GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2022 9:47 am  #461

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Let me also add that I am making an assumption, admittedly perhaps an erroneous one, that this is Diaz's call and not Tanya's.  A few things about that.  First, if this is true, it's a horribly sexist act which begs the question of whether Diaz would be "pulling rank" over a male athletic director.  Second, and most importantly no matter what the circumstances are, TV and MD must learn to work together and not take on the role of adversaries towards one another.  What we don't need is TV winning this decision and MD making life miserable for athletics thereafter.  Or, MD winning this decision and TV feeling undermined and disrespected.  The two are grown adults who must come together and somehow get on the same page.

Two things could be true at once. It could be TV's "decision" within the financial parameters given to her by Diaz which may have eliminated many options. So if you take your kids to Baskin Robins and tell them their choices are limited to vanilla or chocolate, do they really have a "decision" if they don't like or prefer vanilla or chocolate?

Rising I think this is EXACTLY want is happening. What I can't figure out is if a factor beyond won-loss record led to JC's firing and if the April due date referenced in TV's email is a honest answer based on experience, a cushion or a reflection of school leadership in transition/turmoil?

However, my #1 concern is that GW is ignoring what is actually happening in the changing NCAA coaching/transfer environment in favor of plodding along thinking they have leverage they don't have or that an Ok hire is good enough.

Last edited by FredD (3/31/2022 9:48 am)

3/31/2022 10:11 am  #462

FredD wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Let me also add that I am making an assumption, admittedly perhaps an erroneous one, that this is Diaz's call and not Tanya's.  A few things about that.  First, if this is true, it's a horribly sexist act which begs the question of whether Diaz would be "pulling rank" over a male athletic director.  Second, and most importantly no matter what the circumstances are, TV and MD must learn to work together and not take on the role of adversaries towards one another.  What we don't need is TV winning this decision and MD making life miserable for athletics thereafter.  Or, MD winning this decision and TV feeling undermined and disrespected.  The two are grown adults who must come together and somehow get on the same page.

Two things could be true at once. It could be TV's "decision" within the financial parameters given to her by Diaz which may have eliminated many options. So if you take your kids to Baskin Robins and tell them their choices are limited to vanilla or chocolate, do they really have a "decision" if they don't like or prefer vanilla or chocolate?

Rising I think this is EXACTLY want is happening. What I can't figure out is if a factor beyond won-loss record led to JC's firing and if the April due date referenced in TV's email is a honest answer based on experience, a cushion or a reflection of school leadership in transition/turmoil?

However, my #1 concern is that GW is ignoring what is actually happening in the changing NCAA coaching/transfer environment in favor of plodding along thinking they have leverage they don't have or that an Ok hire is good enough.

I personally think the JC termination was in the works for the past 9-12 months. I don't say this lightly. I have shared with some of you the evidence. The evidence (in summation but I have more) amounts to it was well known within GW and outside that someone within GW wanted JC out after last season. Coaches from other school and others connected to GW have reported this to me from time to time well before JC was terminated and as far back as last Summer. JC was aware of this. I thought it was a joke then. It obviously was not. So you have to ask yourself if this was true (and I believe it was), how did GW not have a plan to move quickly (putting aside the inherent unfairness to JC)?

And I just want to be clear about something. JC was not terminated for cause. I know there was an ugly rumor (I won't dignify it by discussing it in detail) posted on this board at some point this past year and that rumor was reported far and wide outside of GW. That rumor was investigated within GW and found to have zero merit and all parties were satisfied that it did not occur. So anyone that thinks that JC was terminated for cause would be very mistaken and we should end any implications about that here. But you ought to ask yourself why this rumor came to be and where did this rumor emanate from?

3/31/2022 10:19 am  #463

GWRising wrote:

. So anyone that thinks that JC was terminated for cause would be very mistaken and we should end any implications about that here. But you ought to ask yourself why this rumor came to be and where did this rumor emanate from?

Wow, yeah. So weird some of us could expect diva behavior in an Athletic Department run by PN's deputy. I know I'll be a lot less given to drama and conspiracy theory once the department wants to quit engaging in conduct that is objectively 100% dramatic and conspiratorial.

Last edited by Mentzinger (3/31/2022 10:22 am)

3/31/2022 10:28 am  #464

Gwmayhem wrote:

Wow, Karl Hobbs is really a beloved figure here.  It has been a while but I do remember pretty clearly how I was one of the very few people who did not want to see Hobbs fired.  Similar to JC, there were signs that he was turning his program back in the right direction.  When coupling this with his enormous accomplishments at GW, I disagreed vehemently with the decision to fire him.  I railed against firehobbs.com, and complained about people who were naming his possible replacement before he had actually been fired.  I do not recall a lot of people in my corner 11 years ago.  But today, he is "basketball royalty?"  Just amazing. (SMH)

I can only speak for myself but my first memories of GW were following the team in the 05 tourney since I knew I got in, the whole 05-06 season as a freshman, and then following it up in the 06-07 A10 tourney. To me those players and Hobbs are what I think of when I think of GW basketball.  Kind of like how people always think SNL was funniest when they first started watching it.

So yeah, basketball royalty in my book.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/31/2022 10:30 am)

3/31/2022 10:49 am  #465

Why is GW always pleading poverty when it comes to its men's basketball program? There doesn't seem to be a legit reason looking at two yardsticks of a school's ability to fund a program. As for endowment size, believe it or not GW ranks second in the A10 as of 2020-2021, according to Wikipedia, with an endowment of  $2.41 billion (Richmond is tops at $3.30 billion). And how about undergraduate size? While GW had 11,763 undergrads in 2020-2021, these successful A10 programs had fewer: Dayton 8,644, St. Louis 7,723, Richmond 3,323, Davidson 1,983, and St. Bonaventure 1,839. Sad conclusion: GW has never really cared about the success of its program in terms of financial and other resources. One last point. People complain about the extent of alumni support of the team in terms of donations. I would argue that, because GW has not traditionally had a successful program, the school and the team will  first have to show commitment of resources and on-court success BEFORE that changes. In other words, "build it (a successful program) and they will come (donors). In conclusion, we are again at a crossroads for the program--the hiring of a new coach. Will GW finally step up and make the commitment necessary to really turn things around or will it revert back to its tradition of running its program essentially on the cheap. We'll soon know but I, for one, am not hopeful. I hope I'm wrong.

3/31/2022 11:02 am  #466

Here’s an unbiased assessment of how GW looks to potential HC hires:

@BillKoch25
Limited budget, bottom half facilities, administrative question marks and each of the last two coaches were only given three years.

If I'm an agent and my client is a rising star, I'm not letting him take that job unless there's a considerable tenure/financial offer.

3/31/2022 11:06 am  #467

Rising...I know that a strong argument could be made for having retained Christian, especially based upon the improvements in conference play and other reasons, but you don't seem to recognized that the discharge of a coach who has gone 29-50 over 3 seasons, including too many losses of the embarassing nature, is certainly a strong argument for discharge.   There very well may be sinister reasons beyond the play of the team which caused the discharge, but the fact that he was let go based upon the 3 year record is hardly without cause, whether or not you are in agreement.   

3/31/2022 11:08 am  #468

GW0509 wrote:

@BillKoch25
Limited budget, bottom half facilities, administrative question marks and each of the last two coaches were only given three years.

If I'm an agent and my client is a rising star, I'm not letting him take that job unless there's a considerable tenure/financial offer.

Yup. As I said before, these things are all self-inflicted and didn't need to be that way.

3/31/2022 11:11 am  #469

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Rising...I know that a strong argument could be made for having retained Christian, especially based upon the improvements in conference play and other reasons, but you don't seem to recognized that the discharge of a coach who has gone 29-50 over 3 seasons, including too many losses of the embarassing nature, is certainly a strong argument for discharge.   There very well may be sinister reasons beyond the play of the team which caused the discharge, but the fact that he was let go based upon the 3 year record is hardly without cause, whether or not you are in agreement.   

If you look solely at the record, I don't disagree. But a smart decision is not to look solely at the record and look at trends. We were trending up and I firmly believe we were going to turn the corner next year. If we didn't then I think JC and everyone would understand the deal. But given all the circumstances that GW faced and where JC inherited the program, I think three years just simply wasn't enough time. And if someone was trying to run him out after 2 years, then it is even more unfair.

3/31/2022 11:43 am  #470

GW0509 wrote:

@BillKoch25

With due respect, this tweet is why you can’t rehire Karl Hobbs.   When Hobbs was here, all he did was complain about the negatives of GW (including attacking the small number of loyal fans). I would not want to go through that again.

We need to find a coach who can succeed and has Lonergan’s attitude of seeing GW as a great job at a great school with considerable strengths to build on.

A few other responses to things in this thread:

1) GW rising says we should be skeptical of anonymous rumors and who starts them and why.  I think that applies to everything on this board and on Twitter. Including the allegations about Diaz (could be true, I have no idea, but they are unsubstantiated, not specific, and do support an agenda).  Same for this $100k short comment on Twitter. Could be gossip, could hr true, could be an agent feeding it to someone to tweet about or spread in hopes of getting more money for their client.  We don’t know the source, and we don’t know who started it or why.

2) another reason I’m not for Hobbs, besides the constant negativity toward GW, is that when he was here he only succeeded when his team was more athletic than our opponent. Even the great 06 team lost to the only two teams (NC St and Duke) we played that could match our athleticism.  That said, Rutgers played a more structured offense and defense, so it’s possible that what he’s learned in the years since GW have fixed his weakness. If he’s figured out how to coach teams to win without simply exploiting athletic mismatches, he could be amazing. But it would be very risky to find out.

3) with all the transfer portal activity, I will be bummed if our new coach isn’t announced today or tomorrow.

3/31/2022 11:50 am  #471

GWRising wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

If you look solely at the record, I don't disagree. But a smart decision is not to look solely at the record and look at trends. We were trending up and I firmly believe we were going to turn the corner next year. If we didn't then I think JC and everyone would understand the deal. But given all the circumstances that GW faced and where JC inherited the program, I think three years just simply wasn't enough time. And if someone was trying to run him out after 2 years, then it is even more unfair.

We ended the season getting annihilated by Umass in the biggest game of the year, getting easily beaten by Fordham, and barely getting by a Duquesne team that has lost 15 straight.  To me, that undermines any serious claims of us trending up at the end of the year.  To be sure, we were pathetically bad (barely top 300) in the OOC, so we clearly improved, but I’m not sure how anyone could see us be non-competitive vs most of the top teams in the league and revert to earlier season form vs bad teams at the end and think we were about to become a top 100 team again next year. Maybe if we brought in two Bamisile level front court transfers, though signing Keegan Harvey (which feels eerily similar to Dean and Qwanzi signings) gives me doubt about it.

3/31/2022 11:51 am  #472

I always like Hobbsie.

As this is dragging along, I am getting nervous and feeling that TV screwed up again.  It is cementing the belief she was not qualified in the first place. 

On the other hand, if there was a quick hire, I would complain about no national search and rushing into a bad hire.

Bottom line, based on her track history, I have no confidence she would do the right thing.  

I really hope it isn't one of the "localish" lower level HCs.

3/31/2022 12:02 pm  #473

There is no argument to be made for retaining Christian. None!  29-50 says it all! There is nothing else to consider. I'm just shocked that GW fired him with two years left on his contract. In my opinion, he was paid very, very well considering what he produced. 

3/31/2022 12:11 pm  #474

moneybox wrote:

There is no argument to be made for retaining Christian. None!  29-50 says it all! There is nothing else to consider. I'm just shocked that GW fired him with two years left on his contract. In my opinion, he was paid very, very well considering what he produced. 

SMDH. New to college basketball and GW?

3/31/2022 12:31 pm  #475

3/31/2022 12:42 pm  #476

3/31/2022 12:46 pm  #477

Had to look it up. But not really a headshaking notion that someone with JC's record was overpaid
and doesn't deserve mocking, if one disagrees.
  As we are discussing on this thread, the job comes with a big salary. The average American or university employee would find it unimaginable that $100,000 is chump change, not worth quibbling over. 
  While it may indeed not be worth it in our negotiations, that would only be for a winner.
  With the salary comes the responsibility to succeed, not exclusively, but primarily on the court.
We didn't so in three years, even at end of this season, punctuated with a lifeless blowout by
a team that had already fired its coach for performance. 
So the decision, while pleasantly surprising, certainly seems by any objective measure, to be correct.

3/31/2022 1:03 pm  #478

Three years?   Everyone is really OK with firing a coach on a 5 year contract after 3 years?

Let's get the obvious out of the way.  MoJo was hired as an interim head coach who was inexplicably extended by a corrupt AD who clearly sabotaged this program.  He had never been a head coach, was not ready to be one at the A10 level, and his teams progressed steadily in the wrong direction during his tenure.  Not at all the same thing as Jamion.

Back to the original question.  Are we really OK cutting ties with a coaching staff who did not have even a full recruiting cycle to turn things around? (Remember, he inherited a 9-24 team.)  Even if you are fully convinced that Jamion was the wrong guy to lead this program, how can you not give him a 4th year anyway to make sure he's not the right guy?  There was improvement in conference play, and that was without Ira Lee, a player we desperately needed and who JC successfully recruited.  What if James, Joe, Brayon and Brendan all return with JC as coach and JC gets some quality additions in the frontcourt?  This is all hypothetical I realize but might that result in a 5th-6th place A10 finish next season?  If that team makes the NIT, is Jamion still the wrong guy?

I get it.  He didn't get it done.  The Lee injury was a bad break but we can't not evaluate coaching performance due to bad breaks.  But seriously, we were not a laughing stock this season, certainly not in conference play.  

But putting records and performance aside, unless you're being fired with cause or are a pawn being used to help sink a program, doesn't every head coach deserve a minimum of four years on the job?  

3/31/2022 1:11 pm  #479

While the hand-wringing and hysterics over a new MBB coach takes over the oxygen on the board, thought it was due time to pay homage to former AD Steve Bilsky. My memory could be faulty but I believe he was the only GW AD in my 53 years following GW that wasn’t trashed by the fan base for decisions made and not made, with or without knowledge or empirical evidence supporting the J’accuse declarations.

3/31/2022 1:13 pm  #480

Gwmayhem wrote:

Three years?   Everyone is really OK with firing a coach on a 5 year contract after 3 years?

Let's get the obvious out of the way.  MoJo was hired as an interim head coach who was inexplicably extended by a corrupt AD who clearly sabotaged this program.  He had never been a head coach, was not ready to be one at the A10 level, and his teams progressed steadily in the wrong direction during his tenure.  Not at all the same thing as Jamion.

Back to the original question.  Are we really OK cutting ties with a coaching staff who did not have even a full recruiting cycle to turn things around? (Remember, he inherited a 9-24 team.)  Even if you are fully convinced that Jamion was the wrong guy to lead this program, how can you not give him a 4th year anyway to make sure he's not the right guy?  There was improvement in conference play, and that was without Ira Lee, a player we desperately needed and who JC successfully recruited.  What if James, Joe, Brayon and Brendan all return with JC as coach and JC gets some quality additions in the frontcourt?  This is all hypothetical I realize but might that result in a 5th-6th place A10 finish next season?  If that team makes the NIT, is Jamion still the wrong guy?

I get it.  He didn't get it done.  The Lee injury was a bad break but we can't not evaluate coaching performance due to bad breaks.  But seriously, we were not a laughing stock this season, certainly not in conference play.  

But putting records and performance aside, unless you're being fired with cause or are a pawn being used to help sink a program, doesn't every head coach deserve a minimum of four years on the job?  

It’s almost impossible to go from sub-200 to the NiT, especially with a coach who never coached a top 200 team in 7 years as a head coach.

But we could extend your hypothetical, what if he came back next year and we made the final 4?  In that case, firing him would have been a mistake. But in reality, year three saw us finish 226th in the nation per KenPom, and go just 9-9 against teams outside the top 150.  That’s bad by any measure.

Board footera