GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2019 2:29 pm  #1

9/20/2019 4:09 pm  #2

Re: Noel Brown

Is it just me or does the Landon team Brown is playing against in above summer league game look like a bunch of 8th graders?

9/20/2019 4:18 pm  #3

Joel has a point, but keep an eye on the kid hitting the 3 pointers for 2025 recruitment.

9/20/2019 6:18 pm  #4

Where is it being reported that GW signed this kid?  Haven;t seen anything.

9/20/2019 7:16 pm  #5

I’ve seen no word in the press. Frankly I LOVE it because under the radar after the garbage last several years is what I want. PROVE IT. Play with a brain for each other. Forget the fans, social media family.

9/21/2019 7:28 am  #6

I heard about this for the first time yesterday too, searched twitter and wondered why I didn't see it anywhere on twitter, and eventually found out that he committed to GW about 2 weeks ago!! It was posted in the recruits section here, but a number of us missed it. In the future when a recruit signs or commits to GW, we should probably start a new thread here so people don't miss it.

Noel Brown attends Flint Hill in Virginia, last year he played with a top 100 Center who is now a freshman at Georgetown, he should have every opportunity to have a big SR year now that he'll be Flint Hill's main post player. Down below is his recruit thread and his Instagram post announcing his decision

https://gwhoops.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=105  

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2H3UByHOFK 

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/noel-brown 

9/21/2019 1:13 pm  #7

Yep, good spot Thomas.
Good links!  Thoughts?  My first reaction was ...I am impressed! 

9/21/2019 1:14 pm  #8

Side note, does anyone seem a resemblance to Jonquel Jones facially?
They could be siblings, the physical resemblance is uncanny1

3/24/2023 11:33 am  #9

Noel entered the portal, per Verbal Commits.

3/24/2023 11:35 am  #10

3/24/2023 11:41 am  #11

Not surprising. Wish him all the best.

Even if we bring Dean back Caputo is going to need to bring in 3 bigs in the off-season

3/24/2023 11:54 am  #12

As it stands, our current roster is:
Edwards
Harvey

That's it, that's the list.

I feel for Brown.  Definitely misused the first two years under Christian and didn't really get the type of development needed for someone who I think only picked up basketball his junior year of high school.  He had some flashes but more often than not he was thinking way too much out there (kind of like freshman year Mezie) which resulted in too many offensive charges and travels. 

I was hoping he'd stick around as an end of the bench big but I wish him nothing but the best in finding the right place to finish off his college career.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/24/2023 12:16 pm)

3/24/2023 12:13 pm  #13

I agree with Brown thinking too much on the court.  He was far too mechanical and seemed to lack good instincts on the court.  Based upon my limited contact with him, he seems like a super nice kid who would be better suited at a school such as American.    Best of luck to him.

3/24/2023 12:28 pm  #14

GW0509 wrote:

As it stands, our current roster is:
Edwards
Harvey

That's it, that's the list.

I feel for Brown.  Definitely misused the first two years under Christian and didn't really get the type of development needed for someone who I think only picked up basketball his junior year of high school.  He had some flashes but more often than not he was thinking way too much out there (kind of like freshman year Mezie) which resulted in too many offensive charges and travels. 

I was hoping he'd stick around as an end of the bench big but I wish him nothing but the best in finding the right place to finish off his college career.

I wouldn't worry too much about the current roster on March 24th. If it's May 24th and we still have Edwards and Harvey plus three freshmen then I would be worried. That's not going to be case. Sometimes you have to find volunteers and not hostages. I believe that is the process that CC is going through now. Bishop and Dean are two key decision points but there are other things happening. Trust the process.

3/24/2023 12:39 pm  #15

GWRising wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about the current roster on March 24th. If it's May 24th and we still have Edwards and Harvey plus three freshmen then I would be worried.

Not worried in the slightest.  Just not every day you see a roster with only two scholarship players on it.  If anything, I'd imagine CC is somewhat excited to have basically carte blanche to construct a roster as he sees fit.  I'm sure Lonergan would've also wished for that type of flexibility in his first full offseason.  

3/24/2023 12:42 pm  #16

05/09 had it right. We wasted 2 years and his development as a big man. This year was just tough, he could
have played some more--and perhaps should have. But Hunter was on a tear and we had Ricky.
Always wondered if a few minutes of Noel and Hunter would have helped our rebounding woes at times, even at the cost of mobility, etc.
  In any case, Noel took on challenges whenever called upon, and certainly made a difference at times, including this year.
   Thanks to him for that and best of luck if he decides to stay in the portal.
We truly need big (and bigger Forward types) men.
Imagine CC and whatever assistants are still working hard for GW are on the case. Could use a little Miami
recruiting magic.

3/24/2023 12:56 pm  #17

Brown seemed like really nice kid. He never really could stay on the floor and contribute. It's time for CC to bring in some real players who can compete in the A10. Actually the loss of Samuels and Brown are a real positives and will open the door to success.

3/24/2023 1:05 pm  #18

I don't think the bleeding has stopped. I think Max will see brighter opportunities at bigger programs and not want to waste his last 3 years on the perpetual "rebuild" of GW basketball now entering it's 8th year.

Bishop and Dean are still a question mark but we can't consistently win with Bishop, Dean and freshman.

CC needs to earn his salary and use the portal to get the right pieces to fit his system and compliment the players we have left and incoming come September.

3/24/2023 1:31 pm  #19

As a role player coming off the bench, you'd like to see your minutes go up and not down as your college career winds down.  Noel and Qwanzi each played out of necessity this past season.  It stands to reason that their minutes would go down next season as CC and staff bring in what we presume will be more productive players.  Am hopeful that each will find both happiness and playing time at their next stops.  Both were good soldiers under some challenging circumstances while at GW.  

3/24/2023 1:39 pm  #20

"The bleeding" lol.  The three players who've entered the portal combined for 6 PPG and that's inflated because Nixon scored 2 points in the 1 game he played in before he got surgery.

It's extremely unlikely Max leaves.  Not only has he said he's "just getting started" at GW, but he's also got his high school classmate Christian Jones coming in and they're posting Instagram reels of workouts together at OSL. He seems extremely close to Caputo and the rest of the staff.  Now if he blows up again next year and gets offered $700k by John Ruiz then there's not much we can do about that.

Finally, kids don't give a shit about what year the GW "rebuild" is in.  Kim English was getting 4* kids and high major transfers to commit to Mason and they were on year 10 of their own rebuild.  At least GW can point to an NCAA tournament birth within the last decade.  The A10 is probably going to be extremely weak next season so if CC plays the portal right, there's no reason why we can't challenge for a double bye.  

Last edited by GW0509 (3/24/2023 2:23 pm)

Board footera