GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2022 2:33 pm  #41

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

GW hasn't had a coaching vacancy without a frontrunner in probably 30 years.
ML was pre-ordained.
KH and TP were part of the Perno-Kvancz UConn Mob.
MJ, probably our best coach ever, was the last guy we hired without much connection (though he was our second BU poach in less than a decade).
None of the names out there have any organic connection to GW whatsoever (unless you wanted to play six degrees of separation with Inglesby via Brey).
It's pretty scary. 

3/15/2022 2:52 pm  #42

Seriously, if season ticketholders were going to give up their 35 to 50 year held tickets over another season of JC ball, what would happen if JTIII, actual fruit of the Evil Empire came here?
   Just the threat of him made the choice of JC seem like John Wooden in comparison back then. 
 How in the world is he being mentioned again in a serious breath? Again, fortunately not a Tanya favorite, but his agent/PR team is a heck of a lot better than his coaching ability if he is mentioned amongst candidates who didn't disdain us.
      Hope we have more self-respect this time around.
    Don't recall if it was Parker Executive Search (great job last time!) or whoever foisted him on us as a serious candidate last time.
  But don't do it again, unless GW wants to risk losing some of its tens of hardcore fans.

3/15/2022 3:35 pm  #43

Mentzinger wrote:

None of the names out there have any organic connection to GW whatsoever 

Becker coached Gallaudet, was an assistant at Catholic and has a MS from GW.

3/15/2022 3:54 pm  #44

and tell me why Lonergan should not be in the mix if Tanya approached on bent knee????????

3/15/2022 4:20 pm  #45

Probably the same incorrect reason he lost the job,plus possibly/probably settlement issues. Or as a poster aptly refers to it the Knapp/Nero/Maltzman curse.
Also some heads would explode here.
Don't want to hijack this thread,but also we need to reflect a bit on why we are at this point again.
Know we're not supposed to talk about it,even though it's been the elephant in the dung-filled room for 6 years,it also does bring up the morality of a man losing his entire livelihood over unproven and did proven allegations. One word: Deadspin.
Putting it in current relevance: it may (or may not) be a factor if successful coach Becker would somehow/some way wish to coach here. And it may cause other suitable candidates some hesitance,to put it mildly.
  Decisions have consequences. And we've been feeling them for a long time.

3/15/2022 7:30 pm  #46

Florida Colonial wrote:

[color=inherit]Major Madness[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/low_madness]@low_madness·1h Early Names at George Washington James Jones Yale Jason Williford Virginia Chris Caputo Miami Matt Langel Colgate JT3 Fmr Georgetown Pat Skerry Towson Martin Ingelsby Delaware * Some folks say Konkol in on this one. But I think he's played his way into better jobs.

Lot of names that would bum me out here (though of course I would support them).   JT3 might end my season tickets so hopefully this is just his agent trying to hype him like 3 years ago.

Pat Skerry has been at Towson for over 10 years and never made the tourney, so that’s a joker

Inglesby has proven nothing in 6 years at Delaware, though he made the ncaas as a 145th ranked 4 seed in the CAA by winning the conf tourney this year. His agent doing a nice job trying to build buzz off one lucky run, but come on.

On Capitol, I’d be very curious to know why GW Rising, who  sucks up to coaches and defends them at all costs, doesn’t like Caputo.  Not sure I’ve ever seen him criticize a coach before today.

3/15/2022 9:16 pm  #47

I didn't think I'd ever agree with Dude on anything, but I agree that Matt Langel is a very interesting option.  He took a bad Colgate team and over the last 10 years made them the cream of their conference.  If we were patient with him, I think he could do the same here.

Outside of him, I'd be interested in Wojo.  I think he could create some good buzz for the programs,  I thought he did a good job at a program that thinks too much of itself.  

3/15/2022 9:24 pm  #48

I think you guys are crazy to dismiss JT3. I hate Georgetown as much as anyone, but its common in sports to hate someone that is on your rival team, until they come to your team. I didn't mind it when the Redskins hired Norv Turner, who was the OC for the hated Cowboys, as their head coach, or when they signed Donovan McNabb, the QB for the hated Eagles, to be their QB. And I loved it when the Caps acquired Hagelin, even though he used to torture us every year for the hated Penguins.

JT3 got Princeton to the NCAA tournament twice in four years, and got Georgetown there 8 out of 13 years. He won 9 NCAA tournament games, which is more than twice as many as GW has in its entire history, and got them to a Final 4, when the best we've ever done is the Sweet 16. He has 346 wins and a win percentage of .642. His hire would do several good things for the program: 1) it would improve our local recruiting (young kids might not remember Georgetown's heyday, but they all know his name a hell of a lot better than any of the other folks being mentioned here); 2) we would actually get local press again (the WaPo, local sports radio - all the local sports personalities love JT3); and 3) it would increase attendance (yes, some long-time GW fans would be turned off, but locals who have never been to the Smith Center would start following the team and attending games).

It doesn't matter, though, because JT3 reportedly asked for a $1M a year salary three years ago and GW was too cheap to pay it. Instead, they reportedly offered the job to JC for half the cost.

Last edited by DC Native (3/15/2022 9:24 pm)

3/16/2022 6:12 am  #49

BM wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

None of the names out there have any organic connection to GW whatsoever 

Becker coached Gallaudet, was an assistant at Catholic and has a MS from GW.

That gives me no comfort. Nor does that article you posted about Parker. 
With no one "in the clubhouse," a clueless AD and a search firm under fire, this should go well. Really good argument to be made for checking out right now and coming back in 2030 to see how it's going.

3/16/2022 6:25 am  #50

DC Native wrote:

I think you guys are crazy to dismiss JT3. I hate Georgetown as much as anyone, but its common in sports to hate someone that is on your rival team, until they come to your team. I didn't mind it when the Redskins hired Norv Turner, who was the OC for the hated Cowboys, as their head coach, or when they signed Donovan McNabb, the QB for the hated Eagles, to be their QB. And I loved it when the Caps acquired Hagelin, even though he used to torture us every year for the hated Penguins.

JT3 got Princeton to the NCAA tournament twice in four years, and got Georgetown there 8 out of 13 years. He won 9 NCAA tournament games, which is more than twice as many as GW has in its entire history, and got them to a Final 4, when the best we've ever done is the Sweet 16. He has 346 wins and a win percentage of .642. His hire would do several good things for the program: 1) it would improve our local recruiting (young kids might not remember Georgetown's heyday, but they all know his name a hell of a lot better than any of the other folks being mentioned here); 2) we would actually get local press again (the WaPo, local sports radio - all the local sports personalities love JT3); and 3) it would increase attendance (yes, some long-time GW fans would be turned off, but locals who have never been to the Smith Center would start following the team and attending games).

It doesn't matter, though, because JT3 reportedly asked for a $1M a year salary three years ago and GW was too cheap to pay it. Instead, they reportedly offered the job to JC for half the cost.

Nope.   He will fail at his next job like all things connected to the John Thompson era at Georgetown and he would be a slap in the face to every GW fan.   The analogy to the Washington RacistNames is terrible because pros are not the same and because the Cowboys never ended the rivalry with the  RacistNames as part of a plot to hold the RacistNames down.

3/16/2022 8:11 am  #51

A friend asked me a question, why are we using a search firm? We all have ideas here, surely the department has their own ideas and connections too. Does the search firm do a lot of background research the department can’t do or something?

3/16/2022 8:12 am  #52

Also heard a lot of mentions of Phil Martelli and Frank Martin formerly of South Carolina on Twitter, I don’t know much about Martin. I would assume Martelli is looking bigger but he won in the A10.

Last edited by squid (3/16/2022 8:17 am)

3/16/2022 8:30 am  #53

squid wrote:

A friend asked me a question, why are we using a search firm? We all have ideas here, surely the department has their own ideas and connections too. Does the search firm do a lot of background research the department can’t do or something?

I Imagine it works like any other staffing company where they email candidates on GW’s behalf to gauge interest and salary expectations and then if there’s interest they’ll forward the name onto GW.  It’s definitely a racket but even Fortune 500 companies will use search firms to hire CEOs and such so it’s just sort of an accepted part of the game.

Take it fwiw, but here is how the describe their process: https://www.parkersearch.com/search-process-sports

3/16/2022 12:14 pm  #54

DC Native wrote:

Appreciate that first line from DC Native about hating as much as anyone. Respectfully, but vehemently disagree.
He last coached in 2017 when he was fired. No one has fired him since then.  
  He eschewed going anywhere near playing us. In fact, he might have been the one who killed off the BB&T after having us suffer through playing there with a live branding exercise for Georget*@n and barely a hint of our presence. No thanks. 
   How much more self-loathing can we have after the past 6 years?
Already, very long time season ticketholders were ready to flee with one more season of JC.
  Hire JTIII from the Evil Empire which has done nothing but dis us for decades and see what happens
to GW's fan base.

3/16/2022 12:56 pm  #55

JTIII is not getting hired. Next.

3/16/2022 1:12 pm  #56

How about a young, Duke-grad, current NBA assistant who would instantly turn GW basketball into a huge national story and boost the fan base by tens of millions? Lindsey Harding would fill that role.
(not as far-fetched as a fomer Evil Empire minion or an assistant at a football school who has been so high on so many "lists" for so many years that he has never taken a head coaching position).

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (3/16/2022 1:23 pm)

3/16/2022 1:27 pm  #57

GW0509 wrote:

I Imagine it works like any other staffing company where they email candidates on GW’s behalf to gauge interest and salary expectations and then if there’s interest they’ll forward the name onto GW.  It’s definitely a racket but even Fortune 500 companies will use search firms to hire CEOs and such so it’s just sort of an accepted part of the game.

Right, I understand what they do, just what is the value to us? It seems like we could do a lot of that internally and might have good relationships already built that the firm may not. Especially since as others noted their results before haven’t been great and presumably there is some cost to it. Does every school hire a search firm these days?

3/16/2022 1:41 pm  #58

squid wrote:

Right, I understand what they do, just what is the value to us? It seems like we could do a lot of that internally and might have good relationships already built that the firm may not. Especially since as others noted their results before haven’t been great and presumably there is some cost to it. Does every school hire a search firm these days?

Well therein lies the racket. Some say ADs hire search firms (often using the same one multiple times) so that the search firm will include the AD down the road in the list of candidates when a bigger job comes open.

I agree most ADs could do the job without hiring one but there’s a level of convenience in having a good chunk of the research done for you.

3/16/2022 1:47 pm  #59

GW has had two serious problems when recruiting head coaches in the past --one old, one newer. The old one is the University's refusal to pay a top flight candidate the amount of money needed to actually get him here. Second, and the newer problem, is that, after the Lonergan fiasco, I am convinced that the school opted for a nice guy who wouldn't yell at the players for any reason, ie, Jamion Christian. A coach must be able to discipline his players for a myriad of reasons (not abuse them--verbally or otherwise, of course)  and, if he can't do that, the players simply won't improve. If GW wants to break out of that unsuccessful mold, it must correct those problems.

3/16/2022 1:50 pm  #60

No search firm needed - plus we don't have the money to pay for that service.

Tanya will lead this search with her vast amount of experience (she is taking a mulligan on the JC hire).
I'm hearing she will get some assistance by hiring her mentor Nero who has had his own consulting firm since his firing 5 years ago. Not sure if we should be concerned that GW will be his firm's 1st client in 5 years!

Board footera