GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2022 2:51 pm  #121

Re: GW vs Rhode Island Game Thread

Yeah boys!!!!

Eat it, Rhode Island. 

I’m in shock at how we won that.  URI must have relaxed after the 18-3 start and we didn’t give up, and took advantage of their mistakes. 

Shout to Hunter Dean.  Game of his life!

1/22/2022 2:51 pm  #122

Speechless, really. That was supposed to be a blowout loss. Definitely learned some things today. The bench is deeper than we thought. Dean can be a factor. Bamisile and Bishop do not have to carry the team. Our halfcourt help defense was stellar. And there was strategy: fouling the post and lots of ball pressure. Wow.

Last edited by Mentzinger (1/22/2022 2:52 pm)

1/22/2022 2:52 pm  #123

Hail to the Buff! Hail to the Blue!!!!
But for the first 10 mins of the game, that was a good performance. Great game from Dean (and after he played a good 2nd half at St Joe´s on Wednesday).
Folks here need to recognize that, at least today, JC changed up the gameplan during the game and it made a difference.

1/22/2022 2:53 pm  #124

Really liked how the bench performed. Energy, spirit, and OMG rebounding. Best win in years! Amazing.

1/22/2022 2:55 pm  #125

Amazing win for the boys!  Hopefully we get Lindo back and then we'll really be cooking with gas.

1/22/2022 2:55 pm  #126

Have to give JC and staff credit when deserved .  Hard to believe  they held it together after that start. They showed a lot today. Maybe something good brewing?

1/22/2022 2:57 pm  #127

Looks like everyone is having a good time in the locker room:https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1484978611782365191

Last edited by GW0509 (1/22/2022 2:58 pm)

1/22/2022 2:58 pm  #128

Will elaborate later.
But may well have been our best coached game ever in the last 30 or so minutes,including not only the coach making the most of  a tough physical matchup, but also someone new in his ear, helping.
And only possible with Hunter Dean playing out of his mind,despite a twin towers challenge and questionable calls.

1/22/2022 2:59 pm  #129

What a terrific win. I've been quick to criticize Dean on here, but he was the best player on the floor today and I'm glad he shut me up.

Side note: I am at the women's game and Ricky Lindo is here and was watching the game on his phone, In his typical fashion, he didn't show much of a reaction when they pulled it out

1/22/2022 3:01 pm  #130

Great work!!!!

1/22/2022 3:01 pm  #131

GW0509 wrote:

Looks like everyone is having a good time in the locker room:https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1484978611782365191

Absolutely awesome.  Tell me these guys don't play for each other. 

Look at the pure joy in that locker room.  Fantastic

1/22/2022 3:04 pm  #132

We won in the clutch. Wonderful ending, and it was done against a good team on their home court in front of a national audience. Best win in years. 

1/22/2022 3:06 pm  #133

Rhode Island had an NET of 98 so count this as a Quad 2 win for us!

Last edited by GW0509 (1/22/2022 3:08 pm)

1/22/2022 3:10 pm  #134

KenPom was 84, about 200 spots ahead of us.  On the road, that is a titanic upset. 

Someone noted above, odds were 1.8%

Hunter Dean A10 player of the week? I am only half kidding.  

1/22/2022 3:16 pm  #135

I have to admit that appeared (from my couch) to be the best coached game of the JC era. Adjustments made. The game plan worked, especially in the second half where we are so often beaten down. Kudos to the coaching staff on this. Well done. And it was awesome to see the players looking like they were playing within a system and knew their roles. It all just seemed to click today. I had asked after the VCU game if someone could point me toward any signs of progress. It's one game today, but I'm hoping today was my sign.

1/22/2022 3:26 pm  #136

Great comeback win! Keep hope alive!

But I beg to differ that this was JC's best coached game. It just worked out because we executed and URI shot terribly at the foul line. Some of you are so outcome determinative it isn't funny. We win  - great coaching job. We lose - terrible coaching job. Let me ask you this if JC coached exactly the same way but URI hit 3 more free throws do you really believe anyone would be here praising the coach?

JC is the same guy all the time. He can coach. The key is whether he gets execution for his sets and whether we guard and rebound. Good players make coaches look smart! Today they made him look smart. This past Wednesday, not so much.

That said, props to Hunter Dean. This Hunter Dean we can work with. Hopefully this is the building block for him to be a guy who can regularly give 8-12 points per game and 7-10 rebounds.

Also, as an aside, couldn't be happier that the Mitchell twins tanked the game at line. Don't usually root against any kids but if you know some of their history that was justice! 

1/22/2022 3:40 pm  #137

Not so Rising-if we had lost by a few points I still would have said well coached game.Most of the season 
it has been terrible coaching.Your post was totally predictable.When they win it’s the coach-when they
lose its poor execution by the kids.Just take the win.Great intensity by the team.Props to Dean.

1/22/2022 3:47 pm  #138

As rough as this season, JC has now done something for a second time that MoJo never accomplished - beat a top 100 team on the road!

1/22/2022 3:59 pm  #139

Much needed win. Dean showed he can actually play. Helps when home team misses 16 FT’s and goes 2-19 from 3. Team showed toughness at the end .

1/22/2022 4:13 pm  #140

URI’s worst loss (per KenPom) in 10 years.   Nelson Muntz says “Ha ha”

Board footera