GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2022 7:33 pm  #281

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

I don’t think it’s impossible that Caputo could be named the coach while Miami is still in the tournament.  Perhaps it will be some publicity because it could be mentioned on TV during the broadcast.

I agree that Williford and Becker are the other two I would think are in the mix.  I think I would be relatively happy with any of the three.  I just don’t want to hear a coach selected from a much lower conference.  I don’t think they have the recruiting contacts.  Yes, Becker is from a smaller conference but I think he has those connections, so not concerned with him on that. 

3/24/2022 8:09 pm  #282

If true, maybe Willingford.
Becker just doesn't seem their type, but would love to be surprised.

3/24/2022 8:28 pm  #283

And Arkansas just beats Gonzaga by more than they beat Vermont.
Lending even more credibility to Becker's already impressive credentials.
Hard to believe GW would do near the right thing, though they did by looking for a new
coach.

Last edited by jf (3/24/2022 8:28 pm)

3/24/2022 9:56 pm  #284

Thomas wrote:

This tweet from GW's radio station says that a coach could be named tomorrow. If this is true, that would probably rule out Caputo since Miami plays in the late game tomorrow night. If GW hires a coach tomorrow, wouldn't Becker be the favorite? With Jason Williford being a distant second. 

I cannot confirm but GW may decide sometime between midnight tonight and 4AM.  Maybe not, so don’t take this as gospel, but maybe.

3/24/2022 9:57 pm  #285

Why do we have to always these no-name coaches with no history of winning? Why is it that places like URI can get Archie Miller, Iona can get Pitino, and UMass can get Frank Martin, while we get stuck with an assistant coach from Miami no one has ever heard of or, even worse, some guy with a .500 record at Siena. The one time we struck gold with this current strategy we fired him because he was a big meanie (and yet hired his inexperienced assistant, who was apparently present and did nothing to stop this “abuse,” as his replacement…like wtf?)

I’d absolutely love for GW to hire a guy who has a proven record of winning at the highest level of the game- a guy like Turgeron or  even JT3, but I know that’ll never happen. Instead we’ll be stuck with some no-name assistant from Miami or UVA.

Year after year, I lose more and more connection to my alma mater. In fact, I will absolutely donate to my medical school university’s athletic fund (and buy season tickets, apparel, etc) way, way before than I contribute a penny to GW, which quite sad.  At the very least, I know they have a strong commitment to winning no matter the cost, which I certainly can’t say for GW.

3/25/2022 7:01 am  #286

GWGrad2013 wrote:

Why do we have to always these no-name coaches with no history of winning? Why is it that places like URI can get Archie Miller, Iona can get Pitino, and UMass can get Frank Martin, while we get stuck with an assistant coach from Miami no one has ever heard of or, even worse, some guy with a .500 record at Siena. The one time we struck gold with this current strategy we fired him because he was a big meanie (and yet hired his inexperienced assistant, who was apparently present and did nothing to stop this “abuse,” as his replacement…like wtf?)

I’d absolutely love for GW to hire a guy who has a proven record of winning at the highest level of the game- a guy like Turgeron or  even JT3, but I know that’ll never happen. Instead we’ll be stuck with some no-name assistant from Miami or UVA.

GW.

To be fair, the last time we hired an no-name assistant from a bigger program, it was Karl Hobbs and he has us back in the NCAAs in three years.  And the last time we hired a big name coach with a record of winning at the highest level,, it was Tom Penders, who crashed and burned in three years.

3/25/2022 7:33 am  #287

UMass closing in on Martin; URI hires MIller.
"Martin would be the second high-profile hire in the Atlantic 10 this offseason. Rhode Island introduced former Indiana coach Archie Miller as its new head coach earlier this week."
Meanwhile GW is hoping to hire from its hidey hole someone who was maybe an assistant at a high major.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33586954/frank-martin-mulling-umass-minutemen-offer-head-men-basketball-coach-sources-say

3/25/2022 7:49 am  #288

GWGrad2013 wrote:

Year after year, I lose more and more connection to my alma mater. In fact, I will absolutely donate to my medical school university’s athletic fund (and buy season tickets, apparel, etc) way, way before than I contribute a penny to GW, which quite sad.  At the very least, I know they have a strong commitment to winning no matter the cost, which I certainly can’t say for GW.

So who should contribute to GW Athletics to reach  the level at which more people will give?

3/25/2022 7:55 am  #289

FredD wrote:

So who should contribute to GW Athletics to reach  the level at which more people will give?

Gil Cisneros needs to win the lottery again

3/25/2022 8:07 am  #290

I can respect the fact that there is a budget we have to live within which prevents GW from signing a Frank Martin, an Archie Miller, or even a Mark Schmidt for that matter.  However, the days of starting our head coaches out at $600,000-750,000 need to be over with if we are going to realistically compete in the A10.  The days of lagging severely behind most other A10 schools in recruiting battles due to lacking or having insufficient facilities, amenities, etc need to end.

Normally, I would look at our situation...low attendance, small season ticket base, few sponsorships, decline in donations, and conclude that GW just doesn't have the money.  However, I see things like tremendous sums of dead money being paid out to individuals no longer employed by GW, as well as the construction of a practice facility was once approved (not too long ago), and I am left to conclude that GW has the money to put into this program.  It's a matter of choosing to utilize these funds on basketball.

This mindset really needs to change for the better.  Otherwise, it may not matter who our next coach is.

3/25/2022 8:19 am  #291

Gwmayhem wrote:

I can respect the fact that there is a budget we have to live within which prevents GW from signing a Frank Martin, an Archie Miller, or even a Mark Schmidt for that matter.  However, the days of starting our head coaches out at $600,000-750,000 need to be over with if we are going to realistically compete in the A10.  The days of lagging severely behind most other A10 schools in recruiting battles due to lacking or having insufficient facilities, amenities, etc need to end.

Normally, I would look at our situation...low attendance, small season ticket base, few sponsorships, decline in donations, and conclude that GW just doesn't have the money.  However, I see things like tremendous sums of dead money being paid out to individuals no longer employed by GW, as well as the construction of a practice facility was once approved (not too long ago), and I am left to conclude that GW has the money to put into this program.  It's a matter of choosing to utilize these funds on basketball.

This mindset really needs to change for the better.  Otherwise, it may not matter who our next coach is.

FWIW, GW’s endowment is $2.2 billion more than Rhode Island’s.

3/25/2022 9:09 am  #292

The "we need a big name coach" brigade just don't get it. Every great coach was once an assistant at a P5 and or head coach at a lower level at some stage.  No guarantee that the Miller's and Martin will be looked back at as great hires. They may very well be but nothing is guaranteed that they will prove to be better than lets say Mooney. English, Schmidt etc.

Tell me how many  "big name coaches" have been A10 coach of the year. Maybe you could consider Anthony Grant that ?

Who is this.
HS coach 5 years
Asst Coach Southern conference 1yr
HS Coach 10yrs
Current A10 Coach 30+yrs
Bob McKillop

1989–1991    Saint Michael's (assistant)
1991–1993    Penn State (assistant)
1993–1994    Loyola (MD) (assistant)
1994–2001    Xavier (assistant)
2001–2007    Robert Morris
Mark Schmidt

None "Big Name"

How about we just hire someone who will be successful and not get caught up with names

Also on another topic you cant compare endowments of Private schools and Public school who get the significant amount of their operating budget through the state.

In addition you cant just spend the endowment on a basketball program. Endowments are made up of many different donations or funds that have been or are earmarked to a specific use. A department, financial aid etc.  Its a lot more complicated than most understand.

3/25/2022 9:38 am  #293

Good post FC.

We've had the most success hiring coaches with good track records out of the America East (Jarvis, Lonergan, not Kuester) so Becker would fit that mold.  Hobbs was a long-time assistant at BU when it was in the America East, but is only good assistant at big-name school we've picked up in my memory (Gimelstob out of Indiana is the only other one I remember).  Incidentally, Pikiell would've been another great  AE hire, but his timing and our didn't work out.

3/25/2022 9:50 am  #294

Guess what. It's not even about the money.
"Holloway's last listed salary in tax documents was nearly $266,000, or less money than at least four assistant coaches and 
multiple players on Kentucky were reported to make this season."
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33584625/march-madness-saint-peter-coach-shaheen-holloway-sweet-16-moment-arrives-22-years-later

3/25/2022 9:51 am  #295

GWRising wrote:

If John Becker is involved and GW doesn't do what it financially takes to get him, it's a huge mistake. Head and shoulders the best option I've seen mentioned. His teams guard their ass off and move the ball. He knows about high academic kids.

I've had my fair share of disagreement with Rising, but on this point I could not agree more. If Becker wants this job and we don't close him, I'll have a lot of difficulty believing our process was a good one. 

3/25/2022 9:54 am  #296

Some posts make me wish there was a LIKE button I could smash.  Rising's is one of them.

3/25/2022 10:31 am  #297

Class of 13 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

If John Becker is involved and GW doesn't do what it financially takes to get him, it's a huge mistake. Head and shoulders the best option I've seen mentioned. His teams guard their ass off and move the ball. He knows about high academic kids.

I've had my fair share of disagreement with Rising, but on this point I could not agree more. If Becker wants this job and we don't close him, I'll have a lot of difficulty believing our process was a good one. 

ALL DAY! EVERY DAY! This hire has to work out. GW needs to play credible basketball again.

3/25/2022 10:56 am  #298

3/25/2022 11:00 am  #299

I don't have a strong opinion on this, at least when it comes to assistants, because who knows how they translate (like hiring the hot coordinator to be a head coach in the NFL - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't) but I am on board with the strong pro-Becker sentiment.  And you would have to think he would know exactly what he's walking into here, as well.  My top choice of the possible options, for sure.

3/25/2022 11:26 am  #300

Listen I am still very disappointed over the way JC was treated here. But this hire should be a litmus test for GW and its intentions regarding basketball. Are we willing to make the investment necessary to compete in the A-10 or are we not? Sorry but Chris Caputo and John Becker send very different signals in that regard. That's not to say that Chris Caputo can't be a good coach. But for a fan and donor base that has been subjected to 4 terminations of coaches in 11 years, the choice matters greatly. It sends a signal. It says we either want to step up and do everything we can to be relevant or we are hoping we can get by on the cheap and a miracle will occur. For all the GW fanbase and donor base has had to endure over the past 11 years, it's time for GW to step up and hire John Becker and provide him with the necessary resources to be successful. There is a price of admission for success in college basketball and it is not cheap. The only question left is whether GW is willing to pay it?

Board footera