GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2021 4:28 pm  #1

Five Burning Questions

With so many newcomers and no opportunity to see anyone play at Kenner (it bears repeating that while Kenner performance may not be at all indicative of what to expect in games that count, there are things to be learned inside McDonough), I have lots of questions.  Here are the five most burning ones:

1) Will James Bishop's decision-making continue to improve?   It certainly did as the season progressed last year.  And by decision-making, I am referring to shot selection, setting up teammates, taking better shots early in the shot clock rather than desperation ones late in the shot clock, knowing when to drive and shoot and when to drive and dish, etc.   

2) Will this team "share the ball"?  Sure, this applies to James but it also applies to everyone.   Remember the days when we could put any five of Pops, Mike, Carl, JR, Omar and Maureece on the floor at any one time (and yes, KH did try to put all 6 on the floor together at times) and think about how hard it was to defend a team with five scoring options.  This year's team looks like it will be difficult to defend but only if it plays like an unselfish team.

3) Will the team get its share of easy points?  So far, mayhem has not truly presented itself for JC at GW.  The ability to force turnovers should result in more fast break opportunities which leads to easy points.  Offensive putbacks are often easy points as well but it's hard to see this team be proficient at this.  Therefore, the need to get easy points in transition becomes even more critical.

4) How deep will this team be?  A better question is how deep does it want to be?  JC has been content playing his starters huge minutes but has this been out of choice or necessity?  I'm willing to bet on the latter, believing that even without Ira Lee, JC will have more players who he can rely upon at GW than ever before.  Will the two freshmen earn meaningful minutes?  With Brown and Dean most likely in the rotation, how often will this team play with both on the bench?  Which Mitola brother will Bryan Knapp more closely resemble?  Is Qwanzi Samuels a real piece to the puzzle or a player here to help the team practice (at least for this season)?  As a reminder, more players likely means more pressing and more turnovers created, which helps produce more easy points.

5) How bad will our low post interior defense be?  I say how bad because unfortunately, it's practically a certainty that it will be bad.  This is of course where Lee will be missed. Has Noel's footwork and defensive instincts improved to the point where he can be a legitimate shot alterer?  Is Hunter going to be able to square up on defense and stop guys, or will he continue to get some blocks while trailing the play but offer not much more on defense?  The fact is that this area, in my mind, is a glaring deficiency which could lead to routs by teams who know how to take advantage down low.  A key to the season will be in this team's ability to minimize this as best as possible.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (10/18/2021 4:53 pm)

10/18/2021 5:33 pm  #2

Re: Five Burning Questions

I think 3,4,5 are linked.  Our only chance at having a very effective interior defense lies with a very active havoc like perimeter defense to prevent the ball from even entering .  This will require a deeperbench to sustain for 40 min.

10/19/2021 4:10 am  #3

Thanks for these.  I would say the questions about defense are broader than just post defense.  Our perimeter defense hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire under JC, but with Bamisile and Adams, we should hopefully be much improved on the perimeter.

Here’s 5 more questions for me:

1) Can JC get the team off to a good start? Last two years starts were especially bad before the team got a bit better. You could surmise that the first year was due to a new system and last year to covid practice restrictions.  But now with these players in place, albeit a lot of new ones, we need to see if JC can get his team organized and focused from day 1, rather than it not happening until December or January.

2) Can we shoot enough in the half court to keep the offense from bogging down? Personally I’m not too concerned about Bishop’s decision making. I think those concerns are a bit overblown (as this board always seems especially harsh on PG’s and I think his decision making would have looked better if he had more and better guys to involve).  I would imagine most teams, at least early, will clog the paint to try to stop Bishop drives and slashing from Bam and Adams and Lindo - so we are going to have to hit enough threes to make teams pay for clogging the paint.

3) Will our offensive scheme remain easy to defend. Over the past two years, we’ve had among the highest percentage of possessions in which we ran high ball screens of any team in the country.  I think that’s made us predictable, and in fact Fordham for all its flaws seemed to actually be adept at defending our ball screen offense.  So what I want to know is whether there’s a plan B if a team is effectively stopping that offense.  This could be where Freeman comes in - a second Pg on the court might mean attacking from new angles.

4) how good is Joe Bamisile?  I suspect he’s an excellent all spine player and probably closer to the top 50 HS recruit than the guy who couldn’t get on the court for the Hokies. I think the combo of experienced wings on that team and lack of practice time due to covid probably held him back.   But I think his development is probably one of the key determinations of our future. We need him to be that third consistent scorer behind Bishop and Lindo (and if not him, Freeman or Adams), but his success will be critical even beyond this year.  If he is the real deal, the future is bright for GW but we really don’t know yet what he’ll do when the games count.

5) will JC be willing to go small at times?  Losing Ira Lee really hurt.  I know the team has high hopes for Brown, but we are going to have to play minutes without him.  Presumably that means double digits for Dean based on the way JC had played his first two years here.  But last year Dean really struggled on defense and gave nothing on the boards.  He was tall, but not physical enough for a good a10 team.  That could change this year, but my assumption is that we will have problem (to OP’s question about interior D).  So what I’m curious, especially if it’s not working with Dean, is whether JC will go small ball with no 5.  Lindo is a college 4 (who would need to play the 3 to make the next level, which would require his 3 pt shot to improve).  But what happens if we play Lindo with Bishop, Bam, Adams, and Freeman or Nixon? Or put Knapp out there with 3 perimeter guys and Lindo?  Would that space defenses out and make our offense tough to defense, would it allow us to run, and could we rebound using quickness rather than size?  It would be fun to find out.

10/19/2021 9:32 am  #4

PKGW, I suppose you're correct in a literal sense, but it's hard to envision the ball never entering the low post even with a highly successful perimeter defense.  This has been a bit of an achilles heel for this program for a while now.  I can't overemphasize how important it is to keep the "easy basket scale" relatively even.  When one team scores considerably more easy points than the other, that almost always results in a victory.  And yes, depth plays an important role here to be sure.

FQ, I have made certain assumptions, which may turn out to be misguided ones, that address a few of your concerns.  First, I am assuming our perimeter defense will be better based solely on current vs. former personnel.  I am also assuming that we will get off to a much faster start given the OOC schedule.  Yes, this could have also been said in past years so it's certainly possible that we will again see a disproportionately high share of bad losses.

The point about James is definitely a "remains to be seen" point.  I don't see criticisms of his play last season (particularly early on) as being similar to criticisms of past point guards.  James has far more of a scoring mentality than any GW point guard not named Shawnta Rogers or Jair Bolden that I can recall.  He may very well have lacked trust in his teammates which could explain this at least in part, even though it became clear that early in the season, he was not actively looking for Jameson Battle to get involved.  (This changed as the season progressed.)  Today, he really should have faith in most of his teammates so we'll see how he responds.  By the way, it's worth clarifying that I am all for James scoring 20 points a game.  This is not about him being a scorer and not a facilitator.  My point is that he needs to be both and this is where decision making comes into play.  If he is taking smart shots while getting his teammates involved, that would be great.  When you play as much as he does, with the ball in your hands on practically every possession, there is more than enough opportunity to do both.

Other points, at this time last year, the coaching staff was salivating over the team's three point shooting and specifically, about having three outstanding shooters in Jack, Battle and Seymour would lead to great floor spacing.  As it turned out, I don't believe we ever saw all three of these players on the court at the same time because frankly, the team would be giving up too much defensively to make this work.  My sense is that this year's team will be far more athletic with (hopefully) Amir having an expanded role along with Joe and Ricky than it will be a team known for its three point shooting.  That said, your point about being able to get and make open threes when the lane clogs is certainly valid.

How good will Joe be?  Again, another assumption on my part.  I think we've all seen the natural talent that James and Ricky possess.  The model is that they played bit roles at major programs before arriving at GW, and that Joe will follow suit.  Brendan is admittedly more of a mystery to me as I do not understand the low shooting percentages at UCONN.  Am certain that Brendan can and will contribute in other areas and along with Amir, can be considered another "glue guy" for this team.  Nevertheless, if Brendan can get his shooting straightened out, that would be a huge plus.

Finally, I think JC will go small at times and I feel this will be out of necessity.  There are simply times during a game when you'll need your top 5 or 5 of your top 6 players on the court together and unless there's been some dramatic improvement, it's not likely that Hunter or Noel are there yet.     

10/19/2021 10:05 am  #5

Quick note to clarify an earlier comment regarding point guards.  We have definitely had other point guards in the past who proved to be capable scorers.  However, I'm not sure I'd put these guys in the "score first mentality" group.  Carl Elliott became a scorer out of necessity once Pops/Mike/JR/Omar left.  TJ Thompson began his career as more of a facilitator but looked to score more once he became the elder statesman on the early Pops/Mike/Omar team.  These guys were freshmen and not fully ready to assert themselves offensively yet.  Tony Taylor simply lacked a strong enough supporting cast which is why he looked to score.  But, I always felt his mindset was to be a points/assists guy rather than a "score first" guy.  And in all fairness, Shawnta should also be regarded as a player who was equally as interested in getting his teammates involved as he was at scoring.

Board footera