GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2022 9:05 pm  #221

Re: Other Games Thread

2 Questions for Thomas (or anyone)

can St Johns ever be St Johns again? can the right Coach restore that progam to glory? I think we both agreed Mullin wasn't the guy to do it. Play in the Garden,all that NYC area talent, what's preventing St Johns from succeeding so many years in a row?

#2 - wanted to ask your thoughts about the A10 POY race since I know you follow college hoops so closely

Last edited by The Dude (2/03/2022 9:06 pm)

2/03/2022 9:40 pm  #222

The Dude,  they mentioned that St.John's current coach Mike Anderson has never had a losing season in 20+ years of coaching, his teams haven't quite gotten to that elite level yet. I think he can turn things around. Despite coming into tonight's game with a 3-6 record, I think this St. John's team is very good, they had COVID interrupt their season, and the Big East is just really tough from top to bottom, they have 8 or 9 teams who are good enough to make the NCAA tournament, Georgetown appears to be the only easy win/bottom-feeder this year. I think St. John's is good enough to finish in the top 4 or 5 of the Big East.

FQ summed up the A10 Player of the Year candidates in the other thread. I haven't followed it that closely, but I assume someone from Davidson would be the frontrunner at the moment since they look to be the best team in the conference. Oduro from George Mason is also someone who may have a case if George Mason finishes 1st or 2nd. I don't think GW will finish high enough for Bishop or Bamisile to make the 1st team, maybe if Bishop gets his scoring average above 20PPG. 

2/05/2022 10:26 am  #223

SBU officially garbage after losing by 10 to Richmond. It's a one bid league for the AQ at this point.

2/05/2022 12:58 pm  #224

Thomas, it would be great to see St Johns on top again!

2/05/2022 7:46 pm  #225

The GW duo of Karl and Pikiell annhilated #13 ranked Michigan St for a huge win

at 7-5 in Big10 play and with tourney resumes wins, a return to the Dance looks in play again for Rutgers 

2/05/2022 8:37 pm  #226

George Mason lost 83-78 at La Salle today. They were playing without star big man Josh Oduro. According to posters on their board, one of the announcers said of Kim English, "He's making his way over here. I don't want anything to happen to us." They seem to believe that the comment may have had a racial intent. I assume these were the La Salle announcers calling the game since it was only on ESPN+. Did anyone here see this?

There was another somewhat controversial moment towards the end of St. Louis' 72-61 win over Dayton. Late in the game with St. Louis up by about 15, a St. Louis player threw down a 1-handed dunk, the ball bounced into the stands, as Dayton's guard Smith went to pick up the ball it appeared as if he got into an exchange of words with a person sitting in the stands. That person was former St. Louis star Jordair Jett. This exchange really angered Dayton coach Anthony Grant as he ran towards the baseline and started yelling. He had to be restrained by his assistant coaches. I believe Jordair Jett was ordered to leave the building.  

'

2/06/2022 11:30 pm  #227

Providence trounced Gtown on the road 71-52 today

Jerry Palm has them as a 2 seed they have 10 Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins,  5-1 in Quad 1, 20-2 overall this year
KenPom on the other hand...not so great.  What a job by the great Ed Cooley 

2/07/2022 11:45 am  #228

Old friend Maceo Jack made the SC Top 10 with this dunk from Saturday

https://twitter.com/ubmenshoops/status/1490131513089867783?s=21

2/07/2022 1:08 pm  #229

Woah, Maceo! What a play

2/07/2022 3:23 pm  #230

Thomas wrote:

George Mason lost 83-78 at La Salle today. They were playing without star big man Josh Oduro. According to posters on their board, one of the announcers said of Kim English, "He's making his way over here. I don't want anything to happen to us." They seem to believe that the comment may have had a racial intent. I assume these were the La Salle announcers calling the game since it was only on ESPN+. Did anyone here see this?

There was another somewhat controversial moment towards the end of St. Louis' 72-61 win over Dayton. Late in the game with St. Louis up by about 15, a St. Louis player threw down a 1-handed dunk, the ball bounced into the stands, as Dayton's guard Smith went to pick up the ball it appeared as if he got into an exchange of words with a person sitting in the stands. That person was former St. Louis star Jordair Jett. This exchange really angered Dayton coach Anthony Grant as he ran towards the baseline and started yelling. He had to be restrained by his assistant coaches. I believe Jordair Jett was ordered to leave the building.  

'

Thomas, I didn't hear the quote at the Mason game but I highly doubt it had any racial intent. I heard someone else comment about it that it was because English was very angry at his team's performance and refs and the announcer made a bad joke.in response. Meaning English looked like was going to beat someone up he was so angry. I've heard that joke before in other contexts with respect to all sorts of people both within sports and elsewhere. People have to stop assuming the worst in everyone without more information. That's the pandemic we have now. 

2/07/2022 7:58 pm  #231

Huge possible upset brewing.  

UVA having a very down season, on the bubble after those #1 seed years and a national title, has been beating Duke in Cameron. 

It will be interesting to see if Tony Bennett can get  UVA back to that level 2014-2018 teams where UVA was going 16-2 in the league and landing 1 seeds. 

2/07/2022 9:03 pm  #232

Mason without Oduro had a chance to beat Richmond, but misses layup and Gilyard hits three-pointer with one second left for a 62-59 win for Richmond. Nice to have Gilyard and Golden for 5 years.

2/07/2022 9:14 pm  #233

And Mason loss pulls us into tie for 7th place in conference with Mason. Who would have thunk we would be a 1/2 game behind St. Bonaventure at this point in the season at the beginning of the season? Of course, who would have thunk that the Bonnies would be in 6th place at this point in the season? We sure need to win our second road game of the season at UMass Wednesday night.

2/07/2022 10:15 pm  #234

Gilyard hit 7 three-pointers tonight, including the game winner. George Mason and Richmond will actually play again on Wednesday night at George Mason. Oduro is in concussion protocol, he's been in it at least twice this year, could this be a long-term issue for him? Oduro is the A-10's leading scorer and George Mason has lost every conference game he's missed.

2/07/2022 11:46 pm  #235

UVA pulls off the stunner, a win at Cameron. 

This UVA team lost to James Madison and Navy at home

2/08/2022 10:06 pm  #236

In a battle of former A10 Coaches, Hurley's UCONN beats Marquette 80-70.

Adama Sanogo, what a monster.  NBA draft pick?

2/09/2022 5:13 pm  #237

About Virginia, Tony Bennett always seemed to take a group of somewhat unheralded recruits and turn them into a dominant team. This year's team had played like a bunch of 3-star recruits(for the most part) until this win at Duke. They still play the elite level defense and are now in the top half of the ACC, they could still end up as a fairly high seed in the NCAA tournament if they finish strong. The ACC is a bit down this year.

#16 Ohio State at Rutgers 7 Big 10 Network

Minnesota at Nebraska  9 Big 10 Network - Nebraska is 0-12 in the Big 10. Minnesota is 2-9 after the great start to the season. Minnesota has been competitive in most of their losses but the Big 10(much like the Big East and Big 12) is just very strong from top to bottom

Georgetown at DePaul  9  FS1  - Georgetown has lost 11 straight games. In their last game, Providence guard/local player Jared Bynum scored 32 points, 27 of those points came in the 2nd half. He actually outscored Georgetown by himself in the 2nd half, 27-22!! Bynum went to Georgetown Prep, so he was literally right next door, some of you may remember Bynum being teammates with Mezie Offurum and/or playing at St.Joe's as a freshman. This could be a pivotal game for Georgetown's program because a bad loss to DePaul(who is 2-9 in the Big East) may anger some Georgetown backers/boosters to the point where they demand Ewing gets fired immediately. DePaul won their last game at #21 Xavier, so they should have a lot more confidence coming into this game.  

2/09/2022 5:18 pm  #238

It would be pretty funny if they fire another coach with a legendary name in their program.

2/09/2022 6:25 pm  #239

Thomas wrote:

About Virginia, Tony Bennett always seemed to take a group of somewhat unheralded recruits and turn them into a dominant team. This year's team had played like a bunch of 3-star recruits(for the most part) until this win at Duke. They still play the elite level defense and are now in the top half of the ACC, they could still end up as a fairly high seed in the NCAA tournament if they finish strong. The ACC is a bit down this year.

#16 Ohio State at Rutgers 7 Big 10 Network

Minnesota at Nebraska  9 Big 10 Network - Nebraska is 0-12 in the Big 10. Minnesota is 2-9 after the great start to the season. Minnesota has been competitive in most of their losses but the Big 10(much like the Big East and Big 12) is just very strong from top to bottom

Georgetown at DePaul  9  FS1  - Georgetown has lost 11 straight games. In their last game, Providence guard/local player Jared Bynum scored 32 points, 27 of those points came in the 2nd half. He actually outscored Georgetown by himself in the 2nd half, 27-22!! Bynum went to Georgetown Prep, so he was literally right next door, some of you may remember Bynum being teammates with Mezie Offurum and/or playing at St.Joe's as a freshman. This could be a pivotal game for Georgetown's program because a bad loss to DePaul(who is 2-9 in the Big East) may anger some Georgetown backers/boosters to the point where they demand Ewing gets fired immediately. DePaul won their last game at #21 Xavier, so they should have a lot more confidence coming into this game.  

Thomas, I have it on reasonable authority that had Karl Hobbs remained at GW, Jared Bynum would have been a Colonial.  No way of course to know for sure but a strong possibility.  There was a good amount of mutual interest.  Interesting that ML would end up recruiting Mezie rather than his high school teammate.

2/09/2022 10:05 pm  #240

Huge win for the boys from GW at Rutgers!  Ohio St, #16 goes down.

After a bumpy start, Karl and Pikiell, 8-5 in the Big 10 and with some massive wins,  look poised for a 3rd straight NCAA tourney at large bid.

Board footera