GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2022 10:40 am  #21

Re: The Painful wait for news

Thank you for this thread. I was going start one like this a couple of days ago, but I thought maybe I was the only one thinking ... Hey, how about some news on players for next season?
Glad I wasn't the only one with these thoughts.  

4/21/2022 10:50 am  #22

Haha..  We all just want some good news to rally around

4/21/2022 12:26 pm  #23

DC Native wrote:

I'm hoping Caputo is true to his word and recruits some international players as well. When I think about what players we have recruited out of HS and have stayed at GW for their entire collegiate career in recent years, they are all international players (e.g., Yuta, Garino, Larsen). Who was the last American HS recruit that played his whole career at GW and was a major contributor on the court, Joe McDonald?

Your examples of international recruits were all players plucked out of American prep schools. Not sure that’s exactly the same kind of international harvesting Eddie Myers was doing back in the day. It’s also not quite the virgin territory it was back then for college recruiting. Caputo ultimately knows what he has to do to build his program at GW. For us trying to fit it into a model we’ve seen here before seems to merely give us something to talk about midst the absence of any news we’re impatient to hear.

4/21/2022 1:28 pm  #24

Plucked out of US prep schools is fine if we get 75% of Yuta, Pato, KevLar, etc., two of whom went to the
NBA and the third does very well overseas.
    Didn't Coach Caputo (who seems like a welcome addition) mention international recruiting or address the issue?  Didn't Miami have an international player/players?
  Don't know why this topic needs any disparagement.
What exactly should we talk about while waiting for some information?
How about this weather? 

4/21/2022 1:38 pm  #25

jf wrote:

Ira Lee left in the JC era.
Bamisile might have left anyway, even if we didn't change coaches, since he
said he wanted a more rural environment for his third team in three years. And he likes
a big stage.
   Will miss Brayon, but we sucked even after JC decided to take full advantage of his
talents.
 We can see who the replacements are over the next several years.
Also, one thing we can hope is that CC starts doing some decent high school recruiting, 
enormously lacking in the JC era.
     The most proven and steady player in the JC era (recruited by Mojo), Jamison Battle,
left last season. As did, JC's first of only two good (unless forgetting someone)
HS recruits, Jameer, Jr.

You are forgetting Brayon Freeman.

4/21/2022 2:15 pm  #26

Mentioned explicitly in "We will miss Brayon" and implicitly in two good high school recruits.
   Wondering if I missed anyone else. Actually still think Noel has potential as a still developing big man, but we wasted it somewhat under previous management.
Brayon has great potential and played quite well for a freshman when he was given major
minutes. He was an excellent recruit, to be fair to JC.
  But neither Brayon nor all the rest of that great,
upgraded talent could put it together on the court for even near a winning record. 12-18 with a very
weak OOC.

4/21/2022 2:17 pm  #27

jf wrote:

Mentioned explicitly in "We will miss Brayon" and implicitly in two good high school recruits.

Right.  Sorry. 

I do still think Brelsford has potential, though Bryant may have been a bad choice for him.

4/27/2022 10:01 am  #28

I have to say the wait is not getting any less painful . At least confirm the two assistant coaches we supposedly hired.  

4/27/2022 10:26 am  #29

Florida Colonial wrote:

I have to say the wait is not getting any less painful . At least confirm the two assistant coaches we supposedly hired.  

Exactly, even “public” news isn’t commented on by Caputo.

Hoping we make a splash with multiple announcements at one press conference or in one statement.

4/27/2022 11:34 am  #30

4/27/2022 11:35 am  #31

Florida Colonial wrote:

Brenden Straughn is now officially official

https://twitter.com/gw_mbb/status/1519350541184380928

4/27/2022 1:19 pm  #32

I'm going to take a different approach here. We just spent the last three years getting lots of talking. Things are positive, things are great, washington is the best. That came with lots of "insider information" (which I liked hearing about,  but was clearly provided with a perspective/agenda) as to how the problems weren't really problems and how things would always be better. We heard from the initial press conference which players would be good--they weren't.

I don't mind the quiet, as long as things actually happen. Everybody assumed Lindo was gone. He isn't. I'm willing to be patient and see what actually happens, regardless of when the news comes.

4/27/2022 1:23 pm  #33

I'm with you danjsport.. While I'm personally impatient, I dont think its Caputo's job to leak info just to appease me  

Never was trying to negative about Caputo.. Low key winning works for me

4/27/2022 1:51 pm  #34

If CC can field a competitive team, I don't care if they are all announced on Halloween.

Very encouraging news about Ricky.  I liked the way FQ put it...he CAN be so good.  Now, he just needs to be, consistently.

Since I'm not sure anyone foresees James playing in the NBA next year, I am hopeful that this isn't a sign that he wants out.  I suspect he could play right now in the G league or internationally if this is what he wants.

4/27/2022 2:32 pm  #35

All is not lost
the simple laws of supply and demand are in the schools favor

there are currentymany more players in the portal than scholarships available
and expect additional players to enter before this weeks deadline

new coaching staff can put together a roster of current players, solid players with a year of eligibility left and a few with multiple player seasons left
enables both a win now and build for the future

then over the year they develop who they want from the HS graduating classes and who they can supplement with via the transfer portal

i believe the CC transition will be ok

4/27/2022 3:12 pm  #36

To be fair, retaining Ricky shows what CC can do and should count as his first recruit.
With JC, Ricky was definitely out, as we heard from JC and supporters--and saw on Senior
Day.
  Thought that Ricky needed to put together a better full season to maximize his earning potential, so
it's also good for him, as expressed in his own thread. He won't be the only guy scrapping for rebounds in the CC era, which may have been a factor in his staying.
  Ricky has confirmed this on social media.
   This is functionally CC's first recruit. And he should be given a lot of credit for keeping a proven college player who still has even more potential under Coach Caputo. Keeping Ricky is a lot better than rolling the dice with someone else in his spot.
    Would really like to hear some great transfers and high school signings. That's what keeps us coming to this board during the day in the early postseason.
   But we don't need to take desperation recruits that will be below our level. Much as we all are hanging on every possibility, would rather CC and staff take their time and get the right guys for the coach's philosophy, the university and the A-10.
   Meanwhile, congrats to both Ricky for seeing the wisdom of staying and Coach Caputo for his first recruit, who is a great catch as a re-recruit.

Board footera