GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2022 10:30 am  #21

Re: A-10 coaching vacancies thread

The last guy i would want for GW coach is Frank Martin. He has not had much success at South Carolina and he is very hard on his players and his public presence is not positive.

3/26/2022 11:58 am  #22

Thomas wrote:

About 5 minutes(LOL) after UMass hired Frank Martin, talented South Carolina combo guard Jermaine Couisnard entered the transfer portal. We can put 2 and 2 together and see that J.Couisnard will likely end up at UMass too. If this happens, J.Couisnard will probably be one of the better players in the A10 next year. 

I mean maybe, but I don’t think you’ve seen him play much.  He’s a high volume, turnover prone, poor shooter.   I don’t think he would have been one of the better players in the A10 this year (like I’d put Freeman, Bishop, and Bamisile all above Couisinard). 

Plus frank martin seems to be an old school angry coach  and he may want nothing to do with him any longer.

I agree with AT Hiker that Martin is not a guy I would want for our program.  Will be very interested to see how he takes to the limitations of UMASS compared to KSt and South Carolina.

3/26/2022 12:58 pm  #23

AT Hiker wrote:

The last guy i would want for GW coach is Frank Martin. He has not had much success at South Carolina and he is very hard on his players and his public presence is not positive.

not arguing that I'd want him but in fairness he did take South Carolina to a final four

3/26/2022 5:24 pm  #24

AT Hiker wrote:

Martin makes ML look like Mary Poppins. Even worse than the much-lauded by GW Sports Tom Izzo.
What we need is someone between Martin and a coach, who announcers say has players make all the
decisions.

3/26/2022 6:12 pm  #25

Another BCS player who recently entered the transfer portal and may join the A10 because of a new hire is, Indiana point guard Rob Phinisee joining Archie Miller at Rhode Island, Phinisee played for and may have been recruited by Archie Miller at Indiana. He's missed a lot of games due to injury while at Indiana.

About Frank Martin, it's going to be interesting to see what happens with him if he's unable to win at UMass. We've seen his UNHINGED antics on the sidelines for the 15-20 years at Kansas State and then South Carolina. What's going to happen if he's losing to La Salle and Duquesne!!!

FQ,  we'll have to agree to disagree about Jermaine Couisnard, I think he'll be very good in the A10 if he follows Frank Martin to UMass because he's been a decent scorer against SEC competition for the past few years. 

3/26/2022 8:42 pm  #26

Thomas wrote:

Another BCS player who recently entered the transfer portal and may join the A10 because of a new hire is, Indiana point guard Rob Phinisee joining Archie Miller at Rhode Island, Phinisee played for and may have been recruited by Archie Miller at Indiana. He's missed a lot of games due to injury while at Indiana.

About Frank Martin, it's going to be interesting to see what happens with him if he's unable to win at UMass. We've seen his UNHINGED antics on the sidelines for the 15-20 years at Kansas State and then South Carolina. What's going to happen if he's losing to La Salle and Duquesne!!!

FQ,  we'll have to agree to disagree about Jermaine Couisnard, I think he'll be very good in the A10 if he follows Frank Martin to UMass because he's been a decent scorer against SEC competition for the past few years. 

His offensive rating the last two years is 82 and 93.   That makes him a less efficient player than Bishop, Bam, or Brayon.  He has talent for sure, but he’s never shown to be as good as someone like Bamisile or any of the other all league guards in the A10, though a step forward is always possible.

3/28/2022 7:44 am  #27

3/28 -- Coaching Weather Report? All Clear though cold. No news by the time  the temps hit 70, forget it.

3/29/2022 7:38 pm  #28

I swear to God if this happens I may have to become an Explorers fan

[color=inherit]Mike Jensen[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/jensenoffcampus]@jensenoffcampus 
Another name I’ve heard for La Salle more than once: Karl Hobbs.

3/30/2022 6:01 pm  #29

It's getting more and more apparent we are going to pass on bringing Hobbs back and instead let him go to La Salle.  If that's the case I hope he kicks our ass every time we play them.  

@JonRothstein 
Sources: Two former Atlantic 10 head coaches -- Karl Hobbs and Dave Paulsen -- have both emerged as primary candidates for the head coaching vacancy at La Salle. Hobbs was the HC at GW and is currently at Rutgers. Paulsen was the HC at George Mason and is an advsor at Fordham.   

Last edited by GW0509 (3/30/2022 6:05 pm)

3/31/2022 9:34 am  #30

Not A-10 vacancy, but...
[color=inherit]Patrick Madden[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/TheSportsJD]@TheSportsJD @MAACDaddyHoopsTop five candidates for the St. Peter’s vacancy: -Ryan Whalen who is the favorite as he was probably Holloway’s recommendation -Grant Billmeier -Brandin Knight, Rutgers assistant -Javion Christian, former George Washington coach -Bashir Mason, Wagner coach

3/31/2022 11:40 am  #31

If it's not done very shortly, puts cold water on the move being reserved for Caputo,
even if it still happens.

3/31/2022 11:52 am  #32

Jamion to St Pete would be a very good fit.

3/31/2022 2:08 pm  #33

i wonder what hobbs thinks about the la salle facilities 

3/31/2022 3:47 pm  #34

jf wrote:

If it's not done very shortly, puts cold water on the move being reserved for Caputo,
even if it still happens.

Maybe but maybe not. Maybe he was the chosen hire but there was organized blowback that made GW reconsider. Just an educated hunch.

3/31/2022 4:01 pm  #35

Hugh wrote:

They just announced they are building a new arena so that won't be a concern if he sticks around for a few years. 

3/31/2022 5:25 pm  #36

I think Hobbs gets the LaSalle job, wins in years 3-4 but then moves to a bigger school.  He has been on the bench now at UConn and RU.  He will use LaSalle as a stepping stone. 

That being said, would love someone to use us as a stepping stone for a couple of years to get us back on track.

3/31/2022 6:42 pm  #37

PKGW wrote:

I think Hobbs gets the LaSalle job, wins in years 3-4 but then moves to a bigger school. He has been on the bench now at UConn and RU. He will use LaSalle as a stepping stone.

That being said, would love someone to use us as a stepping stone for a couple of years to get us back on track.

Hobbs will be 61 at the start of next season - getting late for stepping stones at this point.  

3/31/2022 11:09 pm  #38

GW0509 wrote:

Hugh wrote:

They just announced they are building a new arena so that won't be a concern if he sticks around for a few years. 

LaSalle was given a gift of $6.5M back in 2013 with the specifics that it had to be spent on a basketball arena by 2023.  Nearly ten years have passed with no real action to date as they have had trouble raising more funds.  LaSalle has severe financial problems with its bond rating being lowered to junk bond status a year ago.  It also experienced a double digit % drop in enrollment of late.  Their board only acted to approve the next phase of the design process as the clock is ticking.  Many Explorer fans fear that all they may ultimately get is a minor renovation of their existing home.  As a point of reference for how much these projects can cost, Duquense spent $45M on its renovation of its arena last year.   

Last edited by TJT85 (3/31/2022 11:14 pm)

4/01/2022 8:17 am  #39

Man, if Karl Hobbs couldn’t help but fixate on the negatives of GW, I can only imagine what it would be like with him at LaSalle.  Maybe he’s matured or learned from his mistakes - otherwise it would be a very strange hire for them.

4/01/2022 8:39 am  #40

The Ross-Man! wrote:

PKGW wrote:

I think Hobbs gets the LaSalle job, wins in years 3-4 but then moves to a bigger school. He has been on the bench now at UConn and RU. He will use LaSalle as a stepping stone.

Hobbs will be 61 at the start of next season - getting late for stepping stones at this point.  

Agree with this!!  Also, the A-10 is probably the highest Hobbs can go for a head coaching job at this point. Hobbs did recruit some talent from Philadelphia(Omar Williams, Maureece Rice, Tamal Forchion) when he was at GW, so he is familiar with the high school talent there.

Board footera