GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2022 11:53 pm  #21

Re: Next Steps for GW Coaches

Good move for Mojo to Butler, and congrats to Lamont Franklin on his promotion! 

6/24/2022 9:06 am  #22

HoopDirt is reporting former AC Ryan Devlin is taking a spot at San Diego. I was surprised Bousley didn’t end up there as I thought he had WC ties.

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-6-24-22/

7/08/2022 8:21 am  #23

Not exactly the right thread but Justin Mazzulla has joined the GW-to-URI diaspora as an assistant coach.

10/20/2022 10:48 am  #24

GW0509 wrote:

HoopDirt is reporting former AC Ryan Devlin is taking a spot at San Diego. I was surprised Bousley didn’t end up there as I thought he had WC ties.

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-6-24-22/

Shedding some light on this report.  Ryan Devlin was hired by Steve Lavin but not as an assistant coach.  He will spend this season as Recruiting Coordinator for San Diego University.  This is not to be confused with UC San Diego who will be visiting the Smith Center in November, or San Diego State who we blew away in the semifinals of the NIT.

10/20/2022 10:08 pm  #25

When Devlin left we didn't lose much.

3/13/2024 12:47 pm  #26

Giving our friends thread a bump.
Interesting things have been going on in Albany NY all season long. Siena finished their season "this morning" with 4 total wins (yes, 4, not a typo).
The fans have been calling for the firing of BOTH Carm and the AD. I'm not sure why the GW fanbase has been so quiet about our AD all these years based on her performance.

Anyhow, like us, Siena is in no financial position to fire (and have to pay) Carm with 2 years left on his contract. Difference with us is they have a great arena and used to consistently draw 3-5 thousand fans to games. Unless of course some wealthy alum donor steps up.

3/14/2024 9:29 am  #27

Not sure how to post a picture here  - tried copying and paring but it didn’t work. Check out Max’s Instagram. (  @_maxgotgame )  Posted a picture of himself at the free throw line at Barclay’s with the caption “Staying’ real to the vision even if I’m the only one seeing it!!”  Maybe something to read between the lines here?  As in, his vision and CC’s don’t align?  I personally think he’s gone based on his body language amd the veiled comments CC made after the Bonaventure or Duquesne game. I definitely think he’s portaling.

On the other hand, maybe he’s referencing the unique vision he displayed chucking up all those ridiculous ill-advised pull up threes in one on four situations?  Or maybe it’s was the vision of the invisible person he was passing to on many many occasions??

Last edited by Alum1 (3/14/2024 10:46 am)

3/14/2024 11:26 am  #28

Imagine Max would or should know he would be crazy to leave. This is a great place for him.
K-State didn't work out. GW, combined with his talents, made him Rookie Of The Year,
as Max acknowledges.
      Max is a terrific rebounder and made a lot of key shots recently. Next year, with James gone,
he can come into his own even more. This is the right place for him--and we appreciate all his talent
and scrapping for the ball. In fact, more players need to hit the boards like Max.
      Thank you, Max for all of your efforts in an up and down year. The best is yet to come for you
at GW.

3/14/2024 2:41 pm  #29

Should also add that Max graciously thanked (on X) all of the GW fans who stuck by the team this season.  Classy gesture on his part.

3/14/2024 7:53 pm  #30

Joel Joseph wrote:

I'm not sure why the GW fanbase has been so quiet about our AD all these years based on her performance.

I just think we're all beaten down at this point. The provosts hate sports and they won't spend the money required to succeed over the long term in college basketball. Super wealthy GW alums aren't paying for early coaching buyouts or throwing money in NIL.

Not that there would be anything wrong with that, but it's a simple fact of life that many elite academic institutions like GW, Stanford with football, etc, hate athletics. And GW has lots of rich alums who have interests outside of spending big bucks on men's basketball. Just the way it is.

The provosts care whether the men's bball players qualify academically and represent the school well (as far as we know). Other than that, the provosts do not care.

I think overall they keep TV around so the fans don't get a taste of success and start demanding more.

Last edited by Alum '04 (3/14/2024 8:02 pm)

3/14/2024 8:27 pm  #31

Alum '04 wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

I'm not sure why the GW fanbase has been so quiet about our AD all these years based on her performance.

I just think we're all beaten down at this point. The provosts hate sports and they won't spend the money required to succeed over the long term in college basketball. Super wealthy GW alums aren't paying for early coaching buyouts or throwing money in NIL.

Not that there would be anything wrong with that, but it's a simple fact of life that many elite academic institutions like GW, Stanford with football, etc, hate athletics. And GW has lots of rich alums who have interests outside of spending big bucks on men's basketball. Just the way it is.

The provosts care whether the men's bball players qualify academically and represent the school well (as far as we know). Other than that, the provosts do not care.

I think overall they keep TV around so the fans don't get a taste of success and start demanding more.

At most big schools, an AD does not get the chance to fire and hire more than 2 coaches for their flagship sport. Mostly because that’s an indicator they don’t know how to hire the right person.

If CC fails, I could see TV stepping down or the school moving in another direction so a new AD can make the next hire.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/14/2024 8:27 pm)

3/15/2024 8:42 am  #32

That we know that the Provosts have any relevance to athletics at all speaks to why I think evaluating a GW AD is harder than at many other schools. I think most big school ADs have enough latitude and independence to create their own successes and have a clear sense of their own responsibility. I don't think an AD succeeds or fails on their own at GW.

3/15/2024 12:16 pm  #33

An interesting conversation I recently had with a fellow alum who has done well financially.  He lives outside the DC area but still follows the team and watches when he can.  (He subscribes to ESPN+ for this reason only so that in my book makes him an interested party.)  I brought up NIL to him and "the why" behind why he wasn't interested in participating was fascinating to me.  His logic was that there simply wasn't enough support of this program to think that his contribution could make a difference.  As he said, he could write a check for a few thousand dollars but how would he know that this would mean we could keep the players we want to retain or attract the new players we'd like to attract?  I said that he wouldn't, but if everyone had this same outlook, we'd have no choice but to drop out of the Atlantic 10.  He then countered with, "so, what's the school doing to prioritize athletics, and specifically basketball?  Are they putting more money into the program?  What percentage has their budget increased over the past year, the past 5 years, etc?  And, how do these increases compare with other A10 schools?"

The fact is that GW is a private institution and as such, we do not have many of these answers.  Nevertheless, this is an interesting point.  If the school wants the followers of the program to invest more heavily, shouldn't the school show that it too is a partner by conveying what they are doing to help GW be more competitive among our conference peers?

Chicken or egg?  This program is not well-supported based on ticket sales (and I'd have to guess, tv/streaming ratings).  There's only so much a small base can do to fill the NIL coffer (unless many of these supporters have very deep pockets).  The school has an impressive endowment and is also among the most expensive schools in the country.  Is it paying its fair share to finance basketball, which it can do if it chooses to?  Or, is it not due to the overall lack of support?

No matter the case, I think the school needs to demonstrate how it's investing in this program, and analyzing budgets today vs. the recent past, and how this compares to other A10 schools, would be a healthy start.  I understand that the school can not donate directly to NIL.  On the other hand, if fans knew that they were aggressively investing in athletics/basketball, then perhaps more people like my buddy would take note and then feel that their NIL donation would in fact be very meaningful.

3/15/2024 1:49 pm  #34

GW's AD position is no different than any other A-10 or D-1 school. They make a very good salary and are evaluated on various criteria. The criteria is the same, the weight given to each criteria differs from school to school based on the leaderships intent and priorities, The evaluation may be different, but is not "easier" or "harder" at GW vs the other schools.

To add to Mayhems statement, GW better be careful regarding their support (or lack thereof) of athletics. I remember a time not too long ago when the A-10 Conference was prodding it's member schools to provide the appropriate resources to athletics in order to continue the overall upward momentum it was experiencing at the time. I remember on the old GWHoops board posters joking about kicking Fordham out for dragging the conference down. That kind of pressure has not been with us as a conference for the last several years as we have experienced a decline (partly due to conference re-alignment, NLI, etc).

Back to the AD job here at GW. If GW wants to remain in D-1 athletics and be competitive, they need to act like it. This includes holding our AD accountable and evaluating her using the same criteria as every other D-1 AD. Her poor record speaks for itself. Otherwise, lets move to the Patriot League and divert the resources elsewhere. Colgate is a good example of how a D-1 school can excel in all facets, including athletica and academics.

3/18/2024 5:47 pm  #35

jf wrote:

Imagine Max would or should know he would be crazy to leave. This is a great place for him.
K-State didn't work out. GW, combined with his talents, made him Rookie Of The Year,
as Max acknowledges.
      Max is a terrific rebounder and made a lot of key shots recently. Next year, with James gone,
he can come into his own even more. This is the right place for him--and we appreciate all his talent
and scrapping for the ball. In fact, more players need to hit the boards like Max.
      Thank you, Max for all of your efforts in an up and down year. The best is yet to come for you
at GW.

JF……LOL

Last edited by Alum1 (3/18/2024 5:47 pm)

Board footera