GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2021 9:23 pm  #121

Re: Yuta Update

Go get 'em Yuta. Congrats!

For those interested... https://www.spotrac.com/nba/toronto-raptors/yuta-watanabe-27713/

4/20/2021 9:09 am  #122

Congratulations and well done Yuta.  It's clear that the Raptors, while perhaps attempting to tank in the process, were auditioning Yuta over the past couple of weeks in particular.  They upped his minutes and opportunities to see if he would be in their long-term plans.  Yuta truly rose to the occasion and to be candid, a number of our guys who received a taste of the NBA really didn't shine under the spotlight as well as they could have.  I'll also add that I have been of the belief that where Yuta was from could only serve to help him in NBA circles.  I was hopeful that he wasn't merely hanging on due to being a Japanese player.  It turned out that this wasn't the case.   Yuta's hard work and improved play are what's precisely responsible for his promotion.  Great to see.

4/20/2021 10:22 am  #123

Mike K wrote:

Go get 'em Yuta. Congrats!

For those interested... https://www.spotrac.com/nba/toronto-raptors/yuta-watanabe-27713/

That's better than my first few years out of college. 

4/24/2021 11:53 am  #124

The Raptors are about to play on the road against the Knicks at 1 eastern on ESPN. The Raptors are starting their regulars(VanVleet, Siakam, Lowry, OG) today so they may have stopped trying to tank/throw games(or the NBA told them to play everyone since this game is on national TV), it also may mean less minutes for Yuta. The Eastern Conference is average to below average outside of the top 3 teams, so its hard for any team to tank unless they are really, really bad. 

4/24/2021 1:14 pm  #125

Yuta got a good amount of playing time in 1st half. May have been first or one of the first off the bench.
But his incompetent teammates are not passing to him,even when he's open and so he has had no shots at the half.

4/30/2021 8:22 am  #126

Great article by Yuta.

“There is no such thing as garbage time, in my opinion.”

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/yuta-watanabe-toronto-raptors-basketball-nba

4/30/2021 9:35 am  #127

Great article. I think more of his personality shines through in his native language than any interviews i've heard in english. 

Reminds me of that quote from Modern Family: "Do you know how smart I am in Spanish?!"

5/04/2021 9:24 pm  #128

The Raptors are in LA playing the Clippers on TNT, the game just tipped off and Yuta is starting!! The Raptors are still tanking but they are now just keeping 1 starter out for each game, Kyle Lowry is the one sitting tonight after he scored about 40 in a win vs. the Lakers a couple days ago. 

Last edited by Thomas (5/04/2021 9:26 pm)

5/05/2021 8:04 am  #129

Played a lot of minutes, but I don't think he took a shot in the entire 2nd half. Scored half of his points within the first minute or two of the game. 2nd worse +/- on the team as well. On the bright side, it was pretty amazing see Yuta start on a nationally televised game.

5/05/2021 8:42 am  #130

Yuta scored 6 points in the game, and they were two 3-pointers he knocked down early in the 1st quarter as MG14 wrote. It looked like he was on track for a big game offensively but it didn't happen. Yuta did have 6 rebounds and played 30 minutes, he was also in during the final 4 or 5 minutes when the game was still in doubt, so he got meaningful minutes.  VanVleet decided to pass Yuta the ball in this game, someone pointed out that Yuta's teammates were not passing him the ball in a previous Raptors game that was nationally televised. It looks like the Raptors are going to rotate which star players(Kyle Lowry had "back stiffness" last night, Siakam may sit the next game) will sit out to close out the season, so this should mean more starting opportunities for Yuta

5/05/2021 9:07 am  #131

It is both remarkable and perhaps a little sad that we may already view Yuta's brief NBA career within the context of alltime GW players participating in the NBA.  In less than three full seasons, Yuta now ranks 6th in both games played and minutes played in the NBA among GW players.  He needs 54 more minutes to reach the 1,000 minute mark, and 57 more minutes to pass Yinka Dare for 5th in minutes played (while presently having appeared in 30 fewer games than Yinka).  After Yinka, Yuta will be gunning for Gene Guarilla who presently sits in 4th place in both games played and minutes played with 129 and 1,082 respectively.  After that, it will take some time to move up as our top 3 are:

3) Joe Holup        192 games, 3,526 minutes
2) Corky Devlin    210 games, 4,025 minutes
1) Mike Brown      626 games, 10,961 minutes

If his career proceeds along the lines of what we've recently seen, it is very conceivable that Yuta ends up in 2nd place on this list.  Brownie's mark is a long way off.

Interestingly though, Yuta has already appeared in more games and played more NBA minutes than both Pops and Tyler.

5/06/2021 8:00 pm  #132

Raptors-Wizards on TV tonight.
But alas,Yuta is out with a right ankle sprain.
Could have started and would have played a fair amount in any case.

5/08/2021 10:47 pm  #133

Yuta recovered and actually started Saturday's game.
Looks like 11 points,including 3-5 from 3,4 rebounds and a steal in 24 minutes. 0 turnovers.
Pretty good for half the game.

5/11/2021 6:01 pm  #134

The Raptors host the Clippers tonight at 7:30, the game will not be televised nationally, but Lowry, Siakam, VanVleet and OG(those injuries are tough!! LOL) are all out tonight. There should be plenty of opportunity/minutes for Yuta to have a big game.

8/14/2021 1:09 pm  #135

Yuta is reportedly in Las Vegas and has been on the Raptors summer league roster, though he hasn't played
 yet.
The fact that he is there must mean that his partial guarantee kicked in. It was something like August 11, so he should get at least $375,000 from the Raptors, should they be so evil, shortsighted and insane and not to keep him on the Opening Day roster.
 Full contract, I believe is something like $1.7 million, the minimum for his NBA experience.
   Don't know why Yuta is in Summer League. Better off resting in Japan and enjoying family (and probably endorsements) than risking injury. But the Raptors must want him there, though personally think it's not worth it for him, except for exposure and camaraderie.  And only two games left (he and his agents were smart enough not to put him on the court before partial guarantee kicked in.)
   Anyway, maybe he will play tonight at 7 on the regular NBA TV that seems included on a number of cable systems. For those in Canada (none here as far as I know), it is also on something called TSN2. 

Last edited by jf (8/14/2021 1:10 pm)

8/14/2021 9:05 pm  #136

Biggest problem Yuta has is that for reasons I’ll never understand, they passed on Jalen Suggs (who I thought should maybe have been #1 overall), to take Scottie Barnes.

Barnes, is kind of like a better version of Yuta.  6’8” long arms, great switchable defender, weak outside shot, very athletic but also stronger and quicker than Yuta. I’m guessing most of Yuta’s minutes go to Barnes.

8/14/2021 9:23 pm  #137

Yes, indeed,and added a couple more forwards, too,though had waved some earlier.
If they don't screw with Yuta by not keeping him after going through trading camp,by all rights,he should catch on elsewhere.

10/06/2021 8:05 am  #138

10/06/2021 8:29 am  #139

Thanks. Love seeing Yuta play

10/06/2021 8:42 am  #140

Would love to see Tafara Gapare and Yuta Watanabe hop on a call together to discuss GW basketball.  If Tapara is indeed on the fence about coming, Yuta's journey may very well be of great interest.

Board footera