GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2022 2:01 pm  #1

Chris Caputo to GW!! Caputo and Miami to The Elite 8

Lot of Buzz around Caputo to GW

Last edited by The Dude (4/01/2022 12:07 am)

3/15/2022 2:17 pm  #2

Re: Chris Caputo to GW!! Caputo and Miami to The Elite 8

I guess if you want a guy who was an assistant at a program that was  62-59 over the past 4 years.

3/15/2022 2:18 pm  #3

Do you really feel the need to start threads stating what other people have already said here?  I know of course you would never do this but it's almost as if you're trying to take credit for work that isn't your own.

3/15/2022 2:21 pm  #4

Miami Basketball Associate Head Coach Chris Caputo was acknowledged on ESPN’s list of the best coaches under 40 Miami Basketball 

Associate Head Coach Chris Caputo has nine years under his belt at The U and has been Head Coach Jim Larrañaga’s right-hand man for 18 seasons.

'Caputo was recently named by ESPN as one of the 40 best college basketball coaches under 40 years old. This isn’t Caputo’s first time gaining attention nationally.Within the past year, the associate head coach was named one of Silver Waves Media’s 50 most impactful high major coaches in D1 men’s basketball, as well as Yardbarker’s 10 college hoops assistants on the rise.

So why has Caputo gained national recognition?
Caputo has played a large role in the recruitment and development of some of the Canes’ top players in recent memory.

The associate head coach has been on staff for three of Miami’s four five-star recruits in Miami Basketball history including:Bruce Brown and Dewan Hernandez and Lonnie Walker

Caputo’s elite ability to scout teams helped the Canes to top 40 marks in turnovers per game, scoring margin, and scoring defense. His scouting and recruitment abilities have played a big role in getting Miami to four NCAA tournaments

Last edited by The Dude (3/15/2022 2:23 pm)

3/15/2022 2:26 pm  #5

So Dude according to your article, he was primarily responsible for recruiting the players who had three straight losing seasons prior to this one lol.

Last edited by GWRising (3/15/2022 2:26 pm)

3/15/2022 6:40 pm  #6

Caputo looks like a great candidate in every sense

A lot of long time assistants have gone on to be really great Coaches, several recent notable examples

3/15/2022 9:19 pm  #7

You may have wanted to read the rest of that ESPN article.  #14 on that list.....Jamion Christian.  Shows how good of a list that was.  

3/15/2022 10:15 pm  #8

Caputo seems like the perfect choice

Young, yet very experienced.
Excellent Coach known for coaching great defense.
Proven, high level recruiter who got talent to come to a school that would rarely pick that school

Well liked and respected by fellow staff and players, not another guy who will end up in trouble for how he treats his players.

Last edited by The Dude (3/16/2022 1:04 am)

3/15/2022 10:35 pm  #9

Trolling the board doesn't hide the fact you don't know how to read.

3/21/2022 12:46 am  #10

Miami to the Sweet 16, dismantled 2 seed Auburn, stifling defense, Caputo's forte

Familiar territory for Caputo and Larranaga, who took a then Colonial league George Mason to the Final 4.   

THREE more Sweet 16s together at Miami.

Last edited by The Dude (3/21/2022 12:56 am)

3/21/2022 10:48 am  #11

The Dude wrote:

Miami to the Sweet 16, dismantled 2 seed Auburn, stifling defense, Caputo's forte

Familiar territory for Caputo and Larranaga, who took a then Colonial league George Mason to the Final 4.   

"Caputo's forte."  "Familiar territory for Caputo and Larranaga."

Raise your hand if you think The Dude never heard of Chris Caputo say three weeks ago.

3/21/2022 11:46 am  #12

Gwmayhem wrote:

The Dude wrote:

"Caputo's forte."  "Familiar territory for Caputo and Larranaga."

Raise your hand if you think The Dude never heard of Chris Caputo say three weeks ago.

Given the Dude's long track record here, I would think he'd be the last person Caputo would want in his corner. LOL.

3/21/2022 12:29 pm  #13

Caputo and every other prospective coaching candidate will do their due diligence and research the schools, including checking out the feel of the fan base and fan blogs. It won't take them much time with GW since we only have 1 fan board and 13 fans who post. One look at this board and our resident prolific poster (who still holds the lead with over 2000 posts) and they will ask Tanya to stop calling.

3/23/2022 12:22 am  #14

After hiring two very young Coaches, someone like Caputo with 2+ decades of experience could be the inclination.

Steve Fisher's long time Assistant Brian Dutcher, 27 years together, is doing a great job at San Diego St.  4 NCAA Tourneys in 5 years, including the 30-2 team in the Covid cut short year.

How about this for an Assistant resume:

Dutcher has more than 30 years of coaching experience, including 18 seasons as an assistant to Steve Fisher at San Diego State preceded by nine at the University of Michigan. Dutcher and then-interim coach Fisher in 1989 when Michigan won the national championship. Dutcher is credited for having a central role in recruiting the Fab Five to Michigan and for bringing Kawhi Leonard to San Diego State

Caputo is extremely well liked by his players so no need to worry about prior mishap either

Last edited by The Dude (3/23/2022 12:28 am)

3/23/2022 9:08 am  #15

I think some fair points are being made regarding whether one should hope that Caputo does not get the job due to a prior relationship with Diaz.  Even if you're willing to assume that Diaz has done more here than simply recommending  a candidate (as opposed to strong arming one), this should not be held against Caputo if he is a strong candidate, which he appears to be on his own merit.

What I probably should not find surprising is that many of you, undoubtedly with our recent past at the top of your minds, sound really OK with bringing in someone who has an excellent chance of leaving in 4 years if he can help get this program back on track.  It's easy to say "let's worry about this in 4 years when we're back competing for postseason tournament spots."    I do understand this.  My concerns though are as follows:

1) Caputo is really the heir apparent to take over for Larranaga when he retires.  There is no absolute telling when this will be (he is signed through 2025-26) nor is it a guarantee that Caputo will be selected.  Sometimes, these situations do not work out.  But as it stands today, this is the plan.

2) If Caputo were to do a poor job at GW, Miami could pass him over but how much longer would we want him as coach after 4 years if he's not improving the program?  If he does a good job, would you honestly be happy that he's leaving GW after just 4 seasons?

3) This would leave us vulnerable in recruiting circles.  Opposing recruiters will be quick to point out that a player may only be playing for Caputo for a year or two, during Years 3 and 4 of his tenure.

My position is not that Caputo or anyone should be committing to GW for life (though we did have someone who was pretty close) or even say 10 years.  But 4 just doesn't seem like nearly enough.  I can only hope that the elephant in the room is addressed during interviews.  How does Chris answer the question of whether he would leave GW for Miami in 4 years should Larranaga retire then.  If I am GW, I am thinking long and hard about this answer.  At the very least, please make sure the question is asked.

For those who think it's ridiculous to think this way, let's see if Chris is hired and if so, I'd be happy to bookmark this discussion for a later time.

3/23/2022 12:49 pm  #16

Gwmayhem wrote:

I think some fair points are being made regarding whether one should hope that Caputo does not get the job due to a prior relationship with Diaz.  Even if you're willing to assume that Diaz has done more here than simply recommending  a candidate (as opposed to strong arming one), this should not be held against Caputo if he is a strong candidate, which he appears to be on his own merit.

And here I thought you were going somewhere else with this.

Say you’re TV. Your job as AD is to advocate for the school’s athletics to be funded to their fullest extent. You have in Mark Diaz someone who controls the purse strings and is a big determining factor of how well the basketball team can operate. It makes sense to want to make him happy.

At the same time, you are the AD and normally you are given the authority and autonomy to hire/fire whomever you want and to live/die with those decisions.

Do you completely give up your authority as AD and allow a non-athletics exec to steer the hiring process to potentially get the most resources for your high profile team, or do you exert your authority as AD to make the choice you want, even if that angers the CFO?

Like most here I just want to win and if Caputo does that I don’t really care how it happened, but it’s an interesting dynamic to contend with if you’re TV and hope to make a career out of athletics administration, be it here or elsewhere.

3/23/2022 1:14 pm  #17

I know there has been a lot of talk about GW doing things on the cheap, and I am generally in agreement with that.  On the other hand, they just dismissed a coach with 2 years remaining on his contract.   If money was the sole factor, they would have kept Christian on, as this would have been a very easy decision to justify on improvement of the team from last season.

3/23/2022 1:16 pm  #18

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I know there has been a lot of talk about GW doing things on the cheap, and I am generally in agreement with that.  On the other hand, they just dismissed a coach with 2 years remaining on his contract.   If money was the sole factor, they would have kept Christian on, as this would have been a very easy decision to justify on improvement of the team from last season.

Exactly. That's part of the issue. We have no money for program improvement but we have millions to buyout or settle with coaches and administrators. What if they took the money they are paying people not to do their jobs and actually put it into the program?

3/23/2022 1:43 pm  #19

It all goes back to the original situation that caused this and we shouldn't forget that.
  Not that our dismal performance since then has allowed us to do so.
  It's the gift from Nero, Maltzman, Knapp, etc. that keeps on giving.

3/23/2022 2:21 pm  #20

GW0509 wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

And here I thought you were going somewhere else with this.

Say you’re TV. Your job as AD is to advocate for the school’s athletics to be funded to their fullest extent. You have in Mark Diaz someone who controls the purse strings and is a big determining factor of how well the basketball team can operate. It makes sense to want to make him happy.

At the same time, you are the AD and normally you are given the authority and autonomy to hire/fire whomever you want and to live/die with those decisions.

Do you completely give up your authority as AD and allow a non-athletics exec to steer the hiring process to potentially get the most resources for your high profile team, or do you exert your authority as AD to make the choice you want, even if that angers the CFO?

Like most here I just want to win and if Caputo does that I don’t really care how it happened, but it’s an interesting dynamic to contend with if you’re TV and hope to make a career out of athletics administration, be it here or elsewhere.

It's a great question gw0509. Like many things in life, it's important to pick and choose your spots.  If you as an AD relinquish every decision to the CFO, you will lose all respect from your peers and from those in the department you are presumably leading, not to mention your own self-respect.  If you fight the CFO on all battles big and small, you will likely be out of a job.  

So in this particular instance, and I can only speak for me, I would not be able to tolerate having someone else decide who my next basketball coach will be.  I will be linked to this new coach for better or for worse.  If he's successful, I will feel crappy for receiving credit for something that I did not have a hand in.  If he's unsuccessful, then this will reflect poorly on me when I would have had nothing to do with the bad decision.

Board footera