GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2022 12:21 pm  #1

Turnaround History

Do you recall any GW team that has had an in season turnaround like this?

We looked destined for a 2-16 A10 slate

All the more incredible, it's happening with a starting frontcourt of Qwanzi Samuels and Hunter Dean, who both deserve some credit individually from barely playable to holding their own against A10 Bigs

We almost beat Davidson and we've won 7 of our last 11 A10 games did anyone imagine that watching the OOC?

Last edited by The Dude (2/20/2022 12:22 pm)

2/20/2022 12:31 pm  #2

Re: Turnaround History

I have noticed the timely timeouts that were not taken earlier in the season. Now, if the opposing team begins to go on a run, a timeout is called. This was not happening before.

2/20/2022 4:24 pm  #3

More going on than calling TOs.

Somehow this team is defending really well, with 3 Guards and a very limited Front Court.  

Lindo and Adams had their roles scaled back/changed, and that seems to have helped. Bishop and JoeBam  have taken turns carrying the offense.   

Pretty stunning though, how exactly is this team doing this??

2/20/2022 4:32 pm  #4

To me it started with the first RI game when Jamion went to the motion offense and stuck with it. That and a double down on a tenacious defense has turned it aruund and made these guys believe on themselves. JC made the right decision and the have t looked back yet.

2/20/2022 5:24 pm  #5

Joe Bam sort of spoke to this in the post game with Byron last night:

The best I can transcribe off of ESPN+

“I think when we were in a situation where we were losing it was easy to get down but that was because we were projecting how good we thought we were going to be instead of playing the game we should play. Now we are in a place where we are playing the game and we are only worried about each possession, not even the game, each possession, each four minutes, each half, that’s the microscope of everything and I think that’s what allowed us to play well. Because when you have that mindset, the next game doesn’t matter, the last possession doesn’t matter, and the possession after doesn’t matter. So I think that’s been pretty good for us as a team.”

He also mentioned how they all seem to understand each other’s game better which helped. I think the big thing for JC will be how to make sure it doesn’t take 10 games to get there.

Last edited by GW0509 (2/20/2022 5:26 pm)

2/21/2022 11:22 am  #6

I love this JoeBam quote because it shares the sentiment here of many who did not foresee a 13th place finish.  As fans, many of us knew that this team had talent and could not begin to understand the 2-8 start.

While the road win at URI was very significant, I think the turnaround for this season goes back to JC's eventual realization that Brayon Freeman and not James Bishop needed to be his team's point guard.  I was hoping to see this from Day 1 but two factors that can't be ignored were: 1) Brayon is a freshman and JC did not want him playing 30+ minutes as a starter from the beginning and 2) JC had told James that he was going to be his point guard with a scorers mentality.  I think JC wanted to give James every opportunity to thrive in this role but James's skill set is just so much better suited to play off the ball.  I felt Brayon would excel given the competition he faced in high school.  To JC's credit, he reversed course and ultimately gave the ball to Brayon to set up the offense.

2/21/2022 11:37 am  #7

I think the turnaround has been remarkable and JC deserves a ton of credit. I was not a big fan of GW hiring him, and after this year's 2-8 start I was thinking that GW had made a mistake. But he now seems to be developing into a coach that can be successful in the A10. I hope he builds on the turnaround next year, in part by getting the team ready to play from the first game so we beat who we should in the OOC. If he can do that, we may have just found the right guy for the job.

2/21/2022 7:28 pm  #8

Most amazing, is that we're not getting absolutely killed inside.

The defense has been somehow even better with a 3 Guard lineup.  

2/22/2022 11:40 am  #9

Just saw some stats about how we do in the half court. 

The TLDR is that we have the worst halfcourt offense in the league, but a solidly average (6th) halfcourt defense.

Unfortunately on balance, because the offense is so bad, we are the worst halfcourt team in the league when you met out offense and defense points per possession

https://twitter.com/a10stats/status/1495830894975795204?s=21

2/22/2022 1:30 pm  #10

Free Quebec wrote:

Just saw some stats about how we do in the half court.

The TLDR is that we have the worst halfcourt offense in the league, but a solidly average (6th) halfcourt defense.

Unfortunately on balance, because the offense is so bad, we are the worst halfcourt team in the league when you met out offense and defense points per possession

https://twitter.com/a10stats/status/1495830894975795204?s=21

Seems like this is the full season? Curious what this would look like just for conference play.

2/22/2022 3:15 pm  #11

My main question, are we witnessing the beginning of an actual program turnaround?  

2/22/2022 3:38 pm  #12

The Dude wrote:

My main question, are we witnessing the beginning of an actual program turnaround?  

No.  The beginning took place this past offseason when it was obvious to everyone but you that JC had upgraded the talent level of this team.  Don't you remember Dude?  You kept clinging to the notion that all of these experts and forecasters (when in actuality, it was only some forecasters but not most or all) were predicting a 13th place finish for this team while proceeding to mock me, GWRising , and anyone else who had even the slightest amount of foresight regarding this team.  With this past weekend's results, GW can now finish in no worse than 12th place.  So despite your repeated claims (and I do mean repeated) that we were all delusional and creating unrealistically high bars to make JC look bad when he didn't meet them, it certainly does appear that this team will finish far closer to what we thought than the 13th place finish that you were anticipating.  In fact, what we know for sure at this point is that 13th place is an impossibility.

2/22/2022 3:56 pm  #13

Gwmayhem wrote:

The Dude wrote:

No.  The beginning took place this past offseason when it was obvious to everyone but you that JC had upgraded the talent level of this team.  Don't you remember Dude?  You kept clinging to the notion that all of these experts and forecasters (when in actuality, it was only some forecasters but not most or all) were predicting a 13th place finish for this team while proceeding to mock me, GWRising , and anyone else who had even the slightest amount of foresight regarding this team.  With this past weekend's results, GW can now finish in no worse than 12th place.  So despite your repeated claims (and I do mean repeated) that we were all delusional and creating unrealistically high bars to make JC look bad when he didn't meet them, it certainly does appear that this team will finish far closer to what we thought than the 13th place finish that you were anticipating.  In fact, what we know for sure at this point is that 13th place is an impossibility.

Perhaps after tonight, we will be able to say we can finish no worse than 10th. I believe a GW win or losses by both URI and St. Joseph's will make that happen. A GW win will make even 10th very unlikely.

That said, the turnaround did start last Summer. Unfortunately, a serious injury to Ira Lee and some initial chemistry issues with so many new parts delayed any tangible signs. I said then and I'll say it now that progress would be defined as not playing in the first round of the A-10 tourney. 13th was an absurdly low bar under almost any conditions. I am perhaps JC's biggest supporter here. Even I knew we shouldn't set such a low bar even though it would have been in JC's interests to do so. Stop it Dude.

Last edited by GWRising (2/22/2022 3:57 pm)

2/22/2022 4:15 pm  #14

Agree with Rising and I think if I had to start working on the next next step it will be how much of this team can JC retain and how do we structure the offseason so it doesn't take 10 games for the team to figure out how to play together.  Obviously returning a core of Freeman, Bam, and Bishop will help greatly in that effort but given that we'll probably have some combination of 4-5 new players via recruits and transfers those three vets will need to work on getting all the new players into the fold.  

2/22/2022 5:46 pm  #15

Tisk Tisk, that's not very nice Maylhem.  Congrats on the birth of your child though, girl or boy?

Seemed pretty likely and reasonable, that GW would be and was picked to finish 13th going into the season by both Coaches and Writers.  I wasn't shaken then by that or have changed my view much, I always thought he could coach, based on his 2 prior stints, it was clear. 

Can he recruit well enough to succeed in the A10?  We're def winning more games than the talent would suggest, we start a 2 man front court of Qwanzi Samuels and Hunter Dean.

2/24/2022 10:29 am  #16

And with last night's results in, GW is guaranteed to skip play-in Wednesday as they are guaranteed to finish no worse than 10th place.  They could still finish in 6th place but realistically, somewhere between 7th and 9th appears to be more likely.  A resounding validation to several here who analyzed the talent on this team and predicted a finish very much along these lines.  A surprise to some forecasters and predictors, as well as those who seem to hang on their every word to form their own opinion.

Let's revisit just a few of those moments, courtesy of The Dude:

"It's important to properly state where the team is, the bottom of the A10.  There's a lot of fraudulent nonsense here to achieve some bizarre make believe agenda."

"Bart Torvik has us 273rd and 14th in the A10,  a widely respected site.  I'll put more stock in Torvik."

(Yes, this is the same Bart Torvik who gave GW under a 35% chance of winning at Duquesne.  Guy really knows his stuff.)

Note:  I hope the board understands that ordinarily, I would never shove someone else's erroneous prediction in their face like this.  However, The Dude has this coming and then some.  This is what you get when you troll and troll, and then wind up being wrong.  

I know there's a part of The Dude that had to be rooting for a 13th or 14th place finish, just to be able to say yet again how right he was.  I only wish I was kidding.

2/24/2022 11:19 am  #17

Gwmayhem ... it's like shooting fish in a barrel when it comes to the Dude. He never disappoints lol.

2/24/2022 12:07 pm  #18

My view remains we were the Ira Lee injury away from actually being good this year.

We've won a lot lately but it's not an actually good team because the front court is so weak without Ira Lee and the Jamison Battle departure

1 or 2 big front court additions and we're right there since we have top 1/3 A10 Guard talent. If Lee was playing or Battle had stayed or both we'd be a bubble type team or close to it now.

2/24/2022 12:15 pm  #19

The Dude wrote:

My view remains we were the Ira Lee injury away from actually being good this year.

We've won a lot lately but it's not an actually good team because the front court is so weak without Ira Lee and the Jamison Battle departure

1 or 2 big front court additions and we're right there since we have top 1/3 A10 Guard talent. If Lee was playing or Battle had stayed or both we'd be a bubble type team or close to it now.

Moving the goal posts again????? You said we were the 13th best team in the A-10. You said that knowing Lee was out and Battle gone. The debate was never about whether we were a bubble team or at the top of the A-10. You said 13th and a bunch of us said top 10 to varying degrees but no one that I am aware of had us as a top 4. You were wrong. Admit it and move on. It's really going to be ok.

2/24/2022 1:01 pm  #20

The Dude wrote:

Your view remains?  

My view remains that you are a pathological liar.

Board footera