GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2022 8:59 am  #421

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

Even the players are getting inpatient

Freeman  Tweet See new TweetsConversation        [color=inherit]youngshowtime[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/yoobrayyy]@yoobrayyy  …. 9:35 AM · Mar 30, 2022=inherit·Twitter for iPhone

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/30/2022 9:00 am)

3/30/2022 9:35 am  #422

Free Quebec wrote:

Seems like $900k is kind of a bare min and we should be prepared to pay more, but based on these numbers I do have to question the spin that GW wouldn’t pay enough to land a coach who currently makes $450K a year. It’s unlikely Becker will be hotter next year than he is now so if he’s turning down an offer to double his salary, that would be odd.

Depends on Becker's other asks.  If he was also asking for highly competitive assistant salaries and charter flights and conjugal flights to/from Holy Cross, it may have put the cost of hiring him over the GW limit.

3/30/2022 9:47 am  #423

moneybox wrote:

Why did GW fire Christian? 29-50!

I agree based on his record it was not nuts to fire him. Where I disagree if GW knew their compensation etc was not strong why fire him without having a candidate you know you can sign? Every day means less options for adding staff and players.

3/30/2022 9:47 am  #424

BM wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Seems like $900k is kind of a bare min and we should be prepared to pay more, but based on these numbers I do have to question the spin that GW wouldn’t pay enough to land a coach who currently makes $450K a year. It’s unlikely Becker will be hotter next year than he is now so if he’s turning down an offer to double his salary, that would be odd.

Depends on Becker's other asks.  If he was also asking for highly competitive assistant salaries and charter flights and conjugal flights to/from Holy Cross, it may have put the cost of hiring him over the GW limit.

Yes, this .It's not just the coach's salary. Who knows as FQ postulated maybe Becker comes for 800-900k if everything else was in place. But he's not coming if you don't spend more on assistants (perhaps as much as 200K across 3 assistants), get charters and commit to a definite timetable for completion of a practice facility. That's probably a few million dollar commitment for GW in the aggregate. Why be set up for failure? You have to spend money to make money lol.

Last edited by GWRising (3/30/2022 9:49 am)

3/30/2022 10:50 am  #425

Any of insiders have a guess about timeline now to manage our expectations?

3/30/2022 10:52 am  #426

I can't see a reason why GW would want to give up playing against teams like Davidson, Dayton, VCU and Richmond, to go play in a lesser conference with smaller programs.  So just stay put in the A-10 and pony up the cash for a coach.

If GW ends up doing this on the cheap then I think many of us are going to question what the hell they were thinking in all of this.

3/30/2022 12:27 pm  #427

It's kind of odd if Caputo was a done deal or almost a done deal, news would/will come out this
week. Negotiations for these positions postseason generally don't drag on that long once the decision is made, in this case when time seems to be of the essence.
  Maybe a Final Four coach has decided to cap his career by foregoing big money and taking on the challenging of resurrecting post-Lonergan GW.

3/30/2022 12:31 pm  #428

Free Quebec wrote:

Any of insiders have a guess about timeline now to manage our expectations?

In her open letter after dismissing Christian, Vogel said a new coach would be named perhaps as late as April. Last time I checked, we are still within her previously-announced timeframe, so I am niether panicking nor losing my patience, yet.
And remember, GW´s greatest coaching hire of all time was made in late August when Joe McKeown was lured away from Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (3/30/2022 12:35 pm)

3/30/2022 12:54 pm  #429

Vogel actually said "The GW men’s basketball program will attract incredible candidates and I look forward to introducing our next head coach to you later this month or early April."  So time is running out

3/30/2022 1:17 pm  #430

Florida Colonial wrote:

Vogel actually said "The GW men’s basketball program will attract incredible candidates and I look forward to introducing our next head coach to you later this month or early April."  So time is running out

Again, we are still within the timeframe. (were today April 30, I would be in full "headless chicken" mode).

3/30/2022 1:27 pm  #431

Rising, stop making excuses for JC now that he is gone. Your comment about ML having key players that wouldn't be admitted under JC is complete garbage. ML (like JC) was known for recruiting talented students and players. You can't name 1 player who academically questionable under his tenure. In fact, many of his players excelled in the classroom despite English being their 2nd language.

We got Mojo and JC at a bargain rate because they weren't really qualified to lead an A-10 team based on their experience/track record as a .500% coach in weak conferences.

Looks like the same thing will happen again. It's not just about the money at GW. Every single candidate has read the DeadSpin article and an established/successful candidate will be hesitant on coming to GW regardless of the salary. Add in the other things discussed (charters, asst $, practice facility, student apathy, etc) and the best we will get is the Caputo's of the world.

Raise High my friends!

3/30/2022 1:52 pm  #432

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

Again, we are still within the timeframe. (were today April 30, I would be in full "headless chicken" mode).

Haha. I think in a week I might be

3/30/2022 2:48 pm  #433

I am torn between "am glad they are taking their time to get this right" to "holy shit!! Everyone is turning them down because they are lowballing it."

Not beyond the realm of possibility are:  "what the hell is going on here", "why isn't Tanya making this call", and "why did we fire a guy with two years left on his contract".

3/30/2022 4:40 pm  #434

athleticdirectoru.com/video/vogel-nero-george-washington-risk-management

The misery continues. I'm not sure why a few here think it's about the money, facilities or chartering planes.

This video continues to say it all. Vogel is still our AD. Her mentor was Nero. This video was made AFTER Nero was forced out in Dec of 2016. Vogel is making the decision on who to hire as our next coach. She made the same decision 3 years ago and look where we are.

The comments at the bottom of video are spot on.

Raise High!

3/30/2022 5:20 pm  #435

Some actual news:

Live broadcast going on now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPlWmeTcNqY

GW talk about 22 min in.  It's the first D1 job update they mention.  Says it will be done by next week.

Guy who runs Hoop Dirt says that GW has the final four set:

1. Chris Caputo
2. Mike Pegues
3. Jason Williford
4. HC at a low level school in the area-ish (I think this might be Rob Jones at Norfolk State or Jeff Jones at ODU).

There's some rumblings that Williford has pulled out in the last 24 hours but that hasn't been confirmed.

Some rumblings a new 4th was added in Becker but as we've discussed, it may be that he's out too.  

So it may end up being just Caputo, Pegues, and low level HC from the area-ish.  Guy from Hoop Dirt says the low level HC would be a "phenomenal hire"

Last edited by GW0509 (3/30/2022 5:27 pm)

3/30/2022 5:32 pm  #436

GW059
Thanks. Great info.

I would guess its Robert Jones of Norfolk State

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/30/2022 5:36 pm)

3/30/2022 5:44 pm  #437

Joel Joseph wrote:

Rising, stop making excuses for JC now that he is gone. Your comment about ML having key players that wouldn't be admitted under JC is complete garbage. ML (like JC) was known for recruiting talented students and players. You can't name 1 player who academically questionable under his tenure. In fact, many of his players excelled in the classroom despite English being their 2nd language.

We got Mojo and JC at a bargain rate because they weren't really qualified to lead an A-10 team based on their experience/track record as a .500% coach in weak conferences.

Looks like the same thing will happen again. It's not just about the money at GW. Every single candidate has read the DeadSpin article and an established/successful candidate will be hesitant on coming to GW regardless of the salary. Add in the other things discussed (charters, asst $, practice facility, student apathy, etc) and the best we will get is the Caputo's of the world.

Raise High my friends!

Joel, you missed the point. It's not that ML had players who weren't academically sound or qualified to play at GW, It was that these players would not have been admitted under the current regime. My point was it is absurd that these players who were both academically successful and a credit to the GW community would not have been admitted had JC brought them to the table in 2021. This has to do with the fact that GW raised the TOEFL scores as a bright line test for international students. ML would have gone nuts over this and rightfully so. To be blunt, a lot of kids won't measure up to GW's  current TOEFL standards regardless of the coach. This is just one aspect of how GW has lost its way.

Last edited by GWRising (3/30/2022 5:45 pm)

3/30/2022 5:44 pm  #438

Rob Jones has excellent MEAC record, not OOC though,perhaps somewhat understandable.
  But is MEAC the level we want a successful (league) coach from?
Don't know if Jeff Jones,who was young at UVA  decades ago, is the type they are looking for.
  Again,just hope it's not just someone who gives good interview,a lesson from last time.

3/30/2022 5:47 pm  #439

Florida Colonial wrote:

GW059
Thanks. Great info.

I would guess its Robert Jones of Norfolk State

How about Griffin Aldrich at Longwood or Dan Earl at VMI if we are spitballing names?

3/30/2022 5:48 pm  #440

So...the school is damned if they hire a coach too quicly and damned if they hire a coach not quickly enough.

Board footera