GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2022 9:48 am  #101

Re: GW vs Mason Game Thread

GW0509 wrote:

Knapp reminds me of the journeyman hitting .280 in AAA that people are demanding get called up. Sure, he could come up and give you a couple of good at bats, but if he could do more he wouldn’t be in the minors.

Spot on.

2/28/2022 9:50 am  #102

jf wrote:

GWRising wrote:

jf wrote:

It is very questionable that given our shooting woes, Knapp does not sniff the court.
But it would be really problematic if he doesn't start on Senior Day, though I think JC has been good about that tradition.

So you think Knapp should play more. Great! But I think JC knows a little bit more than you do about Knapp's capabilities and where he can be successfully utilized. After all, he sees him everyday in practice. And you?

Have eyes and can read D1 stats and realize that doing things the same way when you are losing, sometimes losing big, is not necessarily a great strategy. Also players get tired.
    Yes, we've been great about successfully utilizing players this year and under JC.

You should send in your resume to JC and elsewhere. It will say two things: "Have eyes and can read D1 stats." That's all you need to be a coach lol!

Last edited by GWRising (2/28/2022 9:50 am)

2/28/2022 9:56 am  #103

Yesterday proved that an improved team does not necessarily mean a good one.  Or perhaps I should say a consistent one.  I say this because a number of things happened in this game that just should never happen.  Some may appear to be nitpicks but they all add up in tight games.

1) Mason ran an inbounds play where Oduro caught the pass in between three GW players and proceeded for an easy dunk.  Coaching legend Ron Thompson, he of the 9 career wins as a college head coach, was correct in pointing out that GW fell asleep on the inbounds play.

2) So when you're caught napping, instinct says you will be overly alert on the next GM possession so as to not allow another easy basket.  Instead, a Mason player drove the lane in such an uncontested manner that it appeared he was in a pregame layup line.

3) Sticking with defense, am picking on Samuels in this example but this has happened so many times that it applies to almost everyone at one time or another.  Oduro, who is right handed, gets the ball in the post along the baseline.  Samuels is guarding him.  As a defender, you musty deny Oduro the baseline.  You do this by sticking your left foot extended to the baseline so that Oduro literally has to crash into you in order to go to his right.  We are horrible at taking away the baseline.  It's either the coaches not preaching it or the players not understanding or executing.  Predictably, Samuels provides enough of an opening for Oduro to back in using his strong hand and banking in an easy layup.

4) Ricky Lindo's fifth foul.  We can complain all day that a ref should not foul a player out on a call like this but what on earth was Ricky thinking?  Oduro is setting up to make a thunderous dunk off of a fast break.  Lindo can not be anywhere near that play.  The likelihood of getting a clean block on that play is miniscule when compared to the importance of Ricky staying in the game at this juncture.  I get that his competitive instincts may have taken over but it's decisions like that which separates smart teams from less than smart teams.

5) This echoes Moneybox's spot on post.  GW had a 6 point lead with a little more than 5 minutes remaining and was then outscored 13-0 to lose the game.  As soon as GW lost the lead, the two JB's combined to miss five three point shots.  These were not the shooting in rhythm type of shots, like when Brayon threw a bounce pass into the corner to James who sank the three in the first half.  These were what we used to call back in the day "chucks", as in someone who was taking wild, bad outside shots on the playground  was "chucking away."  These were long, out of rhythm shots when what was really needed were higher percentage plays that would result in easy baskets or free throw opportunities.  

6) What we saw down the stretch was panic.  The team had lost the lead and rather than rally to try to come back by hitting singles and drawing walks, the team instead swung for the fences on each pitch and failed to make contact.  This team has a tendency to fall in love with the big shot or the big play and those are typically made by Bishop or Bamisile.    I don't care who the two players are...defending 5 against 2 is just not that hard.  The two JB's took 33 of the team's 57 shot attempts, which is actually better than it sounds since they also took 15 of the team's 20 foul shots.   Simply put, there is enough talent on this team that we do not have to play so unbalanced on one side of the floor.  When Brayon and Ricky and Brendan and Qwanzii are given more opportunities to score, the 2 JB's become that much more difficult to defend,  It's ironic that Brayon would score the team's first 7 points on 3-3 shooting and then only shoot 6 more times (excluding his miss at the very end of the game), while the JB's combined for 33 attempts.

7) Yes we'd like to win them all and seedings may definitely change but as things stand,  if we end up in the 8-9 games against Fordham or UMASS, this is preferable to me than playing URI again.  And, it may mean matching up with Davidson in the quarters, which is preferable to playing VCU or Dayton in the quarters.  The conference tournament has a history of 1's losing to 8/9's, and with Davidson being securely in the field, they will be more prone to let their guard down than any other top contender in the conference.

2/28/2022 11:35 am  #104

On post production, Dean actually has the best offensive efficiency on the team and unlike Noel, moves aggressively towards the basket when taking a shot.  Ricky has also had a few good post-focused offensive games in his time here.  

The problem I see is that, in our current system, Dean gets his touches around the three point line setting picks and handing the ball off to the guards in motion.  Opponents just don't defend him there since he has no range and seems to have no plan to drive to the basket.  He rarely gets the ball under the basket where he is much more dangerous.  Ricky also is hovering outside most of the time and any layups he gets are from the rare offensive rebound.  

IMO a big reason for the lack of offensive production for the bigs is the system is not designed for them to contribute heavily.

Last edited by BM (2/28/2022 11:36 am)

2/28/2022 12:17 pm  #105

Gwmayhem wrote:

Coaching legend Ron Thompson, he of the 9 career wins as a college head coach, was correct in pointing out that GW fell asleep on the inbounds play.

Haha, that's why I almost lost my lunch.

2/28/2022 12:17 pm  #106

I’m not sure we really panicked. The team lives and dies as the Big 3 play. When they are on or 2 of them are on we compete. Neither post player is an outside threat. Dean who is really a 4 has improved a ton. He actually has shown some decent offense within 10 ft of the basket. Lindo has not been the same player as last year. Lately he has shown glimpses of what he can do. When you live and die outside and have little interior offense, or defense, scoring will be in spurts. The team has gotten better and play harder lately. Let’s hope we get a good draw in the Tournament and further hope for immediate help underneath for next year.

2/28/2022 12:52 pm  #107

2twooed wrote:

I’m not sure we really panicked. The team lives and dies as the Big 3 play. When they are on or 2 of them are on we compete. Neither post player is an outside threat. Dean who is really a 4 has improved a ton. He actually has shown some decent offense within 10 ft of the basket. Lindo has not been the same player as last year. Lately he has shown glimpses of what he can do. When you live and die outside and have little interior offense, or defense, scoring will be in spurts. The team has gotten better and play harder lately. Let’s hope we get a good draw in the Tournament and further hope for immediate help underneath for next year.

I used the word panic to illustrate the very poor quality of shots being taken down the stretch.  I pointed out the corner 3 in the first half that James made off of Brayon's bounce pass to illustrate what a "good 3" looks like.  The shots taken down the stretch were either contested, or too deep.  The team wasn't working to get a higher percentage shot, which is really what was needed.  It's obviously hard to know for sure...either the team wasn't panicked  but thought that both JB's taking lower percentage shots was the best option since both are capable shooters or the team fell behind after being up by 10 in the second half, panicked, and took some poor shots feeling that this was needed in order to stay in the game.

2/28/2022 1:24 pm  #108

GWRising wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Knapp reminds me of the journeyman hitting .280 in AAA that people are demanding get called up. Sure, he could come up and give you a couple of good at bats, but if he could do more he wouldn’t be in the minors.

Spot on.

Generally, I agree with this. But let's not pretend it's always true. The only reason Tom Brady is Tom Brady is because Drew Bledsoe got hurt. Oklahoma City traded James Harden before he truly became James Harden. Jose Bautista played for four different teams before becoming a star. Havlicek was a bench player at the start of his career.

While I don't believe JC is wrong here--and I trust his judgment on evaluating his talent--we shouldn't pretend like the best players always play.

2/28/2022 1:48 pm  #109

I’m no expert, but Knapp seems to me like he can shoot just fine but isn’t athletic enough to get open in the A10, or to defend A10 caliber shooters. So the only situation that I can see him being a good option would be after a TO, with a play specifically drawn up to get him an open shot. And as many on here have pointed out, JC rarely calls TOs to draw up plays at the end of games. It seems to me that he would prefer to let his players push the ball at the end of close games, presumably because he doesn’t want to give the other team rest or the opportunity to set up their defense. But we could have used some TOs and drawn up plays yesterday, as well as at the end of the Davidson game.

2/28/2022 1:56 pm  #110

Gwmayhem wrote:

2twooed wrote:

I used the word panic to illustrate the very poor quality of shots being taken down the stretch.  I pointed out the corner 3 in the first half that James made off of Brayon's bounce pass to illustrate what a "good 3" looks like.  The shots taken down the stretch were either contested, or too deep.  The team wasn't working to get a higher percentage shot, which is really what was needed.  It's obviously hard to know for sure...either the team wasn't panicked  but thought that both JB's taking lower percentage shots was the best option since both are capable shooters or the team fell behind after being up by 10 in the second half, panicked, and took some poor shots feeling that this was needed in order to stay in the game.

Rushing down the court in the final two mins and jacking up a wild trey when only down by one possession sure looked like panic to me. One shot ties the game, no need to rush it. Not passing the ball on the 5-on-4 break when JoeBam heaved up a prayer from 30ft is another example of panic. Run a play (or whatever it is GW does in lieu of running a play). If it were a 6-point game, maybe the heaves make sense. But down 3? With over 60 seconds to play? Cracking under pressure.

2/28/2022 2:06 pm  #111

The panic was by the "coach". How else do you explain letting Mason score the last 13 points of the game? Gimme a break!

2/28/2022 2:28 pm  #112

I don't disagree that the last few minutes of the game were poorly managed (particularly relying on Bishop down the stretch when the shots weren't falling for him). But I think it's a different story if Brayon hits the front end of the one and one with 2:37 left that would've tied it at 63 or Joe hits the open three coming out of the timeout with 1:53 left that would have tied it at 65.

2/28/2022 2:33 pm  #113

Bryan Knapp James Harden analogy...spot on!

The two share so much in common after all

2/28/2022 3:45 pm  #114

moneybox wrote:

The panic was by the "coach". How else do you explain letting Mason score the last 13 points of the game? Gimme a break!

I can't believe I am responding to this nonsense. Nobody "let" anyone do anything. Nobody "panicked". Mason made shots and we didn't and then the momentum switched. Runs happen. It's a game of runs and unfortunately theirs came at the worst time. Watch some college basketball before commenting next time.

2/28/2022 3:52 pm  #115

I'm not sure if it was panic, but the last few minutes of the game Bishop and Bamisile seemed to revert back to playing hero ball instead of doing what we did to get the lead in the first place.  

2/28/2022 3:56 pm  #116

porter71 wrote:

I'm not sure if it was panic, but the last few minutes of the game Bishop and Bamisile seemed to revert back to playing hero ball instead of doing what we did to get the lead in the first place.  

Yes the shot selection was not good in time and score.

2/28/2022 4:14 pm  #117

That was the worst officiated, most 1 sided game I've seen this year.  That played a huge role in the outcome.

It also came down to a game of runs, and both teams played mostly good defense and took turns with offensive dry spells.  

In the games we've won, JoeBam and or Bishop have taken and made a lot of quasi tough shots, that's how we score.  We don't really have a post-game or Frontcourt shooting to turn to, we can't play pick and pop screens, we rely on those guys.   Both had an off shooting day, and both got hacked uncalled on many of the  shots they missed, there was at least 3x we took a 3 an elbow got hit, no call.

But man, how many quick whistles for their guys, how many times did a GW player clearly get fouled and no whistle.  Every year it seems to happen to us on the road at Mason and VCU.  Oduro got away with at least 4 clear fouls, he wraps up arms and the flails away.

Bigger picture, the Frontcourt just has to get better personnel.  Everyone battled hard though yet again, I give Dean and Samuels a lot of credit for big improvement.  We played a team we were 11 point underdogs in a game that look more like even matchup.  Light years better than the early part of the season

the last 7 shots of the game for GW:

JoeBam drove twice, missed contested layups
Missed Wide open 3 from JoeBam off a drive from Bishop
Bishop drives and missed an open layup
Bishop takes a long open 3, missed.
JoeBam takes and missed a would be game tying 3  with 25 secnds left 
Down 5 now Bishop takes a 3 with 15 seconds left

I realize its usually better to let the BS pass by, but I'll make an exception for the last 2 minutes of that game. 

Last edited by The Dude (2/28/2022 4:34 pm)

2/28/2022 6:01 pm  #118

Dude, one of those plays at the end of the game where Biship got bumped going up for a layup and didn’t get the call or finish through contact.  Not sure if that’s the one you are calling an open layup. 

I’ll also add that GW fans trying to convince themselves or Hunter Dean’s ability to score around the basket is like Sixers fans trying to convince themselves that Ben Simmons is really good at 10 foot jumpers. 

The reason Dean and Ricky are on the perimeter is to create space for the drives. since they are highly unlikely to score with their back to the basket, it’s better to get them out of the way so the killer Bs can drive to the basket.

2/28/2022 6:17 pm  #119

Free Quebec wrote:

Dude, one of those plays at the end of the game where Biship got bumped going up for a layup and didn’t get the call or finish through contact. Not sure if that’s the one you are calling an open layup.

I’ll also add that GW fans trying to convince themselves or Hunter Dean’s ability to score around the basket is like Sixers fans trying to convince themselves that Ben Simmons is really good at 10 foot jumpers.

The reason Dean and Ricky are on the perimeter is to create space for the drives. since they are highly unlikely to score with their back to the basket, it’s better to get them out of the way so the killer Bs can drive to the basket.

Yeah, that's the play.  TBH I didn't think that was a foul but maybe I missed the foul, Bishop certainly did, you seem to think so and there was a LOT of that in the game.  Makes sense because its hard to believe he would otherwise miss a point blank layup so easily.    JoeBam had 2 at the rim (with some contact too) and 4 3's all of them pretty good looks, JoeBam's was wide open. We went 0 for 7, it was hardly "panic"   All 7 shots were variations of shots we've made all year and typically the good to pretty good looks we get.

Also, agreed, def better to have those guys out of the paint not clogging things up.   Ideally it would have been Battle setting pick and pop 3s but this is the personnel we have to deploy.

The guy I'd perhaps like to see more utilized, is Lindo, but frankly the team has played much better since his role was reduced.

2/28/2022 6:29 pm  #120

When you take a shot from around 25 feet away from the basket, it's generally going to be a "good look"
In fact, it's such a good look that unless your last name is Curry, defenses want nothing more than to watch opponents hoist such shots.  It's also a very low percentage shot that almost always plays into the opposition's hands.  It's a totally different situation when you have no choice but to take them.  When the margin is around 3-4 points with 2 minutes left, no, it's not sound basketball.  In the slightest.

Board footera