GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/07/2022 11:29 am  #1

Make This Change, GW

By nature, I am really not a "cancel culture" type of person.  There are plenty out there who show far more activism over a multitude of issues than I do.  In fact, I often find myself asking "whether we really need to do this" over some issues.  Sometimes, cancel culture does extend a bit too far in my opinion.

I am happy though to draw the line when it comes to anti-semitism or even a passive condonement of anti-semitism.  Which brings us to Adidas, the official athletic apparel company of GW athletics (and many other schools).  Adidas eventually did the right thing by terminating its working relationship with Kanye West or Ye or by however else this anti-semite is going by these days.  Nevertheless, it took Adidas a full week to reach this decision, citing it's highly successful collaboration with Yeezy, indicating how "proud" they were of this association, and not once making a public statement admonishing hate speech or anti-semitism as the company conducted its review.

I mention this today because it's opening night, the night I annually treat myself to some new article of GW clothing.  Not this year.  Not ever again as long as Adidas remains a partner to GW.  Now, I fully understand that little can be done at this point in time for GW to sever a relationship with Adidas.  The merchandise has been produced and is available for sale.  Don't buy it.  Any of it.  Want a shirt?  Get in touch with board regular Squid who is seliing his own shirts. 

Some of you might be wondering whether I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.  After all, Adidas did eventually come around to the correct side, right?  Unfortunately, this badly misses the point.  No company should be putting profits above hate speech of any kind.  The second Adidas announced that it was reviewing the situation, it screwed up.  Royally.  Implied in that position is maybe Ye's remarks "weren't quite so bad", or maybe this "would blow over in a few days."  Inexcusable.  Not helping matters is Adidas's early ties to nazism where it served as a weapon manufacturer for the Germans during World War II.  

So please, let's all do without any GW merchandise this one season that carries the Adidas brand name.  And GW, for next season, let's have a new apparel manufacturer in place.

11/07/2022 12:11 pm  #2

Re: Make This Change, GW

Only question I have is are you going to hold that same energy for Nike and Amazon based upon Kyrie?

11/07/2022 12:16 pm  #3

Then again, it took you longer to post your unhappiness with Adidas than it took Adidas to end its partnership with the antisemite. It is a bad look on Adidas´ part, but for a while the company was also the kit sponsor for Israel. So?
Also, my youth would not have been the same without this...    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx0huz6TiLo

11/07/2022 12:37 pm  #4

GWAA, the timing of my post was entirely calculated.  I deliberately waited until the day of the first game, when fans would be attending and perhaps prone to purchase new GW gear, to state my views.  Post this a week ago and the issue may very well have been forgotten by now.

Rising, apples to oranges.  My post asks fellow GW fans to boycott Adidas merchandise and that GW dump Adidas once they are able to.  Not sure what Nike or Amazon have to do with GW.

11/07/2022 12:45 pm  #5

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWAA, the timing of my post was entirely calculated.  I deliberately waited until the day of the first game, when fans would be attending and perhaps prone to purchase new GW gear, to state my views.  Post this a week ago and the issue may very well have been forgotten by now.

Rising, apples to oranges.  My post asks fellow GW fans to boycott Adidas merchandise and that GW dump Adidas once they are able to.  Not sure what Nike or Amazon have to do with GW.

Not exactly. There are Amazon lockers on campus. However, in general, since you said you weren't buying anything with an Adidas/GW logo I am wondering if your personal choice would extend to Nike and Amazon as far as other aspects should the situation arise.

11/07/2022 1:19 pm  #6

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Not exactly. There are Amazon lockers on campus. However, in general, since you said you weren't buying anything with an Adidas/GW logo I am wondering if your personal choice would extend to Nike and Amazon as far as other aspects should the situation arise.

Can't really give you a good answer without learning more about the Kyrie/Nike/Amazon situation.  I do know that Kyrie has since apologized for his actions.  We can decide for ourselves whether this was a sincere apology or not but in any case, this is certainly more than Kanye has done.  

11/07/2022 5:24 pm  #7

Well, ur cancelled mr mayhem!

Board footera