GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2022 11:57 pm  #1

Saint Peter's To The Elite 8

What a pair of wins including a Kentucky take down.  

Shaheen Holloway to the top of the GW Coaching target List.

Last edited by The Dude (3/26/2022 12:53 am)

3/20/2022 10:44 am  #2

Re: Saint Peter's To The Elite 8

Shaheen Halloway is likely going to Mississippi State

3/20/2022 11:08 am  #3

Seton Hall after Kevin Willard is hired by Maryland

3/20/2022 1:56 pm  #4

3/20/2022 4:32 pm  #5

I had one of those "lord I'm an idiot" moments. I read Shaheen Halloway and for some reason thought he was at NMSU and not St. Peters. 

3/20/2022 7:26 pm  #6

The Dude wrote:

What a pair of wins including a Kentucky take down.  

Shaheen Holloway to the top of the GW Coaching target List.

Yeah, good. He'll choose us over his high-paying Power 6 alma mater. For sure.
Isn't there a new post you need to create in order to maintain your feeble hegemony on here?

3/21/2022 8:24 am  #7

With Willard going to UMD I wonder if Seton Hall would look at Shaheen Hollway. 

3/21/2022 9:12 am  #8

Rather than Holloway, maybe GW ought to be looking at Coach K.  Perhaps he regrets his decision to retire and Duke has already committed to moving on with Scheyer.  Hey, Jim Calhoun and Rollie Massamino ended up coaching at smaller schools than GW, let's put Coach K at the top of the GW coaching target list.

On a far more serious note, yes MG14, Holloway to Seton Hall makes perfect sense.  Assuming he prefers to coach for more money in the Big East at his alma mater, as opposed to GW.  Unreal.

3/21/2022 12:22 pm  #9

To the "rocket scientist" who started this thread, lets add a couple more names to dude's "GW's coaching target list":

Gary Williams - GW should get him off the golf courses and into GW's gym - will probably require GW to issue an apology and pay ML another $3-4 million to be Gary's asst and run the team.
Morgan Wooten - good DMV ties (ooops, he's no longer with us). Scratch.
Mike Brey - now that his team is out, I'm sure he's waiting by his phone for that call from Tanya. Tanya will surely sell him with afternoon coffee walks and chats.
Mark Turgeon - Always loved GW for the auto win.

3/22/2022 3:27 pm  #10

I was born and raised around the corner from St. Peter’s and lived in that neighborhood through 8th grade.  So proud and happy for them.

And all of a sudden everyone in the country knows St. Peter’s.  Their applications will be way up next year locally, and their social channels are way up.  Winning basketball is way better than any marketing or advertising the school could ever do.

3/22/2022 3:29 pm  #11

To a lesser degree, really making me relive that magic we all felt during the Sweet 16 run in 1993, when suddenly every average joe on the West Coast knew who GW was.

3/23/2022 11:51 pm  #12

2nd Greatest upset in NCAA Tourney History?  St Peter's beating Kentucky?

UMBC vs UVA the only bigger seed upset, in some ways seeing a team as physically talented as Kentucky, a 2 seed most felt should be a 1 seed even more stunning

3/24/2022 10:17 am  #13

I think so Dude.  And Princeton vs Georgetown the greatest near upset in the 64 team era.

3/24/2022 10:47 am  #14

There is absolutely nobody who felt that Kentucky deserved a #1 seed this season.  They were a 7 loss team entering the dance.  They lost 3 times since Feb. 15 (4 when including St. Peters) .  Many in fact thought that Tennessee, a #3 seed, deserved to have a better seeding, having beaten the Wildcats 2 out of 3 times.

The St. Peters win marked the 10th time that a 15 defeated a 2.  This one was the biggest upset of them all...why?  Because it just happened?  Because it came against Kentucky despite this being one of the lesser Kentucky squads under Calipari or Pitino?  

When Richmond, out of the Colonial, became the first to do so by upsetting Syracuse, it shocked the sport.  Coppin State.  Norfolk State. Hampton.  Each equally as stunning as St. Peters. 

3/25/2022 8:11 pm  #15

Just remembered that old friend Nick Griffin played his last two years at St. Peter's.

3/25/2022 9:07 pm  #16

Motsach wrote:

I think so Dude.  And Princeton vs Georgetown the greatest near upset in the 64 team era.

Good call Motsach.

Absolute history made tonight, the lowest seed ever to the Elite 8.  What a great, historic accomplishment for St Peter's.  Starting with the victory over the 2 seed everyone though should be a 1 seed Kentucky, now a victory over the massive frontcourt of Purdue to reach to the Elite 8

Congrats to St. Peters!!

3/25/2022 9:16 pm  #17

Ok Mayhem, yes, probably a little exuberant.  Being in NJ we are all caught up in the Madness.

Although I’d definitely vote for tonight’s win over Purdue to be the second greatest upset in the modern era of the NCAA tournament.  This was truly shocking.  I thought they’d get blown out tonight.  Purdue had four days to prepare for them.  First 15 seed to ever make the Elite 8.

Three NCAA wins in one season!  I’m so jealous!  Remember when we had three tourney wins in two years?  And then unfortunately one in the last 28 years.

3/26/2022 7:36 am  #18

Motsach wrote:

Three NCAA wins in one season!  I’m so jealous!  Remember when we had three tourney wins in two years?  And then unfortunately one in the last 28 years.

But but small budget. But but but in the shadow of NYC. But but weak conference. But but no facilities. 

Last edited by Mentzinger (3/26/2022 7:37 am)

3/26/2022 10:34 am  #19

Motsach, I am not interested in raining on St. Peter's parade in the slightest.  It's obviously a great story, the kind that helps make this tournament the most unique event in all of sports as far as I am concerned.  I just don't know why their win over Kentucky is any greater than the other victories by 15's over 2's, aside from The Dude's pea-sized brain enabling to him only use recency bias as an excuse.  

IMO, this St. Peter's run, reaching the Elite 8 with wins over Kentucky, Murray State and Purdue, is likely to be the most significant cumulative run in the history of the tournament.  As for a single upset, UMBC is a credible choice being the only 16.  However, I would vote for Nova over Georgetown.  The fact that it happened in the finals should matter.  Georgetown had been 3-0 against the Wildcats that season, and was just so much more physically dominant.  This was as stunning a loss as I can remember. 

Leave it to The Troll to double down on his stupidity yet again.  Between "everyone" thinking Kentucky should have received a number one seed (just patently false) to "everyone" picking GW to finish in 13th place (which some did, including the media/coaches poll, but some also did not), it has become obvious that The Troll does not understand the meaning of the word "everyone."

Besides, having that #1 seed does not guarantee you a single thing.  A topic of conversation that Mark Few and his buddy Tommy Lloyd likely had when they teed off on the links yesterday.

3/26/2022 11:04 am  #20

So...the question now becomes...when will St. Peters be admitted to the Atlantic 10, ala Loyola of Chicago, Mason, VCU, Davidson, etc?

Board footera