GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2022 5:26 pm  #161

Re: 2022 Transfer Targets

Elijah Olaniyi from Stony Brook is in the portal.  He spent two years at Stony Brook, then played his Junior year at Miami with Caputo before transferring back.  I’m assuming he’s a grad transfer so wouldn’t have to sit out.

He averaged 10 and 5 there. Missed most of this season at stony brook with injury. 

I would say somewhat similar of a player to Brendan Adams, maybe a little better scorer/more physical.  Nothing public to link us to him- I’m only posting because Caputo coached him at Miami.

4/25/2022 4:16 pm  #162

Louisville transfer Matt Cross has committed to UMass, per his IG page.

UMass now with 5 high-major transfers while we sit at 0. I know it's still early but getting a little impatient with the lack of news while our competition seems to bringing in guy after guy

4/25/2022 4:25 pm  #163

Yeah, definitely getting ridiculous. We are not going to be able to field even the semblance of a competitive team at this rate.

4/25/2022 5:38 pm  #164

Jay Heath portal.  He played his high school ball at Wilson high (now Jackson-Reed) with Ricky Lindo.  Wonder if he wants to come home.

4/25/2022 6:44 pm  #165

I am also on the Getting A Little Impatient Bus. Isn't the expectation that Caputo have a better first-year record than JC did? Because it's all about transfers now in college basketball, not developing players, that should be a very reachable goal for our new coach

4/25/2022 7:16 pm  #166

I’m on the will the softball team win the conference tournament again this year bus. Worrying about Caputo putting together a staff and team seems pointless at this time. He will and we’ll find out how it works out in the fall. No idea if the names being bandied about here can even get through the academic gatekeepers. I get that people are antsy but if most here weren’t satisfied with the Christian Era, then just take a step back and see what follows. Does anyone really think Caputo is sitting at home practicing the fight song hand motions?

4/25/2022 7:36 pm  #167

MG14, CAM and GW73...I'm with all of you, Caputo and the staff needs to start making some moves!!! I understand that it's just late April and the 2022-2023 season is a long ways away, but we're seeing lots of schools picking up transfers while GW doesn't appear to be doing anything! With the vast numbers of transfers we see each year, coaches MUST start scouring the transfer portal/setting up visits immediately after the season ends or immediately after they get hired like Frank Martin has done! How many open scholarships does/did UMass have..20!! LOL

FQ,  I'm also interested to see what Jay Heath will do because he's been a double-digit scorer/starter at 2 BCS schools at Boston College and then Arizona State. He'll have BCS interest because he's been a productive player in college, but does he want to continue at another BCS school and be a starter/secondary scorer or come home to GW where he could have a featured role with James Bishop!! If J.Heath did come to GW, maybe he could convince Ricky Lindo to return.

4/25/2022 10:06 pm  #168

I posted this a few times several weeks ago,  but as illustrated at Miami, if you don’t take the time to understand the Collective component of NIL, you are missing a huge piece of any transfer discussion. 

Collectives are often and typically entirely separate from the official school.  Kids will not make decisions on where to transfer without also considering their NIL/collective opportunities.  They’d be fools not to and the market is evolving every day. 

P5 money programs with huge boosters have a massive advantage over schools like GW.  Some kid that might consider coming here over a lesser P5 school still can now potentially pull in tens of thousands at such schools if they wait to see how collectives are expanding and offering more  NIL money.  I guarantee that JoeBam knew that some significant dollars would be coming his way at Oklahoma.  Mid-majors will get creamed unless there is a vibrant/giving alumni collective community in place. Dayton probably can do this and new collectives likely forming as you read this.

I encourage you to read a lot more about collectives —not to discourage you, but to keep your expectations in check. This is a new world that we are not yet (ever?) ready to play in.

4/26/2022 5:44 am  #169

Merrick wrote:

I posted this a few times several weeks ago,  but as illustrated at Miami, if you don’t take the time to understand the Collective component of NIL, you are missing a huge piece of any transfer discussion. 

Collectives are often and typically entirely separate from the official school.  Kids will not make decisions on where to transfer without also considering their NIL/collective opportunities.  They’d be fools not to and the market is evolving every day. 

P5 money programs with huge boosters have a massive advantage over schools like GW.  Some kid that might consider coming here over a lesser P5 school still can now potentially pull in tens of thousands at such schools if they wait to see how collectives are expanding and offering more  NIL money.  I guarantee that JoeBam knew that some significant dollars would be coming his way at Oklahoma.  Mid-majors will get creamed unless there is a vibrant/giving alumni collective community in place. Dayton probably can do this and new collectives likely forming as you read this.

I encourage you to read a lot more about collectives —not to discourage you, but to keep your expectations in check. This is a new world that we are not yet (ever?) ready to play in.

Thx Merrill! I’ll only add that GW is limited by the players that THINK they are in line for real money. Cleared eyed honesty is not a widely held trait. Especially with zero track record on how this shakes out.

So as torturous as it is for fans not to  have any new signings GW would be ridiculous to focus on high schoolers allowing them to be window shopped. Transfers have to sit out a year and that creates a tiny opportunity to create and hang onto a nucleus.

IMO this is where GW’s lack of school spirit really hurts. 1. Money. More school spirit/fandom and this NIL thing would be a big topic. 2. After a real screw up in Athletics it’s never peasants and pitchforks. Oh a clot of us locked in the attic goes nuts to our detriment. Everywhere else itsa desert retreat.

4/26/2022 6:10 am  #170

FredD wrote:

IMO this is where GW’s lack of school spirit really hurts. 1. Money. More school spirit/fandom and this NIL thing would be a big topic. 2. After a real screw up in Athletics it’s never peasants and pitchforks. Oh a clot of us locked in the attic goes nuts to our detriment. Everywhere else itsa desert retreat.

I was going to post something similar this morning.  The thing about NIL is it's outside of the AD's office. Fans no longer have the usual scapegoat.  In the past, alums would donate to the program and have to trust the AD spends the money wisely. Now, you could have a complete dunce as an AD and a passionate fan base will still be able to funnel those donations directly to the players instead.  Hearing a kid like Oscar Tshiebwe is thinking about turning pro?  Start a fundraising drive to offer him $2 million in "marketing opportunities" to stay at Kentucky.  Want someone like Brayon Freeman to stay at GW?  Maybe $100k gets him to turn down URI.

In a way NIL is actually quite democratizing. All it takes is either one stupidly rich alum or a pool of slightly rich but passionate alums to entice talented players to play for your alma mater.  I’m sure $100k to every GW player would make the lack of a dedicated practice facility disappear as a constraint on recruiting.

Given our meager alumni giving rates I highly doubt we ever see GW fans get serious about starting a NIL collective.  We'll just hope to get lucky like we've done the last 15 odd years and grumble when our A-10 foes poach our best players after our next winning season.

Last edited by GW0509 (4/26/2022 8:19 am)

4/26/2022 8:43 am  #171

What this is going to do is that much of the giving directly to the program will instead go to some NIL collectives.  The school raised $12,500 for the program on its latest Giving Day (out of $1.6m total). I can easily see that money and more going into an NIL bucket even if we are mildly successful.

4/26/2022 12:56 pm  #172

While on the subject of not getting players for next season, yesterday we at least got one assistant announced.  Still lots of room on the bench for coaches and players --  not to mention players on the floor.

4/26/2022 6:04 pm  #173

GW0509 wrote:

No longer in the running for Mr. Sylla’s services

@AdamZagoria
@sekousylla31 , a 6-foot-5 wing from Brooklyn who averaged  22.6 points on 58.4 percent shooting to go along with 10. 5 rebounds per game and was the D2CCA National Player of the Year, is transferring and is down to:

High Point, UMBC, Towson and St. Bonaventure.

Towson.

Towson also picked up former Seton Hall and one time GW recruit PG Ryan Conway.

Skerry doing some work in the Portal

4/26/2022 6:15 pm  #174

Florida Colonial wrote:

[color=inherit]jake lieberman[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2]@jakelieberman2·3m Patriot League Rookie of the Year transfer Kyrell Luc (@kyrellluc213) tells me that he's been in contact with St. Bonaventure, George Washington, UIC, Davidson, Northeastern, & Cal. -13 PPG -36% from three -Season high of 24 points -Put up double-digits in 23 games

Bonnies

4/27/2022 12:58 pm  #175

Some rumors out there that GW, St Bonnie, and VCU are all making a push for Xavier’s Ben Stanley.  He averaged 22 and 7 his last year at Hampton, but has been plagued by injuries during his two years at Xavier so barely was able to play.  Assuming he’s healthy, he’d give us some toughness and scoring (no idea if Lindo’s return impacts).

4/28/2022 2:15 pm  #176

Stanley to ODU

4/28/2022 4:27 pm  #177

BM wrote:

Stanley to ODU

Wonder if Lindo’s return impacted that.  Or, given that he started at Hampton, maybe he just wanted to go back to the area.

4/28/2022 7:30 pm  #178

Virginia Tech forward David N’Guessan in the portal.  SJU was a finalist out of HS when Coach Straughn was there.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/david-nguessan-1.html

4/29/2022 7:51 am  #179

If I was retired, forming an NIL Collective of GW boosters might become my full-time "hobby".  Here's a great article below re Wichita State demonstrating how mid-major collectives are critical going forward. I would also add this tracker below to your browser favorites.  Alternatively, just simply Google "NIL AND Collective AND basketball" every day. 

BGF, I say the following not to insult other posters, but as a wake up call for good discussion.  Anyone who discusses player movement of solid D-1/P-5/mid-major talent, whether in recruting or the transfer portal, without also giving some weight to NIL into player considerations, is blowing smoke out of their ass.  This is the new world of college sports.  Sadly, IMHO, I'd expect GW Atheletics to be far more concerned in keeping dollars flowing into their pockets as opposed to players or external organizations.   

NIL collective inks first deal, Shocker PG Craig Porter returning to Wichita State (kwch.com)

Tracker: University-Specific NIL Collectives (businessofcollegesports.com)

(BGF comment: No offense taken.  I agree with you!)

Last edited by BGF (4/29/2022 9:54 am)

4/29/2022 9:18 am  #180

Norte Dame’s Elijah Taylor in the portal.  Was A MoJo recruit.  Didn’t really play much for Brey

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/elijah-taylor-1.html

Board footera