GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2021 10:02 am  #1

Next Chapter for Mike Hall

[color=inherit]Mike Hall[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/_Michaelinho]@_Michaelinho[/url] Happy to announce that I’ve accepted a player development management position with the @nyknicks and their GLeague affiliate @wcknicks. I have dreamed about this opportunity for years and the chance to work for one of the most storied franchises in NBA history is beyond belief!  [url=https://twitter.com/_Michaelinho/status/1451902565373915142/photo/1][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/_Michaelinho/status/1451902565373915142/photo/2]9:25 AM · Oct 23, 2021=inherit·Twitter for iPhone

10/23/2021 9:56 pm  #2

Re: Next Chapter for Mike Hall

Congrats to Mike.
Working with Pops, who is Knicks Director of Minor League Operations!

10/24/2021 9:39 am  #3

Great Colonial connection there!

10/24/2021 7:56 pm  #4

First step in a coaching career?

10/25/2021 5:52 am  #5

I believe he interviewed for our HC job after Mojo.

10/25/2021 9:37 am  #6

Mentzinger wrote:

I believe he interviewed for our HC job after Mojo.

Wasn't that the issue?   Didn't he apply and request an interview but the school chose not to do it (for which I believe they later apologized).    Is my failing memory correct?   In any event, when he did apply for the GW job, I don't believe that there was any former coaching experience on his resume although that didn't really stop GW from hiring Mojo.  (Sorry, I just had to throw that in).    Obviously by taking a job of this kind, Mike is trying to get his foot in the door doing something in basketball.  

10/25/2021 10:00 am  #7

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Wasn't that the issue?   Didn't he apply and request an interview but the school chose not to do it (for which I believe they later apologized).    Is my failing memory correct?   In any event, when he did apply for the GW job, I don't believe that there was any former coaching experience on his resume although that didn't really stop GW from hiring Mojo.  (Sorry, I just had to throw that in).    Obviously by taking a job of this kind, Mike is trying to get his foot in the door doing something in basketball.  

I didn’t know he ever applied for the HC job. I do remember his Twitter thread came after JC hired Eric Atkins for the assistant job.

For right or wrong college basketball staff jobs normally require working your way up the ladder from DOBO to AC to HC.  That’s the path TJ Thompson is on at Rutgers.  Mike obviously didn’t have any DOBO experience so that’s probably why he wasn’t selected for an interview. Personally I think Mike Hall deserved to be interviewed and possibly skip a step on the ladder and get an AC job right away, but that’s not how it works.

So happy he got the gig in NY working for Pops. Hopefully it shows recruits how GW can set you up for jobs after graduation.

10/25/2021 10:06 am  #8

I recall during one of the alumni games that MoJo successfully put together witnessing the outstanding chemistry that Pops and Mike had with one another even many years after they were teammates.  Great to see that they will be working together.

10/25/2021 7:09 pm  #9

That's awesome, congrats to Mike. I hope GW keeps in touch with him and how he's doing.

10/26/2021 6:11 am  #10

GW0509 wrote:

That’s the path TJ Thompson is on at Rutgers.

TJ Thompson is on the staff with KH, who's first words when he arrived was that he needed a "real point guard" (or words to that effect)?
Life is long.

Board footera