GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2021 6:48 pm  #41

Re: Is Jamion Christian "Coaching For His Job"?

I don't think he will be in the hot seat at all this year, despite his obvious deficiencies as a game coach.  Maybe not next year, either, unless Vogel got to the stage where she felt it would be either him or her.  Coach should take two hours to sit and watch how a basketball juggernaut, Yeshiva, runs their offense and team.  Not kidding.

11/17/2021 7:03 pm  #42

Not sure who BM is recommending and not recommending, I'll admit I'm a but too young to remember some of the coaches beyond Hobbs. But that guy two coaches back never abused anyone and would've had GW in the tourney again, and I'll die on that hill.

11/17/2021 9:49 pm  #43

Free Quebec wrote:

If you could combine JC’s positivity and general outlook with ML’s attention to detail, we’d be a top 25 team in no time.

Bingo.  But of course such a franken-coach would be poached in a hot second.

Last edited by BM (11/17/2021 9:51 pm)

11/18/2021 10:08 am  #44

The first point to make is if JC is feeling added pressure and that's negatively impacting his coaching abilities, then that's totally on JC.  For the record, I do not think this is what's happening.  Of course JC wants to win as much as anyone but when you go from being a competitive athlete to a fairly high profile head basketball coach, you should pretty much know what you're getting yourself into and I believe this is the case with JC.  I don't feel that concepts like "I must win at lease a certain number of games this season in order to keep my job" are even on the table as possibilities.  If this season ends up being very disappointing, I could more easily see JC jumping to a smaller program (based on reading the writing on the wall) than I can him getting released after this season.  Personally, I think there's a 98% chance that he is our coach in 2022-23.

As for the other part of the question, no, I don't believe we would have been any better off had JC stuck to an original philosophy or scheme.  JC is trying to coach to the personnel he has and I believe this flexibility is a benefit.  The reason for this is that he has been unable to replicate what he witnessed at VCU which was having a team of 9-11 guys who all played and all stayed fresh which was essential towards playing the style they wanted.  If his GW team had this type of depth, there is a strong likelihood that we would be watching mayhem.  JC knows he doesn't have it without experiencing some major drop-offs in talent on the floor.  This is why the team's best players are still logging 35+ minutes  as long as they stay out of foul trouble.  When you look at those very successful VCU teams, nobody played 35+ minutes.  Hardly anyone played 30 minutes.  The point was to get your rest so that you could go all-out on the court without getting tired.  Think changes in ice hockey lines.

Last point, my guess was that from a scheduling perspective, the Maryland game came late and threw everything off kilter.  Had Maryland not been scheduled, the team would have played on a Tuesday, flown to Cali for games on Saturday and Tuesday, and then flown home for a Friday night game.  But, Maryland says we'll do it but only on this date and it's understandably very hard to say no to that game.  So, we end up with 3 games in 5 nights which includes a cross country trip.  This is the reality.  It's not an excuse but it's not nothing either.  Without the Maryland game, maybe this team flys out on Thursday, is far more fresh and ready to play on Saturday,  and then who knows what happens.

So some of you will say "that's great but they did say yes to Maryland" and that's very true.  But it's also kind of a no-win situation for if we had turned down playing Maryland because of this upcoming California trip, people here would be going crazy wondering why it was more important to play the 3rd of 3 San Diego schools and Fullerton as opposed to scheduling the Terps.

11/18/2021 10:58 am  #45

Although i generally agree with what you post, Mayhem, I will disagree with a couple of things from your last post.   Although I do not believe that Christian (or anyone) has a certain number of victories in mind needed for him to keep his job, in the end, you are what your record says you are.  If the coach is still losing 20 games in his 3rd season (which early on is looking like a real possibility), at least for me it is hard to justify not making a change.  I won't say 20 losses is the magic number, but without a demonstration of improvement, I think he is, at a minimum, "on the hot seat".    Another point of contention is your statement that JC is trying to coach to the personnel that he has.   One of my concerns about JC is that they are not being coached to their strengths, but rather a system has been implemented that is not taking advantage of their strengths.    One small case in point (that I had mentioned earlier) was the Fullerton game, in which Brown, who had a size advantage over anyone on Fullerton, seemed to be unstoppable on the low post (he was 4 for 6), but was used mostly at the top of the key where he was either setting an ineffective high pick or touching the ball far more often than he should have in that position.  We should have been pounding the ball inside to him until Fullerton showed they could stop him, rather than allowing a player to miss 14 of 21 shots from the outside.   It seems to me that the players are being coached to play a system which does not fit for them.   I am not sure that any of the players are being used in a manner that maximizes their offensive skills.   Finally, you may be correct about our reasons for saying yes to Maryland.  And yes, it has been a physically taxing schedule.  But I am just not buying that things may had been different if instread of playing Maryland, we had an off day.   The played poorly and the lost.  Badly.   Both games.  Further, by time they played Fullerton, they had already been in California for 4 nights...more than enough time to adjust to the travel and time differences.   They lost both games because at least as of this point in the season, they are not a very good basketball team, not because we played Maryland 48 hours before the road trip.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (11/18/2021 11:02 am)

11/18/2021 11:00 am  #46

I don't understand the purpose of the California trip in general.  We don't recruit out there and neither team was supposed to be any good, so you don't get the benefit of a good OOC, or experience playing in a tough environment.  It seems like those game were really a high risk low reward venture, to which we received no reward.

11/18/2021 11:13 am  #47

porter71 wrote:

I don't understand the purpose of the California trip in general.  We don't recruit out there and neither team was supposed to be any good, so you don't get the benefit of a good OOC, or experience playing in a tough environment.  It seems like those game were really a high risk low reward venture, to which we received no reward.

I seem to recall someone saying it was sort of a gift to Ira Lee who is from Southern Cal. Turns out we really got no reward because we have no Ira Lee and no wins from the trip.

Last edited by GW0509 (11/18/2021 11:27 am)

11/18/2021 1:14 pm  #48

LSF, a few things.

First, I'll clarify that because JC is not getting fired after this season, for any reason aside from with cause, I don't believe that he or the school is fixated on winning or losing a specific number of games this season.  He's simply not being let go with two full years on his contract because he didn't win enough whether you, me or anyone else believes that firing him would be justified.  After next year becomes more realistic, but even that has some real uncertainties associated with it.

Next, I'll stand by my statement that he is trying to coach to the personnel he has.  I'm not sure this translates to changes on a game by game basis which may be part of the problem.  Perhaps Noel could have been dominant these past two games (though in the San Diego game, he looked rather winded to me after picking up many of Hunter's minutes for the first time).  But, JC does not perceive Noel to be one of this team's offensive strengths so his role offensively gets diminished.  The reason why James and Joe take most of the shots is because JC feels they are our best weapons offensively so his offense is structured to take advantage of their one on one skills.  Last year, all JC talked about was 3's because he had Battle, Jack and Seymour.  This year, not a lot of talk about 3's.  

Finally, any discussion about the scheduling of Maryland and how this impacted the California games is an unknowable one.  I am not making a definitive statement that without having played Maryland, we win one or both games out west.  Am simply saying, that because we played Maryland and this led to a jam packed schedule, who is to say how we MAY have looked in California without having played this game.  Of course you can say they had plenty of rest before Fullerton but maybe if they had rest before San Diego and played confidently and won easily, maybe the perform quite differently against Fullerton?  It's admittedly a "what if" game where nobody will ever definitively know the real answers but I do feel the discussion is grounded in real factors rather than pie in the sky assumptions.

11/19/2021 10:21 pm  #49

I am not one to call for people to be fired.  Have had way too many termination conversations and it is not something to discuss flippantly.

However, when someone is in over their head in a role that they are clearly not ready for, it is time to move on.

Board footera