GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2022 5:57 pm  #401

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

GW has competed with the top of the Atlantic 10 too many years over too long of a period of time for me to want to drop down, even after the past 6 years.  On the other hand, if the school is not going to commit to supporting the program at an Atlantic Ten level, would you rather be perenial doormats in a good conference or would it be better to compete in a lesser conference where we can every now and then win the conference tournament and get our 14 seed in the tournament, because if things stay as they have been, we are going nowhere in the foreseeable future.   

3/29/2022 6:15 pm  #402

If GW doesn’t want to pay a competitive salary and pay for charters etc why the freak did they fire JC???

3/29/2022 6:49 pm  #403

TV had to know what the market rate salary was for an A-10 coach going into this process.  Otherwise it wasn’t properly thought through.  Hopefully we will hear something by the end of the week at the latest.

3/29/2022 6:56 pm  #404

There was a plan in place when Russ Ramsey and Randy Levine were on the Board. Ave Tucker is the athletic point on the Board today. I’m not sure he shares the same vision, although he attended GW on a baseball scholarship. If the School will spend the money it can be competitive and contend for a title. There are quite a few people close to the situation who are trying to get the attention of the powers that be. It’s pretty obvious that the AD is not really making the calls. The people who care and have the ability to fund need to see from the School that they want to win. If that becomes obvious the situation can be corrected.

3/29/2022 7:20 pm  #405

Ante up or move down.They need to decide this time which direction they want to go.I'd prefer ante up-but I
would take moving down over more of the same.

Last edited by GW69 (3/29/2022 7:25 pm)

3/29/2022 7:35 pm  #406

GW69 wrote:

Ante up or move down.They need to decide this time which direction they want to go.I'd prefer ante up-but I
would take moving down over more of the same.

I would take more of the same because if for some reason we choose not to try now, maybe the next administration decides to commit.  Once you drop down you tie the hands of everyone in the future.

3/29/2022 7:43 pm  #407

Yeah, let's not be distracted by the excuses.
JC got a very good salary for his experience level--and more assistants, advisers, shot charters, etc
than you see on the bench from another team.
ML complained rightly about some of these charter issues and won.
A multimillion dollar practice facility for 13 players isn't going to appear overnight, but at one time, but we were chartering at least some flights.
 GW has some unique advantages other A-10 schools don't, yet St. Bonaventure turned its program around.
It's not all about money. Some of it is recruiting, coaching and leadership. Which is why Becker could play Vermont very close--and St. Peters did what it did.
  Let's not lose sight of the fact that the team didn't perform, even after a supposed talent upgrade.
That's not money.

3/29/2022 7:44 pm  #408

Free-You are more disciplined and patient than I am.I don’t have many years left quite frankly.

3/29/2022 9:06 pm  #409

jf wrote:

Yeah, let's not be distracted by the excuses.
JC got a very good salary for his experience level--and more assistants, advisers, shot charters, etc
than you see on the bench from another team.
ML complained rightly about some of these charter issues and won.
A multimillion dollar practice facility for 13 players isn't going to appear overnight, but at one time, but we were chartering at least some flights.
 GW has some unique advantages other A-10 schools don't, yet St. Bonaventure turned its program around.
It's not all about money. Some of it is recruiting, coaching and leadership. Which is why Becker could play Vermont very close--and St. Peters did what it did.
  Let's not lose sight of the fact that the team didn't perform, even after a supposed talent upgrade.
That's not money.

Yup not just money but academic standards that are ever changing leaving recruits and coaches frustrated (not just the men's basketball coach I might add). Some of the key players who played for ML, Hobbs or Jarvis would never be admitted under the current admissions regime but could be admitted to other A-10 schools. These wounds are self-inflicted.

3/29/2022 9:07 pm  #410

2twooed wrote:

There was a plan in place when Russ Ramsey and Randy Levine were on the Board. Ave Tucker is the athletic point on the Board today. I’m not sure he shares the same vision, although he attended GW on a baseball scholarship. If the School will spend the money it can be competitive and contend for a title. There are quite a few people close to the situation who are trying to get the attention of the powers that be. It’s pretty obvious that the AD is not really making the calls. The people who care and have the ability to fund need to see from the School that they want to win. If that becomes obvious the situation can be corrected.

Frame this ... it is spot on.

3/29/2022 9:40 pm  #411

As best I can determine, here are the salaries of other A-10 coaches:

Kim English, George Mason $925,000 plus incentives
Mike Rhodes VCU $1,600,000 plus incentives
Anthony Grant, Dayton $1,631,868 plus incentives
Mark Schmidt St. Bonaventure, $1,800,000
Frank Martin UMass, $1,800,000
Kyle Neptune Fordham $900,000 plus incentives
Archie Miller, URI $1,900,000 including incentives
Chris Mooney, Richmond, $1,200,000 plus incentives
Keith Dambrot, Duquesne $1,000,000 plus incentives
Ashley Howard , former La Salle, $500,000 plus incentives
Jamion Christian, former GW $700,000 plus incentives (estimated)
Billy Lange, St. Joseph's $850,000 (estimated)
Travis Ford, SLU , $2,444,000
Bob McKillop $700,000 plus incentives (estimated)

My understanding is McKillop is the outlier. He could command twice that or more in salary but believes in the school and takes less - a real old school company guy - so assistants make more and the school has resources for other sports, etc. So if you throw him out, we are in the bottom two of the league. Perplexing because we are in the second highest cost area with the largest endowment and giving of any other school in A-10.

3/30/2022 2:12 am  #412

GWRising wrote:

As best I can determine, here are the salaries of other A-10 coaches:

Kim English, George Mason $925,000 plus incentives
Mike Rhodes VCU $1,600,000 plus incentives
Anthony Grant, Dayton $1,631,868 plus incentives
Mark Schmidt St. Bonaventure, $1,800,000
Frank Martin UMass, $1,800,000
Kyle Neptune Fordham $900,000 plus incentives
Archie Miller, URI $1,900,000 including incentives
Chris Mooney, Richmond, $1,200,000 plus incentives
Keith Dambrot, Duquesne $1,000,000 plus incentives
Ashley Howard , former La Salle, $500,000 plus incentives
Jamion Christian, former GW $700,000 plus incentives (estimated)
Billy Lange, St. Joseph's $850,000 (estimated)
Travis Ford, SLU , $2,444,000
Bob McKillop $700,000 plus incentives (estimated)

My understanding is McKillop is the outlier. He could command twice that or more in salary but believes in the school and takes less - a real old school company guy - so assistants make more and the school has resources for other sports, etc. So if you throw him out, we are in the bottom two of the league. Perplexing because we are in the second highest cost area with the largest endowment and giving of any other school in A-10.

To be fair, Jamion Christian was a bottom 2 coach in the league. 

Kidding. 

Seems like $900k is kind of a bare min and we should be prepared to pay more, but based on these numbers I do have to question the spin that GW wouldn’t pay enough to land a coach who currently makes $450K a year.  It’s unlikely Becker will be hotter next year than he is now so if he’s turning down an offer to double his salary, that would be odd.

I say $900, because that’s roughly what the two most recent high level assistants hired seem to have gotten so if we are hiring Williford, Caputo, or Pegues, I would think their deals would be comparable to English or Neptune.

Plus,  I have a hard time believing GW would fire JC now and not be willing to spend more than $700K on the next coach if that’s what they had been paying for someone who wasn’t good enough to lead the program where they wanted. Have to think they would/could pay seven figures to get the person they want, if that’s what it takes.

Last edited by Free Quebec (3/30/2022 4:07 am)

3/30/2022 4:14 am  #413

I know the gag order has expired, and I could ask him directly, but is ML's payout still on the books?

3/30/2022 4:48 am  #414

Free Quebec wrote:

Seems like $900k is kind of a bare min and we should be prepared to pay more, but based on these numbers I do have to question the spin that GW wouldn’t pay enough to land a coach who currently makes $450K a year.  It’s unlikely Becker will be hotter next year than he is now so if he’s turning down an offer to double his salary, that would be odd.

It may be double, but if you’re Becker and after all your success at UVM, GW is effectively saying you’re worth the same to them as a 32 year old Kim English who had no prior head coaching experience.

Better to just stay in your hermit kingdom in Vermont.

Also don’t forget about inflation! If Kim English started at $925,000 and we just had 7% inflation in the last year, we really can’t be offering any less than 990k - $1 million for an AC with no prior coaching experience. 

Right now we’re looking like the restaurant owner pissed we can’t find workers for $7 an hour anymore.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/30/2022 7:50 am)

3/30/2022 4:50 am  #415

Mentzinger wrote:

I know the gag order has expired, and I could ask him directly, but is ML's payout still on the books?

No. I forget what tax form it is but his payout was listed on there for a year or two after he was let go and then went away.

Edit: It’s the form 990 and you can see them here: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/530196584

Lonergan came off the books in 2018. Then unfortunately Nero’s payoff went ON the books in 2019.

Interestingly our audit from 2021 shows that the portion of our endowment without donor restrictions is $1.6 billion with a spend rate of 4.5%. May do a deeper dive to see what the spend rate is at other schools with smaller endowments. I still don’t fully understand how the smaller schools are able afford to spend 2x on a coach?

Last edited by GW0509 (3/30/2022 5:33 am)

3/30/2022 6:41 am  #416

Why did GW fire Christian? 29-50!

3/30/2022 6:45 am  #417

I agree with other posters that if GW doesn't want to spend the money for a coach, etc. to compete in the A10, dropping to a lower conference is the only logical answer. We've all seen what the program has accomplished on the cheap. Nada!

3/30/2022 7:00 am  #418

moneybox wrote:

I agree with other posters that if GW doesn't want to spend the money for a coach, etc. to compete in the A10, dropping to a lower conference is the only logical answer. We've all seen what the program has accomplished on the cheap. Nada!

Except there’s no chance we spend A10 money in a lower conference. We’d probably end up in the same relative position in a shittier conference.

3/30/2022 7:49 am  #419

Admin needs to understand the landscape and if we want to compete we need to be offering in the million dollar range. Anything less and we just show we're not serious about competing at the top of the a10. 

3/30/2022 8:38 am  #420

GW0509 wrote:

moneybox wrote:

Except there’s no chance we spend A10 money in a lower conference. We’d probably end up in the same relative position in a shittier conference.

This doesn't make much sense to me.  The point is we wouldn't have to spend A10 money but still could be among the top spenders in a smaller conference.

Let's say the average basketball budget among A10 schools is around $5 million (that's about right).  Let's say GW's budget is $3.5 million (that's a guess).  Let's say the average basketball budget among Patriot League schools is around $2 million (that's about right).  It's pretty clear that GW could reduce it's spending by $500,000-$1 million and still be among the top spenders in the Patriot League.  

Board footera