GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2022 2:30 pm  #61

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

Seems like Archie Miller to URI is a real possibility

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1504178001881219072

3/16/2022 3:59 pm  #62

Another problem: Top flight coaches usually don't want to be hired for reclamation projects. GW will have to overcome that fact with some really decent money this time.

3/17/2022 8:48 am  #63

AS ALWAYS, Mike Hall nails it.  Even if we don't go with Hobbs, the way the 00's alumni have been treated by ML, MJ, and JC has been a sore spot.

From his Twitter:

Bring Hobbs back to GW with TJ as lead assistant. Build a program that focuses on pride and family..honoring the past and preparing for the future. Be the scrappy mid major that every underdog recruit along the eastern seaboard will be dying to play for

How many former Colonials have been given a chance to coach in the past 20 years…2? Colluci and Joe Mac? That’s absurd. An instant jolt to your program and an unbelievable amount of interest from alumni is RIGHT THERE

You can pay a search firm 6 figures to find an overachieving MM coach/HM assistant or you can consult the 20 former players, alumni, and boosters that still follow and care about this program

I know there’s only 20 of us left because they’ve all reached out in the past 48 hours. So the GW powers that be better nail it because the last time we went through this…there were 30 of us

Last edited by GW0509 (3/17/2022 8:58 am)

3/17/2022 9:11 am  #64

If Hobbs is interested, it's definitely worth an interview.

3/17/2022 9:12 am  #65

I'm 100% in agreement with Mike. Lets just hope they're listening to our basketball alums

3/17/2022 9:42 am  #66

I don't believe MH would write this if he didn't believe Hobbs would do it! THAT WOULD BE INCREDIBLE!!! Bring Back Hobbs!!!

3/17/2022 9:43 am  #67

Hobbs?  My goodness.  I can still recall 11 years ago when I felt all alone on an island wanting Hobbs to stay. Somewhat similar to JC, his last two GW teams had shown some progress relative to the prior two seasons which I factored along with the great strides that he had led this program to from 2003-2007. And I swear when I say that practically every other poster on the former site wanted him gone.   I guess time does heal all wounds.

Today, I would not be thrilled with the choice of Hobbs.  Kind of a "been there, done that"  feeling.  Comments pertaining to KH's petulance, complaints, etc. are not lost on me and are valid.  If he thought he had much to be dissatisfied with a dozen years ago, I can only imagine how he would feel about things in Foggy Bottom today.  I would take a pass on KH, and unlike some of you, I greatly appreciated all that he brought to GW.

Switching gears, I wanted to comment on one fundamental role that I believe needs to be filled and has been void for a while now.  During the KH heyday, we had Dr. Chernak who truly championed causes to the school's administration on behalf of the program.  And, this was with Jack Kvancz as the AD (I won't go there but can at least acknowledge that he was a "basketball guy.")  Today, we have an AD who is undoubtedly learning more and more about the value and importance of this program but who lacks the pure basketball experience that a JK had.  More importantly, TV does not seem to have a Dr. Chernak by her side.  While I am not on the inside and therefore can't specifically say with absolute certainty that the past 6 years would definitely have gone more smoothly had such a figure been around to serve as a conduit between the basketball program and the administration,  it does stand to reason that had such a figure emerged, this would have been ion the best interests of the program and its fans.  

Perhaps it's time for someone within GW's leadership to step forward and take on the role formerly executed by Dr. Chernak.  

3/17/2022 9:50 am  #68

Mike Hall is right that the alum players need to be kept part of the team. I watched the end of UVA's game (NIT) last night and saw that they have a 7'1" Argentinian center. Why does UVA have him, when we have Pato who is on the Argentinian Olympic team as an alum? Remember when we used to hang various flags to show our 'international' nature of the team? Not so long ago, and we actually had some good players and teams then.

With that said, every time we are on a coach search, my first choices are Alums. Yeah, I know that Ewing is an alum for GT, but that's the point. I'd rather have a bad coach who is an alum, than to have a bad coach who has no desire to succeed, except for their own ego.

Mike Brown - like 18 years in the NBA, and various coaching jobs after. He's getting old though.
Pops - he has the ability to coach.
Joe Mac - Last I heard coaching high school after asst coaching GW.
Mike Hall - great international career. A good guy, and a team player.

I could go on. Some of our international players could be good choices. The point I'm trying to make is we keep making the same choices, picking from the same pile, and having the same problems. I think that we should change it up and bring in new blood, for both our team, as well as the NCAA.

3/17/2022 9:52 am  #69

I'm not going to go out on a limb and say we should go all in bringing Karl Hobbs back. But he checks all the boxes in what I want for a coach. Someone with experience as an assistant at a successful high major, as a head coach with some success, and someone that can recruit and most importantly coach in games. 

The big issue is how much will it cost to find someone like that. 

3/17/2022 10:04 am  #70

KH would certainly win the coaches annual stomp and frown contest.

3/17/2022 10:06 am  #71

Rutgers season just ended last night in double overtime, so Hobbs could be interviewed/offered the job in the next few days. GWRising listed Rutgers assistant Brandin Knight as a candidate. Would GW really skip over Hobbs for Brandin Knight? I'm assuming Knight must be the lead recruiter for Rutgers if he's a candidate. 

Having Hobbs, TJ Thompson and other former GW players/coaches on the sideline would bring back a lot of positivity and excitement for the fanbase.

Mike Hall mentioned Greg Colluci in his tweet, where is he coaching at? I believe Joe McDonald is/was coaching with Hajh Turner at a local D.C. area high school. Are there any other former GW players coaching anywhere? 

3/17/2022 10:15 am  #72

Thomas wrote:

Are there any other former GW players coaching anywhere? 

Rock Battistoni coaches at Loomis Chaffee.

3/17/2022 10:23 am  #73

Jason Williford at UVa is also having his name connected with our job as a possible candidate.

3/17/2022 10:28 am  #74

Someone dust off John Kuester!
And I'll take Mike Jarvis for AD as well, Alex.

3/17/2022 10:52 am  #75

Gwmayhem wrote:

Hobbs?  My goodness.  I can still recall 11 years ago when I felt all alone on an island wanting Hobbs to stay. Somewhat similar to JC, his last two GW teams had shown some progress relative to the prior two seasons which I factored along with the great strides that he had led this program to from 2003-2007. And I swear when I say that practically every other poster on the former site wanted him gone.   I guess time does heal all wounds.

Today, I would not be thrilled with the choice of Hobbs.  Kind of a "been there, done that"  feeling.  Comments pertaining to KH's petulance, complaints, etc. are not lost on me and are valid.  If he thought he had much to be dissatisfied with a dozen years ago, I can only imagine how he would feel about things in Foggy Bottom today.  I would take a pass on KH, and unlike some of you, I greatly appreciated all that he brought to GW.

Switching gears, I wanted to comment on one fundamental role that I believe needs to be filled and has been void for a while now.  During the KH heyday, we had Dr. Chernak who truly championed causes to the school's administration on behalf of the program.  And, this was with Jack Kvancz as the AD (I won't go there but can at least acknowledge that he was a "basketball guy.")  Today, we have an AD who is undoubtedly learning more and more about the value and importance of this program but who lacks the pure basketball experience that a JK had.  More importantly, TV does not seem to have a Dr. Chernak by her side.  While I am not on the inside and therefore can't specifically say with absolute certainty that the past 6 years would definitely have gone more smoothly had such a figure been around to serve as a conduit between the basketball program and the administration,  it does stand to reason that had such a figure emerged, this would have been ion the best interests of the program and its fans.  

Perhaps it's time for someone within GW's leadership to step forward and take on the role formerly executed by Dr. Chernak.  

Important point GWMayhem. Thank you.

I couldn't more that we need another Chernak in the GW administration.  He wasn't just there for Hobbs. Chernak arrived in 1988 and the successful days of Mike Jarvis followed.  I don't see much hope for the future of GW sports without a Chernak in the administration.

https://gwtoday.gwu.edu/robert-chernak-retires-after-24-years

3/17/2022 11:06 am  #76

There needs to be someone in GW's Admin, above the AD, who believes in the program to the point where they will steer some extra $ to it for recruiting trips, asst coach salaries etc.  Chernak was certainly that person.  I don't believe GW has someone in their Admin today like this.  The school has other challenges, so I highly doubt it.  I do think TV probably had to go to the interim President for his approval to cut JC loose with a year left on his contract.  Maybe he is thinking about the program more than the previous couple of Presidents did.

On the coaching note, I do think it is interesting that we are hearing older A-10 coaches names like Archie Miller, Martelli, and Hobbs being mentioned out there again.  Maybe GW shouldn't go with a younger coach from a lower conference, but a more seasoned coach, even if they are an Asst in a higher conference.  Just to try a different direction this time.

3/17/2022 11:19 am  #77

Does anyone have any interactions with the new Provost? Seems like a young-ish guy who went to undergrad at UNC. He should know what a strong sports program does for a school.

As for an older coach I think it depends on who it is but the right coach could give our program a jolt of legitimacy. As in, if a coach like that goes to GW, there must be something good going on there.

Sort of like what URI is hoping for with Archie Miller. I think if they went with Grasso, the reaction wouldn’t be that URI is serious about competing quickly in the A10.

3/17/2022 12:00 pm  #78

Literally, anyone on the street in Foggy Bottom, including those living on it, would be a more positive force for GW basketball than the former Provost, who was a major protagonist in the unnecessary drama that left us in the raging dumpster fire we have endured for the past six years.
   Fine with Hobbs on a medium contract. He has it all--on paper. Back to a higher level, knows recruiting, always did, but now knows more on a high level, which has been a huge deficiency. Not the greatest Xs and Os guy, but as one recalls, pretty good with a game plan. At worst, we'd probably wind up at midpoint with the type of team that JC was unsuccessful in fully designing. 
    We did shade things a bit in recruiting, but beginning to see that as a good thing. The petulance against the program--and the fans who supported him, was a big deal. Would like to see an apology to us for that. Imagine he has matured enough for that.
    Pops and Mike Hall and TJ (who wisely passed on an assistant role here) would be an intriguing combination. Pops has been working in administration and scouting for awhile, is a great spokesman and role model for recruits and has the pro credentials, as does Mike. Maybe worth taking a flyer on, as nothing else works, but pretty sure that we won't.
  Very interesting thoughts from Mike. Don't know why he wasn't seriously considered, but the record of the departing staff spoke for itself.

3/17/2022 12:05 pm  #79

Word on new provost is that he isn't interested in sports. It would be nice for him to prove he does care about sports.

3/17/2022 2:15 pm  #80

GW73 wrote:

Word on new provost is that he isn't interested in sports. It would be nice for him to prove he does care about sports.

Well at least we know he attended one GW game (a win vs GMU in 2020).

Board footera