GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2022 2:56 pm  #1

GW Alum in 2022

Vermont will be a heavy favorite to go dancing.  They play Binghamton on Wednesday for the conference title.  Justin Mazzulla is 3rd on the team in minutes played, having started 23 of 30 games.  He is shooting 49.7% from the floor, scoring 7.6 points per game.

Buffalo plays Akron Thursday afternoon in the MAC tournament.  Maceo Jack averages 9.4 points per game, shooting 42.6% from the floor and 31.8% from 3.

Bryant has reached its conference final, tomorrow night against Wagner, by defeating Mount St. Mary's.  Down 2 with seconds to play, Mezie took the ball at the top of the circle and made a beautiful drive and dish to tie the game.  Then, he played great defense against a game winning attempt.  However, a loose ball resulted in a foul call with under a second left, and Bryant made 1 of 2 for the 1 point win.  Tyler Brelsford is not playing much for Bryant.  Averaging 3.3 points on 31.5% shooting.  Mezie averaged 11.4 points and 5 boards a game for MSM.  He had 14 in the loss to Bryant.

The CAA semis are tonight.  At 6:00, on CBSSN, JNJ and Delaware take on Terry Nolan, Jr., Chase Paar and Towson.  JNJ was second in minutes played for Delaware and was their leading scorer averaging just under 14 per game.  Also averaged 5.1 rebounds while shooting 45.7% from the floor and 37% from 3.  71 assists, 55 steals and 80 turnovers.  Yes, that all sounds familiar.  Terry Nolan Jr. and Chase Paar are each coming off the bench for the Tigers.  Terry is shooting 38.7% and just 30.6% from 3.  Managing though to average in double figures while handing out nearly 4 assists per game despite playing less than 26 minutes.  Chase plays around 11 minutes, is shooting 52% from the floor, and of note, has not taken a three point attempt this season.  (I swear he was nailing 3's at Kenner.)

Finally, there is Jamison Battle and his Gophers who begin Big 10 tournament play on Wednesday against Penn State.  He has averaged 17.4 points per game on 45.1% shooting and is hitting 3's at a 36.5% clip (49.6% of his shot attempts are from 3.)  He has also been a more aggressive rebounder averaging 6.3 per contest.  Having seen him play quite a bit, I would add that his defense and overall athleticism have improved as well, particularly after considering that he is playing against more difficult competition.

3/07/2022 3:30 pm  #2

Re: GW Alum in 2022

Marfo was named third-team all MAAC.

Not sure it warrants full on schadenfreude but I remember Brelsford being quoted as saying he was leaving GW because it’s pointless to play college basketball if you’re not starting. Wonder if he’ll end up transferring a second time?

Last edited by GW0509 (3/07/2022 3:32 pm)

3/07/2022 3:48 pm  #3

Sorry about Kevin.  And C. Smith, and Jair.  There are obviously several others out there still playing.  Lincoln Ball was another.

As for Tyler, a remark that should have never been made or at the very least, kept private.  Am sure he saw himself as someone who was starting to come on at GW yet would still be coming off the bench, and concluded that of course he would start at a school like Bryant.  It's a good lesson that very little in life worth having is simply handed to you without your earning it.

3/07/2022 4:28 pm  #4

I wish all of these guys the very best on their current teams and in their future endeavors, but in all honesty, the only guy I really miss is Battle. Imagine what we could have done this year if he had stuck around! I also miss Jameer a bit, although I don't think he would have moved the needle for us much this year since we already have three quality guards.

3/07/2022 6:25 pm  #5

Good find on the Delaware-Towson game, GWMayhem.
Funny listening to "another GW transfer."
And Terry Nolan Jr. misses, Chase Paar gets the rebound and puts it in.

Board footera