GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2022 9:55 am  #1

New Nickname and Student Vote

This was mentioned in another topic, so I started a separate thread.

Things continue to get more and more "minor league" about GW Athletics. A student vote would be a catastrophe. On the other hand, the powers that be also seem totally incapable of guaranteeing even the minimal satisfaction for GW's supporters.

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that we should be the GW Buff and Blue. We have always been known as the Colonials AND the Buff and Blue, so why conjure up some corny name just to satisfy a handful of woke administrators who know very little about our sports programs. I totally support this name. Having lived in "Crimson" country for the past 30 years, B and B seems totally appropriate (and couldn't possibly be offensive to anyone)

If there has to be a vote, we need to at least make sure our choices (whatever they may be) get on the list of candidates. So as soon as anyone sees any mention of the "process", please let us all know so we can get in our $.02.

10/13/2022 10:25 am  #2

Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

I was approached at Hoops Fest by someone who worked for the consulting firm and the way the question was framed to me was: Do you think the final choice should be put up to a vote or do you think the Board should just decide? 

I don't recall if they said any vote would be limited to current undergrads.

Last edited by GW0509 (10/13/2022 10:26 am)

10/13/2022 10:59 am  #3

I saw the Hatchet is recommending the Hippos.  I think that is just a terrible name.  I really hope they don't screw up and go for that.  I would be fine with just about any other name, the Buff and Blue, the Generals, the River Horses. 

I know some people think the Generals is a joke because of the Globe Trotters. But I am not sure anyone under the age of 60 knows that. 

Last edited by Deleo (10/13/2022 11:01 am)

10/13/2022 11:18 am  #4

Don't think things have changed enough that this stupid name will be a huge aid in recruiting.
Think about it.
What about PC'ers?

10/13/2022 12:56 pm  #5

How about Wokesters? Add in a new marketing campaign ... GW Virtue Signaling to the World. 

10/13/2022 1:14 pm  #6

You know, I'm 50+ myself, but God you both sound old. The world evolves. Plenty of the colonists were terrible people who enslaved millions and decimated the native population. Those are, as the kids say, Big Facts. So yeah, we didn't worry much about that in our day, but they do and don't want to use the name. So sad ... let's face it, it was always a sucky name.

10/13/2022 2:11 pm  #7

Colonists and Colonials aren't the same thing. Let's start there

10/13/2022 2:16 pm  #8

How about "GW...the University with the most bitter fanbase"?  Maybe have a lemon as a moniker since so many are so sour?

10/13/2022 2:20 pm  #9

Skittles- let's go down the rabbit hole. I have no opinion here. But please tell me what is a "Colonial." My quick google search leads me to dictionary.com. The definition is "an inhabitant of a colony." So, a Colonial, in this sense, would be somebody who inhabited a British colony. I don't really think this is problematic. But also, I don't think it's particularly great either. 

BUt, to me, I don't really care what the nickname is. 

10/13/2022 2:20 pm  #10

Skittles wrote:

Colonists and Colonials aren't the same thing. Let's start there

Yes, but the colonists did plenty of bad things themselves. That's what's getting lost here by many of the Olds.

10/13/2022 2:40 pm  #11

Hatchet Man, but our nickname has never been The Colonists.  Or The Colonizers.  So if Colonials and Colonists are not the same thing, then what am I missing here?  Am open to a history lesson.

10/13/2022 5:21 pm  #12

Gwmayhem wrote:

Hatchet Man, but our nickname has never been The Colonists.  Or The Colonizers.  So if Colonials and Colonists are not the same thing, then what am I missing here?  Am open to a history lesson.

One thing is clear - GW should just disband its history department. They have failed miserably to teach the difference between a "Colonist" and a "Colonial" both definitionally and contextually. 

Gwmayhem - you don't need a history lesson. But some others surely do. Yikes!

And this isn't an issue between young and old, it's between those who favor bullshit virtue signaling and those that oppose it. That spans all ages on both sides.

Last edited by GWRising (10/13/2022 5:23 pm)

10/13/2022 5:55 pm  #13

Nothing to do with Hippos!  That whole thing was Trachtenburg drunk at an art auction and then he donated the damn thing to the university (tax deduction) and a story had to be made up to support it. 

Ps: you don’t ever want to put a black light on that thing.  Just a warning.

10/13/2022 5:59 pm  #14

FWIW Here is part of one of a few emails  I wrote GW,

So, what is my point? Better to be the 10TH Wildcat or Bear than the first Hippo. Whatever is selected it needs a diminutive that in 1 syllable easily completes the cheer, Let's Go _____!

I am begging GW please do not over think this. GW is changing something some found hurtful or damaging. The reserve is NOT true. A new nickname will NOT bind people to the school more closely. It will be regarded as cool, ok, or ridiculous in an instant the way people judge other names or brands.

If the new moniker is something that must be explained, we have lost. How about this as a test, if another school picked the any of the names being contemplated would the reaction be, “What were they thinking?”

10/13/2022 6:40 pm  #15

This whole issue reeks. There is nothing wrong with the name Colonials. The 13 original colonies were British, but they were very different from each other. Read the book "1775" and become educated. The Brits never wanted the different colonies to expand beyond the Appalachians. So, the Colonies revolted. Having a History degree from GW I AM angry about how ignorant people are on this issue. 

But what I really don't like is non alumni voting on this matter. Students may never graduate and faculty who graduated from other Universities should not be involved. I went to Rutgers but I did not graduate from the school. Why should I have the right to vote on whether Scarlet Knights should be canned because of the Crusades? Were all knights involved in the Crusades? 

10/13/2022 7:59 pm  #16

I’m going to bed early.

10/13/2022 10:12 pm  #17

Good God, please please please not the hippos.

10/14/2022 6:41 am  #18

I hate Hippos or anything related to it as a name, but it would pretty well encapsulate stereotypical GW students. I mean, a rich guy went into an antique shop in New England while drunk and bought something. His wife didn't like it or want him to keep it. So he found a way to turn it into a tax write-off by donating it to the school. Then an elaborate story was created to pretend he wasn't just some rich, white drunk guy buying shit he didn't need. Rich people? Check! Tax loopholes? Check! People in New England? Check! Yep, that tracks.

10/14/2022 6:46 am  #19

NYColonial - thanks for the best laugh I have had I a while.  When life has challenges I can always rely upon the wit of someone on the board to give me a well needed reprieve!!!

10/14/2022 10:54 am  #20

The Colonials in the schools case mostly refers to both the time period when the revolution began as well as the colonies of our blossoming country. That is exclusively what it refers to. It was the colonial period. That's not the same thing as a focus on colonizing or the act of creating the original colonies. If "colonials" offends you I agree with the above sentiment of getting rid of the crusaders and cowboys and musketeers and every other Mascot related to troublesome history and activities. Hell, is the GW part next? Without him there's no THIS as we know it. But he had slaves. So where do you draw this line the "woke" culture has demanded of you?

Board footera