GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2022 9:11 pm  #41

Re: GW vs Duquesne Game Thread

Lindo 4 turnovers

3/02/2022 9:12 pm  #42

Mentzinger wrote:

MG14 wrote:

Blew a 6 point lead with 1:45 left in OT. That's so bad

Is that when Brendan Adams and not Brayon Freeman was running the point? 

Fortunately I'm not at the game so I don't know. Following on the ESPN app

3/02/2022 9:14 pm  #43

15 steals. down 5.

3/02/2022 9:18 pm  #44

Going down 5 in 2OT night warrant a timeout? Instead it's Bishop and Freeman in a series of 1-on-5 drives. I'm done here.

3/02/2022 9:20 pm  #45

Man. What a thriller of a game

3/02/2022 9:21 pm  #46

Absolute line of the day, heard on the television broadcast:  "It's a shame somebody has to win this game."

3/02/2022 9:21 pm  #47

Whatever happens now, this has been good experience for the team. They have struggled with close games this year.

3/02/2022 9:22 pm  #48

DAMN..a 3rd overtime!! I'm not sure how everyone here will feel about this game even if GW wins!! It's not just that GW is struggling with a team on a 14-game losing streak but the Team Manager averaging 0.8PPG hitting clutch shots for Duquesne!!

3/02/2022 9:32 pm  #49

Bishop had 2 points with 5 minutes to play and still ends up with over 20, lol.

Learning to win 101, that’s what this game is.

3/02/2022 9:34 pm  #50

Gassed. Like the Pitt game many years ago.

3/02/2022 9:36 pm  #51

Never in doubt! Good win for the boys!

3/02/2022 9:40 pm  #52

Yummy Crow! 8 conference wins is way more than I thought they’d win.

3/02/2022 9:41 pm  #53

I am not usually one to jump at the chance to join the torch-and-pitchfork crowd, but someone tell me how tonight does not figure prominently (and negatively) in JC´s annual performance review.
That was an awful, crummy, lousy Duques team on the skids that took them to 3OTs, and probably should have won. In the end, superior athletic ability and talent won the day, but it should never have come to that. The sleepwalking in the first half, allowing another comfortable 2nd half (and first OT) lead to evaporate, the lack of rotation, the wild shots when running a play would be more productive and the inability to play any defense at the end of regulation almost turned this in to a complete debacle.

3/02/2022 9:43 pm  #54

Exciting, thrilling 3 OT win

Seniors go out winners on senior night

JoeBam and Bishop, brilliant particularly in the 3 OTs

3/02/2022 9:45 pm  #55

An easy cupcake game before going to Rose Hill. Yep. Almost feel like Dayton after they lost to LaSalle. However, we won. I'm shocked by all the steals Duquesne  had.

3/02/2022 9:57 pm  #56

I'll take the W regardless of how poorly we played. TOs were a huge issue that almost cost us the game. Bishop very clutch in OT. Shout out to Gally for hitting that early 3 which must've felt amazing.

One more win or a Mason loss (they play UMass so unlikely) and we clinch the 7 seed. Never thought I'd be saying that in December.

3/02/2022 10:37 pm  #57

3/02/2022 11:05 pm  #58

BGF wrote:

Absolute line of the day, heard on the television broadcast:  "It's a shame somebody has to win this game."

That is really funny. Good find,BGF!

3/03/2022 12:10 am  #59

I thought it was a great game.  Forget Duquesnes's record.   Rather than rolling over on their 1-14 record, they really seemed to want this one and played like hell to win.  Both teams hit very key shots at the ends of regulation and the overtimes.  This included made 2 made free throws to tie the game with just seconds left by Adams and Joe B.   Incredibly clutch 3s by both Bishop and Freeman.  Both teams played very hard.   Shout out to Bishop, who after posting a triple zero in the first half had a fabulous second half and overtime.   Not sure why he sat on the bench so long during those final 6-8 minutes of the second half.  We were very fortunate to escape with a win that was starting to look like a certain loss at times.   My headbanging was the turovers, (many in the form of ill advised, telegraphed passes), the lack of team play down the stretch of regulation, and again, our inability to guard the rim, this time not against a big but against a "diminutive:  guard who blew past his man (Adams) at will, and would frequently lay it in or get foulded).  

3/03/2022 10:10 am  #60

Really enjoyed reading all of the outcome-determinative posts!  I mean, who couldn't be ecstatic over that performance?

It was not all bad.  In fact, I wondered after the game if more people would have described this game as entertaining or sloppy.  It was obviously plenty of both.  To put this in perspective, not only did this win come against a team who has now lost 15 consecutive games, and who we had beaten by 20+ points at their place less than a month ago, but who last night played without arguably one of their two best players.  

LSF saw both teams playing very hard but frankly, I thought GW took much of the night off.  They played hard down the stretch and in the overtimes, when the game was on the line.  Prior to this, I saw a bunch of ridiculous turnovers, many of the lazy/unforced variety.  It was great that we started our departing players (it really should be called "departing player night" when both a graduate student and a junior graduating early are among the honorees), but I could not have been the only one who thought that "maybe we should put the starters back in" at several points throughout the game.  (The Galley 3 was great to see, the one that went in obviously, but it was also nice to see all starters grab at least 1 rebound and meaningfully get into the box score.)

Let's face it...our team made the mistake of chalking up this one as a win before the opening tip.  They were extremely fortunate to win and one can only hope that they learned a valuable lesson not to count anyone out.  At the bottom of this conference, GW was taken to 3 OT's by Duquesne, survived La Salle when a half court heave hit the back iron, and lost at St. Joe's.  Am not sure that we are capable of beating everyone in our conference but I do know we are vulnerable enough to lose to anyone.

Let me end with the entertaining stuff.  If you did nothing but watch Joe Bamisile throughout an entire game, you would experience about every emotion there is to experience.  He makes unreal shots.  He takes ridiculous shots.  He makes acrobatic plays.  He goes for steals 35 feet from the basket and loses his man when he fails to come up with the ball.  He laughs.  He gestures.  He calmly makes two free throws when both are needed to send the game to overtime.  During a 30 second timeout I believe during one of the OT's, JC had his team stand in a semi-circle facing him.  4 guys are hanging on JC's every word.  The 5th is Joe, who is literally dancing in place as the coach is giving his instructions.  I'm very glad JC is Joe's coach; can you imagine if Dambrot was?

I was nervous for James as he sat for an extended period, perhaps both of us wondering what a 4 point night might do to his scoring average.  And then came those overtimes.   Flat out lifted the team on his shoulders over the final 15 minutes.  Just an extraordinary job.

We will have the choice to remember Ricky as the guy who thought he could handle the ball but really couldn't along with the guy who often had trouble finishing around the basket (though he did fine last night), or as the guy who was a warrior who battled each game, dominating the defensive boards on  a team where nobody else truly could, always seemed to generate blocks and steals on the defensive end, and really, a talented GW forward with a unique skill set.  I will choose the latter. 

Nice 3 when it counted Brayon.

Huge free throws when they were needed, Brendan.

Pretty solid performance, Hunter.

Board footera