GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2022 3:40 pm  #181

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

Mentzinger wrote:

I'd take Frank Martin (umASS rumors) or Ben Howland in a second. Two coaches with Final Four experience. I'm pretty shocked Mizzou didn't go with Kim English but glad, since that would have created even more competition for us. On paper, Mason probably a better job than GW at this point.

1) Disagree about Mason bring a better job.  Their arena is a dump and their school doesn’t have a ton to sell, at least not compared to GW.  Probably the only advantage over GW is lower academic standards to get guys admitted.

2) It’s been said before but if you are going to hire a Martin or Howland on the way down, you’d better due your due diligence to make sure they wouldn’t act like Karl Hobbs in terms of focusing on the negatives and disadvantages compared to what they are used to, rather than focusing on the strengths.

3/21/2022 4:30 pm  #182

I'm no fan of George Mason but calling their 10,000 seat arena a dump is simply ridiculous. 

3/21/2022 4:49 pm  #183

FQ, you are living in the last decade. GW Men's Basketball is now a perennial bottom feeder in the A-10 and has been after Mojo's 1st year (with Cavs, Yuta and company). 

Mason, with their current AD, blows away GW as far as attractiveness to those in the business.

3/21/2022 5:22 pm  #184

moneybox wrote:

I'm no fan of George Mason but calling their 10,000 seat arena a dump is simply ridiculous. 

It’s really a 7,860 seat arena for basketball, but yes it’s a dump.  When was the last time you were there?   Smith center may be a lot smaller, but it’s about 100x nicer.

3/21/2022 6:29 pm  #185

The Patriot Center has all the charm of an abandoned shopping mall repurposed to be a music venue, only with crummy acoustics and in an area that resembles what happens when people flee to the suburbs because their city neighborhood has become too diverse. That said, it does have a pretty impressive piece of drapery hanging from the celling that the Smith Center lacks...

3/21/2022 10:15 pm  #186

I was at EagleBank Arena when GW lost to Mason a couple of weeks ago. As for the dump part, I noticed several food stand all around the facility Compare that to GW's two--sometimes one-- food "emporiums." One other thing now that we're talking about Mason. GW won the first 10 games against Mason. Check our record against them since that time.  A sad commentary on where this program really is!!!

3/22/2022 3:53 am  #187

Like it or hate it, they have to be averaging more fans than the pathetic 500 or less I saw on ESPN plus in that "superior" Smith Center. A prettier empty arena doesn't help our players none...

3/22/2022 6:14 am  #188

3/22/2022 7:19 am  #189

Here is the tweet that Mike K posted the link to along with another interesting one from the same source    

[color=inherit]Samurai Hoops[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/samurai_hoops]@samurai_hoops·14h Caputo deeply tied to Team Takeover and Keith Stevens, wife political lobbyist with deep ties to DC @CurryHicksSageQuote Tweet    

[color=inherit]Curry In A Search Induced Haze[/color] @CurryHicksSage· =inherit14hReplying to @samurai_hoops
First two would both be really solid. Williford better plugged into DMV though I think GW can cast a fairly wide net recruiting wise and Caputo would be very solid as well. Feel like Jim should give him Miami if they make a run here.       

[color=inherit]Samurai Hoops[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/samurai_hoops]@samurai_hoops·14h Caputo with a significant lead according to our sources, heavy Miami ties in GW admin, Caputo + wife heavy ties to DC… Williford at UVA trying to make late push, ties to area as well. James Jones the third horse in race.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/22/2022 7:20 am)

3/22/2022 8:24 am  #190

Mason is a Final Four legacy, easier admissions, larger arena, probably pays more. GW has a "nicer" arena, probably more NBA/pro players, and is winning the all-time series.
It's close but I think coaching candidates would look at the two and chose Mason, with our Eye Stabbing AD the differentiator.

3/22/2022 9:59 am  #191

From HoopDirt.com
Nothing new other than the addition of "a current Big Ten assistant"

Name that I’ve heard at George Washington include Yale’s James Jones, Miami associate head coach Chris Caputo, former Louisville interim head coach Mike Pegues, and a current Big Ten assistant.

3/22/2022 10:18 am  #192

Florida Colonial wrote:

, and a current Big Ten assistant.

Phil Martelli to GW confirmed. Just kidding!

Could also mean KH or TJ Thompson 🤔

But in reality may be Adam Fisher from Penn State who has Miami ties

Last edited by GW0509 (3/22/2022 10:22 am)

3/22/2022 10:22 am  #193

Florida Colonial wrote:

From HoopDirt.com

Name that I’ve heard at George Washington include Yale’s James Jones, Miami associate head coach Chris Caputo, former Louisville interim head coach Mike Pegues, and a current Big Ten assistant.

If I were to bet Danny Manning.is in the mix.

Last edited by GWRising (3/22/2022 10:36 am)

3/22/2022 10:46 am  #194

GWRising wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

From HoopDirt.com

Dear GW Administration,

If you want to restore faith and hope in GW basketball, please don’t hire a coach with a career .450 winning percentage as a head coach.  He may be one of the best college basketball players or all time, but so is Patrick Ewing and look how well that is working out.

3/22/2022 10:52 am  #195

Free Quebec wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

From HoopDirt.com

Dear GW Administration,

If you want to restore faith and hope in GW basketball, please don’t hire a coach with a career .450 winning percentage as a head coach. He may be one of the best college basketball players or all time, but so is Patrick Ewing and look how well that is working out.

Never ever underestimate GW's apparent need to win the press conference after so much bad publicity.

Last edited by GWRising (3/22/2022 10:53 am)

3/22/2022 11:05 am  #196

There is a reason why most great players do not go on to become great coaches.  This is often attributed to these coaches failing to understand why most players are incapable of exhibiting the same work ethic and talent level as they had.  As a result, these coaches often lack patience with their personnel.  There are exceptions to be sure but by and large, it's nothing but a frustrating experience for all involved. 

3/22/2022 11:16 am  #197

GWRising wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

From HoopDirt.com

If we’re looking at Manning not sure why we wouldn’t kick the tires on Turgeon instead

3/22/2022 11:21 am  #198

GW0509 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

From HoopDirt.com

If we’re looking at Manning not sure why we wouldn’t kick the tires on Turgeon instead

Agreed except we can't afford Turgeon and he probably wouldn't come here. But should at least make the call.

Last edited by GWRising (3/22/2022 11:22 am)

3/22/2022 11:35 am  #199

GWRising wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Dear GW Administration,

If you want to restore faith and hope in GW basketball, please don’t hire a coach with a career .450 winning percentage as a head coach. He may be one of the best college basketball players or all time, but so is Patrick Ewing and look how well that is working out.

Never ever underestimate GW's apparent need to win the press conference after so much bad publicity.

How do you win a press conference by hiring a losing coach who no one will be excited about?

3/22/2022 11:55 am  #200

Also a stupid question re Mike Pegues.  If we were looking at him, wouldn't we also want to look at Chris Mack?  Would we completely be out of the running for him?  Am I over-selling our program a little bit?  There are a lot of quality coaches out there, both former P5 coaches (C. Martin, Wojo, Mack, Howland) and solid up and coming coaches from lower majors (Becker, Holloway, Langel), and it doesn't appear we are looking at any of them.

Board footera