GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2021 4:24 pm  #81

Re: GW vs Wright St Game Thread

congrats GW!

11/22/2021 4:24 pm  #82

So what do you naysayers have to say for yourselves now?   Even in down years, a win always feels good.

11/22/2021 4:26 pm  #83

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

Wow. A win!

Not only that but it looks like we extended the lead!

11/22/2021 4:27 pm  #84

Leaving Ricky in up by 11 with 27 seconds left might not have been the best way to handle a 3 game tournament.
However, a win!
Second hope Ricky is Ok. No one seemed to be too concerned, so with luck,just feeling the spill.

11/22/2021 4:28 pm  #85

The guys started to blow a big lead again in the second half, but righted the ship and finished strong.  Don't know how good Wright State is but they were favored by 8. Is this the start of something positive? Only time will tell. In the meantime, a win is a win is a win. A Gdub victory and a 2-game win streak by the WFT-- will miracles never cease!

11/22/2021 4:28 pm  #86

I likewise thought it peculiar that with under 30 seconds left in the game, the announcer had to tell us that the floor needed to be mopped, when the floor mopping was the only scene were able to see.

11/22/2021 4:29 pm  #87

Hail to the Buff! Hail to the Blue!!!!
Sure, there were wafts of U$C and I*%@ in the final 8 mins, and leaving Lindo on the court to be targetted by Wright St´s goon squad in the final min was not wise, but this was the team showing us its upside potential. And, Wright St has to look forward to not only going back to Ohio, not only going back to Dayton but going back to a suburb/ex-urb of Dayton... a thought that may entice more than a few players on the team to consider transferring to Naples Community School.
I won´t delve too deeply in to nit-picking today and instead will spend the night hoping the Colonials treat Kent St the way the Ohio National Guard treats anti-war protesters and massacres them (too soon?).

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (11/22/2021 4:52 pm)

11/22/2021 4:32 pm  #88

Great to see us get a win again.  And Wright St is not a bad team (we’ve lost to worse teams our last three, though UCSD could be ok).   

We got a little shaky from about 8:30 to 3:30 when we sat on the ball and settled for forced shots.  But overall we passed a little better (still a long way to go) and for the first time in 3.5 games, we actually put the ball in the basket when we used our athleticism to get shots up inside of 6 feet.  Defensively we again were fantastic on the perimeter (they shot 3-22, with nearly every shot contested, and we battled a little better on the defensive glass (though they started getting a lot after had established a 15 point seconf half lead and the game got a little frenetic). 

Hope we can keep this up tomorrow.  Still need to focus on generating open shots, not just making contested ones in traffic, because I don’t know how easily repeatable what we did today will be.  Hopefully the confidence comes back.

11/22/2021 4:33 pm  #89

Kudos to Bishop for knocking down both ends of the one and one late in the second half.   Kid doesn't seem to mind shooting under pressure.   Freeman knocked down both his free throws at the end also.   Nice for a frosh to be able to do that.      Also, second half was another good piece of evidence in arguing Dean over Brown at the five,   Hunter Dean does appear to be a legitimate rebounding force, so long as he stays out of foul trouble, especially ticky tac fouls 35 feet away from the basket.  (None today, however).    And he can't do it on his own.  

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (11/22/2021 6:29 pm)

11/22/2021 4:52 pm  #90

We played better today overall and for about the first 30 minutes looked like we had some better ball movement. 

The thing we need to first and foremost fix is the defensive rebounding. We gave up 16 offensive rebounds which is around our average for the season. That is unsustainable most nights and it is demoralizing when you are actually guarding to do all that work and then give up a put back.

That and we need to shoot it better. If we can cut the offensive rebounds down to around less than 10 per game and we shoot it a little better but maintain our defense, we can flip this thing. But those are some big ifs right now.

11/22/2021 5:47 pm  #91

As per the GW official site, the Kent St game will be at 5:30pm Eastern on Tuesday. Again available to stream on FloSports (or better pirate sites).

11/22/2021 6:04 pm  #92

Fantastic win.

Very strong games from JoeBam, Bishop, Lindo.  More really good minutes from Freshman Brayon, and the return of Dean made a big difference on a super thin frontcourt.

Wright St is a solid team, this is was a really good win 

11/22/2021 6:18 pm  #93

Great to see a win for the good guys!  Looking forward to another one tomorrow

11/22/2021 6:19 pm  #94

Lived in Dayton in the early 80s. Left before UD joined the A10. Couple friends of mine loved college BB. They went with me to see A10 tourneys at Rutgers and West Virginia.  Old saying about Wright State, "Wright State, wrong country". Wright Patterson AFB has a tremendous museum. Fantastic collection of aircraft. Pretty clean city but it lost a lot of industry in late 70's and 80's. 
Nice to win a game. 

11/22/2021 6:36 pm  #95

Hey, baby steps.   Although there was still a very low 12 assists on 29 made baskets, there were only 10 turnovers, so at least we were on the right side of the assist/turnover ratio.  Also, although the offensive rebounds given up were high (16), we did get 12 ourselves, and were only outrebounded by 2 for the game.  Seeing more and more glimpses of the Bishop who I think is a fabulous player, from Friday's second half and all game today.  Still perplexed at Harris being unable to get into the game.  

11/22/2021 6:41 pm  #96

I didn't watch the game, but Adams probably shouldn't be taking 7 3P attempts.

11/22/2021 7:11 pm  #97

Saw the first half and last 4 min of game.  While watching Wright State, I didn't understand how they were 8 point favorites, even considering our very poor recent performances.  On the other hand, while watching our physical and talent advantage, I couldn't understand how we were not running away from them.  A lot of head scratching going on!  I can only surmise coaching is the issue.

Happy to see Hunter Dean back and making a difference.  Look forward to Noel's improvement.  Saw too may air balls on 3s and would like to see Amir play more.

Onward to play Kent State.

11/22/2021 8:26 pm  #98

MG14 wrote:

Hope Ricky is alright. Looks like he got a little knocked up in the final minute.

Congrats to Ricky!  When is he due??  Sorry, sorry, I couldn't help myself

Board footera