GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2022 11:46 pm  #1

Auto Bids By Head Coach NCAA History

Mark Few 17
Adolph Rupp 16
John Wooden 15
John Calipari 15
Coach K    15

3/09/2022 8:43 am  #2

Re: Auto Bids By Head Coach NCAA History

Interesting stat, Dude, but somewhat misleading.  Not saying that Few isn't a great coach nor that Gonzaga isn't a truly outstanding program, but the competition Gonzaga faces in league isn't of the same caliber as the top-tier leagues.

That being said, I'm confident that if Gonzaga had moved to the Pac 10/12 a decade ago, they would likely still have 5 auto-bids during that time.  

3/09/2022 9:28 am  #3

Very impressive. To put it in a GW context, here are the auto bids by GW head coaches:

Bill Reinhart - 2
Karl Hobbs - 2
All other coaches in GW history - 0

3/09/2022 10:10 am  #4

Barry, with all due respect, if you think The Dude did not already know that his post is "somewhat misleading", you really haven't been paying much attention.

3/09/2022 10:28 am  #5

I actually don't think it is that misleading. Yes, the competition is tougher in the power 5 conferences, but the power 5 conferences also have significant advantages in terms of recruiting and retaining talent. There is not equality within D1, but there should be general equality within each conference. If it was so much easier to win auto bids in smaller conferences, why is Few the only smaller conference coach in the list above?

3/09/2022 10:38 am  #6

DC Native wrote:

I actually don't think it is that misleading. Yes, the competition is tougher in the power 5 conferences, but the power 5 conferences also have significant advantages in terms of recruiting and retaining talent. There is not equality within D1, but there should be general equality within each conference. If it was so much easier to win auto bids in smaller conferences, why is Few the only smaller conference coach in the list above?

Of course, the counter argument to this is how many smaller conference coaches who are very successful stay at that school as long as Few has? Gonzaga is a unicorn among non Power 5 college jobs in that it can retain a coach at a very high salary (i.e. not a steppingstone position). Don't think there is a non-power conference similar to the WCC that has a school like Gonzaga in it. 

3/09/2022 10:48 am  #7

John Cheney coached at Temple for 24 years, and McKillop has been at Davidson for 33 years. I'm not sure how many auto bids they had, but I'm sure its quite a bit less than Few. I am sure there are other examples of great coaches that stayed at schools in smaller conferences for many years as well.

3/09/2022 10:55 am  #8

BTW, I'm not saying Mark Few is the greatest coach in men's college basketball history, just arguing that the accomplishment should not be dismissed either.

3/09/2022 10:58 am  #9

Rising has this right.  It's more than just a coach having a long tenure.  It's the coaching salaries, the facilities, the recruiting budgets, etc.  Also, the A10 has always had schools who were financially able to compete against Temple (your other example, McKillop, is interesting in that his salary has always been well below market rate, which was a trade-off for having your home paid for, complete job security, and a court named after you).  This made it far more difficult for a school like Temple to dominate year in and year out.  By contrast, for many years, Gonzaga was the only WCC school who spent anywhere near what it would take to compete against the top majors.  St. Mary's eventually attempted to close the gap and today, others are following suit (hence, a much stronger conference today than what it formerly was).  Even with other WCC schools now trying to compete, they are still nowhere near where Gonzaga is in every sense.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (3/09/2022 11:00 am)

3/09/2022 11:00 am  #10

Temple played in a much tougher conference than WCC. Davidson was in a similar conference (Southern) but moved to the A-10 eight seasons ago. But you can't compare Davidson to Gonzaga both in fan support and revenues. Plus Dan Monson set Few up with a stellar program that he inherited. Again Gonzaga is a unicorn.

3/09/2022 11:02 am  #11

DC Native wrote:

BTW, I'm not saying Mark Few is the greatest coach in men's college basketball history, just arguing that the accomplishment should not be dismissed either.

No one is dismissing it just saying it is not as impressive as if it were done in a Power 5 Conference. The others immediately below him on the list had a much tougher road.

3/09/2022 11:08 am  #12

GWRising wrote:

DC Native wrote:

No one is dismissing it just saying it is not as impressive as if it were done in a Power 5 Conference. The others immediately below him on the list had a much tougher road.

I agree with you on Rupp, Wooden, and Coach K, but not so much on Calipari. I think Few is probably a better coach than him.

3/09/2022 11:48 am  #13

DC Native wrote:

Very impressive. To put it in a GW context, here are the auto bids by GW head coaches:

Bill Reinhart - 2
Karl Hobbs - 2
All other coaches in GW history - 0

Excellent point. Was it easier for Mike Jarvis who had 0, for all his success than power leagues?  I'd say no

Barry if it's so much easier for Few how come the rest of the list is all blue bloods?  I'd say they have it easiest.  Martelli got St Joe's very briefly to this Gonzaga level and then never again. Not easy at all to sustain this kind of dominance

Same with that 2020 Dayton team, then right down to Earth from a 1 seed to the bubble.

Who else but Few has accomplished anything remotely similar at a non power school??

far easier at a blue blood

Last edited by The Dude (3/09/2022 11:59 am)

3/09/2022 12:10 pm  #14

DC Native wrote:

Exactly. That's a question that never seems to get answered

3/09/2022 12:33 pm  #15

The Dude wrote:

DC Native wrote:

Exactly. That's a question that never seems to get answered

Dude, the question was answered. There are very few guys who coach at a smaller school for 17 years. They are either fired or move on to bigger schools.

3/09/2022 2:15 pm  #16

There are many Coaches who stayed decades with the same non Power school, in our league alone 3-4 come to mind including several listed above.

Few, in  his 23 season, has 17 conference tourney titles and 21 WCC titles.  The other guys on the list who he has surpassed have 10-20 more years as Coaches. 

Having just turned 59, Few may double this # before its all said and done.

Here's a list of longest tenured Coaches (from a few years ago)
Kampe 34 years Oakland, Byrd 32 years Belmont, McKillop 29 years Davidson, Cottrell 26 years Houston, Martelli 23 years St Joes, OHanlon 23 years Lafayette, James Jones 19 years Yale. 
Randy Bennett is next at 17 years in Few's league and his #1 rival.  (now 22 years in a row) 

https://herosports.com/longest-tenured-coaches-division-1-mens-basketball-byby/

Last edited by The Dude (3/09/2022 2:24 pm)

3/09/2022 3:10 pm  #17

The Dude wrote:

There are many Coaches who stayed decades with the same non Power school, in our league alone 3-4 come to mind including several listed above.

Few, in  his 23 season, has 17 conference tourney titles and 21 WCC titles.  The other guys on the list who he has surpassed have 10-20 more years as Coaches. 

Having just turned 59, Few may double this # before its all said and done.

Here's a list of longest tenured Coaches (from a few years ago)
Kampe 34 years Oakland, Byrd 32 years Belmont, McKillop 29 years Davidson, Cottrell 26 years Houston, Martelli 23 years St Joes, OHanlon 23 years Lafayette, James Jones 19 years Yale. 
Randy Bennett is next at 17 years in Few's league and his #1 rival.  (now 22 years in a row) 

https://herosports.com/longest-tenured-coaches-division-1-mens-basketball-byby/

Seriously Dude, do you even read what you type? You listed 6 guys with a tenure as long or longer than Few. Do you know how many non-Power 5 conference basketball schools there are? I will tell you - about 280. So it's very good you found 6 guys out of 280 or about 2%. Nothing like using the exception to try to invalidate the rule.

3/09/2022 3:13 pm  #18

Coach K was the Coach of a non power school for 5 years.  Year 2, 20-8,  Year  5, 9-17.

3 years into his Duke tenure he was 11-17 there, year 3 after a 17-13 year 1.

K got to Duke in 1980, in 1978 they were the National Runner up, the year he arrived they had just been to the Elite 8 in 79/80

Gonzaga in contrast had 1 trip in their entire history as a 14 seed in 1995 round 1 loss, before 1999.

From 99- present 23 straight NCAA trips, 39 NCAA Tourney wins, 2 Finals, 22 of them and 36 wins with Few as Head Coach, the other 3 wins Few sas the top recruiter Associate Head Coach for the miracle Elite 8 run

Its a career unparalleled in NCAA history.   There are hundreds of non power schools, no one has come close to anything like this for 20+ years.

Last edited by The Dude (3/09/2022 3:26 pm)

3/09/2022 3:46 pm  #19

Brad Stevens was on his way at Butler, but decided to leave for the NBA.

3/09/2022 4:00 pm  #20

And if you go back further than 20 years, Jerry Tarkanian coached for 31 seasons at Long Beach State, UNLV, and Fresno State and took these mid majors to the NCAA Tourney 18 times, including 4 Final Fours and a National Championship. In his 31 years of coaching he never had a losing record.

Board footera