GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



10/14/2022 11:18 am  #21


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Skittles wrote:

The Colonials in the schools case mostly refers to both the time period when the revolution began as well as the colonies of our blossoming country. That is exclusively what it refers to. It was the colonial period. That's not the same thing as a focus on colonizing or the act of creating the original colonies. If "colonials" offends you I agree with the above sentiment of getting rid of the crusaders and cowboys and musketeers and every other Mascot related to troublesome history and activities. Hell, is the GW part next? Without him there's no THIS as we know it. But he had slaves. So where do you draw this line the "woke" culture has demanded of you?

It's sort of silly to continue to debate whether or not it was prudent to move away from the Colonials moniker given that the decision has already been made. Even if the rationale was ahistorical, there is a 0% chance that the Board will wake up tomorrow and decide to stick with the name moving forward.  Better to use our energy making sure we don't end up the Hippos or Commanders.

FWIW, SUNY Binghamton used to be the Colonials and they weren't even named after the colonial period but instead a building on campus: Colonial Hall.  When they moved up to D1, they decided to rebrand as the Bearcats.  GW's Board should have just said they wanted to come up with a rebrand without any sort of justification.  I think it would've been received better than being accused of bowing down to the "woke."

One last thing is that a silver lining for a new name will be that announcers will stop incorrectly calling us the Colonels 50% of the time.

Last edited by GW0509 (10/14/2022 11:19 am)

 

10/14/2022 1:33 pm  #22


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Aside from some podcasters filling time, is there any real indication that the new nickname will be decided only by a vote of current students? This thread might be another case of Internet hysteria preceeding actual events.
In any case, students at other schools have voted on replacement nicknames in the past, it is how UC Santa Cruz became the "Banana Slugs" and $nobford became the "Cardinal"-- maybe letting smart alec kids make these decisions is not a great idea (and I want them to get off my lawn and turn down the hippity-hop music).
I am perfectly fine with the new nickname being "Colonials". We had a thread going earlier on nickname suggestions, perhaps someone can bump it to the front for those who want to discuss that angle.
 

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (10/14/2022 1:34 pm)

 

10/14/2022 2:11 pm  #23


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Unlike Colonists or colonizers, Colonials is not really a thing. Frankly, it is kind of a made-up name, like "Billikens". But as bad as Billikens is, it is way better than Hippos. my two cents.

 

10/14/2022 3:01 pm  #24


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

If it weren't for that fact that the rest of us would have to be associated, I would love so much for us to be the Hippos. The ridicule that would follow would be glorious and teach these students a lesson to be careful about the law of unintended consequences. Imagine calling any of the women's teams Hippos. Just wow.

Last edited by GWRising (10/14/2022 3:01 pm)

 

10/14/2022 3:02 pm  #25


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

This whole issue reeks. There is nothing wrong with the name Colonials. The 13 original colonies were British, but they were very different from each other. Read the book "1775" and become educated. The Brits never wanted the different colonies to expand beyond the Appalachians. So, the Colonies revolted. Having a History degree from GW I AM angry about how ignorant people are on this issue. 

But what I really don't like is non alumni voting on this matter. Students may never graduate and faculty who graduated from other Universities should not be involved. I went to Rutgers but I did not graduate from the school. Why should I have the right to vote on whether Scarlet Knights should be canned because of the Crusades? Were all knights involved in the Crusades? 

Nailed it!!!!
 

 

10/14/2022 3:40 pm  #26


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Hippos would be a disaster for recruiting for women’s sports.  Not exactly a flattering nickname.

 

10/14/2022 4:10 pm  #27


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

A female hippo is called a cow.Do we have a problem here?

 

10/14/2022 5:54 pm  #28


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Yes, this was not thought through (what a great surprise).

 

10/14/2022 6:39 pm  #29


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Free Quebec wrote:

Hippos would be a disaster for recruiting for women’s sports.  Not exactly a flattering nickname.

This and Boaty McBoatface  is why GW can’t put it up to a vote

 

10/17/2022 12:07 pm  #30


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Skittles wrote:

The Colonials in the schools case mostly refers to both the time period when the revolution began as well as the colonies of our blossoming country. That is exclusively what it refers to. It was the colonial period. That's not the same thing as a focus on colonizing or the act of creating the original colonies. If "colonials" offends you I agree with the above sentiment of getting rid of the crusaders and cowboys and musketeers and every other Mascot related to troublesome history and activities. Hell, is the GW part next? Without him there's no THIS as we know it. But he had slaves. So where do you draw this line the "woke" culture has demanded of you?

C'mon Skittles there is no line to be drawn because there is rank hypocrisy. These kids are so full of it and it's mostly our generation's fault because we generally raised them in the participation trophy era and acted as snow plow parents so they wouldn't have to suffer consequences of their actions. They scream "Stop Climate Change"  and you say "Ok hand over your iphone and stop taking 20 minute showers." And they say "Wait, what do you mean?" They scream "no more bigotry and racism" but have no problem fully supporting regimes (ex. Palestinians like Hamas) where the culture is to harass and even kill those who identify as LGBTQ. There is no appreciation of anything that came before them and almost everything that came before them should be nullified because it existed in an era that they viewed as fundamentally flawed because there were aspects that were terrible (as if these geniuses don't think 100 years from now people won't find things done today by them to be flawed and terrible). 

 

10/17/2022 1:00 pm  #31


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

GWRising wrote:

Skittles wrote:

The Colonials in the schools case mostly refers to both the time period when the revolution began as well as the colonies of our blossoming country. That is exclusively what it refers to. It was the colonial period. That's not the same thing as a focus on colonizing or the act of creating the original colonies. If "colonials" offends you I agree with the above sentiment of getting rid of the crusaders and cowboys and musketeers and every other Mascot related to troublesome history and activities. Hell, is the GW part next? Without him there's no THIS as we know it. But he had slaves. So where do you draw this line the "woke" culture has demanded of you?

C'mon Skittles there is no line to be drawn because there is rank hypocrisy. These kids are so full of it and it's mostly our generation's fault because we generally raised them in the participation trophy era and acted as snow plow parents so they wouldn't have to suffer consequences of their actions. They scream "Stop Climate Change"  and you say "Ok hand over your iphone and stop taking 20 minute showers." And they say "Wait, what do you mean?" They scream "no more bigotry and racism" but have no problem fully supporting regimes (ex. Palestinians like Hamas) where the culture is to harass and even kill those who identify as LGBTQ. There is no appreciation of anything that came before them and almost everything that came before them should be nullified because it existed in an era that they viewed as fundamentally flawed because there were aspects that were terrible (as if these geniuses don't think 100 years from now people won't find things done today by them to be flawed and terrible). 

 Whoa! Calm down.  Those are some amazing generalizations.
 

 

10/17/2022 1:47 pm  #32


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

How about the GW Rockets?
 

 

10/17/2022 3:14 pm  #33


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

GW73 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Skittles wrote:

The Colonials in the schools case mostly refers to both the time period when the revolution began as well as the colonies of our blossoming country. That is exclusively what it refers to. It was the colonial period. That's not the same thing as a focus on colonizing or the act of creating the original colonies. If "colonials" offends you I agree with the above sentiment of getting rid of the crusaders and cowboys and musketeers and every other Mascot related to troublesome history and activities. Hell, is the GW part next? Without him there's no THIS as we know it. But he had slaves. So where do you draw this line the "woke" culture has demanded of you?

C'mon Skittles there is no line to be drawn because there is rank hypocrisy. These kids are so full of it and it's mostly our generation's fault because we generally raised them in the participation trophy era and acted as snow plow parents so they wouldn't have to suffer consequences of their actions. They scream "Stop Climate Change"  and you say "Ok hand over your iphone and stop taking 20 minute showers." And they say "Wait, what do you mean?" They scream "no more bigotry and racism" but have no problem fully supporting regimes (ex. Palestinians like Hamas) where the culture is to harass and even kill those who identify as LGBTQ. There is no appreciation of anything that came before them and almost everything that came before them should be nullified because it existed in an era that they viewed as fundamentally flawed because there were aspects that were terrible (as if these geniuses don't think 100 years from now people won't find things done today by them to be flawed and terrible). 

 Whoa! Calm down.  Those are some amazing generalizations.
 

 Not that amazing and not that general. Try talking to a few kids especially at schools like GW. I am among them a lot. Gen Z mostly. I am telling you without almost any hesitation that the future is not bright if we continue down this path.

 

10/17/2022 3:33 pm  #34


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

There does seem to be a reported tendency among college students to shoot first, so to speak, and ask
questions later or never. Jump on the hot topic and not consider all the factors, points of view that could contradict it or is at least worth discussing. That is really disturbing for an educational institution.
     Note the stupidity of the name change. 
(Disclaimer: if any recruits/families looking at this--we have an exciting opportunity to be part of a new name and hugely upward basketball trajectory!).

 

10/17/2022 3:41 pm  #35


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Jettisoning the old nickname is a bunch of woke crap! Now we're in big trouble as the two other really good options are taken, ie, Eagles (AU) and Patriots (Mason), although the latter might be too militaristic and America-centric for the woke crowd. How about The George Washington Men's Basketball Club? That shouldn't be too controversial, but it would be tough fitting that on a jersey. 

 

10/17/2022 4:08 pm  #36


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

GWRising wrote:

GW73 wrote:

GWRising wrote:


C'mon Skittles there is no line to be drawn because there is rank hypocrisy. These kids are so full of it and it's mostly our generation's fault because we generally raised them in the participation trophy era and acted as snow plow parents so they wouldn't have to suffer consequences of their actions. They scream "Stop Climate Change"  and you say "Ok hand over your iphone and stop taking 20 minute showers." And they say "Wait, what do you mean?" They scream "no more bigotry and racism" but have no problem fully supporting regimes (ex. Palestinians like Hamas) where the culture is to harass and even kill those who identify as LGBTQ. There is no appreciation of anything that came before them and almost everything that came before them should be nullified because it existed in an era that they viewed as fundamentally flawed because there were aspects that were terrible (as if these geniuses don't think 100 years from now people won't find things done today by them to be flawed and terrible). 

 Whoa! Calm down.  Those are some amazing generalizations.
 

 Not that amazing and not that general. Try talking to a few kids especially at schools like GW. I am among them a lot. Gen Z mostly. I am telling you without almost any hesitation that the future is not bright if we continue down this path.

I do talk to students and young people. I will take the generation 35 and under over our generation.  Could they be better? Sure. But there is hope for them. Just as our generation could have been better when we were their age.  But how did we turn out? Well, you can't blame the mess this country is in on people under 35. That's on us. For example, the racism and the huge gap between the rich and poor are the result of our generation, not people under 35.  

 

 

10/17/2022 4:37 pm  #37


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

When I read the phrase "the participation trophy era", I have to admit that I take exception with this.  First, allow me to start with the actual participation trophy.  This isn't a bad thing in and of itself.  In fact it's a good thing.  I've coached youth sports and at younger ages, my kids' faces beamed as I handed out their participation trophies.  They developed a sense of accomplishment and confidence at a young age.  A good thing. 

Interestingly, the league I was coaching in decided at a point to stop providing these.  Trophies only went to division and league champions.  At first, I was faced with "where's my trophy?", from players and parents alike.  When I explained what the new policy was going to be, everyone understood.  Nobody cried.  Nobody complained.  Nobody was outraged that something which had historically been provided was no longer gointg to be.

Today, my own children are young adults.  I look at them and their friends.  There isn't a spoiled brat to be found.  Not one who expects something for nothing.  They all seem to understand the value of working hard, contributing to society, and being compensated fairly for effort and performance.  

Over the course of history, practically involving any group of people concerning any issue, there has been and will always be a few bad apples to spoil the bunch.  These voices tend to be louder than others which may explain in part why the "participation trophy generation" tends to get stereotyped and whose opinions often tend to get magnified.  There's no denying that there are spoiled, selfish people in this world.  But are there really any more of them in Generation Z than in any other generation?

You'll notice that I have not used the word woke until now.  Those characterized as woke tend to be often perceived by some as selfish and petulant.  Again, to be certain, some of these individuals are likely just that.  But is that how every woke person came to be?  Or maybe, they simply hold passionate views about changing the world for what they see as for the better, but don't necessarily feel any sense of entitlement for holding these views?  Can we all agree that this possibility certainly is viable?

I'll say this very simply.  I am far, far more turned off by someone who is selfish,  or by someone who feels falsely entitled, than I am someone who is perceived as woke.  Merely handing out participation trophies did not cause this.  At the same time, ultimately demanding and feeling entitled to receive these trophies did not help matters.

 

10/17/2022 5:21 pm  #38


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Personally I think Buff and Blue or Revolutionaries would be the best. Hippos would suck.

Also all the stuff about participation trophies -- who gives those trophies? It's not the kids.

 

10/17/2022 5:29 pm  #39


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Gwmayhem wrote:

When I read the phrase "the participation trophy era", I have to admit that I take exception with this.  First, allow me to start with the actual participation trophy.  This isn't a bad thing in and of itself.  In fact it's a good thing.  I've coached youth sports and at younger ages, my kids' faces beamed as I handed out their participation trophies.  They developed a sense of accomplishment and confidence at a young age.  A good thing. 

Interestingly, the league I was coaching in decided at a point to stop providing these.  Trophies only went to division and league champions.  At first, I was faced with "where's my trophy?", from players and parents alike.  When I explained what the new policy was going to be, everyone understood.  Nobody cried.  Nobody complained.  Nobody was outraged that something which had historically been provided was no longer gointg to be.

Once again, GWMayhem shoots and scores. Great post.

Today, my own children are young adults.  I look at them and their friends.  There isn't a spoiled brat to be found.  Not one who expects something for nothing.  They all seem to understand the value of working hard, contributing to society, and being compensated fairly for effort and performance.  

Over the course of history, practically involving any group of people concerning any issue, there has been and will always be a few bad apples to spoil the bunch.  These voices tend to be louder than others which may explain in part why the "participation trophy generation" tends to get stereotyped and whose opinions often tend to get magnified.  There's no denying that there are spoiled, selfish people in this world.  But are there really any more of them in Generation Z than in any other generation?

You'll notice that I have not used the word woke until now.  Those characterized as woke tend to be often perceived by some as selfish and petulant.  Again, to be certain, some of these individuals are likely just that.  But is that how every woke person came to be?  Or maybe, they simply hold passionate views about changing the world for what they see as for the better, but don't necessarily feel any sense of entitlement for holding these views?  Can we all agree that this possibility certainly is viable?

I'll say this very simply.  I am far, far more turned off by someone who is selfish,  or by someone who feels falsely entitled, than I am someone who is perceived as woke.  Merely handing out participation trophies did not cause this.  At the same time, ultimately demanding and feeling entitled to receive these trophies did not help matters.

 

 

10/17/2022 6:12 pm  #40


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Gwmayhem -

To be clear, it is the combination of participation trophies and snow plow parenting that has led to most of the issues. So I blame the parents not the kids. This generation has become entitled in a different way. because they have been sheltered from any negative outcomes and told they are special at every turn no matter the behavior or action (see Mom, I got a trophy even when I finished last and it's the same trophy as the champions got ... see Mom, I failed the test but they are going to pass me anyway because it's the teacher's fault I failed ... see Mom, I walked out of school to protest ____________, but even though its against the rules to leave school, they will not punish me because the administration believes in the cause I was protesting) . The entitlement is also that they can conduct themselves as they please without consequence if they believe their cause is just (whether or not is in fact just). If you think that is a recipe for productive individuals within a society then we will just have to agree to disagree because life comes at you fast and all the participation trophies and snow plow parenting can't protect you forever from the consequences of life. These kids are ill-prepared for adversity and when it strikes you can see it. Perhaps GW69 can weigh in here but everything I read is suicides are up for Gen Z, more Gen Z kids on anti-depressants than ever before, and there is more anger and disrespect of fellow humans than at probably anytime in recent memory. Whatever we are doing isn't working!


 

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum