GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2022 11:24 am  #241

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

GWRising, I'll refer to your 5 point plan and make the assumption that most if not all of these items were promised to JC but not delivered.  Again, these are:

Increase in charter flights
Academic standards loosened
Increase pay for assistant coaches
New practice facility
Revamp sports information

I'll comment briefly on each but am interested in knowing whether all or some of these items were promised to JC.  I'll also say from the outset that this very real pandemic did cause lost revenue to the program (not to mention the loss of real jobs throughout the university).  I know it's your belief that there is money to do things if the school were to prioritize the way we would like.  At the same time, if plans to construct a practice facility were put on hold because of the message it would send to begin such a project while simultaneously terminating the jobs of many, am not sure how this can be construed as an act of sabotage.

Charter Flights..nice to have but it hasn't been essential for Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan to have success.  Should it matter that we did win at URI, UMASS and at Duquesne?

Academic standards loosened...this is one that does not have a price tag associated with it.  So, if this was promised but never delivered on, then this qualifies as either an act of sabotage or a promise made by someone without the sole authority to deliver.

Increase pay for assistants.. what's curious here is that while each individual's pay may not have increased, the team replaced with Nima with Eric Atkins but also brought in Lamont Franklin as a Special Assistant/Scouting Director.  So unless Franklin was here on a volunteer basis, it does appear that more financial resources were put into the coaching staff overall.

Practice facility....see above

Revamp sports information...No doubt this was needed; however, did failing to do so really hinder the team's ability to win more games?

So naturally, I am curious as to how JC was undermined, and whether such actions resulted in JC having to have to operate with one hand tied behind his back, so to speak.  Or perhaps, there are examples beyond the 5 points which took place?

3/23/2022 11:33 am  #242

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Thanks. Seems pretty clear that insiders (assuming there’s not just one using multiple names) feel like Diaz having a prior relationship disqualifies Caputo. As I’ve said before, I really don’t care as long as he turns out to be the right guy.

I do think head coaching experience is nice, but it’s no guarantee at all of future success - as JC, Dave Paulsen, and many others can attest. Lack of head coaching experience also can be fine (like Karl Hobbs and apparently Kyle Neptune at Fordham).

Whoever it is I will back (though Danny Manning would be really hard to feel any hope, as would some others with uninspiring results like Inglesby. We hire one of them and I’ll do my best to believe, but I will literally be expecting it to go bad from day 1).

No, no, no. It's not the prior relationship that is of concern. It's the concern that the previous guy was likely undermined to enable the coaching position to become available so that the guy with the prior relationship could be hired. 

What I think I've heard you say is that JC was basically promised that he'd be able to work with more money/benefits than previous coaches that would allow the program to grow. Then he didn't get them.Your belief is that these benefits weren't given solely so that JC would fail and a new coach could be hired. If true, that would be problematic (wondering how much the pandemic also played into changed costs). Regardless, JC and his teams simply didn't perform well. Could they have performed better with more money/benefits? Maybe. I'm not sure what other players would have come/would have transferred/etc. I'm not sure it would have helped JC on gameday. 

I hope the new coach gets more money/benefits. I'll always root for the team.

I've rooted for the team for more than 30 years through coaching changes, scandals, etc. I've given more money than I care to say. But if Caputo gets this job knowing what I know, that will be a bridge too far. Anyone else I can live with.

3/23/2022 11:41 am  #243

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising, I'll refer to your 5 point plan and make the assumption that most if not all of these items were promised to JC but not delivered.  Again, these are:

Increase in charter flights
Academic standards loosened
Increase pay for assistant coaches
New practice facility
Revamp sports information

I'll comment briefly on each but am interested in knowing whether all or some of these items were promised to JC.  I'll also say from the outset that this very real pandemic did cause lost revenue to the program (not to mention the loss of real jobs throughout the university).  I know it's your belief that there is money to do things if the school were to prioritize the way we would like.  At the same time, if plans to construct a practice facility were put on hold because of the message it would send to begin such a project while simultaneously terminating the jobs of many, am not sure how this can be construed as an act of sabotage.

Charter Flights..nice to have but it hasn't been essential for Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan to have success.  Should it matter that we did win at URI, UMASS and at Duquesne?

Academic standards loosened...this is one that does not have a price tag associated with it.  So, if this was promised but never delivered on, then this qualifies as either an act of sabotage or a promise made by someone without the sole authority to deliver.

Increase pay for assistants.. what's curious here is that while each individual's pay may not have increased, the team replaced with Nima with Eric Atkins but also brought in Lamont Franklin as a Special Assistant/Scouting Director.  So unless Franklin was here on a volunteer basis, it does appear that more financial resources were put into the coaching staff overall.

Practice facility....see above

Revamp sports information...No doubt this was needed; however, did failing to do so really hinder the team's ability to win more games?

So naturally, I am curious as to how JC was undermined, and whether such actions resulted in JC having to have to operate with one hand tied behind his back, so to speak.  Or perhaps, there are examples beyond the 5 points which took place?

I am certain that all of this will be laid out with specificity at some point. If not, then perhaps the conspiracy wasn't as deep as it readily appears to not just me but several of us (donors/supporters). 

Last edited by GWRising (3/23/2022 12:47 pm)

3/23/2022 11:42 am  #244

GWRising wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

2twooed wrote:

Becker would be an excellent choice. Mason did not hire Caputo twice. I’d prefer someone who’s been a head before with some success. Back to Caputo I’d prefer a candidate that gets the job on his merits not his relationship to Diaz.

Thanks. Seems pretty clear that insiders (assuming there’s not just one using multiple names) feel like Diaz having a prior relationship disqualifies Caputo. As I’ve said before, I really don’t care as long as he turns out to be the right guy.

I do think head coaching experience is nice, but it’s no guarantee at all of future success - as JC, Dave Paulsen, and many others can attest. Lack of head coaching experience also can be fine (like Karl Hobbs and apparently Kyle Neptune at Fordham).

Whoever it is I will back (though Danny Manning would be really hard to feel any hope, as would some others with uninspiring results like Inglesby. We hire one of them and I’ll do my best to believe, but I will literally be expecting it to go bad from day 1).

No, no, no. It's not the prior relationship that is of concern. It's the concern that the previous guy was likely undermined to enable the coaching position to become available so that the guy with the prior relationship could be hired. 

While I certainly believe resources were promised to JC and not delivered, it's really difficult to buy that Miami-connected admins sat down to figure out how to tank JC and install someone from Miami. If there's evidence this is the case then you should provide it, since this a very hefty allegation. It could all be true that resources weren't provided, JC gets fired, and Caputo becomes head coach without it all being a grand conspiracy. And I'm not sure what resources realistically could've been provided that would've made on-court performance so much better to the point of being optimistic about the program.

3/23/2022 11:49 am  #245

LOL JC was sabotaged.
Like, "fake libelous story in the WaPo that leads to a multimillion-dollar settlement" sabotaged?

3/23/2022 12:06 pm  #246

From Matt Norlander yesterday on CBSsports.com

George Washington.
OUT -- Jamion Christian  
Entering the season, it was thought Christian was under some pressure to win. George Washington went 12-18 and opted to fire Christian after only three seasons, an unusually quick hook for an A-10 school. One immediate name that will get a good look is Virginia assistant Jason Williford. This might also be a landing spot for Travis Steele.

Last edited by GW73 (3/23/2022 12:07 pm)

3/23/2022 2:49 pm  #247

GWRising wrote:

The University at-large has this money should they so desire to spend it.. That has never been an issue. We have plenty of money when we seem to want to have it - spending millions to buy out or settle with former coaches and administrators. But GW claims poverty when GW doesn't want to spend it - like the need to cut 7 sports.. And guess what? If you make these capital investments in the basketball program, the performance will improve, you will raise more donations and sell more tickets - might even get some NCAA money by participating in the tournament. GW either needs to make these investments or drop down to a league commensurate with what they are willing to spend.

On this one, how do we make it happen? Talk to the AD and ask them to sell a building or dip into the endowment or something? What are ways to pressure them to do it? I emailed TV recently, no idea if that is a good method or what.

3/23/2022 3:33 pm  #248

Good question. First of all, we need a much stronger athletics representative on the Board. We had one in Allan From. The guy we have now is no Allan From.

Second, we need to get younger supporters involved. I've been at this for 30+ years. It's more or less the same people and none of us are getting any younger. We have to expand the base to use a political term.

Third, we have to pressure people at all levels of the University. We don't have an internal champion anymore like a Bob Chernak who understood college athletics and what it takes to be successful. 

3/23/2022 3:50 pm  #249

Is there any reason Turgeon wouldn't be strongly considered? I've only seen a couple passing references in this thread. 

3/23/2022 4:29 pm  #250

I have no inside knowledge on this, but my guess is that Turgeon would a) not have to drop a level (10 solid years at UMD with previous two stops at Texas A&M and Wichita and a 471–272 (.634) coaching record) and b) if he did want to go to a mid-major/stay in the area, he’d probably be too expensive for us (was making $3M a year at UMD).

firehobbs12 wrote:

Is there any reason Turgeon wouldn't be strongly considered? I've only seen a couple passing references in this thread. 

3/24/2022 6:26 am  #251

Call me cynical, but why is there scant discussion of NIL payments?

I get the university can't pay student athletes, but wouldn't a donor-managed slush fund of $5M paying, I dunno, $100k per athlete for some autographed photos be a faster path to success than others?

It's a new day in college athletics. Why not join the race to the bottom?

3/24/2022 6:31 am  #252

3/24/2022 6:36 am  #253

This is the new competitive landscape:

"

Wealthy alumni superfans who might otherwise donate money for, say, new locker rooms are forming donor collectives and pooling tens of millions of dollars to entice top recruits. “Donors are paying for athletes to make appearances where an entire team shows up and spends an hour and a half at a meet-and-greet at a local restaurant,” says Blake Lawrence, co-founder and chief executive officer of online sponsorship marketplace Opendorse Inc., which connects brands and players. “They may walk in with zero dollars in their pocket and walk out with $10,000.”

"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-03-18/ncaa-nil-deals-help-college-athletes-get-paid

3/24/2022 6:39 am  #254

3/24/2022 7:59 am  #255

Thought exercise for the board….

For argument’s sake, if it’s going to be Caputo, curious if people think it would it be better for us if Miami loses this weekend so that we can announce him Monday or Tuesday and he can start re-recruiting Brayon and Bamisile and start working on others?

Or better for Miami to make the Final 4 so he has that to sell to recruits, even though we wouldn’t be able to announce him for another week, during which time our guys and other potential recruits will be building and strengthening relationships with other programs?

3/24/2022 8:38 am  #256

Free Quebec wrote:

For argument’s sake, if it’s going to be Caputo, curious if people think it would it be better for us if Miami loses this weekend so that we can announce him Monday or Tuesday and he can start re-recruiting Brayon and Bamisile and start working on others?

Or better for Miami to make the Final 4 so he has that to sell to recruits, even though we wouldn’t be able to announce him for another week, during which time our guys and other potential recruits will be building and strengthening relationships with other programs?

I doubt Brayon and Bam come back under almost any circumstances. Not impossible but highly unlikely. Bishop may be the one that stays but even that is questionable. Adams I think has no choice but could say screw it and try to play overseas. Lindo and Harris are gone. The question remains whether Dean, Brown, Harvey and Samuels stay. I think Jabari will likely go elsewhere.

So I'm not sure it makes much of a difference.

Last edited by GWRising (3/24/2022 8:39 am)

3/24/2022 9:15 am  #257

GWRising wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

I doubt Brayon and Bam come back under almost any circumstances. Not impossible but highly unlikely. Bishop may be the one that stays but even that is questionable. Adams I think has no choice but could say screw it and try to play overseas. Lindo and Harris are gone. The question remains whether Dean, Brown, Harvey and Samuels stay. I think Jabari will likely go elsewhere.

I know you would like that because you are bitter at the way this went down, but given that B&B were explicit about not making any decision until the new coach is decided, I’m going to hold out hope that an exciting new coach could get them to stay.

(Would suck if not, but we would become a primo destination for transfers since there would be no competition for PT, and even that would benefit from a quicker hire as long as it doesn’t come at the expense of the right hire)

3/24/2022 9:21 am  #258

I'd say better for Miami to lose this weekend if Caputo is our guy.  The benefit of being able to more quickly attempt to persuade Joe and Brayon outweighs the difference between an assistant off of a Final 4 appearance as opposed to an Elite 8 appearance.  Besides, Caputo already has a final 4 appearance to sell to recruits, even if it did take place 16 years ago.

3/24/2022 10:09 am  #259

Free Quebec wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

I know you would like that because you are bitter at the way this went down, but given that B&B were explicit about not making any decision until the new coach is decided, I’m going to hold out hope that an exciting new coach could get them to stay.

(Would suck if not, but we would become a primo destination for transfers since there would be no competition for PT, and even that would benefit from a quicker hire as long as it doesn’t come at the expense of the right hire)

You have no idea what I would like. You are free to keep on dreaming and ascribing whatever motives you would like. 

3/24/2022 10:21 am  #260

I would think better to lose this round so we can hire him ASAP and begin the re-recruiting and recruiting.

Board footera