GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2022 7:38 am  #21

Re: The new nickname thread

I like the Revolutionaries (or Revs for short), though I think the Generals would work as well. Please no Hippos, unless you are dropping to D3. Those kinda names might work for UC Santa Cruz (Banana Slugs), but not for schools competing at a higher level.

6/16/2022 7:49 am  #22

It won’t be the hippos unless we are giving up on women’s sports.  Can’t imagine too many women who want to be called a hippo.

6/16/2022 8:27 am  #23

Free Quebec wrote:

It won’t be the hippos unless we are giving up on women’s sports.  Can’t imagine too many women who want to be called a hippo.

When I was in high school, our tennis team was sponsored by the brand Head. Suffice to say all the women’s gear saying “Team Head” didn’t go over too well.

6/16/2022 8:44 am  #24

If we're getting rid of Colonials because it's too similar to Colonizers there's just no way it's gonna be the Revolutionaries.

Using the above interpretation skills, Revolutionaries could mean the Bolsheviks, the Taiping Rebellion,  the Confederacy,  or even the January 6th folks. There's a "revolutionary" out there to piss off every student and alum.

6/16/2022 8:58 am  #25

said this in other thread and it is worth repeating

anything BUT hippos
nothing will send you to the front of the laughing stock section quicker than choosing (or even entertaining the idea of) that absurd and awful nickname

6/16/2022 9:00 am  #26

Simply amazing. We have some people complaining on the other thread that we aren't paying enough attention to January 6th. But then have no problem with the name Revolutionaries. If you are offended by Colonials, I would think Revolutionaries in this day and age might be more offensive. Just saying.

Revolution - a forcible overthrow of a government or social order in favor of a new system.

6/16/2022 9:29 am  #27

I think in the context of GW revolutionaries is a fine name. Keeping the mascot as George sets the tone for the revolutionary war revolutionaries. Now if the mascot was the crazy face paint and bull horns guy who stormed the capital, then revolutionaries might be a problematic name

6/16/2022 9:36 am  #28

RyanPuleo wrote:

I think in the context of GW revolutionaries is a fine name. Keeping the mascot as George sets the tone for the revolutionary war revolutionaries. Now if the mascot was the crazy face paint and bull horns guy who stormed the capital, then revolutionaries might be a problematic name

So I actually agree with your statement. But replace "Revolutionaries" with "Colonials" in the first sentence of your post. I would agree with that statement too.

If we apply the same framework in analyzing Colonials (i.e., including definitions that clearly don't apply to GW) there's just no way that Revolutionaries gets us to a different result.

6/16/2022 9:40 am  #29

Hatchet Man wrote:

I like the Revolutionaries (or Revs for short), though I think the Generals would work as well. Please no Hippos, unless you are dropping to D3. Those kinda names might work for UC Santa Cruz (Banana Slugs), but not for schools competing at a higher level.

I like Generals - I get the George Washington Generals is a little close to the Washington Generals of Globetrotters ignominy, but i have a feeling it won't resonate with too many people. 

6/16/2022 9:42 am  #30

To me, this is political correctness run amok. And why do this, allow the old moniker to remain in place for another year or two, and not have a new moniker ready to go now? Absurd! The next step, of course, is changing the University's name because the namesake was a slave owner. That's surely coming. 

6/16/2022 9:46 am  #31

"The Team Formerly Known as the Colonials"  (With all due respect to this thread, I wish we were discussing something else, (such as the actual team)  rather than this nonsense.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (6/16/2022 9:47 am)

6/16/2022 9:57 am  #32

How about these monikers: Uniters, Persons of Our Country (can't use Fathers--too sexist),  Bald Eagles (heck with American U),  Super Patriots (heck with George Mason),  Republicans (for our republic--oops not a good choice at this time politically), any animal you choose (as long as it doesn't have legal representation). As for why we're not talking about basketball--nothing is happening right now.

6/16/2022 11:28 am  #33

I don't care as long as its short, plural and has a good diminuative. Better to be the 4TH Rams than too smart by half. Judging by how they want to engage the community, they are mistaking the animus for Colonials in certain quarters with caring about the replacement or the school in general, especially by the students.

If you think GW is a bastion of many bad things and George Washington is an irredeemable historical figurethan the new name is not going to make any difference to you. So when picking a new name better to consider the donors and alums because the name is their BIG connection to the school. They thought the names was theirs.
Its not a question of spiteing those who hated Colonials, but coming up with a name that might be Ok with the people for whom the name mattered most.

Better plain than something that will age terribly. Profit from the Mander and Guardian experiences.

6/16/2022 11:41 am  #34

To be blunt, what makes any of you think they aren't coming for the University name next? Perhaps GW recognized this and did not issue a new moniker because it would be costly and dumb to have to do this twice. Maybe the idea is to see what shakes out over the next year before locking in. I have zero confidence that the Board will be able to fend off those who want the University name changed since they showed little backbone here. The new GW mascot should be one of these in honor of a board who twists with the wind ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222760746263?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1249MgOdwQruqS_rADrzVtA63&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=222760746263&targetid=1599090335257&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9007795&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1599090335257&abcId=9300697&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2_WdnrSy-AIVKoRaBR0JBQ1OEAQYByABEgJHYfD_BwE

6/16/2022 12:07 pm  #35

Rising, about the Board. Yellow Slugs sounds good, Oh!  Cal Tech has dubs on that one. Rebels sounds real good. But Buff and not Grey.

6/16/2022 3:19 pm  #36

GW Tigers.

(Since the English crown is represented by a lion.)

6/16/2022 3:29 pm  #37

Some additional team names for consideration:
GW Thoroughbreds (Washington loved horses)
GW Hunters (Washington also loved to hunt)
GW Cherry Blossoms 

6/16/2022 4:02 pm  #38

Cherry Blossoms is the name of Japan´s national rugby team. Probably the sport´s greatest moment here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxoGMmCsXw

6/16/2022 4:39 pm  #39

22ndandF wrote:

Some additional team names for consideration:
GW Thoroughbreds (Washington loved horses)
GW Hunters (Washington also loved to hunt)
GW Cherry Blossoms 

I'd be fines with CHERRIES

6/16/2022 4:42 pm  #40

GW Metros.

Board footera