GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/16/2022 12:29 pm  #1

LETS GO!! Buff & Blue Fund Challenge 2022

So to everyone who likes to say they are a GW basketball fan, here is an opportunity to show it! You don't have to give much, but help the program out by participating. If you would prefer to give to another GW sports program you can direct your donation anyway you want.

https://www.givecampus.com/schools/GeorgeWashington/buff-blue-fund-challenge-2022/?a=5753679

9/16/2022 2:57 pm  #2

Re: LETS GO!! Buff & Blue Fund Challenge 2022

All the previous $money I gave was diverted to Lonergan's $3 million settlement and Nero's $1.4 million payoff to go away quietly. 

I want my money put to good use so I'm now only donating to causes that fight climate change!

9/16/2022 4:32 pm  #3

Frankly, I need to see or hear about a plan first.  Are we headed to a lower level conference or D3 within the next few years?  Are we staying where we are but will continue to operate on the cheap?  Or, are we going to make a serious commitment towards building a winning program that is sustainable over time?  If it's the latter, great.  What's going to be different?

Will we build a new practice facility?

Will we increase the number of charter flights to games so that the players can rest more and miss less class time?

Will we see any changes regarding academic requirements for players?  Seems like we had two players, Rogers and Gapare, who wanted to be here but were rebuffed due to academics.  Gapare was accepted into DePaul and most recently, UMASS.  Hard to comment without knowing each of these player's academic backgrounds but no matter the case, it would be nice to know whether standards have become more stringent, or at the very least, what the school's take is on this.

Will the school actively seek NIL opportunities for the players?

I also need to know more about how much of "playing in the big leagues" is on us and how much is on the school.  Will the school dip into its endowment to help bankroll this or do things like building a practice facility fall squarely on the shoulders of donors?  

TV states (in her solicitation) that our donations will go to help fund scholarships, cover travel, nutrition, mental health expenses, and support the overall investment necessary to compete for championships.  All worthwhile causes.  But, what about these other areas?  What's being done?  Honestly, I am far less interested in financially supporting a forthcoming D3 program.

9/16/2022 5:00 pm  #4

Gwmayhem wrote:

Frankly, I need to see or hear about a plan first.  Are we headed to a lower level conference or D3 within the next few years?  Are we staying where we are but will continue to operate on the cheap?  Or, are we going to make a serious commitment towards building a winning program that is sustainable over time?  If it's the latter, great.  What's going to be different?

Will we build a new practice facility?

Will we increase the number of charter flights to games so that the players can rest more and miss less class time?

Will we see any changes regarding academic requirements for players?  Seems like we had two players, Rogers and Gapare, who wanted to be here but were rebuffed due to academics.  Gapare was accepted into DePaul and most recently, UMASS.  Hard to comment without knowing each of these player's academic backgrounds but no matter the case, it would be nice to know whether standards have become more stringent, or at the very least, what the school's take is on this.

Will the school actively seek NIL opportunities for the players?

I also need to know more about how much of "playing in the big leagues" is on us and how much is on the school.  Will the school dip into its endowment to help bankroll this or do things like building a practice facility fall squarely on the shoulders of donors?  

TV states (in her solicitation) that our donations will go to help fund scholarships, cover travel, nutrition, mental health expenses, and support the overall investment necessary to compete for championships.  All worthwhile causes.  But, what about these other areas?  What's being done?  Honestly, I am far less interested in financially supporting a forthcoming D3 program.

It is kind of a "chicken and the egg" dichotomy here. One good way to let the administration know that there is a University community dedicated to seeing GW continue to compete (and become more competitive) at the DI level is to see this modest fundraising goal surpassed with little drama or effort. Of course, we the donors might want to know that GW is seeking to continue to compete (and become more competitive) at the DI level before chipping in the modest fundraising goal.
Then again, failure to meet the modest fundraising goal will only feed the beast that wants to see GW give up on competing (and becoming more competitive) at the DI level, ensuring that the thing reticent donors feared becomes a reality.
As the great philosopher Marx said "Money will not make you happy, and happy will not make you money."

9/16/2022 9:02 pm  #5

I contributed to both the men's and the women' programs, the Buff & Blue fund and the Scholarship Fund.  Not bragging at all.  Not a lot of money, but for me, an important commitment to the programs.

9/17/2022 6:39 am  #6

Thanks Keith Greene. I agree its about showing a commitment to the programs.

I urge others to put your past grievances aside and make a small donation to show you're  behind them. 

9/17/2022 10:28 am  #7

I emulated KeithGreene.  Ditto the small gift, go ahead board members - show your support!

9/19/2022 2:51 pm  #8

Just got this email. Thanks Tyler

Dear XXX

The Buff & Blue Fund Challenge is entering the home stretch! The GW Men’s Basketball program has been a strong performer in this competition and we need your help to maintain our momentum. You and all of our terrific alumni are helping build our program back to something we can all be proud of. Thank you for being an engaged member of this GW Men’s Basketball family and allowing the vision of our program to continue to be executed. 

Our alumni have stepped up, including Tyler Cavanaugh, BA ’16, MTA ’18, who agreed to match every gift made to Men’s Basketball dollar for dollar up to $1,000. Let’s capitalize on this valuable bonus opportunity. 

Give now →

I am putting you in the starting five to come up with the winning shot that wins this competition. Let’s do this! 

If we win the Buff & Blue Fund Challenge, we will be able to take our prize winnings to invest in our student-athletes through state-of-the-art training tools and equipment to fully develop them into champions, both on and off the court. 

When I agreed to take over this program last spring, I wanted to bring unparalleled pride and passion back to GW Basketball. We have absolutely instilled this back into the program together! You’ve joined me on this journey, and I am so grateful for all of you. Thank you for your support, and for investing in this new generation of GW Basketball players. 

Now, time to win this contest! Thank you. 

Raise High,

Chris Caputo
Head Coach

9/20/2022 3:57 pm  #9

Agreed, and ditto.

Very cool to see Tyler's strong support of his Alma Matter as well.

Board footera