GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2022 3:04 pm  #1

The Painful wait for news

The one upside for change is that you get a stream of news. New coaches and players.. But this seems to be a painfully slow wait for news. I truly expected some coaching announcements by the start of the week. I guess the HR process is slow at GW because Straughn was listed as coming to GW a while ago.

No players no coaches .. I need news lol

4/20/2022 3:29 pm  #2

Re: The Painful wait for news

Florida Colonial wrote:

The one upside for change is that you get a stream of news. New coaches and players.. But this seems to be a painfully slow wait for news. I truly expected some coaching announcements by the start of the week. I guess the HR process is slow at GW because Straughn was listed as coming to GW a while ago.

I will  say it if nobody else will.   I miss GW Rising

4/20/2022 3:44 pm  #3

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

I will say it if nobody else will. I miss GW Rising

me too

4/20/2022 3:50 pm  #4

Here's the problem. Even if he was still around I dont think he would have the inside info Caputo news.. We need Caputo insider

4/20/2022 4:07 pm  #5

I was about to post a similar thread as you FC and I couldn't agree more.  It's painful to see a school like UMass kill it on the recruiting front and also the increase in enthusiasm in that fan base after the Frank Martin hire.

I hope that the radio silence coming from Caputo and GW means some good stuff is in the works but it's a bit surprising that we haven't had some dopey social media posts or podcast hits outside of the one he did with Doug Gottlieb.  

I'm also surprised we haven't heard more about '22 recruits.  It seems like a lot of the P5's are obsessed with transfer portal kids so there should be some good options for seniors who haven't committed yet.

4/20/2022 4:09 pm  #6

Thats exactly where my frustration is coming from. Transition can mean opportunity for pr and to get people excited. 

4/20/2022 5:01 pm  #7

Florida Colonial wrote:

Here's the problem. Even if he was still around I dont think he would have the inside info Caputo news.. We need Caputo insider

Agreed!! I think Rising was connected with Jamion Christian, not necessarily GW, so once JC got fired, Rising was gone too. Maybe a Caputo insider will join the board soon once everything and everyone gets situated!

You guys are right, the lack of news is a bit concerning because it seems as if EVERY other school is signing players and having visits, GW looks to be standing pat as if they have a slew of players returning from an NCAA tournament team! There may have been a few players who have already committed to other schools who GW may have had a shot at. 

Some interesting news involving a former GW player, George Mason is one of the schools interested in Mezie Offurum. I assume he's a grad transfer and will be able to play the upcoming season. 

4/20/2022 6:08 pm  #8

I'm positive Rising has been around a long time.  I believe that he may have even been blue seats, but that's pure speculation.  I don't miss his politics or his occasional teasing of possible recruits - especially when they didn't pan out.   However his inside perspective will be missed by even me.

4/20/2022 6:41 pm  #9

BC wrote:

I'm positive Rising has been around a long time.  I believe that he may have even been blue seats, but that's pure speculation.  I don't miss his politics or his occasional teasing of possible recruits - especially when they didn't pan out.   However his inside perspective will be missed by even me.

I'll take your word for it but I just thought it was a little unusual that a long time GW fan/alum would be that upset about Jamion Christian's firing because JC was only coach for 3 seasons and didn't have any previous ties to GW

4/20/2022 7:58 pm  #10

I could be wrong, but my assumption is that JC or staff did a lot of leaking to twitter recruiting types because our mentions jumped dramatically compared to the MoJo or ML years. Some of that is obviously players or their reps building interest and a lot of it is BS, but the dramatic increase under JC was probably not a coincidence.   

No idea how Caputo operates, but it sure would be nice to get one piece of good news soon just to keep the momentum of the hiring going for the sake of building buzz.  More important to get the right players, of course, than the first ones, but the few of us on this board are clearly feeling a bit anxious. 

BTW, Miami is one of I believe 11 big money league teams to have no players in the portal right now.

4/20/2022 8:21 pm  #11

We did leak a lot.
But it didn't reveal much,which was the self-serving point.
   Assume CC and Straughn are hustling behind the scenes and know A-10+ talent. But we'll see.

4/20/2022 9:14 pm  #12

BTW we haven’t even officially announced Straughn.  Most likely just a  HR delay.  He hasn’t even changed his twitter bio from St Joseph’s.  Not concerned he’s not coming because they just replaced him but still can we be any slower

4/20/2022 9:33 pm  #13

Doesn't seem to be on the St. Joe's 2021-22 roster,unless I'm looking at the wrong one.

4/20/2022 9:48 pm  #14

Florida Colonial wrote:

BTW we haven’t even officially announced Straughn. Most likely just a HR delay. He hasn’t even changed his twitter bio from St Joseph’s. Not concerned he’s not coming because they just replaced him but still can we be any slower

HR Delay and administrative bullshit is nothing new.  You would think we would be administratively prepared.  Disappointed in the delay, but unfortunately not surprised.   

4/20/2022 10:09 pm  #15

Straughn and Rubenstein were both at the press conference last week, FWIW

4/20/2022 10:15 pm  #16

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Straughn and Rubenstein were both at the press conference last week, FWIW

Excellent news, good to hear!

4/21/2022 6:28 am  #17

Hopefully we'll be hearing good news soon about players coming to GW via the transfer portal and the recruiting process. Losing Bamisile (Arkansas), Freeman (Rhode Island), and Ira Lee (College of Charleston--we hardly knew ya) is a big blow to the program, but is also the result of players not wanting to stay at GW because of the lack of on-court success and the constant upheaval. Let's all hope that Coach Caputo will be able to right the ship. I remain cautiously optimistic. 

4/21/2022 7:10 am  #18

Not all news is good news. See University, Fordham. Talk about a Black Swan event.

4/21/2022 9:56 am  #19

Ira Lee left in the JC era.
Bamisile might have left anyway, even if we didn't change coaches, since he
said he wanted a more rural environment for his third team in three years. And he likes
a big stage.
   Will miss Brayon, but we sucked even after JC decided to take full advantage of his
talents.
 We can see who the replacements are over the next several years.
Also, one thing we can hope is that CC starts doing some decent high school recruiting, 
enormously lacking in the JC era.
     The most proven and steady player in the JC era (recruited by Mojo), Jamison Battle,
left last season. As did, JC's first of only two good (unless forgetting someone)
HS recruits, Jameer, Jr.

4/21/2022 10:18 am  #20

I'm hoping Caputo is true to his word and recruits some international players as well. When I think about what players we have recruited out of HS and have stayed at GW for their entire collegiate career in recent years, they are all international players (e.g., Yuta, Garino, Larsen). Who was the last American HS recruit that played his whole career at GW and was a major contributor on the court, Joe McDonald?

Board footera