GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2022 11:35 am  #1

Who can The A10 Least Afford To Lose

https://vote.pollcode.com/39288541

Not sure if I've done this correctly, so use the poll feature above if I have, or answer on this thread if I haven't:

The Big East is talking expansion again and while Gonzaga is on their radar, so are several A10 schools.  Which A10 men's basketball program can the conference least afford to lose?

A) Dayton
B) St. Louis
C) VCU
D) Other

10/25/2022 12:30 pm  #2

Re: Who can The A10 Least Afford To Lose

What's interesting is all of these schools are not original members of the A10.  Dayton has the longest tenure of 27 years.  

I voted Dayton just because of their arena's status as the First Four venue, but if you look at the history of the A10, they've always done a good of replacing "irreplaceable schools."  Even in 2013 when we lost Xavier and Temple, we had VCU come in a year earlier and shortly thereafter added Davidson.  If we were to lose any of these schools, we've already got their replacement in the fold with Loyola Chicago.

10/25/2022 12:46 pm  #3

If the Conference wants to be better balanced it needs to go South. They are set in the Midwest. They have nothing south of DC. VCU would be their logical first choice in my view.

Last edited by Alum1 (10/25/2022 12:46 pm)

10/26/2022 9:07 am  #4

https://i0.wp.com/sportleaguemaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2022-Big-East-Conference-Map.jpg?resize=1024%2C394&ssl=1

On first look, I'd argue that they need to do Creighton a solid and shore up a travel partner and area rival, and when you think of the next TV deal, what are the major media markets available for picking up? You've already got five of the top eight with New York, Chicago, Philly, Boston (if you give Providence that credit), and DC. Dayton doesn't give you much that you're already getting from Xavier from a media buy standpoint, so I think you're looking at Detroit (#13) or Minneapolis-St. Paul (#15) for the media buy, or Saint Louis (#21) or Kansas City (#33) to throw Creighton a bone. That to me makes SLU the biggest contender to leave the conference out of those suggested. 

VCU is a public school in the #55 DMA. Yes, they'll be competitive but I don't know that they're necessarily going to bring in so much tournament revenue that it will be better than an enhanced TV deal. 

10/27/2022 7:55 pm  #5

The A-10 can least afford to lose Dayton because it's the most affluent alumni base and larger metro area market (I'm assuming). They have alumni all over the country. They win a lot. The A-10 would take a big step down without Dayton. Hopefully the Flyers have no aspirations to play 1-A football.

Board footera