GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2022 3:29 pm  #321

Re: Other Games Thread

Iowa also has a KenPom of 14 and a 15 Net, but they will get a worse see than they deserve because of their Quad 1 record.  They were listed on bubbles recently because of it.

IT will be really interesting to see how much they apply the Quad 1 come selection Sunday to both bubble teams and seeding.  Wake and North Carolina e.g and the A10 teams all of them light on Quad 1 wins

If two conference teams play each other with a 31-60 Net, if they split with the road team winning each game, its goes down as 2 Quad 1 wins.  If the Home team wins each game, its goes down as 0 Quad 1 wins.  The system is just so deeply flawed.   The computer metrics do a much better job.  Under those Iowa would a 4 seed.   Providence would be a 7 seed. 

And if you watch them both you can see Iowa is the better team, despite their Quad 1 records

3/10/2022 3:35 pm  #322

Mentzinger wrote:

Maceo playing today in the MAC Tournament for Buffalo. Tied at Half..

Tough 2-point loss, Jack on bench down the stretch for SUNY-Buffalo.

3/10/2022 9:22 pm  #323

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33471641/georgia-men-basketball-coach-tom-crean-fired-four-seasons-bulldogs

Georgia fired men's basketball coach Tom Crean in the wake of a 6-26 season, the school announced Thursday.

Crean's tenure at Georgia ends after four seasons and a 47-75 record, including a 15-58 mark in SEC games.

Last edited by The Dude (3/10/2022 9:23 pm)

3/10/2022 10:05 pm  #324

Thomas wrote:

I don't think Jair has played in a while, he's been a healthy scratch!! It looks he got recruited over during the offseason. 

Indiana beat Michigan 74-69, IU trailed by 17 in the 2nd half. I believe that was considered an NCAA tourney play-in game for both teams, so Michigan may be headed to the NIT now.

Syracuse lost today without Buddy Boeheim, but I was surprised to see that he actually finished the game against Florida State after he threw the punch. How could the refs not review the play? Did the FSU player not tell his coach that Boeheim punched him? Syracuse probably would have won(and had a good shot at winning the tournament after knocking off Duke) if Boeheim played so justice was served!!

Georgetown was actually competitive for the entire game against Seton Hall but were unable to execute in the final seconds and lost. It looks like Patrick Ewing will return because they are too cheap or are afraid of the Ghost of John Thompson Jr. to make drastic changes. Down below is a post from an anonymous former Georgetown player who bashes the program and the influence John Thompson and his family have.

https://medium.com/@tamers.blurbs-0u/opinion-from-a-former-player-georgetown-mens-basketball-program-reaches-epic-corruption-levels-b053ef58ab5d 

Thomas, I'd hope Jair serves as a cautionary tale.  I get going down if you have zero time here, I get moving up if you are Lasan Kethan or Battle, but I'd say any of the 3 would have been in a similar spot professionally if they stayed at GW

But Jair who has been getting zero time at all the 2nd half of the year, a real disservice to him. In the Big East he's lost all of his PT this season, on one of the weaker teams in the league.

Last edited by The Dude (3/11/2022 12:25 am)

3/11/2022 8:51 pm  #325

Michigan St beats Wisconsin, there goes any doubt about their bubble status

Wisconsin, along with Providence will be the 2 most over-seeded teams, Providence is getting waxed by a very underrated Creighton team tonight

3/11/2022 9:41 pm  #326

Marfo and 11th seeded Quinnipiac are playing in the MAAC semifinals against 2nd seeded St. Peters on ESPN News, the game is early in the 2nd half and St. Peters leads by 6

3/12/2022 5:58 am  #327

Dude as usual making pronouncements without doing the minimum research. It is easy that way to him to defend his ever hanging opinions. Jair is not playing because he was recruited over.
Jair has been injured. It easy to look up. But even easier to spout opinions without worrying about facts.
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2022/03/03/jair-boldens-butler-basketball-career-ends-he-turns-help-others/9321762002/

3/12/2022 8:15 am  #328

Nice to see Richmond beat VCU.  Really enjoy watching the style of play that UR plays - structured motion offensive sets and strong D - much better than the hacking VCU - “refs won’t call everything “ style.

3/12/2022 11:28 am  #329

Right now on ESPN Justin Mazzulla and the Vermont Catamounts are squaring off against Darnell Rogers and UMBC.

3/12/2022 11:36 am  #330

The announcers have mentioned that Vermont coach Becker(I believe he replaced Mike Lonergan and has continued to dominate the league) will be pursued by schools from larger conferences. It seems as if Rhode Island and UMass would be logical fits since he could still recruit from the same areas or maybe a BCS school like Georgia will make him a big offer, Becker has probably dominated enough to justify a leap to a BCS/Power 5 school similar to Steve Pikiel. Someone here posted that UMass was likely to hire a UConn assistant but if Becker were interested in the job, I'd take him over Hurley's assistant. 

Last edited by Thomas (3/12/2022 11:41 am)

3/12/2022 11:52 am  #331

Thomas wrote:

The announcers have mentioned that Vermont coach Becker(I believe he replaced Mike Lonergan and has continued to dominate the league) will be pursued by schools from larger conferences. It seems as if Rhode Island and UMass would be logical fits since he could still recruit from the same areas or maybe a BCS school like Georgia will make him a big offer, Becker has probably dominated enough to justify a leap to a BCS/Power 5 school similar to Steve Pikiel. Someone here posted that UMass was likely to hire a UConn assistant but if Becker were interested in the job, I'd take him over Hurley's assistant. 

One of the announcers had some really nice words about Shawnta too. Called him the toughest SOB in college basketball.  

It was me re: Umass and I've seen the rumors about Kimani Young have now been debunked.  He may be interviewed but it's not as done a deal as was previously reported.  The last two Umass hires have been ex-player Kellogg and mid-major McCall.  They did try to hire Pat Kelsey before McCall but he backed out last minute.  I think if I had to handicap they'll go for a safe pick (aka high-floor) hire.

3/12/2022 12:37 pm  #332

GW0509,  You think UMass and Rhode Island will go the 'Fired BCS Coaches' route and hire someone like Cuonzo Martin, Bruce Weber or Tom Crean(The Dude's favorite coach!! LOL) ? I think someone like Cuonzo Martin would do a similar job to what Anthony Grant and Travis Ford are now doing in the A10, where he will immediately bring in highly touted transfers and high school recruits, and have his team finishing in the top 4 of the A10 in a short period of time.

Vermont is going to win this game going away, but I wanted to say more about Becker. Either on this board or the old board, Becker's name was brought up to replace Mojo, and someone posted a link to Vermont's message board where their posters were saying that "Becker and his family loved Vermont and didn't want to leave." I'm not sure whether it's true or not but the America East conference will always be a 1-bid league, would a great coach want to be in a situation where he has a team that is 27-5, 17-1 in conference(which Vermont is this year) but needs to win the conference tournament to get an NCAA bid? I'm sure that's got to be real frustrating for a guy coaching a powerhouse mid-major program. I recall that Pikiell and Stony Brook seemed to always have the top seed in their conference but would get upset in the conference tournament until his final year there, then he left for Rutgers. 

3/12/2022 12:43 pm  #333

Justin Mazzulla is going dancing. Another ex-GW player going to the tournament. Congratulations to Justin!

IMO, Becker should look towards Power 5. He's done an incredible job and Vermont

3/12/2022 12:59 pm  #334

Former Lonergan assistant Becker sure looks like he would be an asset anywhere.
There's another place that could use his talents, but alas, it seems improbable at the moment for numerous reasons.

3/12/2022 1:17 pm  #335

Yeah just like with the last guy fired for abuse, I don't think so :

On February 18, 2022, hundreds of students at the University of Vermont protested,  calling for Becker's firing because his role in covering up a rape allegation against a star player. The controversy came up when Becker was identified as a potential candidate for the opening as the new UMass head coach job

caveat Vermonter

Congratulations to Mazz!

Last edited by The Dude (3/12/2022 1:18 pm)

3/12/2022 1:31 pm  #336

Thomas wrote:

He was an assistant to ML at Catholic and Vermont.

3/12/2022 2:01 pm  #337

jf wrote:

Former Lonergan assistant Becker sure looks like he would be an asset anywhere.
There's another place that could use his talents, but alas, it seems improbable at the moment for numerous reasons.

You're talking about Georgetown, right? 

You make it sound like Becker was just waiting by the phone like a school girl but GW's administration was too inept to call.  In reality, he's been turning down A-10 and other offers for years now.  Wouldn't be surprised if he just decides to dominate the American East for the rest of his career. 

From the sound of things, this is the first year where it seems like he'd entertain an offer to leave.  So even if we wanted to hire him in 2017 or 2019 he would've said no. And if we had an opening now we'd be going up against URI and UMass who could offer more money.  Lonergan said Becker was a candidate for UConn in 2018 but they went with Hurley instead so that gives a sense of what other offers Becker was fielding at the time.

3/12/2022 2:02 pm  #338

Thomas.   Regarding your statement to the effect that Ewing would not be fired because of the ghost of John. Thompson, don’t you think that even apart from Thompson, Patrick could more than stand on what he has meant in talking Ge**getown from a sleepy local program, ala GW and American, to the program we all wish we could become notwithstanding their stinky season and as such is entitled to the benefit of the doubt? Even as bad as the H*yas were, they still had a KenPom rating better than we did.

3/12/2022 2:10 pm  #339

Thomas wrote:

GW0509,  You think UMass and Rhode Island will go the 'Fired BCS Coaches' route and hire someone like Cuonzo Martin, Bruce Weber or Tom Crean(The Dude's favorite coach!! LOL) ? I think someone like Cuonzo Martin would do a similar job to what Anthony Grant and Travis Ford are now doing in the A10, where he will immediately bring in highly touted transfers and high school recruits, and have his team finishing in the top 4 of the A10 in a short period of time.

I think the odds are high that UMass does that just because they've tried the other two routes so recently. For URI, I think they could decide to hire someone like Grasso.

3/12/2022 3:41 pm  #340

LSF,  despite Patrick Ewing's heroics/greatness as a player at Georgetown(and then the NBA), Georgetown just had one of the worst seasons in college basketball history in my opinion...21 Straight Losses, 0 for 20 in Big East games!! That is more than just a bad season, a bad season would be 2 or 3 conference wins, not zero. Also, this is his 4th or 5th year as coach, there should be some sort of forward progress with his team at this point. I don't see any way a school that wants to win can justify bringing him back, but it looks like he will be back with new assistants. Another thing to keep in mind is, the Big East has the old-school round robin format so you can't benefit from an uneven schedule like other conferences, you can't inflate your conference record by feasting on bad teams in the Big East!! Georgetown may lose their best 2 players/leading scorers so they could be even worse next year.

GW0509,  I didn't know Becker was also ML's assistant at Catholic U, do you think ML has been advising him on what job to take? I haven't paid that close attention to the Maryland job search, Rick Pitino and USC's Enfield are the big names brought up, but Becker seems to be someone they would consider. The LSU job just opened up, so there could be lots of big-name schools targeting Becker. 

Board footera