GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



10/17/2022 6:55 pm  #41


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

GWRising wrote:

Skittles wrote:

The Colonials in the schools case mostly refers to both the time period when the revolution began as well as the colonies of our blossoming country. That is exclusively what it refers to. It was the colonial period. That's not the same thing as a focus on colonizing or the act of creating the original colonies. If "colonials" offends you I agree with the above sentiment of getting rid of the crusaders and cowboys and musketeers and every other Mascot related to troublesome history and activities. Hell, is the GW part next? Without him there's no THIS as we know it. But he had slaves. So where do you draw this line the "woke" culture has demanded of you?

C'mon Skittles there is no line to be drawn because there is rank hypocrisy. These kids are so full of it and it's mostly our generation's fault because we generally raised them in the participation trophy era and acted as snow plow parents so they wouldn't have to suffer consequences of their actions.). 

I really don’t care to get involved in this argument, but I just want to say that the “participation trophy” argument about young people is like the dumbest, most trite, snowflake argument someone can make.   

You know who grew up with participation trophies?  Every friggin American under the age of 55, maybe older.  I was getting them when I was 8 - and I’m 52.   So the idea that kids today are a problem because of participation trophies is just such a lazy, inaccurate canard. 

If you’re going to use it to talk smack about kids today, like you are a hard ass and kids today are just soft compared to you, you might as well wear a shirt that says “I’m an old snowflake who likes to complain about young people, doesn’t care about facts, and is using the same jokes comedians were making in 35 years ago.”  And you can top it off with the “I’m the real victim.  No seriously” hat that completes the ensemble.

 

10/17/2022 8:04 pm  #42


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

I find the use of the word "woke" as an adjective to be silly.  If you wanna say "politically correct" or "PC" go ahead, but "woke" is the past tense of a verb.

 

10/17/2022 9:00 pm  #43


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Free Quebec wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Skittles wrote:

The Colonials in the schools case mostly refers to both the time period when the revolution began as well as the colonies of our blossoming country. That is exclusively what it refers to. It was the colonial period. That's not the same thing as a focus on colonizing or the act of creating the original colonies. If "colonials" offends you I agree with the above sentiment of getting rid of the crusaders and cowboys and musketeers and every other Mascot related to troublesome history and activities. Hell, is the GW part next? Without him there's no THIS as we know it. But he had slaves. So where do you draw this line the "woke" culture has demanded of you?

C'mon Skittles there is no line to be drawn because there is rank hypocrisy. These kids are so full of it and it's mostly our generation's fault because we generally raised them in the participation trophy era and acted as snow plow parents so they wouldn't have to suffer consequences of their actions.). 

I really don’t care to get involved in this argument, but I just want to say that the “participation trophy” argument about young people is like the dumbest, most trite, snowflake argument someone can make.

You know who grew up with participation trophies? Every friggin American under the age of 55, maybe older. I was getting them when I was 8 - and I’m 52. So the idea that kids today are a problem because of participation trophies is just such a lazy, inaccurate canard.

If you’re going to use it to talk smack about kids today, like you are a hard ass and kids today are just soft compared to you, you might as well wear a shirt that says “I’m an old snowflake who likes to complain about young people, doesn’t care about facts, and is using the same jokes comedians were making in 35 years ago.” And you can top it off with the “I’m the real victim. No seriously” hat that completes the ensemble.

 
Haha guy with snowflake moniker comes on here to respond to something he claims to not care about and makes the biggest snowflake argument yet. Thanks for making my point and it figures you got participation trophies as a child. 

 

10/17/2022 9:02 pm  #44


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

keithgreene wrote:

I find the use of the word "woke" as an adjective to be silly.  If you wanna say "politically correct" or "PC" go ahead, but "woke" is the past tense of a verb.

 It's actually an adjective in its proper use - silly or not.

Last edited by GWRising (10/17/2022 9:03 pm)

 

10/17/2022 9:35 pm  #45


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Anyone who unironically uses the terms "woke" or "snowflake" is unserious. Hate to state the obvious, but Gen Z is in almost zero positions of power anywhere in the world. Stuff doesn't suck because of us and to write off a whole generation based on strawman arguments and bad experiences on this campus is silly.

It's all old men yelling at clouds on this board.

 

10/18/2022 6:17 am  #46


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

In any event, we can't use "Hippos" as a mascot. Why? It would offend and oppress the hippopotamus community not only here but around the world. Also, hippopotamuses don't like their name shortened to "Hippo."

 

10/18/2022 8:57 am  #47


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

CAM wrote:

Anyone who unironically uses the terms "woke" or "snowflake" is unserious. Hate to state the obvious, but Gen Z is in almost zero positions of power anywhere in the world. Stuff doesn't suck because of us and to write off a whole generation based on strawman arguments and bad experiences on this campus is silly.

It's all old men yelling at clouds on this board.

 Funny ... complains about strawman arguments and that it's silly to write off a whole generation because of them ... then states "it's all old men yelling at clouds on this board."  

For the record, "woke" and "snowflake" aren't terms invented by baby boomers and if you want power, you have to vote first which many Gen Z's can't seem to find the time to do because it's "too hard".

Of course, there are exceptions to all of this but we are talking the rule not the exceptions. Finally, what are the strawman arguments? Please list them with specificity if you are going to label them as such.

 

10/18/2022 9:07 am  #48


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

GWRising, I wonder if your views are shaped as a result of being around a great number of gifted youth basketball players.  I can more readily understand your points when viewed in this context.  Many of these young men and women started out being exceptional players at a very young age.  Certainly some but not all were coddled, overly praised to the point where it becomes difficult for the young person to grasp a true sense of reality.  It would be easy under these circumstances to become spoiled.  Adults are undoubtedly fighting to become your coach and if that relationship works well, maybe your handler, manager, agent, or who knows what else.  This is sadly realized in most youth sports where there is potential to earn exorbitant sums of money by playing professionally (or today, even in college thanks to NIL).

I don't want to accuse you of anything but the problem if in fact your views are largely held based on your experiences with talented basketball players is that this subset really does not represent young adults, Generation Z (call it what you will) as a whole.  For that matter, neither does sharing statistics on teen suicides.  This again is a very small subset of the teenage/young adult population as a whole.  When you ascribe comments to an entire generation, as you've done in this thread, you really need to evaluate the entire generation as a whole.  There will always be plenty of exceptions to most anything.  And, I'm sure my own views based on the people I know who are a part of this generation may also be too narrow.  Nevertheless, I'll stand by my position that the vast majority of individuals within this generation are neither woke nor are they snowflakes.  They aren't lazy or overly spoiled.  Sure they want a better world but who among us does not want this?  In fact, because they (again, as a whole) seem more willing to display their activism towards causes that resonate with them is all the more reason not to put them in the selfish/lazy box.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (10/18/2022 10:05 am)

 

10/18/2022 12:27 pm  #49


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

You're right Rising, I was a little too broad with my categorization of the 408 registered users on this site. I should have specified it to the 15 most active rage-loving, freedom fighters here. And if you think that writing off a quarter of the US population as entitled and woke snowflakes is comparable to what I said, then I can't help you. Also, I never said woke and snowflake were invented by the older generations, just that they have been so pounded into the ground in the recent years that it is impossible to take anyone who uses the terms seriously and think they are debating in good faith.

The oldest members of the generation are something like 26, and half can't vote at all so I'm not sure what your point is there.

You're strawman and exaggerated arguments are pretty much your the entirety of your last several messages in this thread. Your phone and showers comparison to climate change is a conversation you've never had and ignores the main issue, your Palestinian-LGBTQ comparison is again an obvious simplification of the issue, saying none of us appreciate anything that came before us is something you just made up to exaggerate, saying we compare participation trophies to first-place trophies is made up, and you make it sound like kids are missing five hours of class per day with walk-out protests. Even if you're around Gen Z for any substantial amount of time, you don't actually understand anything.

Sorry I had to get off topic there to break up the circle-jerk for a little bit, I won't do it again.

Anyways, I think we should be called GW Instigators.

Last edited by CAM (10/18/2022 12:37 pm)

 

10/18/2022 1:06 pm  #50


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Please not Hippos. How about Wood Choppers after George's teeth?

 

10/18/2022 1:29 pm  #51


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

I'm going to pull GWAA's wooden teeth and implant The Statesmen for him to chew on.

 

10/18/2022 1:53 pm  #52


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

I still recommend the GW Rockets!

 

10/18/2022 3:03 pm  #53


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Hemp Growers. Isn't this what George in a barrel was all about. Like Nebraska Corn Huskers. Go smoke weed! That's a nice cheer.

 

10/18/2022 3:15 pm  #54


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

He made whiskey too. GW Distillers?

 

10/18/2022 3:23 pm  #55


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

"Good news" for everyone...it seems as if anyone can be part of the renaming of the George Washington Colonials. Students, Alum, those who live nearby, those who live far away. With our fanbase, I'm guessing that Dayton, or maybe even UNCC will name us. That could be great!

https://www.research.net/r/gw-media
To be honest, I am very disappointed in the GWU. Not only for this, but all of the other mistakes that they have made through the years.

Oh yeah, I found this as an ad on Facebook. Wonderful.
 

Last edited by chrisw (10/18/2022 3:25 pm)

 

10/18/2022 3:46 pm  #56


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Number of unique posters who have commented on this thread or the other
nickname thread in recent days: 30

Number of unique posters who have enthusiastically expressed congratulations
or excitement about Trey Autry giving his verbal to GW:   7

Just saying it would be nice to put this board's emphasis back on basketball again.
 

 

10/18/2022 4:03 pm  #57


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

CAM wrote:

You're right Rising, I was a little too broad with my categorization of the 408 registered users on this site. I should have specified it to the 15 most active rage-loving, freedom fighters here. And if you think that writing off a quarter of the US population as entitled and woke snowflakes is comparable to what I said, then I can't help you. Also, I never said woke and snowflake were invented by the older generations, just that they have been so pounded into the ground in the recent years that it is impossible to take anyone who uses the terms seriously and think they are debating in good faith.

The oldest members of the generation are something like 26, and half can't vote at all so I'm not sure what your point is there.

You're strawman and exaggerated arguments are pretty much your the entirety of your last several messages in this thread. Your phone and showers comparison to climate change is a conversation you've never had and ignores the main issue, your Palestinian-LGBTQ comparison is again an obvious simplification of the issue, saying none of us appreciate anything that came before us is something you just made up to exaggerate, saying we compare participation trophies to first-place trophies is made up, and you make it sound like kids are missing five hours of class per day with walk-out protests. Even if you're around Gen Z for any substantial amount of time, you don't actually understand anything.

Sorry I had to get off topic there to break up the circle-jerk for a little bit, I won't do it again.

Anyways, I think we should be called GW Instigators.

 I think a Ronald Reagan quote is apt here .. You know so much that just isn't so.

First of all Gen Z is about 20% of the population not 25% a mere 16 million plus off. Per Statista.
Second, of the voting age Gen Zers about 50% plus or minus participate in elections ... far lower than the old men you complain about. Per Washington Post 10/10/2022. If everything is so wrong why don't you participate at higher rates? 
Third, young progressives wore the term "woke" as a badge and used the term as a virtue signal before and throughout the 2020 election cycle. Now you don't like it and it's non-serious? Sorry you need to deal with what you created.
Fourth, I wish I made all that stuff up. I am around Gen Z a lot from my own kids and their friends, to teams I coach or mentor, to employees, to general every day interactions. Sadly, I did not make any of it up and believe me there is a whole host of other examples for sake of brevity weren't repeated here. Own it and fix it if it applies. Again, it does not apply to everyone but when it does apply, owning it and fixing it is called accountability. 
Fifth, the only difference between me and you is experience. You learn from experience or put another way, as you age, you will learn that all of us old guys (I'm not even that old lol) will get a lot smarter over time. We see shit you don't even see right now but you will, I promise.
Finally, you are aggrieved. I get it. Somebody just told you they think your generation's shit generally stinks and you are shocked and offended. You think our parents didn't think the same? Perhaps instead of being perpetually offended by that you might consider the information like we did. You can call me old man all you like. Doesn't phase me. Doubt it phases anyone who you consider "old". We're way past being offended - that's a general statement - we do have exceptions. See Free Quebec above lol.

 

10/18/2022 9:59 pm  #58


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

GWRising wrote:

Skittles wrote:

The Colonials in the schools case mostly refers to both the time period when the revolution began as well as the colonies of our blossoming country. That is exclusively what it refers to. It was the colonial period. That's not the same thing as a focus on colonizing or the act of creating the original colonies. If "colonials" offends you I agree with the above sentiment of getting rid of the crusaders and cowboys and musketeers and every other Mascot related to troublesome history and activities. Hell, is the GW part next? Without him there's no THIS as we know it. But he had slaves. So where do you draw this line the "woke" culture has demanded of you?

C'mon Skittles there is no line to be drawn because there is rank hypocrisy. These kids are so full of it and it's mostly our generation's fault because we generally raised them in the participation trophy era and acted as snow plow parents so they wouldn't have to suffer consequences of their actions. They scream "Stop Climate Change"  and you say "Ok hand over your iphone and stop taking 20 minute showers." And they say "Wait, what do you mean?" They scream "no more bigotry and racism" but have no problem fully supporting regimes (ex. Palestinians like Hamas) where the culture is to harass and even kill those who identify as LGBTQ. There is no appreciation of anything that came before them and almost everything that came before them should be nullified because it existed in an era that they viewed as fundamentally flawed because there were aspects that were terrible (as if these geniuses don't think 100 years from now people won't find things done today by them to be flawed and terrible). 

This. Perfectly summarized. Everyone got a trophy 20 years ago and now you can't have an opposing opinion without a label. This new age is hell

 

10/18/2022 10:02 pm  #59


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

moneybox wrote:

In any event, we can't use "Hippos" as a mascot. Why? It would offend and oppress the hippopotamus community not only here but around the world. Also, hippopotamuses don't like their name shortened to "Hippo."

It's actually hippx so nobody can misgender them!

 

10/19/2022 12:25 am  #60


Re: New Nickname and Student Vote

Ding ding. Yep

Gwmayhem wrote:

Number of unique posters who have commented on this thread or the other
nickname thread in recent days: 30

Number of unique posters who have enthusiastically expressed congratulations
or excitement about Trey Autry giving his verbal to GW:   7

Just saying it would be nice to put this board's emphasis back on basketball again.
 

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum