GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2022 4:31 pm  #41

Re: A10 tourney and seeding

Excellent point. Seemed pretty clear just from experience and memory.
Thanks, GWMayhem for actually doing the math. Whatever the exact percentage is, it proves
the point.

3/01/2022 4:52 pm  #42

Gwmayhem wrote:

If I've done the math right, 9 ncaa's in 26 years under Jarvis, Penders, Hobbs and Lonergan, or about 1/3 of the time.  Add in 5 NIT appearances over that period and you have an NCAA or NIT appearance in slightly above 50% of the seasons over this period.  Am pretty sure this is what should be considered our aspirational goals, and it's certainly not a wild-ass hope for this program after considering that this program has already accomplished this in the past.

Gwmayhem I think you would have to acknowledge that it's a little misleading to say a third of the time when 8 of those 9 appearances occurred between 1993 and 2007, meaning that it is one time in the last 9 years of Hobbs and Lonergan and once in the last 15 years.. 

While undoubtedly that is and should be the goal for GW and JC, other than Jarvis, no one had qualified for an NCAA tournament 75 games into their tenure. So to suggest that that is or should be the standard for this year's team (I know you weren't the one suggesting it) is unadulterated foolishness.

Last edited by GWRising (3/01/2022 4:53 pm)

3/01/2022 5:23 pm  #43

GWRising, I don't think it was suggested to be the standard (expectation) as it was to be the goal.  While what you wrote was true (though Lonergan's 2 NIT appearances should also be included since JF mentioned both the NCAA and the NIT) , what's also true is that Hobbs and Lonergan both brought abilities to lead this program into the postseason, something that we have not witnessed since.  In other words, along with Jarvis (sorry but I'm not counting Penders here despite his factually leading Jarvis's players to a Dance), loyal fans of this program have seen that competitively battling for real postseason basketball appearances (am looking at you CBI) can be done. 

I am assuming that you've followed the team on the road at NCAA and NIT games.  If so, you know how much fun that is.  While we are not entitled to make these tournaments annually, the reality is that we are going on 6 years of having that really fun experience taken away from us.  I used to make a joke when cable tv was in its infancy that cable was a lot like sex...once you've had it, it should never, ever be taken away from you.  Let's add road trips to GW postseason appearances to that group. 
cable tv was like sex...once you've had it 

3/01/2022 6:18 pm  #44

Nobody said it wasn't fun or we are not supposed to be playing for that. But when you've gone once in the last 15 years to coin the song from The Righteous Brothers (played in  the movie Top Gun) .. "You've Lost that Lovin" Feelin". Time to get it again but let's not act like anyone under about 30 has any recollection of it.

3/02/2022 2:31 am  #45

GWRising wrote:

jf wrote:

Doesn't really matter where we finish as long as we get to the NCAAs or NIT with some regularity, as we
did under Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan.
   Barring a very miracle A-10 run to win the tournament, that is not going to happen this year.

Uh hello ...We've made the NCAA tournament exactly one time in the last 15 years under 4 different coaches. Are you sure you aren't on the wrong message board?.

And in the 15 years before that, we made the tourney 8 times. More than half. 

If you don’t believe we can ever get back to that level, you are not on the right message board.  Frankly, if you are really an insider, it’s kind of depressing to think that people close to the program would be so dismissive of our ability to compete for NCAA bids on a semi-regular basis. 

As far as I’m concerned, you can throw out the self-inflicted disaster of the last 6 years - because the entire point of I think all our fans is to get back to where we were before (at least that should be the goal of everyone involved in GW basketball).

And in the 24 years before the self-inflicted misery of the last 6 years, we managed to make 9 NCAA tourneys and 6 NITs.   

Thats 15 real postseason appearances in 24 years.  If you allow for the fact it’s harder now to make the NIT than it used to be (because it was cut to 32 teams with several taken by auto-bids), then I think a fair goal would be to average a NCAA or NIT berth every other year.

That is where we were before Patrick Nero, Tanya Vogel, and the administration tanked our program, and we ought to strive to get back there - and anyone who condescendingly uses snark to dismiss those who believe we should be able achieve that level ought to be nowhere near our basketball program.

And to be clear, I understand the line between making and missing the tourney can be luck (like in I think in 95 when we had two top 5 wins but missed the tourney because the committee chose that year and that year alone to reward no bad losses over huge wins, or in 2016 when we were easily good enough but had too many off-court distractions that worked against us, or in 07 when the A10 was having a down year and we won the tourney but otherwise prob wouldn’t have even made the NIT).   I don’t expect us to be in the tourney every year or even every other year.  I just think we ought to be able to get back to the point where are a top 100 team most years, and when things break right make the tourney and when things don’t, maybe we make the NiT or at least come close.

I mean we were at that point in 14, 15, 16 when we made the NCAAs, won a road game in the NIT over an ACC team, and then won the NIT.  3 postseasons in 3 years, and well on our way to being the kind of team that was consistently in the top 100, making the NCAA once or twice every 4 years, and making the NIt once or twice in the same span. 

So please don’t be so condescendingly dismissive of fans who have memories that go back longer than 6 years because this program was, and will again be, much better than the pathetically low standard GW Rising seems to aspire to while condescending to this who think we should be able to do better.

Last edited by Free Quebec (3/02/2022 2:37 am)

3/02/2022 2:44 am  #46

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

It would be nice if some day we can again talk about magic numbers for finishing in the top 4 rather than the 7, 8 or 9 seed.   

Yep.  But it’s been a few years and for me right now, hoping for a top half finish is something to root for when there’s been virtually nothing for the last 6 years.

We can talk more about what this season portends in the off-season (I’m skeptical that is being 7-8 rather than, say 5-9 and fighting for a bye, is more than statistical noise), but for now if people don’t really care about where we finish in the middle of the pack, then probably not worth reading this thread. 

By the way, great wins for the conference tonight with Dayton getting a Q2 win on the road at Richmond and VCU beating the Bonnies.  Might be too late for both these teams, but still the best results the league could hope for. (though I’m guessing someone other than Davidson wins the tourney and makes the dance).  Now we really need Davidson to beat GMU tomorrow.

3/02/2022 8:23 am  #47

With UMASS firing their coach now (or announcing now that he’ll be gone at season’s end), that doesn’t bode well for their game against Fordham.

If Fordham beats UMASS tonight and us this weekend, they will finish 9-9. (Without a single win over a team with a winning record, like us)

If George Mason loses to Davidson and beats UMASS, they would finish 8-8. 

But because Fordham beat Mason H2H, Fordham would be the 7 seed and we would have to play Mason in the first round (unless the A10 does something screwy like consider 8-8 better than 9-9 because fewer losses).

We really need Fordham to take another L so we can play them next week instead of Mason.

3/02/2022 8:52 am  #48

Free Quebec wrote:

it’s kind of depressing to think that people close to the program would be so dismissive of our ability to compete for NCAA bids on a semi-regular basis.
That is where we were before Patrick Nero, Tanya Vogel, and the administration tanked our program, and we ought to strive to get back there - and anyone who condescendingly uses snark to dismiss those who believe we should be able achieve that level ought to be nowhere near our basketball program.
So please don’t be so condescendingly dismissive of fans who have memories that go back longer than 6 years because this program was, and will again be, much better than the pathetically low standard GW Rising seems to aspire to while condescending to this who think we should be able to do better.

100%

3/02/2022 9:25 am  #49

Really well stated FQ.

GWRising, as painful as this will likely be for you to read, your stance reminds me of the foolishness that The Dude tries to peddle here.  I think you need to start giving credit here to most posters.  Most, I believe, are content with the way the conference season has gone.  Even if the result ends up being an 8-9 record and a #9 seed (and I am also not conceding Saturday's game, but we had best take care of business tonight).  Please notice I said content and not ecstatic.  This finish gives fans genuine hope for the future.  This conference season represented progress.  It has been hard to make that statement ever since we cut down the nets at MSG.

Nobody here was anticipating an NCAA or NIT appearance this season.  Based on this year, I would hope that GW could be in the running for a top 6 finish next season.  I'd say that's realistic.  Most here recognize that this program wasn't going to skyrocket from near the bottom of the conference to near the top in 1 or 2 seasons.  

Your stance seems to suggest that even the most modest improvement should be a cause for celebration.  Because one feels that it shouldn't doesn't mean that anyone has it out for the coach or for that matter, doesn't want the coach to wildly succeed.  

I'll also address FQ's question regarding statistical noise.  No, I think that competing in the A10 for a 7-9 seed is far more impressive than battling to stay out of the pillow fight.  As of today, we are 6-1 against teams who we are ahead of in the standings, with Duquesne and Fordham to go.  We were considered underdogs in that one loss so it's not like this can be considered a terrible loss.  What this says to me is that by no metric is GW one of the worst teams in the A10 this season, and this is a change from recent seasons.  We have done a good job of beating the teams we are superior to, and for the most part, have just not been good enough (or are perhaps too flawed) to successfully compete with those where we are inferior.  I think this illustrates in a very cut and dried way that this conference season has seen a distinct improvement over our recent past.

3/02/2022 9:35 am  #50

Free Quebec wrote:

GWRising wrote:

jf wrote:

Doesn't really matter where we finish as long as we get to the NCAAs or NIT with some regularity, as we
   Barring a very miracle A-10 run to win the tournament, that is not going to happen this year.

Uh hello ...We've made the NCAA tournament exactly one time in the last 15 years under 4 different coaches. Are you sure you aren't on the wrong message board?.

If you don’t believe we can ever get back to that level, you are not on the right message board. Frankly, if you are really an insider, it’s kind of depressing to think that people close to the program would be so dismissive of our ability to compete for NCAA bids on a semi-regular basis.

As far as I’m concerned, you can throw out the self-inflicted disaster of the last 6 years - because the entire point of I think all our fans is to get back to where we were before (at least that should be the goal of everyone involved in GW basketball).

And in the 24 years before the self-inflicted misery of the last 6 years, we managed to make 9 NCAA tourneys and 6 NITs.

Thats 15 real postseason appearances in 24 years. If you allow for the fact it’s harder now to make the NIT than it used to be (because it was cut to 32 teams with several taken by auto-bids), then I think a fair goal would be to average a NCAA or NIT berth every other year.

And to be clear, I understand the line between making and missing the tourney can be luck (like in I think in 95 when we had two top 5 wins but missed the tourney because the committee chose that year and that year alone to reward no bad losses over huge wins, or in 2016 when we were easily good enough but had too many off-court distractions that worked against us, or in 07 when the A10 was having a down year and we won the tourney but otherwise prob wouldn’t have even made the NIT). I don’t expect us to be in the tourney every year or even every other year. I just think we ought to be able to get back to the point where are a top 100 team most years, and when things break right make the tourney and when things don’t, maybe we make the NiT or at least come close.

I mean we were at that point in 14, 15, 16 when we made the NCAAs, won a road game in the NIT over an ACC team, and then won the NIT. 3 postseasons in 3 years, and well on our way to being the kind of team that was consistently in the top 100, making the NCAA once or twice every 4 years, and making the NIt once or twice in the same span.

It's really too bad you have a reading comprehension problem. Doesn't speak too well for that GW degree. At no time and at no place did I say we shouldn't be competing for NCAAs; If you think that I have a low standard of what this program should be, speak to any of the current or previous four coaches. They will laugh at you. 

Those were your words you so conveniently ascribed to me so you could make your typical straw man argument. To be clear, my argument was strictly aimed at jf's notion that this year represented a disappointment because we are not competing for a post-season berth particularly an NCAA berth when we've been to the NCAA tournament exactly one time in the last 15 years under 4 different coaches. You remind me of a friend I have who says well the Steelers used to dominate in the 1970s so I don't understand why they aren't doing the same now. Or to put it another way, the SEC warnings that prior results aren't predictive of future results applies here. This program was broken severely in September 2016 and we are now on Coach #2 trying to fix it. This isn't the same program that went to all those NCAAs partly because of self-inflicted wounds, partly because of relative resources, and partly because of a changing landscape in college basketball. That's not to say it can't be done, just that it became harder to do.

That said, I've been at every NCAA game and NIT game since 1993. I don't need a lecture from you as to what we were and what we can become. And a few cheap message board posts about how we should be competing for post-season doesn't accomplish anything towards making that happen. When you are ready to step-up and make sure we have the resources of most of the other teams in our conference, please let me know.  

Last edited by GWRising (3/02/2022 11:22 am)

3/02/2022 9:53 am  #51

Mentzinger wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

it’s kind of depressing to think that people close to the program would be so dismissive of our ability to compete for NCAA bids on a semi-regular basis.

100%

Absolutely.   I am getting a bit tired of being asked to lower my expectations or that things are on the rise.   I am a passionate fan because of a reasonable hope of success that Free and others have documented prior to the Nero/Vogel disasters.   This is why I support the team, not to financially help some teenagers attend one of the most expensive universities in the country, especially when an equal if not superior education is available to them at a much lower costs in a public university.  Frankly, I find charities such as "Make a Wish" or the Humane Society far better causes to donate to than George Washington University Inc.  Yes, finishing 500 in the conference and getting a 7 seed in the conference tourney may be nice, but we need realistic expectations to reach a higher level, specifically top 100 and semi-regular post season appearances.   Hearing that we are moving in the right direction and we should wait until next season, followed by the myriad of excuses (too many transfers out, injuries, Covid, new players learing  to play together...the list goes on and on) when next season falls flat yet again is tiring, as is watching us play meaningless games in a near empty arena with no real crowd enthusiasm.   In my 50 plus years of following the team, I would always get depressed at the end of the season, as the 8 months to the start of the next season always seemed like an eternity.  I would count down the days...Memorial Day we are a quarter of the way to the next season, followed by the 4th of July putting us half way there and Labor Day 3/4 of the way.   I appreciated college football and the NFL not because I love football (I don't), but it meant that college basketball was right around the corner.   I enjoyed nothing more in life (outside of family...sometimes) ) than being at the Smith Center attending the games.  Now this season, for the first time, I actually missed  home games, not because I couldn't go but I just did not feel like going, finding watching on TV more entertaining.  Let me end this rant by again giving a big F*CK YOU to Nero, for taking a viable, solid program and flushing it down the toilet.   Raise (not so) High!

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (3/02/2022 9:57 am)

3/02/2022 10:29 am  #52

LSF-Love your style and passion.Your post was fabulous.Great energy.

3/02/2022 1:29 pm  #53

Mentzinger wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

100%

I agree with FQ 100%

3/02/2022 2:25 pm  #54

Thank you GW 69

3/02/2022 2:32 pm  #55

Free Quebec wrote:

GWRising wrote:

jf wrote:

If you don’t believe we can ever get back to that level, you are not on the right message board. Frankly, if you are really an insider, it’s kind of depressing to think that people close to the program would be so dismissive of our ability to compete for NCAA bids on a semi-regular basis.

Thats 15 real postseason appearances in 24 years. If you allow for the fact it’s harder now to make the NIT than it used to be (because it was cut to 32 teams with several taken by auto-bids), then I think a fair goal would be to average a NCAA or NIT berth every other year.

And to be clear, I understand the line between making and missing the tourney can be luck (like in I think in 95 when we had two top 5 wins but missed the tourney because the committee chose that year and that year alone to reward no bad losses over huge wins, or in 2016 when we were easily good enough but had too many off-court distractions that worked against us, or in 07 when the A10 was having a down year and we won the tourney but otherwise prob wouldn’t have even made the NIT). I don’t expect us to be in the tourney every year or even every other year. I just think we ought to be able to get back to the point where are a top 100 team most years, and when things break right make the tourney and when things don’t, maybe we make the NiT or at least come close.

I mean we were at that point in 14, 15, 16 when we made the NCAAs, won a road game in the NIT over an ACC team, and then won the NIT. 3 postseasons in 3 years, and well on our way to being the kind of team that was consistently in the top 100, making the NCAA once or twice every 4 years, and making the NIt once or twice in the same span.

Brilliantly said by FQ, from pointing out the constant condescending to those who don't tow the official line that everything is just terrific--to stating where we should be as a program. 
   We know what GW has been and what it can--and should be.
And no one should be snidely criticized for wanting much better than the less than mediocrity we've seen in recent years.

3/02/2022 3:05 pm  #56

Well said FQ and others.
Rising, we are quickly approaching the end of another poor season and the 6th year of the Knapp/Maltzman/Nero disaster. The long time GW fans lost patience (and hope for some of us) long ago.
No more excuses like transfers, COVID, injuries, etc. The A-10 is down right now and there is no reason we continue to be in the bottom half of the league.
JC has been here for 3 years now, with 2 more to go. We don't have the money or the administrative support to fire him so we are stuck with him.
This was the year we were supposed to rise to the top half - and improvement is not losing every game to the top half of the league.
I'm afraid we will be hearing the same old excuses for the next 2 years.
Raise High (just a little bit!)

3/02/2022 3:30 pm  #57

Joel Joseph wrote:

This was the year we were supposed to rise to the top half

We’re a half game out of the top half and have a good chance if we win out.

So mission accomplished?

3/02/2022 4:03 pm  #58

Not to forget the women's program where we were Nationally ranked year after year. We knew we were in the NCAA's and played a National Schedule every year. No one could come close to us in the A10 during the regular season. Just terrible play now. 

3/02/2022 4:44 pm  #59

Mentzinger wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

100%

100%

3/02/2022 4:47 pm  #60

Joel Joseph wrote:

Well said FQ and others.
Rising, we are quickly approaching the end of another poor season and the 6th year of the Knapp/Maltzman/Nero disaster. The long time GW fans lost patience (and hope for some of us) long ago.
No more excuses like transfers, COVID, injuries, etc. The A-10 is down right now and there is no reason we continue to be in the bottom half of the league.
JC has been here for 3 years now, with 2 more to go. We don't have the money or the administrative support to fire him so we are stuck with him.
This was the year we were supposed to rise to the top half - and improvement is not losing every game to the top half of the league.
I'm afraid we will be hearing the same old excuses for the next 2 years.
Raise High (just a little bit!)

So Joel (or anyone else) just a quick question. If the Program was destroyed by Nero, Maltzman etc. as badly as you (and others) suggest (and which for the most part I agree with), why do you think it would take just 75 games (really 2 1/2 seasons)  to restore it to NCAA-contention worthy caliber even assuming no COVID, injuries etc. Seems like some of you want to have it both ways because either it wasn't destroyed to the depths that you like to repeatedly mention (in which case JC should be winning more) or it was. You really can't have it both ways.

Board footera