GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2022 1:49 pm  #101

Re: Jamion Christian is out at George Washington, sources told ESPN.

GWRising wrote:

Just so everyone is aware ... a waiver is available to anyone when the Coach is let go regardless of previous transfer status. I assume the West LOI will be released. It is possible that any or all of the current players could depart. 

I know this to be true of new, incoming players to a program like West or Harvey.  And with new rules in place, anyone who has not transferred yet can do so without sitting out.  But does this waiver also apply to James, Joe, Brendan, Qwanzi, and Hunter...guys who have already transferred once in their college careers?

3/15/2022 1:58 pm  #102

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Just so everyone is aware ... a waiver is available to anyone when the Coach is let go regardless of previous transfer status. I assume the West LOI will be released. It is possible that any or all of the current players could depart. 

I know this to be true of new, incoming players to a program like West or Harvey.  And with new rules in place, anyone who has not transferred yet can do so without sitting out.  But does this waiver also apply to James, Joe, Brendan, Qwanzi, and Hunter...guys who have already transferred once in their college careers?

My understanding is that it does or more accurately, would be granted on appeal. In any event, GW is unlikely to try to hold any player against his wishes regardless of previous transfer status.

3/15/2022 2:25 pm  #103

Keeping Brayon would be very helpful because as a freshman he clearly changed the nature of the team and could drive and dish, etc.
Keeping the entire Big 3 only matters if they can play together and we get a more effective inside presence, whose obvious and clear lack contributed to JC's record and demise. 
  We had the Big 3 this year and look what it brought us. We need a coach who can make the talents, great at times, not so great at times (as evidenced by last minutes of A-10 tournament), gel.
As an example, Dayton had something like 9 or 10 freshmen new players-- and should have been in the NCAA tournament.

3/15/2022 3:11 pm  #104

Rising, I feel your disappointment. I've been angry since the Fall of 2016. JC will rebound from this and get his shot again. JC probably knows now just how deep our administrations incompetence.

0509, firing JC does absolutely nothing except to continue this misery for another 3-4 years. Tanya is the problem. Our entire athletic department sucks these last 3-4 years with her at the helm. Now she gets to hire another bad pick (because nobody else at the school cares or wants to be associated with this department). The Knapp/Maltzman/Nero curse continues!

3/15/2022 5:09 pm  #105

I think this was a really tough call without an easy answer.  When looking at pros and cons of making this move, leaving money out of the equation, my main thoughts are as follows:

Pros of Keeping JC:  While the train may not yet be firmly on the tracks, it was moving closer towards that direction.  There was an upgrade in talent even though this may have been masked at times by the vulnerable deficiencies this team had.  

Cons of Keeping JC:  If you've become convinced that he's not the right person for this job, better to cut your losses.  We went down this road with MoJo, keeping him definitely one and arguably two more years than was warranted.  No point in making the same mistake if you're convinced that JC isn't up to the challenge.

Pros of Replacing JC:  A(nother) new start.  New staff, new vision.  Hopefully, faster starts to seasons which could translate to greater attendance and overall excitement for the program.

Cons of Replacing JC:  Another new start.  Three coaching staffs in 5 seasons.  Four coaching staffs in 10 seasons.  Lack of program continuity and stability.  Fan base grows increasingly impatient to turn things around.

In short, GW made the right move if they became convinced that JC was not the right guy.  However, unlike the very inexperienced MoJo, I believe this was a much more difficult call to make.  Do I honestly think that JC was or was not the right guy?  I really don't know.  What I do know is that he appeared on his way towards becoming that right guy.  And after just 3 seasons, I'm not convinced that the 4th season would be "more of the same as the first 3", making this decision a just one.  I think JC and his staff deserved another year to get that train back on the tracks.  It was by no means a given that he wouldn't have.

3/15/2022 5:38 pm  #106

There was a large study done a few years back that concluded that losing teams who regularly fire and replace coaches don't necessarily fare that better than ones who stick with their existing coaches.  The thing with JC is there just seemed to be times where it was painfully clear that he was not going to get to that place where he was a great bench coach.  So I could see that as a reason regardless of an improvement in the W-L and A-10 standings etc.  

TV and GW need to get lucky and find a coach who takes the program on their back and can land recruits and be a great play caller during games and make proper adjustments.  I actually think GW has lucked out on some coaches before with MJ, KH, and ML.  Sure they all had their ups and downs, but those 3 guys made some noise, and they added a lot of value to GW as a school at the peaks of their careers.

So a third time is a charm I guess, Mojo, JC and now hopefully a great find.  The program needs some great luck right now in finding a coach who is ready and able to come here and bring a program back from the dead and make something happen.

3/15/2022 6:30 pm  #107

Thank you for that happy news

3/16/2022 8:20 am  #108

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Joe-Bamisile-basketball-transfer-George-Washington-Virginia-Tech-184526953/

Bamisile is leaving.

Still think firing Jamion after this year was a mistake. I would've given him one more year with the core 3 and seen what bigs he could have landed from the portal.

3/17/2022 11:37 am  #109

Cutis and I have been following the team for the same length of time. I was not going to renew my seats either were Christian to return. Now I will. I only hope that GW makes the right choice this time--it rarely does. Spend the money needed to bring a proven, quality guy in!!! 

3/17/2022 12:13 pm  #110

Very interesting that several of our most dedicated fans, including those known for thoughtfulness, have said they were ready to quietly give up their tickets rather than see another year of the disjointed play we have seen.
  Wonder if some big donor/fan voices for this helped sway the very right decision?

3/17/2022 3:32 pm  #111

I can tell you there are a number of folks who feel exactly the opposite as well including some very long-time supporters and donors who have had enough of the constant turmoil and change surrounding the program even if they were unsure of whether JC eventually would right the ship. Some of these folks have already expressed their views and others are in the process of doing so. Don't assume this move was universally loved or supported.  

3/17/2022 6:25 pm  #112

GWRising wrote:

I can tell you there are a number of folks who feel exactly the opposite as well including some very long-time supporters and donors who have had enough of the constant turmoil and change surrounding the program even if they were unsure of whether JC eventually would right the ship. Some of these folks have already expressed their views and others are in the process of doing so. Don't assume this move was universally loved or supported.  

Doesn’t surprise me that their are folks on the other side of the question. The toughest thing to access IMO is the pandemic in the wake of the post NIT debacle. What’s the line at GW bt fact and excuse? I don’t know?

3/21/2022 8:23 am  #113

4/01/2022 2:12 pm  #114

I wasn't sure where to post this as it was unfair to hijack the Caputo thread and I didn't think this deserved a thread of its own. So I guess this is as good as any place. ...

Over the last 31 years I’ve had the opportunity to meet some great people associated with GW basketball and the athletic department. Some have become lifelong friends.  I chose GW basketball as I did not attend GW undergrad. I could have easily selected Georgetown or Maryland as they were the far more popular teams when I arrived in D.C. But there was something endearing about the upstart program that GW was and the people involved.

I’ve done everything I can within my means over the years to support the program whether it was donating significant sums to the athletic department, volunteering to help mentor players or just being a resource to coaches and ADs. I have religiously defended the coaches and the athletic department where I thought the criticism was over the top or completely unwarranted. This has ruffled feathers here and in other places no doubt but I thought coaches and the athletic department deserve some voice here too.

I’ve relished the highs (Sweet 16, NIT Championship, A-10 Championships) and endured through the lows (the terminations of Karl Hobbs and Mike Lonergan, Omargate, etc.). I was in attendance whether we won or lost but never conditioning my support on the W-L record. Never once did I think that I would ever reach the point where I would say enough is enough. Unfortunately, the events of the past few weeks have now led me to that point.

The GW that I see now is no longer the place that I came to like. I’ve seen a good coach (ML) ruined by false accusations and a successful program essentially burned to the ground. I’ve seen a coach (JC) undermined internally by those angry that they didn’t get their way. I’ve watched the University travel down the road of becoming a place that promotes symbolism over substance, treats people as expendable pawns, and allows those in power to treat athletics like their own fiefdom. I’ve watched GW claim poverty when it comes to resources for its athletics programs but pay millions to coaches and administrators not to work.

I don’t expect for a minute that GW should hire or retain a coach that I like or prefer. First of all, I don’t give enough to have that kind of pull. But most importantly, it‘s not for me to decide. But I do expect that when they hire a coach that they treat them decently and support them in a way for them to be successful. For varying reasons (too lengthy to get into here and which have been oft-stated before), I don’t believe that any of the past three coaches have been treated decently or supported to the degree necessary.

I have no problems with Chris Caputo. I don’t know him that well and he may be a great hire who will be very successful.  I wish all of you and new Coach Caputo the best of luck. Hopefully, the GW program will get to where you all want it to go. I begrudge no one who wants to continue to support GW into the future.

But for me, this is the end of the line. The developments and revelations over the past several weeks (and years) are simply a bridge too far for me. I hope you all can respect that even if you don’t agree with it.  All the best to each of you.

4/01/2022 2:30 pm  #115

Shit…. I’m really sad to see you go, GWRising. I’m a lurker here and don’t post much, but I have always enjoyed your insights into the program.

4/01/2022 2:41 pm  #116

Same here, enjoyed the inside info and waiting for the pending news we knew was coming.  BTW, will we ever know who the name of the recruit who was scheduled to commit the week JC was fired?

4/01/2022 2:42 pm  #117

Well said Rising.
We have disagreed on occasion but I always enjoyed and respected your unique insights into the program over 3 decades.
You hung in there 6 years longer than most of the GW long time fans. I'm still amazed how few fans come to this site compared to where we were just 6 years ago and with a history over 100 years in the making.
I will continue to lurk and occasionally post with the hope that we may one day be relevant again in college basketball before I enter the gates of heaven.
I just hope I'm not saying "I told you so" again 3 years from now.
Raise High (just a little bit)

4/01/2022 2:44 pm  #118

Truly one of the most beautifully written heartfelt “fuck you” literature I’ve ever read.I seem to remember 
somewhere in the past week on one of these threads that Mayhem believed that GW Rising would get
on board if CC was hired.Guess not.I’m sure,as a casual fan,I am much more able to stomach the inner
machinations of the administration-but really? The only thing that outweighs his obvious sincerity is his 
dis-owned grandiosity.

Last edited by GW69 (4/01/2022 3:12 pm)

4/01/2022 3:44 pm  #119

Very sad yet also understandable to read GWRising's post.  While we have been at odds in the past on certain issues, I feel we've been on the same side more often than not.  I attribute this to our shared desire to see this program prosper.

I was not aware that Rising hadn't gone to school at GW.  Earlier today, I was having a conversation (with a fellow NY sports fan) about whether it's acceptable, let alone possible, to switch your allegiance from one sports team to another if you've been disappointed enough.  We concluded that it's practically impossible, particularly if your fandom was the result of your parent or parents first showing devotion to that team.  While we were talking about pro sports, I see the same dilemma when you're referring to one's own alma mater.  Perhaps in the case of Rising, he can freely walk away from this program due at least in part because he was not a student.  Having never been in this position of supporting a school that I (or my family) had not gone to, I really can't put myself in his shoes.

As much as I'll miss the inside information that Rising consistently shares here, I'll miss his devotion to the program even more.  Yes, his tireless defense of all coaches was very tiresome to some of us at times, and his condescending "what teams have you ever coached" type quips  could strike me at times as being everything from pointless to juvenile.  However, I can honestly say that when it came to this program, his heart was always in the right place.  

What's driving him from this program is not an isolated incident.  It's a 6 year clusterfuck that probably began when Mike Lonergan's team had to bus home in the middle of the night after winning the NIT because the school would not pay for one additional night's worth of hotel rooms, and continued through the premature firing of a coaching staff who should have received one additional year to prove themselves, in favor of a CFO's choice which apparently won the day over among others, the school's athletic director.

Can't say I am happy about GWRising's decision.  But he is more than entitled to make it, and without any question, I completely understand it.  The very best to you as well GWRising.

4/01/2022 5:15 pm  #120

I had no idea about NIT Championship Team having to "leave" the party to get on a bus because the school was too cheap to put them up in a hotel. I was at that game and always wondered why we didn't see players/coaches/family partying it up with us at the local joints around MSG that night. Now I know why.

I do remember Nero trying to get GW to reject the NIT bid after we didn't make the tourney that year. Thankfully the GW Admin made the right decision and rejected his advice for once. I remember hearing ML threatened to go public with everything that had been going on that year with Nero if they followed his recommendation. Can you imagine if Nero won and we never would have won our only team national post season championship in school history? 
I wonder what asst AD Tanya Vogel's thoughts were on that topic back in March of 2016?

Board footera