GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2022 9:38 pm  #1

All Conference Teams

The official all conference teams are set to be announced tomorrow. Here are the teams as voted on by a panel of A10 Bloggers from the 3 Bid League Podcast

All-Conference First Team:
Josh Oduro, George Mason
Hyunjung Lee, Davidson
Luka Brajkovic, Davidson
Foster Loyer, Davidson
Yuri Collins, Saint Louis

All-Conference Second Team:
Vince Williams, VCU
Tyler Burton, Richmond
DaRon Holmes II, Dayton
Osun Osunniyi, St. Bonaventure
Jalen Adaway, St. Bonaventure

All-Conference Third Team:
Jacob Gilyard, Richmond
Chuba Ohams, Fordham
Kyle Lofton, St. Bonaventure
Gibson Jimerson, Saint Louis
Ace Baldwin, VCU

All-Rookie Team:
DaRon Holmes II, Dayton
Malachi Smith, Dayton
Erik Reynolds II, Saint Joseph's
Primo Spears, Duquesne
Jayden Nunn, VCU

Defensive Team:
Osun Osunniyi, St. Bonaventure
Jacob Gilyard, Richmond
Vince Williams, VCU
DaRon Holmes II, Dayton
Makhel Mitchell, Rhode Island

POTY: Josh Oduro
ROY: Da’Ron Holmes
DPOY: Osun Osunniyi
COY: Bob McKillop
6th Man: Koby Brea
MIP: Josh Oduro

3/07/2022 10:01 pm  #2

Re: All Conference Teams

James Bishop, 2nd in the conference in scoring is going to make an all league team. 

For the same reason that Oduro will win POY, being on a .500 A10 team isn't going to stop Oduro from a POY or Bishop from a top 15 spot on an all league team.

Oduro with a POY and MIP would be quite a feat.   

3/07/2022 11:18 pm  #3

Not sure it’s really a true panel of A10 bloggers  it’s three Dayton grads’ podcast and  I don’t think they included any GW fans in their voting. It’s a really, really bad last.   

The panel is so bad that one dipsh*t even put Darrius Quisenberry on the first team, 1 put Jaren Holmes on the first team, 12 left Brajkovic off the first team, and 1 dummy didn’t even have Oduro on any team. 

I’d vote for Brajkovic for POY. (I guess I could understand Oduro, but I don’t see how you can’t give it to the guy who dominated on a team that won the league with only two losses).

I’d put Williams on first team and probably Loyer second team (close between him and Lee.  Oduro, Collins, Brajkovic are locks - and it would be a massive travesty to leave Vince Williams off.)

Second team there’s a case for both Joe and James. If they get snubbed like this, it’s probably because they split votes and voters don’t want to vote for two colonials, even though they are second and third in the league. 

I would be surprised if Daron Holmes makes second team.  He’s ROY for sure; and Dayton is the two seed,  but hard to see a guy averaging 11 points and 6 boards making second team (especially when voters can already recognize him with ROY)   

As great as Osun Ossunyi has been for the Bonnies, I can’t see him as a second team player either. 11 points 6 boards.  He is the DPOY for sure, but his offensive game was down from last year (rebounds and assists down over 20%, turnovers up, scoring about the same) so either a bunch of Bonnies bloggers were voters or it’s based on his reputation from past years (or hipsters who just put him there because of defense). 

I’d have Lofton, Ohams, and one of the JBs on that second team over Holmes, Osun, and Adaway.  And then on the third team I don’t think Ace Baldwin’s 11 ppg gets him there. Out of Jimerson, Hall, and thr other JB, one or two get snubbed, but I’d probably

3/08/2022 6:02 am  #4

Free Quebec wrote:

Not sure it’s really a true panel of A10 bloggers  it’s three Dayton grads’ podcast and  I don’t think they included any GW fans in their voting. It’s a really, really bad last.

FWIW, Here’s the list of voters. It’s more than just the hosts. I realize now I worded it weird originally.

https://twitter.com/3bidleaguepod/status/1501004363795468295

I agree though that it’s a flawed panel because they did not include our very own squid!

Last edited by GW0509 (3/08/2022 6:09 am)

3/08/2022 9:14 am  #5

Looks right to me. Collins definitely the league's best PG. Davidson is head and shoulders above the rest in the standings. SBU appropriately faded.

3/08/2022 9:20 am  #6

Vince Williams not making first team would be a travesty.  Just an incredibly effective player at both ends of the floor.

3/08/2022 3:03 pm  #7

Bamasile and Bishop on the 3rd team. Brayon Freeman on the All-Rookie Team

https://gwsports.com/news/2022/3/8/mens-basketball-bamisile-bishop-freeman-earn-postseason-honors.aspx

3/08/2022 3:12 pm  #8

Congratulations to James, Joe and Brayon. Job well done by each. 

3/08/2022 3:20 pm  #9

Coaches get it right. Glad to see all the GW guys honored!

It is a little strange how VCU’s havoc gets no love on the all-defense team.

3/08/2022 3:51 pm  #10

It’s well earned, though out guys benefited from the fact that the league put SIX players on each all conf team. 

Only 3 of the 6 third team players would have made it with the usual 5 per team, though I have to say, even though it’s not traditional I don’t mind 6 players per team when there’s 14 teams in a league.

After seeing that ridiculous 3 Big League awards, I am pleasantly surprised by the awards.  Brajkovic POY is correct.   I’m a little surprised Adaway made first team (he was Bona’s leading scorer, but I don’t think he’s their best player). 

I didn’t have Holmes on second team, but makes sense. He’s way too good for our frontcourt. Usually rookies get snubbed, so I appreciate the voters honoring him (especially since he’s not a huge scorer).  I could have even seen James, Joe, or Lofton ahead of Ace Baldwin, but Baldwin is a good player on the two seed so not much complaint.

And Darrius Quisenberry, who got a first team vote from some blogger on that other list, unsurprisingly didn’t make it at all.

3/08/2022 4:03 pm  #11

Pretty incredible that Davidson has been in the A10 for 8 years and has had the POY 4 times.

3/08/2022 4:07 pm  #12

GW0509 wrote:

Pretty incredible that Davidson has been in the A10 for 8 years and has had the POY 4 times.

That must be 4 different players. Jon-Axel, Aldridge, Luka and ?  Is the 4th Jack Gibbs or Kellan Grady?

3/08/2022 4:10 pm  #13

GW0509 wrote:

All the more incredible, because for all of his success, McKillop has only taken Davidson to 2 NCAAs since he got to the A10.

2 1st round NCAA losses, 3 1st round NIT Losses, and yet they feel a lot more successful.

3/08/2022 4:30 pm  #14

Gwmayhem wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

That must be 4 different players. Jon-Axel, Aldridge, Luka and ?  Is the 4th Jack Gibbs or Kellan Grady?

I guessed Jack Gibbs as well but it was Tyler Kalinoski in 2015.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/08/2022 4:32 pm)

3/08/2022 4:37 pm  #15

The Dude wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

All the more incredible, because for all of his success, McKillop has only taken Davidson to 2 NCAAs since he got to the A10.

2 1st round NCAA losses, 3 1st round NIT Losses, and yet they feel a lot more successful.

Hopefully with the right matchup they break that streak and get a win.  They need to draw a team that won’t overwhelm them with athleticism and that doesn’t have a big who can guests Brajkovic one on one both inside and on the perimeter.

I’m hoping they draw Iowa.  Think that would be a perfect matchup for them.    That also describes Alabama, who they beat already so won’t draw them. 

3/08/2022 5:01 pm  #16

We could really use a run from someone, and perhaps its Davidson this year.

Dayton 2 years ago was destined for one but we'll never know.   Davidson doesn't have the look of an Elite 8 team but neither did Oregon St last year and it happened

Hurley won NCAA games in back to back years his final 2 seasons at Rhode Island, I think those are the league's only wins in recent years. 

3/08/2022 5:04 pm  #17

Free Quebec wrote:

The Dude wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Hopefully with the right matchup they break that streak and get a win. They need to draw a team that won’t overwhelm them with athleticism and that doesn’t have a big who can guests Brajkovic one on one both inside and on the perimeter.

I’m hoping they draw Iowa. Think that would be a perfect matchup for them. That also describes Alabama, who they beat already so won’t draw them.

I realize that every year/team is different but am pretty sure that Davidson recently played Iowa at the dance and Iowa was up by around 40 at some point.  Same coaches.

Tyler Kalinoski!  Just wow.  Both Gibbs and Grady never won it.  Full disclosure:  I could have guessed all day and still would not have come up with Kalinoski.  That's an amazing piece of trivia.

3/08/2022 5:52 pm  #18

GW0509 wrote:

I was shocked to see no VCU Players on the all-defense team. Don't they have a top-10 defense (either in steals or generally, I'm not sure which).

3/08/2022 6:28 pm  #19

MG14 wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

I was shocked to see no VCU Players on the all-defense team. Don't they have a top-10 defense (either in steals or generally, I'm not sure which).

It's called lazy voters who are doing very little more than looking up the very top of the leaderboards.  Vince Williams, a 6' 6" forward, is 6th in the conference in steals and 13th in blocked shots.  The only other player in the top 13 at both of these categories is Ricky Lindo who finished 8th at both.  Rather than vote for complete defenders, they vote for the very top shot blockers or the very best guys at generating steals.  VCU has 3 guys in the top 13 at steals and 3 guys in the top 16 at blocks.  They had the second best scoring defense, .2 points behind Dayton.  

The fact is that a case could easily be made for both Vince and Ricky to have made this team.  Because they do everything well (defensively) but not any one thing exceptionally well, they did not.

3/08/2022 7:02 pm  #20

So, we have been looking for reasons for encouragement all season (especially since that trip to California). While the team´s play has improved, looking forward the real encouragement is that GW will return three players with all-A10 honours next season (one assumes). That, more than this season´s losing record in conference play, is the positive to take from this season. Now, if only someone/anyone with size would learn how to move their feet to defend in the paint I would actually entertain optimism...

Board footera