/2021 1:05 am)

10/20/2021 8:14 am  #96

Maybe it is multiple years of mediocrity rather than this board that has driven away so many of the posters.  Who remains are the long time fans for life who will continue to support the team under any circumstances and some lonely and bitter people who have very few other outlets.

10/20/2021 10:39 am  #97

It's a shame, LSF.  But, you can always reach out.  Chat with Joel, Skittles, BC, Rich, Dick, Thinker, Dude.  If you need a number or an email, let me know. Maybe invite them all to a game. 

10/20/2021 11:49 am  #98

This thread. Because being a GW Basketball fan isn't painful enough.
I know! Make it about basketball and not each other!

10/20/2021 12:43 pm  #99

Colonel wrote:

Poke around the board, GW, Skittles has a sick interest in the sex lives of other men's wives. He's accused one poster of engaging in adultery with a coach's wife. 

I concurred with Barry about the importance of being nice. I noted that Rich, Thinker, and Dude are three distinct men.  I have spoken with each over the years.  You know: like real GWU alums who attend real GWU games as real GWU ticket holders do. 

I have phone numbers for each of these men. 

Skittles is a bit of a scam.  No matter, except for his comments about other men's wives. His comments are libels.   

Alright. So 1. I didn't accuse I called him out on his bull because he claimed he had and he obviously has not.
2. How more obvious could you be Brian. Come on now buddy.
3. I used to be in the know. It's a couple years old obviously but I've never lied. Sorry you liked Pat so much BP. Guy was always creepy to me.

10/20/2021 8:03 pm  #100

Well, picked between 11th-13th. 

Hopefully we'll be better than that

Board footera