GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2022 4:06 pm  #1

The new nickname thread

Let´s leave the pros-cons on dropping Colonials to the other thread and use this to discuss possible replacements.

My suggestion is Independents. The school´s namesake was against political parties and led the army that made the USA an independent country. Also, this still gives out-of-town media a chance to spell the name wrong (Independence will be the new Colonels). And it is in keeping with the political hotbed that the University is smack-dab in the center of.

Others have suggested:
1) Revolutionaries-- An easy pick and on-brand. It also would allow the school the change the court at the Smith Center from having pictures of DC area sights to portraits of John Brown, Stokely Carmichael and Eugene Debbs. Sadly, too similar to the MLS team in the Boston area.
2) Carvers-- I like this one, but it may be a bit beyond the mean intellect of mainstream America (then again, Wheel of Fortune and the nutritional information graphic on a cereal box are also beyond the intellect of mainstream America, so that might not be so bad-- the country is in really bad shape). But I don´t see a very eye-pleasing logo-- maybe a Mount Vernon overseer eating peanut butter? not really easy to put on a t-shirt.
3) Hippos-- A million times no. SJT is just some old ex-employee who hangs around the office too much because he is too much of a loser to take up a hobby in his retirement. To reward his ego with this would be to send the University on a death spiral that results in American buying most of the land the campus is on now. Hard pass.
4) Commanders-- Sure. The NFL team has won exactly zero games with that name, and yet still managed to continue insulting racial minorities with its existence (see Del Rio, Jack). Given George Washington´s slave ownership, opponents would refer to the school as "Master and Commander".
5) Bulldog and/or Wildcats-- Of course, there are not enough schools using these nom de guerres out there already. Might as well make vanilla the official school flavour.
6) Districts-- Not exactly a fierce wild animal that will rip your head off, but it does draw attention to where the school is located and, perhaps, increase community interest in the teams. It might also get derided as political ploy to draw attention to the District´s attempt to get Congressional representation and budget autonomy. Accept this only if it comes with a tax break from the city that might otherwise have gone to wasting money on a stadium for the NFl team .

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (6/15/2022 4:12 pm)

6/15/2022 4:15 pm  #2

Re: The new nickname thread

I might accept Independenzzz!
Maybe Capitols (have to share with the Caps), Foxes (had a lot of rabid ones around of late), maybe surveyer's (for George's first job).
Doesn't matter. They'll pick somethng, and we'll have to live with it.

6/15/2022 4:22 pm  #3

Thanks for posting this, GWAA.   

I like referring to us, officially, as The Buff and Blue, but stylized as the Buffs for the team nickname. 

The fight song already calls us the Buff and the Blue, a Buffalo mascot works, and Buffalo (Bison) we’re prevalent all throughout our country during that era.

6/15/2022 4:24 pm  #4

Wokestershttps://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/grin.png

Last edited by GWRising (6/15/2022 4:26 pm)

6/15/2022 4:28 pm  #5

The GW Ewes!

6/15/2022 4:32 pm  #6

BGF wrote:

I like referring to us, officially, as The Buff and Blue, but stylized as the Buffs for the team nickname. 

The fight song already calls us the Buff and the Blue, a Buffalo mascot works, and Buffalo (Bison) we’re prevalent all throughout our country during that era.

I agree and posted the same on the other thread. I'll add that other schools (Stanford, Syracuse) have made the change to a color without much fanfare.  The biggest reason I like it is that Buff(s) would be unique without obviously trying to be unique.

I wouldn't add a new mascot though. Just keep everything the same. Howard had the bison covered for DC.

Last edited by Geno (6/15/2022 4:42 pm)

6/15/2022 4:55 pm  #7

BGF wrote:

Excellent idea, like every aspect of it BGF 

6/15/2022 4:59 pm  #8

Stealing from an old political party I Think we should be the GW “Know Nothings”.  We obviously can’t explain the difference between Colonials and Colonialism.

Or just go opposite.  George Washington RedCoats.  Let’s see if the students understand irony.

6/15/2022 5:43 pm  #9

If we're going to be known as the GW Buff, naked George Washington really ought to be the mascot.

Let's push for Carvers.  Free bags of peanuts whenever the team makes 7 threes in a contest.  

6/15/2022 5:49 pm  #10

For me, a school name works best when it signifies a group that you can be a part of. Even better if it is recognizing a group that your values align with. 

Because GW students already lack school spirit and I don’t believe in GW’s marketing office to properly get me pumped up about an animal or color, my vote would be for Revolutionaries.

For a school as political as GW I think the word will offer multiple meanings to multiple people. And it has a historical bent as well.

6/15/2022 6:23 pm  #11

If we are in a world where the term colonial is considered offensive, I don’t under how revolutionary wouldn’t be as well.  While the American revolution worked out well for us, I’m sure the people of Cuba or Taiwan have a different thought on revolutionaries.  And, if we are in a world where nobody could possibly be offended by any possible name, I don’t see how you can use it.

6/15/2022 6:34 pm  #12

As much as I dislike the prospect of a new name, I find the Buffs appealing.

Back to snark.  For an interim name, the Washington Football Team.  For a permanent name, the Monikers.

6/15/2022 7:15 pm  #13

The District School Bunnies. That can't possibly offend any of the soft ass people who didn't pass 6th grade US History

6/15/2022 7:40 pm  #14

With due respect, Independents is the perhaps the single worst suggestion I’ve heard.  Nothing strikes fear in the hearts of your opponent like people who can’t take sides or who think they are above the fight to decide whether democracy lives or dies.

How about the George Washington Monuments?

Or the Foggy Bottoms.   I think with the latter, you’d sell a ton of merch.

6/15/2022 7:43 pm  #15

WMC wrote:

As much as I dislike the prospect of a new name, I find the Buffs appealing.

Back to snark.  For an interim name, the Washington Football Team.  For a permanent name, the Monikers.

While Buffs is better than independents, I have a problem with naming us after an antiquated color that no one knows exists.  The reaction from 99.9% of people who hear it would be “What does the buffs mean?  Oh, it’s a color sort of like yellow?  Whatever.”   Wouldn’t be memorable or marketable.

6/15/2022 7:46 pm  #16

I can't be the only one excited for the sheer number of streakers if they name them the Buffs right?

Washington Basketball Team. Or keep it classy and reverse the offensiveness with the Washington Red Coats!

6/15/2022 8:16 pm  #17

Free Quebec wrote:

Or the Foggy Bottoms. I think with the latter, you’d sell a ton of merch.

I am not siging off on Foggy Bottoms until AFTER I have secured exclusive rights to sell GW-branded whoopie cushions.

6/15/2022 8:18 pm  #18

PKGW wrote:

Stealing from an old political party I Think we should be the GW “Know Nothings”.

The Church-affiliated schools in the A-10 will love that idea... NOT!

6/15/2022 8:19 pm  #19

Gwmayhem wrote:

Let's push for Carvers.  Free bags of peanuts whenever the team makes 7 threes in a contest.  

Every Karen who is sure her child is allergic to peanuts will rain a steady stream of grief on the school.

6/16/2022 5:07 am  #20

Let's just call ourselves the George Washington University Students. No current student who doesn't understand the difference between a Colonial and colonist can't possibly be offended by calling the teams the Students, right? Or maybe we call them the Student Athletes? We were already way ahead of our time by not referring to women's teams by inserting the word "Lady" into nicknames (which for the record I really liked that we didn't do that), so let's be ahead of our time by showing our inclusivity and just be the GWU Students!

Or maybe Collegiates?

Last edited by ColonialNY (6/16/2022 5:07 am)

Board footera