GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2022 12:00 pm  #301

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

In all likelihood this means absolutely nothing, but TJ Thompson -- who is not very active on twitter -- in the past 24 hours liked these two tweets from the coaching changes account.
https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1507153631522529282
https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1507162808831680514

3/25/2022 1:15 pm  #302

Supporters Beware: GW has been about as successful in choosing head coaches in recent years as the Commanders (formerly Redskins) have been in acquiring a franchise quarterback. A successful hire this time will cost real money--something the University has been historically unwilling to pay. Let's hope against hope. 

3/25/2022 1:35 pm  #303

Since we all seem to like Becker, for obvious, it seems less likely.
Another question is they are looking for someone who fits his profile?
Whoever we hire should have assistants who have recruited at a higher level than GW.
  Something we have really needed with our freshmen recruits, particularly.

3/25/2022 1:41 pm  #304

I wonder if we’ll wait til tomorrow to have the spotlight for ourselves vs sharing it with UMass

Last edited by GW0509 (3/25/2022 1:42 pm)

3/25/2022 1:56 pm  #305

One would think that the hirings of Miller and Martin, and Bona paying up to keep Schmidt will help GW loosen the purse strings.

3/25/2022 2:09 pm  #306

BM wrote:

One would think that the hirings of Miller and Martin, and Bona paying up to keep Schmidt will help GW loosen the purse strings.

One can only hope.

3/26/2022 11:51 am  #307

Can’t help but think no announcement yet means it’s Caputo or that the insiders lobbying against him are having some success planting doubt  in the school’s mind. In other words no news in 24 hours tells us nothing, damnit.

Last edited by Free Quebec (3/26/2022 4:01 pm)

3/26/2022 2:19 pm  #308

Or maybe Shaheen Holloway is waiting to turn down Seton Hall for us.
   Seriously, FQ has a good point. The delay would seem to argue for someone still in the
tournament. Want Miami to win because Larranaga is by all reports, a good guy, and it wouldn't hurt for Caputo, who certainly has comparatively high-level recruiting exposure experience, to get some of thatu Final Four luster, as well. 
  But if that's the reason and we hold off, it would also work against us in terms of time.

3/26/2022 3:52 pm  #309

BM wrote:

Just saw a report of what Frank Martin will get at UMass.  It is basically the same as Archie Miller with URI.   Both have 5 years deals for $8.5M.  Average annual comp of $1.7M if they stay the full five years. 

Last edited by TJT85 (3/26/2022 3:53 pm)

3/26/2022 4:15 pm  #310

TJT85 wrote:

BM wrote:

Just saw a report of what Frank Martin will get at UMass.  It is basically the same as Archie Miller with URI.   Both have 5 years deals for $8.5M.  Average annual comp of $1.7M if they stay the full five years. 

I would imagine 8.5 million would be more than enough to get John Becker to overlook the crap his mentor would be warming him against. 

As a public employee, his compensation is public. He made $334,000 in 19-20, plus another $127.500 in bonuses. 

So if he was making $450k, I would think it wouldn’t take a 5 year, $8.5 million deal to get him.  Pegues was reportedly making $340,000, Williford $250,000, and Caputo I can’t find.  Hopefully we are ready to start paying a lot more for our coach.

3/26/2022 6:11 pm  #311

Free Quebec wrote:

Can’t help but think no announcement yet means it’s Caputo or that the insiders lobbying against him are having some success planting doubt in the school’s mind. In other words no news in 24 hours tells us nothing, damnit.

Can't help thinking the same thing, namely we are waiting for Miami's season to end before making an announcement.  Otherwise, unless it is another candidtate being considered who's team is still playing, I think we would have announced by now.   Then again, there may be contract negotiations going on with someone else.   

3/26/2022 6:13 pm  #312

BM wrote:

I didn't realize Archie Miller went to URI. Damn it, that would have been a good hire for GW.

3/27/2022 11:42 am  #314

Hoop Dirt is reporting (and consistent with my sources) GW is down to four names but has not identified them. Hoop Dirt says they all have ties to DMV. I believe they may be as follows (but this is unconfirmed):

Pegues
Williford
Becker
Caputo

That's all I have right now. If I get more I will post it here.

Last edited by GWRising (3/27/2022 11:46 am)

3/27/2022 1:13 pm  #316

If these are the choices ... hopefully GW does the right thing ...

1. Becker
2. Williford
3. Pegues
4. Caputo

3/27/2022 1:44 pm  #317

It is understood Caputo may be THE HC in waiting…Larranaga has 4 years left on his contract (as reported in here), but he is is 72….how long before Caputo would get a call from Miami?  Guess that would be one of the downsides of hiring him.

3/27/2022 1:51 pm  #318

Mike K wrote:

It is understood Caputo may be THE HC in waiting…Larranaga has 4 years left on his contract (as reported in here), but he is is 72….how long before Caputo would get a call from Miami?  Guess that would be one of the downsides of hiring him.

Or maybe he’s been told he’s not Larranaga’s successor.

3/27/2022 1:53 pm  #319

Hoop Dirt confirmed three of the 4 names - Caputo, Pegues and Williford. The other they say in a HC at conference lower than the A-10. When Samurai Hoops  asked if that is Inglesby the reply was nope. I am more convinced it is Becker.

Last edited by GWRising (3/27/2022 2:01 pm)

3/27/2022 1:56 pm  #320

I’m personally sold on Becker with Williford 2nd.

Board footera