GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2022 5:41 pm  #1

Case for a Big Jump Next Year

Or in the alternative: Is Joe Bamisile Isaiah Armwood?

So I was thinking about this yesterday but is it possible that JC is actually following ML's blueprint just that the acquisition of talent is reversed? 

I would argue the two biggest acquisitions ML made was first to get an impact interior player in Isaiah Armwood and then bring in a mercenary guard in Mo Creek to shore up our back court and take us over the top.  Meanwhile, JC seems to have been able to get an impact backcourt player in Bamisile first and now needs to find a mercenary front court player (this was obviously supposed to be Ira Lee this season).

Joe and Isaiah's first years are remarkably similar stats-wise. Joe's Win Share figure, an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player due to his offense and defense, is currently 2.3 while Isaiah's was 3.4 (entirely due to Armwood's better defensive metrics). Both players have the highest win share figure on their respective teams, meaning they both contributed the most to their respective team's success.  Isaiah Armwood was the 66th rated player in the 2009 class while Joe was the 74th ranked player in the 2020 class.

12-13 GW's record was 
13-17 (7-9, 11th in A-10).
21-22 GW's record is currently 12-16 (8-8, 7th in 
A-10),

12-13's KenPom is where the similarities end as our 13-17 record gave us a KenPom of 111 while our 12-16 record currently has us as 226.  The A10 was much tougher KenPom-wise than it is this season.  I believe there were 10 A10 teams inside the Top 100 in 2013.

But IF JC can find the equivalent of a Mo Creek who plays Center, is it completely out of the realm of possibility that we could go 24-9 (11-5) next year with Freeman (as JoeMac), Bishop (as Garino), Adams (as Savage) and a combination of Dean/Harvey/Samuels/Brown as Larsen?  In 2014, Armwood's WS went from 3.4 to 4.2 and Creek's WS was 3.2.  Can Bamisile get to a 3.4 WS and can we find a C to add a 3.5-4 WS?  Can Freeman, Bishop, Adams, and the 4 headed monster at PF each increase their WS by 1?

Last edited by GW0509 (3/03/2022 5:52 pm)

3/03/2022 6:41 pm  #2

Re: Case for a Big Jump Next Year

What's the deal with Ira Lee - Is he for sure gone? Center seems to be the missing puzzle piece, not sure if we can replicate Larsen but Hunter Dean has definitely stepped up more than some other gangly centers I can think of.

3/03/2022 7:28 pm  #3

brod wrote:

What's the deal with Ira Lee - Is he for sure gone? Center seems to be the missing puzzle piece, not sure if we can replicate Larsen but Hunter Dean has definitely stepped up more than some other gangly centers I can think of.

For sure gone. 

3/04/2022 10:22 am  #4

With Lee gone and, by the sound of it, Lindo too we need to bring in 2 instant impact big men (preferably a PF and a C). We don't do that and I have a hard time seeing us making "the jump" to Top 4 in the league next season. That's just my pessimistic view of things

3/04/2022 11:02 am  #5

I don't think thats pessimistic, it is absolutely clear. Without any impact inside players who can body up in the post, we wont be able to compete against top teams.

3/04/2022 11:12 am  #6

Before we make any "Case for a Big Jump Next Year" let's be sure that Freeman, Bamissle and Bishop are coming back next year. Are we sure they are?

3/04/2022 11:25 am  #7

GW73 wrote:

Before we make any "Case for a Big Jump Next Year" let's be sure that Freeman, Bamissle and Bishop are coming back next year. Are we sure they are?

I have no inside knowledge but I would be very surprised if any of them left. They all seem very happy and all have a prominent role on the team. Especially now that the team is looking better than it did to start the year, I think they're all bought in.

3/04/2022 11:35 am  #8

Keep in mind that both James and Joe would need to sit out a full year if they wanted to transfer since it would be the second transfer for each.  My strong sense is that all three will be back.

3/04/2022 12:14 pm  #9

I also recently looked at the 12-13 team and was stunned to see that team had a kenpom of 111. If we were at 111 right now I think we'd be talking NCAAs as an expectation next year. I don't think anyone was talking NCAAs after the 12-13 season; that team needed a buzzer-beater in the last game of the season just to avoid missing the conference tourney, back when the bottom 2 teams didn't even make the conference tourney.

I can think of long lists of reasons for both optimism and pessimism next year. Something the 13-14 team had was four solid freshmen becoming sophomores, in addition to Armwood and Creek. For the current team, I see Freeman and Bamisile being the keys to next year since I think both have incredibly high ceilings they have yet to fulfill. I think FQ mentioned Bamisile having NBA potential, and I agree. I know this may be too bullish on him, but I think he could have potential of 1st team all conference, in the conversation for POY. He has elite athleticism combined with potentially elite skills, including shooting close to 40% from 3 during conference play. If he can fulfill that potential and Freeman makes a sophomore leap, and an impact transfer big is added, I can see reasons for optimism for next year (i'll hold on discussing the reasons for pessimism for now )

3/04/2022 1:24 pm  #10

A good measure of Joe's growth as a player will be whether his basketball IQ rises over time.  Will he avoid taking ill advised shots?  When he's trying to score on a 1 vs. 3 on the break, will he pull the ball back out?  (He did not on Wednesday.)  Will he stop himself from going for foolish steals 30 feet from the basket, thereby enabling his man to drive past him?  His athleticism and skills are elite.  From there, he needs to learn how to make better decisions on the court.

3/04/2022 1:47 pm  #11

Gwmayhem wrote:

A good measure of Joe's growth as a player will be whether his basketball IQ rises over time.  Will he avoid taking ill advised shots?  When he's trying to score on a 1 vs. 3 on the break, will he pull the ball back out?  (He did not on Wednesday.)  Will he stop himself from going for foolish steals 30 feet from the basket, thereby enabling his man to drive past him?  His athleticism and skills are elite.  From there, he needs to learn how to make better decisions on the court.

These are very good points.  And consistent shooting, along with shot selection and defensive play that is not just athletic.
  He has tremendous athleticism, enthusiasm and a shot that can be very pure at times to build on if he seeks make himself into a GW great.

3/04/2022 3:36 pm  #12

Don’t forget Loyola Chicago is coming into the conference next year.  That’s probably one or two more losses unless we get WAY WAY better than this year.  Also note that outside of St Bonaventure and Richmond, the A-10 is a very young league and likely almost all the competition will be getting better as well.

We need to get better just to stay in the same place.

PS - The KenPom luck rank of #61 this season also worries me

Last edited by BM (3/04/2022 3:39 pm)

3/04/2022 4:05 pm  #13

BM wrote:

PS - The KenPom luck rank of #61 this season also worries me

In conference we’ve lost games by 25, 27, 11 (to St Joe), 13, 5 (to Davidson!), 26, 13, and 7.   6 out of 8 by double figures, with 3 by at least 25.    If we played Bona, they probably beat us by double figures.

Our wins have by 1, 2, 9, 2, 9, 21 (over Duq), 11, and 5 in 3OT. 

So we are 4-0 in games decided by less than 5 or in OT; but 2-6 in double digit margins.

That’s hard to replicate. Old school fans/analysts call that a team that knows how to win close ones.  KenPom calls it luck because he figures over a larger sample size, those results would even out.

Personally I think the fact that we’ve been blown out so many times while pulling out most of the close games suggests that we are further away from competing than our 8-8 record suggests. 

I agree with those who say 2 strong frontcourt players are a must.  Maybe Jabari West can be one, but if he’s not a Brayon Freeman level recruit, then we are going to need 2 transfers to make the big jump.

I will add, I firmly believe if we had Ira Lee, we’d have been a better team all year (though we aren’t the only team dealing with a big injury). And I do think our guards are talented enough to make a leap if they have that frontcourt support (and get better coaching in ball movement, moving off the ball, and defensive details like keeping their man in front of them and going aggressively for long rebounds). 

But despite how pleased I am with how much we’ve improved from our rock bottom OOC performance (bottom 75 in the nation), this overall season has shaken my faith that JC will he able to get us to where ML, KH, Jarvis, and even Penders had us.  Next year is clearly make or break for his tenure.

3/04/2022 4:35 pm  #14

This team has done two things that obviously stand out:

1. Win a lot of close games
2. Dramatically improve during the course of the season

Not only as you say, do people call that "knowing how to win close games" but generally people ascribe that to the Head Coach.  Like with most things attributed to the Head Coach, that's drastically overstated.

Most importantly though, those are wins, the morale improves, you can see it on everyone's face, helps on the recruiting trail etc etc. Also, while 3 of the first 4 A10 wins were very close, 3 of the last 4 were not, showing how the team has improved mid-season, including one game where we held a 30 point lead late on the road, before emptying the bench, and another double digit road win (UMASS I think?)
Similarly while the early losses were very lopsided, 2 of the last 4 including the Davidson game were not, so ditto. We did other than Davidson, get pasted by the creme of the league, so there's that.

At the end of the day he's going to sink or swim on recruiting. There's now a lot of talent in the backcourt and its controlled 2-3 more seasons apiece.

Does seem we're 1-2 good FrontCourt pieces away from being good and for sure Ira Lee would have been one of them, but that's got to happen and whether it does will drive whether the next 2 seasons are a further big step forward or not.

Last edited by The Dude (3/04/2022 4:40 pm)

3/04/2022 5:13 pm  #15

I’m pleased with how the team has done and how they decided not to be terrible. Im sure JC had a role, but a turnaround from being as bad as they were is about leadership on the team. Reflects really well on their athletic character. I’d love to see 2 A10 tourny wins be their reward.

Still I think we’d be wise not to go Mander Crazy about next year.

Board footera