GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2022 11:55 am  #141

Re: GW vs VCU Game Thread

It would surprise me if Becker leaves UVM for GW and not a bigger school like Pitt. He may even choose UMass over GW if/when they can McCall if jumping to the ACC is too big a jump.

Would he go against his mentor ML to come to GW?

1/12/2022 12:22 pm  #142

Since BM posted his insightful comment, looked up Becker very quickly. Knew he was a good and respected coach, but his overall record is exceptional and his league (not our level as we have learned from our current situation, but better than the NEC) record is phenomenal.
"He has taken Vermont to seven out of the last 10 America East Championship games. He owns a career record of [b]229-96 and holds a 131-27[/b] mark in America East play at Vermont. His five national postseason tournament wins are a program and America East coaching record. In the last four seasons, his Catamounts have posted the three highest single-season win totals in school history – 29 victories in 2016-17, 27 wins in 2017-18 and 2018-19, and 26 in 2019-20. He is one of three coaches to register 20 wins in each of his first nine seasons at a single school...."
      One reason we were attracted to JC was his league record, in terms of making the tournament, anyway. But we have painfully learned three years in a row this was with the luxury of ignoring OOC record, not an option for us if we want postseason play sometime before the Tricentennial.
  Becker, though, has been around for a long time, working under ML in addition to looks like 9 years of head coaching. Lonergan saluted his Xs and Os ability (perhaps would hire him just for that in our case we are so bereft in that area).

Becker's leap of faith pays off at Vermont - Men's College Basketball Blog- ESPN
        As to whether he would feel he is not being loyal to ML, have no inside info, but wasn't there something about JC getting ML's blessing to take the job? Not sure that was an important factor in his decision, but JC's spending time with Lonergan and taking a picture, is my soft spot for JC.
    If Becker comes and ML is taken out from the cold and rightfully back into our (currently revisionist) basketball history, that would help heal this broken-spirited program. Not a reason for his hiring, but an added perhaps not so small bonus to Becker's solid qualifications.

1/12/2022 12:43 pm  #143

Put me in the (small) camp that I think the school goes ahead and buys out the last year of JC’s contract.  I don’t think it’s about the stats or W-L record, it is just painfully obvious that this isn’t going to work, not this year, next year, or the one after.  Everything is broken.

We do like to tell ourselves that GW is broke, or the athletic department is broke.  I am not sure that is entirely true.  Any team in the A10 is getting some money from broadcast contracts, ticket sales. and from other teams NCAA appearances etc.  TV will have to walk into the President’s office at the end of the season and say that she believes it’s time to rip the band aid off and move on.  This new Interim President probably has GW basketball as the last thing on his mind.  But if she makes a good case for it, then he might just begrudgingly tell her to pay him out and move on.  Sometimes things just don’t work, and it is obvious.  

Last edited by Deleo (1/12/2022 12:46 pm)

1/12/2022 1:19 pm  #144

You can't have a better thread to show the general ignorance of the GW fan. We may not be very good in basketball right now but we are far worse when it comes to knowledge about GW, its limitations, and its finances. 

FWIW Becker declined the opportunity to interview with GW following Mojo's departure. 

1/12/2022 1:22 pm  #145

If we all only had Rising's inside knowledge.

1/12/2022 1:26 pm  #146

BC wrote:

If only people would stop talking out of their ass here. Generally, if I don't know something I tend to keep my mouth shut before pontificating. Just a thought.

Last edited by GWRising (1/12/2022 1:30 pm)

1/12/2022 2:14 pm  #147

Notwithstanding Rising's long-held propensity to insult as many people as possible in as few words as possible, Becker should still be at the top of our list.  Chances probably go up if the new administration cleans house and dedicates resources to a department that can actually pay for itself in increased applications.

If I walked away every time someone declined the opportunity for a chat, my hot wife would be with some other schmuck.

1/12/2022 2:46 pm  #148

I'm not surprised that GW reached out to Becker; he's a great coach that would be on or near the top of a lot of school's wishlists.  

1/12/2022 2:53 pm  #149

GWRising wrote:

BC wrote:

If only people would stop talking out of their ass here. Generally, if I don't know something I tend to keep my mouth shut before pontificating. Just a thought.

This is a surprising response, even for you Rising.  I'll preface this by saying that I try very hard not to get involved with these "who will our next coach be" discussions while the job is presently occupied.  I find it extremely disrespectful to JC but have learned over the years that I am obviously in the minority on this one.

That said, your response would be better suited to the individual who wrote that John Becker would definitely take the GW job if it were offered or that Becker wants to come here.  The problem is that nobody said this.  All I can see was people speculating that he would make a great choice for GW.

I'd also add that while Becker turning down an interview nearly three years ago is likely pertinent, people can change their minds.  Am not suggesting that would be the case here but it's not impossible.

You should feel fortunate that you have the connections to the program that you have.  At the same time, I'm unconvinced this gives you the right to insult those who do not.   

1/12/2022 3:12 pm  #150

RealtimeRPI - 318
Kenpom - 278

We are now officially in the company of NC Central and Savannah State.

I stopped watching GW games long ago. The way I find out the results is I come to this site and the game thread, quickly scroll through the posts and if dude has not posted during the game, I know we won. If dude is up to his usual non-stop posts about Bishop being a Wooden Award winner, I know we won. Needless to say, dude has been as quiet as a church mouse the last couple years.

JC is not going anywhere until his contract runs out. Do you seriously think GW will buy him out? We are talking about the school who chose to back Nero over Lonergan despite Lonergan's attorney's giving them the Nero dirt on a silver platter. Even after Nero was exposed by DeadSpin, our brilliant administration let Nero out the back door with a $1.3 million check so he wouldn't share the dirty laundry. Not happening boys so strap in for the next 2 years of the same old shit.

Becker wouldn't touch this dumpster fire with a 10 foot pole. Becker will have his share of P-5 teams. He knows all the juicy details (most of which we all have no idea) of what really took place because his mentor is ML. We are now and have been in a position where we have to take a flyer on some young and unproven coach - it's kind of like playing the lottery. We may get lucky, but probably not. Send your thank you notes to Forrest Maltzman, who is still at GW because it's the only place where he can get a job after his grand performance as provost.
Raise High my friends!

1/12/2022 3:14 pm  #151

no posts by dude - I know we lost
Just wanted to clarify before the site stalker jumps in.

1/12/2022 3:16 pm  #152

How dare anyone ever speculate! If Barry can please ban all theorizing, speculation, or conjecture - and while he's at it, editorializing, we can all have more fun! We can read each other stat lines and respond uniformly with, "Indeed. This is fact." 

GWRising, as much as I honestly, truly appreciate your insights, it's hard to blame fans for speculating, especially when the inner-workings can be such a black box (as they probably are with most programs). The speculation is sort of inseparable from the fandom itself! If its too painful to bear, just remember if you know otherwise, you probably know better! Protect your gentle heart!

1/12/2022 4:01 pm  #153

The ignorance of the GW fan is not the issue.   The issue is we have been in a downward spiral for 6 seasons  with no end in site.   As ignorant as we may be, we can recognize bullshit when we hear it and are still bright enough to see that things are not getting better and that it is probably time for a change.    We are losing to teams we have no business losing to and generally not competitive in most other games except against those of the lower ranked schools  For the season, we are shooting 40.8 percent from the field and a dismal 29.5% from the three.  We have 2 players that are shooting 50% or better from the field for the season...  Knapp at 50% (2-4) and Miles Galley, who is a perfect 1-1 on the season.   Over the season, we have 36 more turnovers than assists and are scoring 64 points a game.   We don't rebound or box out, and are constantly beaten to the hoop by opponents both on offense and defense and always seem to be out of position.  The center position is a joke and the point guard play is not much better.   My guess is that very few teams give up more runs of 10 points or better by the opponant than we do.  Using simply an eye test, we are a disorganized mess on both sides of the ball.  At times, it looks like every man for himself.   The opponents game plan against us always appears superior to ours.  Further, we have players transferring out at an alarming rate.   I know about relaxed rules having lead to record numbers of transfers, but GW is near the top on players lost.   Yes, many, many dumb things are said on this board, and I am one of the offenders; but one thing that is fact rather than conjecture is that under Christian, we are 21-42.  Likewise, there is no disputing the attendance numbers at the Smith Center in games in which fans were permitted to attend.  So, please don't get angry with us for tiring of excuses and demanding changes.  We love the Colonials and having to endure this for as long as we have is very painful.   I know your position with the university may prevent you from answering this question, GWRising, but if you are able to do so, can you honestly say you are satisfied with Coach Christian, either in recruiting or during the season?   

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/12/2022 4:55 pm)

1/12/2022 4:05 pm  #154

We may have to lose TV and change the hearts of the admin before we get better coaches.  Though I like the direction the new woman's coach seems to be heading.   Are there any studies that show better sports programs bring a better student and bigger donations.  It seems like a no-brainer to me but I have no proof.  I'm too lazy to do my own research.

1/12/2022 4:46 pm  #155

There is a clear solution to all of this.

We need to install the Long Suffering Fan as Coach. today.  no further delays.

Instead of 20 negative comments, 7 minute into the game on a thread for 30 years in a row, we need his decades of expertise directing the team on the court! 

He could turn this picked 13th out of 14 teams into an instant contender, what are we waiting for??

1/12/2022 5:27 pm  #156

First of all let's all calm down. I wasn't referring at all to the basketball discussion here as to whether the team has played well, whether JC has shown the requisite progress, etc. I might have some thoughts on that but that was not at all the discussion I was referring to. And no LSF, I am not a GW employee nor have I ever been.

Putting aside the unseemly willingness of folks to hide behind screen names to discuss successors to JC just 14 games into his third season, I am actually referring to the discussion of replacements, the money GW does or does not have, the amount of donations necessary, the GW place in college athletics and who might be interested in coaching here if and when the job were to open. This isn't fantasy basketball and some of you need to bring yourself up to speed on these issues before you start throwing courses of action around. There aren't unlimited resources to dispose of coaches or hire their replacements nor do some (perhaps many) on the current Board care about athletics in any significant way. This is 100% the wrong school right now if you have delusions of a big-time program or even one that is consistently in the top 100 nationally. The investment while never great has not kept up with the times and has fallen farther behind. The fan support and donor support for athletics is pitiful. Just because it happened under Jarvis, Hobbs or Lonergan, does not mean it will or can happen now. It's easy to sit here and pontificate that GW should do this or that. But unless you are personally willing to underwrite the costs for a replacement you should probably take a seat at this juncture. 

Last edited by GWRising (1/12/2022 5:30 pm)

1/12/2022 5:41 pm  #157

As for the basketball discussion ...

I once saw a great sign in a gymnasium (and it applies here to some) ...

HELP WANTED

Our basketball team should have a man who plays every position, never makes an error, and knows just what the opposition is planning and the strategy to counteract it .... but so far there's been no way to get him to put down his coke and popcorn and come down from the stands!

1/12/2022 5:55 pm  #158

GWRising, to be fair, this isn't what you reacted to.  You reacted to the discussion about John Becker.  You even went so far as to say that Becker turned down an interview request once MoJo had been released.  Maybe your reaction was a pent-up one covering all of the discussions here that bother you.  But it came across as "stop speculating about Becker because he's not coming" and worse, your attitude seemed to suggest that we all ought to know what you know if we're going to participate on a message board.  It came across, at least to me, as condescending and uncalled for.

Regarding your last post, give me a break.  Nobody is suggesting that we ought to be an NCAA team right now.  At this point, we are trying to crawl our way back to respectability.  So if that's the goal, and we suffer consecutive blowouts in conference games after going 4-8 in an OOC schedule where we should have performed far better, yeah, I get it.  You're going to hear many valid criticisms, and rightfully so.

1/12/2022 6:08 pm  #159

"You can't have a better thread to show the general ignorance of the GW fan. We may not be very good in basketball right now but we are far worse when it comes to knowledge about GW, its limitations, and its finances. "

Gwmayhem, I referred to the general thread and not a specific post. I think that is clear from the above. I threw in the Becker reference as a secondary note just to let people here again understand that like Joel Joseph posted above, he likely isn't coming here (I have learned to never say never)..It wasn't the Becker reference that caused me to respond. I just laughed at that knowing what transpired before. It's the general tenor here that "if only the idiots at GW knew what I know ..." it would be simple to replace JC. 

Last edited by GWRising (1/12/2022 6:23 pm)

1/12/2022 6:37 pm  #160

Mayhem, I agree with 995 of what you say but on the Becker topic, I'm with Rising.
ML took a chance on Becker who didn't exactly light it up at Galludet - not sure of the spelling. Becker probably knows every small detail of that train wreck from almost 6 years ago (not surprising we are still talking about it almost 6 years later). I would bet dude's paycheck (when he had one) that Becker would not even consider GW.

Board footera