GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2022 9:30 am  #1

A-10 coaching vacancies thread

GW: JC out
LaSalle: Ashley Howard out
umASS: Matt McCall out
URI: David Cox out, Archie Miller in

Update conference hirings etc. here

Last edited by Mentzinger (3/21/2022 9:35 am)

3/21/2022 10:37 am  #2

Re: A-10 coaching vacancies thread

How could you! Stealing a thread from the Dude!

3/21/2022 10:42 am  #3

Dayton Women’s coach Shauna Green and her gum have left for the HC job at Illinois. Big Ten loves to poach A10 coaches.

3/21/2022 12:24 pm  #4

Can't wait to compare our hire with these 3 other conference bottom feeders. I have more faith in their administrations than I do ours.

3/21/2022 1:00 pm  #5

BC wrote:

I think his was all coaches nationally, not A-10, but I confess I don't read The Dude's posts that closely.

3/21/2022 2:03 pm  #6

Mentzinger wrote:

BC wrote:

I think his was all coaches nationally, not A-10, but I confess I don't read The Dude's posts that closely.

I took BC's post as a successful attempt at humor rather than anything literally.  Made me laugh.

3/23/2022 12:40 pm  #7

Schmidt to umASS. News soon.

3/23/2022 1:17 pm  #8

David Cox to UMD assistant post

3/23/2022 1:21 pm  #9

BM wrote:

David Cox to UMD assistant post

About as no brained a hire as it gets. Dude could always recruit the DMV.

One interesting rumor I saw was that Ryan Devlin was in the running for an AC job at Georgetown.

3/23/2022 1:36 pm  #10

Devlin is newly following and being followed by numerous Georgetown related  twitter feeds . Hope it works out for him

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/23/2022 1:36 pm)

3/23/2022 7:08 pm  #11

3/24/2022 9:17 am  #12

It’s going to make for a hell of a rivalry between those schools.  What’s interesting is that Bona has to go in total rebuild mode and will likely be dead last in the country in minutes continuity next season.

3/24/2022 9:31 am  #13

This is the second straight men's hoops coach hire for UMass where it had to go with Plan B.  If you recall, they were just about to announce Pat Kelsey in 2017 when he backed out while on the Amherst campus shortly before the press conference.  Matt McCall was the next option.  Fast forward five years and you have the latest saga.  Given UMass confirmed that McCall would not be coming back over three weeks ago on 03/01/22 (some 10 days before their season even ended) and there was still not a hire,  the assumption was their target was someone connected to a team still playing.  Mark Schmidt at St Bonaventure certainly fits that narrative and his name was floated as a possibility early on given he is a Massachusetts native.  Then all the rumors start to really fly around yesterday.  By all accounts Schmidt was pursued by UMass but ultimately turned them down.  Whoever UMass does hire will once again be the fallback option. 

3/25/2022 11:37 am  #14

ESPN reporting that UMass about to sign Frank Martin.

Either Tanya is taking her sweet time or she's getting told no from a lot of candidates.

3/25/2022 11:46 am  #15

Alum '04 wrote:

Either Tanya is taking her sweet time or she's getting told no from a lot of candidates.

Or the coach they're going to hire is on the bench for an NCAA Tournament game tonight so they can't announce it yet

3/25/2022 12:03 pm  #16

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Alum '04 wrote:

Or the coach they're going to hire is on the bench for an NCAA Tournament game tonight so they can't announce it yet

That would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

3/25/2022 3:45 pm  #17

At least we aren’t LaSalle.  They appear to on the verge of hiring Hartford coach John Gallagher… who has a .450 winning percentage in 12 years there and is coming off a season in which he went 12-20 and finished ranked 282. 

Talk about not showing ambition.

3/25/2022 4:08 pm  #18

A GW fan poking fun at LaSalle!
Brilliant Quebec.
Maybe one day we will "Raise High" enough to make fun of the LaSalle and Fordham's of the world again.
Maybe you should use UMES instead until we get better.

3/26/2022 7:34 am  #19

TJT85 wrote:

Whoever UMass does hire will once again be the fallback option. 

umASS's fallback option > GW's first option.
That's where we are under Tanya Vogel.

3/26/2022 9:59 am  #20

About 5 minutes(LOL) after UMass hired Frank Martin, talented South Carolina combo guard Jermaine Couisnard entered the transfer portal. We can put 2 and 2 together and see that J.Couisnard will likely end up at UMass too. If this happens, J.Couisnard will probably be one of the better players in the A10 next year. 

Board footera